The Lascelles Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lilianda Rose Pearce (Sophies's daughter), born in 2010.

My condolences to her two sons and her grandchildren. I know Mark has 3, not sure about her son from her first marriage.

My condolences to her two sons and her grandchildren. I know Mark has 3, not sure about her son from her first marriage.

Yes, Mark has three daughters: Charlotte (24-1-1996), Imogen (3-1-1998) & Miranda (15-7-2000).
Her older son may even have grandchildren already (he was born in 1949), but, giving that he is a private person, we will not know for sure.

Just her descendants with their spouses, I suppose, maybe stepsons too.

IIRC when the late Earl of Harewood died in 2011, of the members of the Royal Family only Prince Michael of Kent attended his funeral; I don't think that for his wife there would be a larger attendance of royals, even without Prince Harry's marriage set for the following day.

"Tommy" Lascelles, the courtier and private secretary for George IV and Elisabeth II was related to the Earl of Harewood wasn't he? Does this mean he was a distant relative of the Royal Family or were they only related by marriage?

"Tommy" Lascelles, the courtier and private secretary for George IV and Elisabeth II was related to the Earl of Harewood wasn't he? Does this mean he was a distant relative of the Royal Family or were they only related by marriage?

According to Wikipedia, as a grandson of the 4th Earl, he was a cousin of the 6th Earl who married Princess Mary, the Princess Royal.

The COURT CIRCULAR for the attedances at the funeral of Patricia Countess of Harewood at 18 May

"COURT CIRCULAR

18th May 2018

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were represented by Dame Ingrid Roscoe (Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of West Yorkshire) at the funeral of Patricia, Countess of Harewood, which was held at All Saints Church, Harewood, West Yorkshire, this morning.

The Prince of Wales was represented by the Earl of Halifax.

The Duke of York was represented by Professor Robert Cryan.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex were represented by Mr Richard Jackson.

The Princess Royal was represented by the Lord Crathorne.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were represented by Dr Richard Mantle.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent were represented by Earl of St Andrews.

Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy was represented by Prince Michael of Kent."

Marion Stein Lascelles, Countess of Harewood and the spouse of The 7th Earl of Harewood, had three sons: David, James, and Jeremy. She had been a concert pianist. Did David play the piano?

Another grandchild for the Earl of Harewood!

Alexander Edgar "Orly" Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles (born 13 May 1980)
[second son and third child of David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood (b.1950) {himself oldest of three sons together of George Henry Hubert Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (1923–2011) [first cousin of QEII] & his first wife Marion Stein (1926-2014)} & his first wife Margaret Messenger (b.1948)] & his wife Annika Elizabeth, nee Reed (b.September 1984) [daughter of William J. Reed & Rosalind S. Driver] had their first child together (his second), a daughter, this year.

A half-sister for Leo Cyrus Anthony (22-3-2008) - son of Alexander & his former girlfriend Laleh Yeganegy (b.1980).

Source: Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark

Another grandchild for Jeremy Lascelles!

Amy Rose Lascelles (b.26 June 1986) [youngest of three children together of Honourable Jeremy Lascelles (b.1955) {himself youngest of three sons together of Sir George Lascelles, Earl of Harewood (1923-2011, first cousin of QEII) & his first wife Maria Donata (Marion) Stein (1926-2014)} & his first wife Julie Baylis (b.1957)] & her partner Matthew Michael Bolton (b.1990) [son of Kevin Bolton & his wife Patricia, nee Best] became parents of a son, Marlow Fox, in London on 20 July.

Sources: Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy...iage_and_issue
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...-house-of.html
https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2020/07/another-descendant-of-queen-victoria.html
https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-newest-qvd-was-born-on-monday.html

Last edited:
Anyone who follows the Harewoods on Instagram?

I found the current Viscount and Viscountess Lascelles and their professional accounts.

Alexander “Orly” Lascelles works as a chef. At the height of the lockdown he went back to Yorkshire (the home of their estate, Harewood House) and helped cooked meals for frontliners.

Orly’s Instagram - https://instagram.com/orlylascelles?igshid=29ulqot2r6fw

Annika Reed-Lascelles is a wallpaper designer under the name Annika Reed Studio.

Annika’s Instagram - https://instagram.com/annikareedstudio?igshid=xazw5e48sr4m

I am not sure if many of you follow the Princess Mary fan account. The admin, Elisabeth Basford, is scheduled to published a biography of the late Princess Royal scheduled in 2021. It’s going to be the first major biography about the royal in years. Hugo Vickers wrote a preface of the biography. I guess this seems to be a sign of good approval from the esteemed historian.

https://instagram.com/princessmaryprincessroyal?igshid=cw77dexldit8

I think interest in her's been stimulated by the (totally inaccurate!!) depiction of her in the Downton Abbey film.

