The Honours thread 1: Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At best I could imagine Carole or Mike getting an MBE in the future for their business or perhaps for some local charitable work. A life peerage seems kind of pointless. There is no need to ennoble them. Catherine coming from a middle class English family was one of the points in her favour anyway. Its not the middle ages after all.

I'm hoping an honour will be coming the Middletons way at some point in the future.

I'm just happy Simon Pugh-Jones got an MBE - he's my science teacher!

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7m
The Queen has given two of her ladies in waiting: Susan Hussey and Mary Morrison, the highest honour in the Royal Victorian Order.

Of course there are some questionable honours but that's the government talking;

Dishonours! Gongs for water boss who put up bills, police chief who failed tragic Victoria Climbie, hedge fund tycoon who bankrolls Tories and, oh yes, a Labour luvvie | Mail Online

As good a list as I can get for celebrities;

The Right Honourable Sir (Walter) Menzies Campbell CBE QC MP is made a Companion of honour.

Tony Robinson aka Baldrick from Blackadder is made a Knight Bachelor

Adele, Rob Brydon, singer and broadcaster Aled Jones, singer-songwriter PJ Harvey, and author Joanne Harris are given an MBE.

Clare Balding, Jackie Collins, golfer Paul Lawrie, GQ editor Dylan Jones and author Kate Mosse are given an OBE's.

Entrepreneur and former Dragon’s Den star Hilary Devey was ‘flabbergasted’ to receive a CBE for services to the transport industry and to charity.

Restauranteur Jill Stein, the ex-wife of TV chef Rick Stein, is made an OBE. She runs a business in Padstow, Cornwall, with her former husband, who received the same honour ten years ago.

Artist Grayson Perry, actress Claire Bloom and Thomas Heatherwick, designer of the Olympic Cauldron, also receive CBEs.
An OBE goes to Wendy Parry, whose 12-year-old son Tim was one of two children killed by an IRA bomb in Warrington in March 1993.

Gongs for the stars: Adele leads list of honours for the showbiz world as she is awarded MBE | Mail Online

BAE Systems merger adversaries honoured by the Queen | Mail Online

Though Peter Phillips isn't entitled to princely rank as a female line grandchild of the British monarch... is it not somewhat unfair that he's being passed over for honors such as the Garter & Thistle?

No - it isn't - the ones who get those honous actually work for the monarch.

Prince Michael - a male-line grandson - doesn't have the garter or thistle because he hasn't worked predominantly for the monarch and Peter is the same.

He is the same as the sons of Princess Mary and Princess Margaret - who are related but not workers and as those other sons haven't been so honoured why should Peter?

The Queen makes her family earn their honours, except for those honours that she can't control e.g. Charles getting the Garter in 1958 as it is automatic for the Prince of Wales. She made her younger sons wait until their mid-late 40s and her daughter about the same - and to work for her - the same with her cousins - they had to work for her to get it and not just get it for being her cousins, and descendents of a monarch through either male or female lines.

No - it isn't - the ones who get those honous actually work for the monarch.

Prince Michael - a male-line grandson - doesn't have the garter or thistle because he hasn't worked predominantly for the monarch and Peter is the same.

He is the same as the sons of Princess Mary and Princess Margaret - who are related but not workers and as those other sons haven't been so honoured why should Peter?

The Queen makes her family earn their honours, except for those honours that she can't control e.g. Charles getting the Garter in 1958 as it is automatic for the Prince of Wales. She made her younger sons wait until their mid-late 40s and her daughter about the same - and to work for her - the same with her cousins - they had to work for her to get it and not just get it for being her cousins, and descendents of a monarch through either male or female lines.

Completely agree, the only person in the Royal Family to have an honour of any kind but not work for the Queen is Zara who got it for her sporting success in teh same way any other sports person would.

I think The Queen waits too long to give her immediate family members an honor for their work within the "Firm."

She makes them actually earn them rather than getting them for simply being royal and doing a few things - just as an ordinary person has to earn an honour. I think she is right to do so.

