The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator

I totally get your point.

Our only hope is that when and if Wiliam becomes King....equal succession will be on the table and if he has a first born daughter, she will become Queen.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

For some reason I have the feeling that a Queen even after Charles would have been wonderful, someone for HM to teach like she has done wonderfully with Anne.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Yes it would be nice. Unfortunately for Anne and many outstanding daughters...she was born in a different era. Although each English Queen has done an outstanding job....Elizabeth I, Victoria and Elizabeth II...Anne II (would have been great!).

Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Anne II, who was first?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Anne...sister of Mary (of William and Mary ) daughter of James II. Last of the Stuarts.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Ahh yes my apolgies. Well lets hope for equal primogenture or all girls for William.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Unless you are discussing the possibility of giving all children of a monarch (or heir) succession rights regardless of their gender or "legitimacy" of birth, I am not sure what you mean by "equal" primogeniture.

No kind of primogeniture brings the best on the throne. If you want the best candidate on the throne, go for elective monarchy.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Absolute, equal or lineal primogeniture, known in French as aînesse intégrale (integral primogeniture), is inheritance by the oldest surviving child without regard to gender. It is also known as (full) cognatic primogeniture today. This form of primogeniture was not practiced by any modern monarchy before 1980.

It's easier to call it Equal Primogenture.

An elective monarchy wouldn't be the same as it is today. Either Monarch or President.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Ahh yes my apolgies. Well lets hope for equal primogenture or all girls for William.

Only if it is extended to all titles as well. To me it is totally ridiculous that Beatrice could theoretically become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.

If they ever change the law regarding inheritance to the throne it should add to all titles.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
All I can say is that Charles will most certainly put his mark on being king and his reign will be very different from that of his mother.
That I would definitely agree with. Queen Elizabeth keeps her personal views to herself, but I don`t think Charles will. He has his own opinions on things and he isn`t afraid to make them heard. Charles doesn`t seem like someone who`d be comfortable just going along with the status quo, the way last few monarchs mostly have been. I think he really wants to make a difference. Whether that`s a good or a bad thing depends on your perspective.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think the months between the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the coronation are doing to be fill of constitutional legal wranglings. I expect that Charles' will not be coronated in any religious fashion and that will serve his 'defender of the faiths' credo. just like his legal team will come up with a way to have Camilla crown Queen without her becoming Queen.
He will also narrow down the family. I expect the first in the firing line will be the Kents, Glouchester, Wessexs and Princess Alexander. It will simply be explained that they are not longer necessary and will be shortly dismissed. It depends on his own family whether he will do the same to Princess Anne and Andrew and his children. If William and Harry is married - they will also not be needed. So the royal family will simply be - the current Wales family with spouses.
I expect the family to be media savvy. Otherwise saying they will live out of the hands of the press. This is not to say that this will be good as I expect the Wales to have more problems then they have already faced in the future.

Andrew and Anne could possibly go on to jobs in the UN. It might work well. Anne could do her Save the Children full time. I expect that Beatrice and Eugenie will became fully American probably marry there and raise their family there. Edward and Sophie could possibly do something similiar and the possiblities are endless for Louise.
I only feel sorry for the elder members of the royal family. They are too old to start something new. Maybe Charles will let them continue doing engagements till their deaths.
I also expect the royal households to be narrow down. I believe that Sandringham and the scotish castle will be giving to back to the Government. Kensington Palace will possibly became the new American embassy.

I expect Charles and maybe William to reign (if you could call it that ) will not last long. Scotland will move away. As will Australia, New Zealand and Canada and after that they will no longer be the figurehead of the Commonwealth. I expect the monarchy to be dissolved within a decade of the Queen's death. The reign of Prince Charles and William will be in final death knell.
Sounds like some wishful thinking to me.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

To all you that are familiar with the Brittish rules regarding titles - will not Camilla become Queen when Charles ascends the throne whether she choose to use the title or not?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

Ohhhh, I can't imagine british monarchy without Elizabeth. It will be hard but the day will come and then Charles will be a cute king.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Serene Highness

I would hope that by the time William is crowned King that his firstborn whether the child be male or female will be heir to the throne.

I would also think the "Defender of the Faith" should be done away.

No monarchy in recent times has been "Defender of the faith". The Queen is not a religious leader nor does she make policy or edicts in regard to Anglican faith. IMO this would be the definition of "Defender of the faith."
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

It is a great comfort to know that HM is a devout Christian lady. The title Fid Def is most apt. Charles is also devout - though in a somewhat different way. The Windsors need to retain their Protestant faith and the title bestowed by Leo X or they are a godless monarchy. The dynasty without a firm Protestant faith would be vulnerable to all manner of erratic, destabilising influences.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think that the British Royal family is the only monarchy that ever had such a title. I don't recall any other royal household having the title or similiar title of "Defender of the Faith". I agree with you rob2008. The Queen is a devout Christian lady. No doubt about that.

I don't see the Windsors leaving their faith anytime soon. I'm assuming that Kate is Anglican in religion so there's no issue there as far as religion goes if they marry.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
To all you that are familiar with the Brittish rules regarding titles - will not Camilla become Queen when Charles ascends the throne whether she choose to use the title or not?

In the week before the wedding that question was asked in Parliament, along with whether or not she would also become Princess of Wales on her wedding day and the answer was 'yes' to both questions.

She is HRH The Princess of Wales and she will instantly become HM Queen Camilla at Charles' accession. What will be needed is legislation to create a new title for her - Duke of Cornwall is one of Charles' titles so Camilla is simply using a different title of Charles' (and the one that he has held for the longest time having been Duke of Cornwall since 1952 whereas he didn't become Prince of Wales until 1958).
Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
It is a great comfort to know that HM is a devout Christian lady. The title Fid Def is most apt. Charles is also devout - though in a somewhat different way. The Windsors need to retain their Protestant faith and the title bestowed by Leo X or they are a godless monarchy. The dynasty without a firm Protestant faith would be vulnerable to all manner of erratic, destabilising influences.

Leo X might have given Henry VIII that title but the Pope at the time of the break with Rome removed it. That was Pope Paul III.

The current version of the title dates from 1544 when the Parliament of England regranted the title to the king and all monarchs since then, except Mary I as the title now relates to defender the protestant faith against Roman Catholicism more than anything.

I agree though that they need to retain that title and their distinctly Protestant viewpoint but would like to see them follow the Scandinavians and insist on Anglicans only rather than allow anyone except Roman Catholics.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I think that the British Royal family is the only monarchy that ever had such a title. I don't recall any other royal household having the title or similiar title of "Defender of the Faith". I agree with you rob2008. The Queen is a devout Christian lady. No doubt about that.

I don't see the Windsors leaving their faith anytime soon. I'm assuming that Kate is Anglican in religion so there's no issue there as far as religion goes if they marry.

King Henry I of Hait also used that title.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Gentry

I have heard it is in bad taste to talk about the next reign when the current one is still going on (a long time but still the protocol must be observed). Not sure how accurate that is but I would rather not think about life without that great lady at the healm of the British monarchy.

I almost want to say it will be like when Queen Victoria died, but am also tempted to say it will be like when Franz Josef of Austria- Hungary died: without that great old symbol of unity the whole system will dissolve in a few months. On the whole would rather not think about it.

Tags
future of the monarchy