Princess Elizabeth playing with her cousins, The Hon. George Lascelles (later 7th Earl of Harewood) and The Hon. Gerald Lascelles in 1928
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/...rald-Lascelles?LinkID=mp05371&role=sit&rNo=17

George V's Silver Jubilee (6th May 1935). Princess Margaret, The Hon. Gerald Lascelles, Princess Elizabeth, Viscount Lascelles standing in between George V and Queen Mary. They were on the Buckingham Palace's balcony
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/...Silver-Jubilee?LinkID=mp60187&role=sit&rNo=11
This made me go back to the Lascelles family and it remains a rather sad story: only one of the children and grandchildren of the couple did NOT get a divorce... and more often than not the second marriage took place within a year of the divorce of the first spouse - and several of them had children out of wedlock, sometimes while married to someone else (but got married to their mistress later on).

Son 1: George married firstly Marion Stein in 1949. Marriage ended in divorce in 1967 - a few years after the birth of a son by his mistress (1964).
George married secondly his mistress Patricia "Bambi" Tuckwell in 1967.

Grandson 1.1: David married firstly Margaret Messenger in 1979; they were divorced in 1989. He married secondly Diane Howse in 1990.

Grandson 1.2: James married firstly Fredericka Duhrrson in 1973; they were divorced in 1985. He married secondly Lori Lee in 1985; they were divorced in 1996. He married thirdly Joy Elias-Rilwan in 1999.

Grandson 1.3: Jeremy married firstly Julie Bayliss in 1981; they were divorced in 1998. He married secondly Catherine Bell in 1999.

Grandson 1.4: Mark married firstly Andrea Kershaw in 1992 and divorced in 2005. He married secondly Judith Ann Kilburn in 2011.

Son 2: Gerald married firstly Angela Dowding in 1952; they divorced in 1978. He married secondly Elizabeth Colvin in 1978.

Grandson 2.1: Henry married firstly Alexandra Morton in 1979; they divorced in 1999. He married secondly Fiona Wilmott in 2006.

Grandson 2.2: Martin married Charmaine Eccleston in 1999 and is the only one of either the sons or grandson of the former princess royal who isn't divorced - but like several of his family members, he does have a child out of wedlock.

Hopefully their great-grandchildren and great-great grandchildren will fare better.

Note: Of course, her brother Albert (the later king George VI)'s children and grandchildren's marriages or those of her other brothers haven't all been successful either but still did better than the Lascelles family.
Albert's children & grandchildren: 1/2 children divorced; 4/6 grandchildren divorced
Mary's children & grandchildren: 2/2 children divorced; 5/6 grandchildren divorced
Henry's children & grandchildren: 0/1 married children divorced; 1/3 grandchildren divorced
Edward's children & grandchildren: 0/3 children divorced; 2/7 grandchildren divorced

Last edited:
This made me go back to the Lascelles family and it remains a rather sad story: only one of the children and grandchildren of the couple did NOT get a divorce... and more often than not the second marriage took place within a year of the divorce of the first spouse - and several of them had children out of wedlock, sometimes while married to someone else (but got married to their mistress later on).

Son 1: George married firstly Marion Stein in 1949. Marriage ended in divorce in 1967 - a few years after the birth of a son by his mistress (1964).
George married secondly his mistress Patricia "Bambi" Tuckwell in 1967.

Grandson 1.1: David married firstly Margaret Messenger in 1979; they were divorced in 1989. He married secondly Diane Howse in 1990.

Grandson 1.2: James married firstly Fredericka Duhrrson in 1973; they were divorced in 1985. He married secondly Lori Lee in 1985; they were divorced in 1996. He married thirdly Joy Elias-Rilwan in 1999.

Grandson 1.3: Jeremy married firstly Julie Bayliss in 1981; they were divorced in 1998. He married secondly Catherine Bell in 1999.

Grandson 1.4: Mark married firstly Andrea Kershaw in 1992 and divorced in 2005. He married secondly Judith Ann Kilburn in 2011.

Son 2: Gerald married firstly Angela Dowding in 1952; they divorced in 1978. He married secondly Elizabeth Colvin in 1978.

Grandson 2.1: Henry married firstly Alexandra Morton in 1979; they divorced in 1999. He married secondly Fiona Wilmott in 2006.

