The Honours thread 1: Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joan Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Collins has publicly supported several charities for several decades. In 1982, Collins spoke before the U.S. Congress about increasing funding for neurological research. In 1983, she was named a patron of the International Foundation for Children with Learning Disabilities, earning the foundation's highest honour in 1988 for her continuing support. Additionally, 1988 also saw the opening of the Joan Collins Wing of the Children's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan, USA. In 1990, she was made an honorary founding member of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. In 1994 Collins was awarded the lifetime achievement award from the Association of Breast Cancer Studies in Great Britain for her contribution to breast cancer awareness in the UK. Collins is patron of Fight for Sight, in 2003, she became a patron of the Shooting Star Children's Hospice in Great Britain while continuing to support several foster children in India; something she has done for the past 25 years. Collins serves her former school, the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, as the Honorary President of the RADA Associates.[35]

Thanks she's done a lot

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I'm glad Joan Collins has been made a Dame, she is rather a British institution and we don't get to see enough of her!

Video:
Author Hilary Mantel, known for her novel Wolf Hall, was made a dame by Charles for her services to literature. The Prince of Wales has told Hilary Mantel he is a fan of the television adaptation of Wolf Hall-

Home - ITNSource News

Cepe Smith @CepeSmith · Mar 25
The Hon Dame Shân Legge-Bourke was invested with the Insignia of a Dame Commander of the RVO on 25/3 by HMQ. She is Lord Lieutenant of Powys

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3h 3 hours ago
The Queen will present L/Cpl Joshua Leakey with his Victoria Cross (first time in 10 years) during investiture at Windsor Castle on Tuesday.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3h 3 hours ago
The VC will be presented to Joshua Leakey ahead of all other honours (including knighthoods) as well as having his full citation read out!

Thanks for the correction to the itv article. They should have done their homework eh? I'm still in the state of melt though over L/Cpl Leakey's humility.

I don't think the itv article is incorrect. I saw photos this morning on The British Monarchy's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/TheBritishMonarchy?fref=ts They state that he is the first living Brit to be awarded the Victoria Cross for service in Afghanistan. Looking through the Telegraph's pictures, of the four living recipients for service in Afghanistan, three are Australian and one is a New Zealander. So, the itv article is, indeed, correct.

Many thanks to those brave men and women who have served and sacrificed so gallantly and unselfishly. I'm as proud of them, and thankful to them, as I am of the Americans who have received our Medal of Honor and, indeed, all who have defended our freedom and democracy. Without them, would we necessarily be sitting here, chatting, nitpicking these newspaper articles?:flowers:

Last edited:
There are 10 living recipients of the VC and I hope this link to the Telegraph works. Great people.

Meet the ten living recipients of the Victoria Cross - Telegraph

You know something? I do believe this is one of those rare occasions where the term "Great People" is a gigantic understatement. :)

I was raised to know not just my Country's Military History, but my Family's as well and I know just how high an honour a Victoria Cross is. I once read a book on Canadian WWII Victoria Cross Recipients and the ones who lived to tell their stories were just as humble as the Paratrooper who received his today. They are indeed Great People.

Wonder if he will be the Armed Forces Member chosen w/the Honour of bringing The Book of Remembrance down to the floor and then on the Drums just before the Drumhead Service portion of The Festival of Remembrance starts this November? It wouldn't surprise me.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The article in the Daily Express said it was only the sixth time that the Queen presented the award to a living recipient. So it is a rare medal to win and even rarer to get it while still living.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Either the Queen thinks that only one in 24 Britons are women, or her Order of Merit is appallingly backward:
There’s nothing wrong in recognising the most distinguished minds in our society, but there's obviously been a huge oversight here-

Either the Queen thinks that only one in 24 Britons are women, or her Order of Merit is appallingly backward - Comment - Voices - The Independent

I must agree. I looked at the picture and was a bit shocked at the lack of younger, new members and different ethnic backgrounds. Somethings have to change up in Charles and William's reigns.

:previous: Well, I don't think it is news, is it? I can't believe it wasn't noticed earlier!

:previous: Well, I don't think it is news, is it? I can't believe it wasn't noticed earlier!

No, none of it is news, but sometimes one just have to say something about it. Stuff just throw you off at times!

No, none of it is news, but sometimes one just have to say something about it. Stuff just throw you off at times!
I think it is sad too but hopefully something will change in the future:flowers:

Either the Queen thinks that only one in 24 Britons are women, or her Order of Merit is appallingly backward:
There’s nothing wrong in recognising the most distinguished minds in our society, but there's obviously been a huge oversight here-

Either the Queen thinks that only one in 24 Britons are women, or her Order*of Merit is appallingly backward - Comment - Voices - The Independent

I must agree. I looked at the picture and was a bit shocked at the lack of younger, new members and different ethnic backgrounds. Somethings have to change up in Charles and William's reigns.

The limit of 24 living members and increasing longevity mean the group will continue to look aged. For the same reason, there will always be a backlog of worthy recipients. And becasue this pool has aged as they wait, they represent generations before us and do not yet yeflect much gender equality.
It''s a reason if not an excuse.

I hope nothing will change in the future.
The queen doesn't have quotas for women, young people or different ethnic backgrounds. She awards FOR MERIT. And this is the only right way to do this.

The Honours thread

The order isn't for just Britain but for other realms too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I would think it's best to increase the number of recipients. We all know the Order is based on merits, but there are a lot of people from all walks of life that deserve the Order as well. I question the lack of diversity in many of the Orders too. Stuff just need to be updated, IMO.

Prince Harry's KCVO

Prince Harry was present at the inauguration of the Bastion Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum today wearing his newly conferred regalia of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Edinburgh adds new medals to board

The Duke of Edinburgh accompanied HM The Queen along with HM The Sultan of Brunei, The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry to The Gurkha Pageant at the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

HRH wore his miniature medal board with his black tie ensemble which included a few new additions.

The "rack" now includes the following 21 medals:

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
The Order of Australia
Queen's Service Order
Order of Canada
Order of Military Merit
1939–1945 Star
Atlantic Star
Africa Star
Burma Star w Pacific clasp
Italy Star
War Medal 1939-1945 w Mentioned in Dispatches
King George VI Coronation Medal - 1937
QEII Coronation Medal - 1953
QEII Silver Jubilee Medal - 1977
QEII Golden Jubilee Medal - 2002
QEII Diamond Jubilee Medal - 2012
Canadian Forces Decoration w 4 bars (52 yrs)
NZ Commemorative Medal - 1990
Malta George Cross Fiftieth Anniversary Medal
Greek War Cross (1940)
Croix de Guerre 1939-45 w Bronz Palm

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DofE should wear his medals in two rows. It wouldn't look so much like an awkward bill board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom