The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Aristocracy

The Honours thread

I got to thinking about this today when I was listening to a news report about Sir Elton John's upcoming civil marriage to his long-time partner David Furnish.

Female spouses of baronets and knights in the United Kingdom are entitled to use the style "Lady". Sir Elton, as a Commander of the British Empire would be afforded that courtesy if he were married to a woman. I assume that same-sex partners of knights/dames or baronets will not be etitled to a specific style. Has anyone heard anything about this and what the law will be?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Is a civil union equal to a marriage under law?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

You know, I'm not sure. I''m not sure if it's equal to the civil unions we have here in many of the States, or if it's more in line with what exists in the Netherlands and Belgium, etc. Does anyone know?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Is a civil union equal to a marriage under law?
No. The civil union gives certain legal rights in regard to superannuation, social security, inheritance etc, but it is not a 'marriage'.
So there is no need to worry about titles for the 'spouse'.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Nobility

Sir Elton John CBE is afforded no courtesy what-so-ever with regard to a style of himself or (if he married a woman, his wife) as a Commander of the most Excellent Order of the British Empire other than the postnominals CBE. This grade of the order does not confer Knighthood and the entitlement to use the prefix 'Sir'. Sir Elton recieved the accolade of Knighthood when he was made a Knight Batchelor (which carries no postnominal letters), but does entitle the recipiant to use the prefix 'Sir'.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM

The New Years Honours

Well, I have to say I have just spent the last five minutes howling with laughter. The New Years Honours List is the most hilarious list of recipients I have ever read in my life.

Bruce Forsyth is now a CBE. He's famous for presenting 'The Generation Game' and has a catchphrase - "Nice to see you, to see you" (Audience) "Nice!).

Brucie

Roy Barraclough is now an MBE. He played Cissie alongside Les Dawson as Cissie and Ada and also played Alec Gilroy in Coronation St.

Roy as Alec

Roy as Cissie (right)

But the funniest people to recieve honours are ; The Beverley Sisters. Now the Beverley Sisters are three elderly ladies who wear glittery frocks and sing the old songs in harmony. They are known as Babs, Joy and Teddie and wear matching clothes and curtsey in harmony to almost anybody. They are all now MBEs. I had no idea Tony Blair was a Beverley Sisters fan.

The Beverley Sisters - Babs, Joy and Teddie MBE

Meeting the Queen and doing a triple curtsey in unison.

Tom Jones is being made a Knight and Vivienne Westwood is being made a Dame. Ronnie Corbett is once more overlooked and isn't being made a Knight. On a serious note, alot of people who were on the scene on July 7th are getting honours which is great. Lord Coe is getting a KBE which won't go down well at all.

I'm sure other people will want to comment so here's the thread.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

what exactly are the new year's honors?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 PM

Well, Tony Blair compiles a list of those to recieve honours. The Honours beings anything from a Knighthood to an MBE. The Prime Minister writes to the person and says, "The Queen has offered you an honour. Do you accept?". Now, they can say no or they can say yes. If they say no, then they have refused the Prime Minister and not the Queen. If they say yes, then from the moment it's made public they can use the letters after their name. Later in the year, the Queen or the Prince of Wales gives them their insignia. Then, on the Queen's Birthday another list is revealed and more people are honoured.

There are a few honours which the Queen gives herself but most are given by the Prime Minister. Hope that helps!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

yes it does thanks~!
so basically the PM picks who will be getting the honors but they are given out in the queen's name.
could the queen suggest a name if she wanted to?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:21 PM

Thats it - the PM does it and the Queen gets the blame. The Queen can suggest someone - any British subject can suggest another person for an honour. Every year we end up with people (usually foreigners living here) getting into a tizzy saying that it should all be replaced and changed and that they mean nothing - and every year nobody pays attention to them.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
- and every year nobody pays attention to them.
quite right!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 PM

And interestingly, it's the first year people have been honoured for services to the Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And interestingly, it's the first year people have been honoured for services to the Duchess of Cornwall.

yay! may many more such wonderful people be honored in the years to come!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Majesty

My brother was so honoured here in Australia (we use different letters now but they are still issued in the name of the Queen and by her representative in the various states - although if she is present she has done them in person). He was nominated by someone and they had to get a couple of other signatures (not sure how many). His nomination was then sent to the PMs office and it was approved. The name was then announced in the Queen's Birthday honours list here last July. We are very proud!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bruce is at the moment very popular for strictly come dancing,

Are you sure you are from Essex and I thought you posted that you design costumes?

Quote:
Well, I have to say I have just spent the last five minutes howling with laughter. The New Years Honours List is the most hilarious list of recipients I have ever read in my life. Bruce Forsyth is now a CBE. He's famous for presenting 'The Generation Game' and has a catchphrase - "Nice to see you, to see you" (Audience) "Nice!).
Old 12-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

"The response of ordinary people caught up in the 7 July attacks, in which 52 people were killed, as well as the four suicide bombers, sees them head the honours.

There are 23 awards in all for those who took part in the rescue operation, including police and NHS bosses, a Tube station worker, a Tube driver and a paramedic. Russell Square Tube station supervisor David Boyce, who ran into the tunnel to provide first aid to victims of the bombing, is made an MBE."

Continued
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the honours were a great system, now they just seem to be filled with overpaid, second rate 'entertainers'.

For instance Tom Jones, who hasn't lived in the UK for years!

I agree with the people who helped out on 7/7 but, do we need to honour, for instance, a lollipop lady who is only doing what she is paid for?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you are from Essex and I thought you posted that you design costumes?
Not sure what that has to do with anything - I do believe we get Brucie here in Essex. And yes, I design costumes - or at least that's my dinner party profession - I won't go into the other side of my job.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:58 PM

New Years Honours 2006

Interestingly, there is a new badge for the Order of the British Empire which is a buttonhole and can be worn everyday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6218467.stm

The full 2006 New Years Honours List can be found at;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._hons_main.pdf

They include;

Zara Phillips : MBE
Rod Stewart : CBE
Johnny Briggs : MBE
Hugh Laurie : OBE
Penelope Keith : CBE (Upgraded from an OBE)
Evelyn Glennie : DBE
Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Nobility

Looks like Beckham didn't get it as spectaculated.

Tags
honours, honours list, styles and titles