Grandson 2.2: Martin married Charmaine Eccleston in 1999 and is the only one of either the sons or grandson of the former princess royal who isn't divorced - but like several of his family members, he does have a child out of wedlock.

Hopefully their great-grandchildren and great-great grandchildren will fare better.

Note: Of course, her brother Albert (the later king George VI)'s children and grandchildren's marriages or those of her other brothers haven't all been successful either but still did better than the Lascelles family.
Albert's children & grandchildren: 1/2 children divorced; 4/6 grandchildren divorced
Mary's children & grandchildren: 2/2 children divorced; 5/6 grandchildren divorced
Henry's children & grandchildren: 0/1 married children divorced; 1/3 grandchildren divorced
Edward's children & grandchildren: 0/3 children divorced; 2/7 grandchildren divorced

Thank you for your research and data, particularly on the Lascelles family. Who was the second grandchildren of the Prince George, 1st Duke of Kent that has been through divorce? I could only think of Marina Ogilvy (daughter of Princess Alexandra of Kent, later Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy).

I have heard that at one point, George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood was ostracised from the Royal Family after the birth of his son, whose mother was the Earl's mistress. Looking back at two pictures of young Princess Elizabeth with the Lascelles cousins does make me sad. I think what makes the marriage within the Lascelles family sadder is the children who happened to be born "out of wedlock".

Honourable Mark Lascelles' firstborn daughter is engaged!

Charlotte Patricia Lascelles (ur. 24 January 1996) [daughter of Honourable Mark Lascelles (b.1964) {himself only child together of Sir George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (1923-2011) [first cousin of HM QEII] & his second wife Patricia Tuckwell (1926-2018)} & his first wife Andrea Kershaw (b.1964)] got engaged to Archie James Griffiths (b.1999) this year.

Charlotte is the eldest of three daughters and first one who marries.
Her sister are Imogen Mary (b.23 January 1998) & Miranda Rose (b.15 July 2000).

Source: Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark

Last edited:
Another grandchild for Jeremy Lascelles was born last year!

Thomas Lascelles (b. 7 September 1982) [oldest child of Hon. Jeremy Lascelles (b.1955) {himself youngest son together of Sir George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (1923-2011) {{himself elder son of Princess Mary of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Princess Royal (1897-1965) & her husband Sir Henry Lascelles, Earl of Harewood (1882-1947)}} & his first wife Marion Stein (1926-2014)} & his first wife Julie Baylis (b.1957)] and his wife Laura, nee Bailey had their second daughter, Celeste Catherine Autumn, on 7 October.

A sister for Cleo (b.2017)

Source: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...lles-born.html

P.S. It's sad in fact that Lascelles family has particularly no contact with other King George V's descendants.

Another grandchild for Jeremy Lascelles was born last year!

Thomas Lascelles (b. 7 September 1982) [oldest child of Hon. Jeremy Lascelles (b.1955) {himself youngest son together of Sir George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (1923-2011) {{himself elder son of Princess Mary of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Princess Royal (1897-1965) & her husband Sir Henry Lascelles, Earl of Harewood (1882-1947)}} & his first wife Marion Stein (1926-2014)} & his first wife Julie Baylis (b.1957)] and his wife Laura, nee Bailey had their second daughter, Celeste Catherine Autumn, on 7 October.

A sister for Cleo (b.2017)

Source: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...lles-born.html

P.S. It's sad in fact that Lascelles family has particularly no contact with other King George V's descendants.
I don’t think so. Families as they grow larger and live in different places gradually become more distant and the degree of kinship becomes more distant too.

Could anyone kindly post the current line of succession to the Earldom of Harewood? It is difficult to keep track of the family with all the divorces and the chidren born out of wedlock.

Now David Lascelles is the 7th Duke of Harewood and after him his older legitimate son Alexander.

Update: Tewa and Cynthia Lascelles' son is named Fran.

Source: His father's biography in English Wikipedia.

But normal. My mother's family was quite close and I grew up with my cousins - the children of her siblings. However, I barely knew the children of my mom's cousins, and have no idea what any of them are doing now. Because I moved half the US away after I married, I don't know my cousins' kids and grandkids AT ALL - not even most of their names - and if it wasn't for Facebook I'd know even less.

The Lascelles family were private citizens despite their descent from Princess Mary, and they are even more "private" now. What is more unusual is the fact the Gloucesters and Kents ARE still relatively close to the core Royal Family; most likely because The Queen's cousins are still in the "family business." Once that link is no longer there those families will probably slowly drift away too.

Back
Top Bottom