I don't think she waits too long, she made Sophie a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order after 10 years of working for the firm and Camilla after 7 years. I think thats a reasonable amount of time for them to show that they can stick at it. Maybe the 90's divorces taught her to wait and watch a little bit more.
As for her children bear in mind that until 2001/2002 Edwards and Andrew both had other jobs so did not work full time representing the Queen and doing public duties. They were both made Commanders of the RoyalVictorian Order in their early days (19 for Andrew and 25 for Edward) and I think for part time members of the family as they were that was about right. The Queen gave them higher honours pretty steadily once they started working for her full time.

I don't know, I just think she waits too long. I hope Charles won't wait very long to give William & Catherine and Harry honors once he's King.

Last edited:
I don't know, I just think she waits too long. I hope Charles won't wait very long to give William & Catherine and Harry honors once he's King.

If he decides to give honours! The practice dates back to around 1800,

Oh, I believe he will give Orders to his family. Charles loves formality, ceremonies, Orders and other honors.

Last edited:
William will already have most of the available honours anyway - either because The Queen has given it to him - garter, thistle, or because as heir to the throne it is automatic.

As for Harry - he needs to do at least as much as Andrew and Edward - and so far he hasn't. He will have to stop his almost annual major embarassment for the family and grow up - he is nearly 30 not 20 and yet behaves too often like a teenager.

I am just curious- what takes the Cabinet Office so long to decide on a knighthood?
In 2010, I wrote the Queen with the suggestion that actor Robert Hardy be knighted. They wrote back, and said write the Prime Minister. I did, they wrote back, and said write the cabinet office. I did. A minister wrote back, and said thanks for the suggestion, that it takes 18 months to decide. What takes so long?
Anybody else think he should be knighted?

^^^^^
Have you considered the possibility that it has been offered and declined? Not everyone accepts honours when first offered to them and some never do accept the honours.

^^^^^
Have you considered the possibility that it has been offered and declined? Not everyone accepts honours when first offered to them and some never do accept the honours.

That is true. Never thought of that.

William will already have most of the available honours anyway - either because The Queen has given it to him - garter, thistle, or because as heir to the throne it is automatic.

As for Harry - he needs to do at least as much as Andrew and Edward - and so far he hasn't. He will have to stop his almost annual major embarassment for the family and grow up - he is nearly 30 not 20 and yet behaves too often like a teenager.
\

I think a stable marriage will make Harry more "honorable" in the Queen's eyes, because I think she does not hand them out, but uses them to reflect valid life milestones and demonstrated service.
Not that I think Harry should rush into anything just to get an honor. In fact, I think he will be much happier continuing on in active service and is probably not very keen on external affirmations like the Garter and Thistle. Military honors for active combat seem more to his fancy.

I actually think Harry will receive an honor from The Queen at some point soon.

Hope this is the right thread.

New Years Honours have been announced http://t.co/JwNVX5NjmP

However for Royal watchers, the Queens Private Secretary has been made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath

These are the notes from the Royal website

Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)

The Right Honourable Sir Christopher Geidt KCVO OBE

Sir Christopher has been Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen since 2007.
He has brought to this key role a new approach to constitutional matters (including at
the time of the formation of the Coalition Government), the preparation for the
transition to a change of Reign
and relations with the Commonwealth. He has also
overseen an unprecedented agenda of Royal and national events.

Very strange to see that in print

Hope this is the right thread.

New Years Honours have been announced http://t.co/JwNVX5NjmP

However for Royal watchers, the Queens Private Secretary has been made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath

These are the notes from the Royal website

Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)

The Right Honourable Sir Christopher Geidt KCVO OBE

Sir Christopher has been Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen since 2007.
He has brought to this key role a new approach to constitutional matters (including at
the time of the formation of the Coalition Government), the preparation for the
transition to a change of Reign
and relations with the Commonwealth. He has also
overseen an unprecedented agenda of Royal and national events.

Very strange to see that in print

New Year Honours 2014: list in full - Telegraph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom