The Honours thread 1: Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The offer and acceptance or refusal of an honour are supposed to be done in secret, but some of the names of people who've refused have been printed - I think The Times carried a list a few years ago which contained around 300 names. Vanessa Redgrave refused a damehood in the late 1990s according to that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elspeth

Since you live in the UK and are very familiar with British culture and practices, perhaps you could explain something to me please. IF an individual did decline an honour and let it be known that either they did not think it was high enough of one OR did so because of some spiteful reason, would they ever be offered one again? Would there be social repercussions?

I find it difficult to fathom being deliberately rude to the Monarchy under any circumstance. I have no idea why religious beliefs would play a part in declining, but that might be an acceptable reason, but just to be nasty??

I think some of the refusals, from the bits I can remember, were done to gain publicity for the person's beliefs, be they political, religious, or whatever.
I agree, I can't imagine being so rude as to snub such an honour, but civility is certainly on the decline in today's society, on both sides of the pond, it seems.

Well, there are legitimate reasons for refusal. The Quakers can't accept honours because the Religious Society of Friends bans all forms of showing or recieving special status above other people. Alot of Afro-Carribeans refuse based on the fact that they're offered an Order of the British Empire which to them is rather insulting and rude. Some return their honours as a mark of protest against the Government, after all it's the Government who gave them the honour. I believe Helen Mirren turned down a CBE but accepted a Damehood. The list of people doing that is very lengthy and it's not out of the ordinary.

I don't disagree with you that there may be some legitimate reasons for SOME people, like, as you said, the Quakers. However, I think there are many that refuse or return their honour to get publicity for something. If this wasn't the case, how would we know about it? (rhetorical question, no answer needed):flowers:

Queen's Birthday Honours June 2008
Queen honours entertainers - Yahoo! News UK

Among the arts & entertainment awards:

Monica Mason, director of the Royal Ballet - a damehood
Lynda La Plante - CBE
Des O'Connor - CBE
Victoria Wood - CBE
Anna Wintour - OBE
and last, but certainly not least..
June Brown - MBE, aka the long-suffering but fabulous Dot Cotton from Eastenders.

I'm annoyed that Bruce Forsyth and Liz Smith were both overlooked despite online petitions but I'm thrilled that June Brown got something even if it was only an MBE. Paul O'Grady got an MBE too which is very well deserved IMO and Joan Bakewell has done alot to deserve her Damehood. Fabulousness.

BBC NEWS | UK | Honours for Lee, Faldo and Delia

Veteran horror star Christopher Lee and golfer Nick Faldo have been knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Television chef Delia Smith becomes a CBE for services to the food industry and the work of hairdresser Vidal Sassoon is recognised with an OBE.

Former poet laureate Andrew Motion is among the other new knights, while pianist Mitsuko Uchida becomes a Dame.

TV's Royle Family actress Sue Johnston will meet a member of the real royal household when she picks up her OBE.

And Frances Lawrence, widow of London headmaster Philip Lawrence, who was stabbed to death outside his school gates in 1995, is appointed an MBE for services to charity.

Yes he was in the New Years Honours list along with

Jenson Button & Mr Brawn who recieve MBE's.
Patrick Stewart will be knighted.
Status Quo stars Rick Parfitt & Francis Rossi recieve OBE's.
Michelle Mone will recieve an OBE.
Nicholas Hytner, receives a knighthood.
Phyllida Lloyd, 52, director of the Mamma Mia! film and stage musicals, is made a CBE.
Simon King gets an OBE
Children's author Dick Kingsmith gets an MBE
Shadows bass player Jet Harris is awarded the MBE.
Tailor Timothy Everest, received the MBE.
There were also OBEs for fashion designer Amanda Wakeley and milliner Stephen Jones.
Beth Tweddle, 24 receives an MBE.
British Lions coach Ian McGeechan, 63, is awarded a knighthood.
Former England football captain Jimmy Arfield, 74, received a CBE for his community work in Lancashire.

:flowers:

Peter Jackson, or Sir Peter Jackson has been knighted by the Queen of New Zealand. The new goverment under Jonh Key has reintroduced knight and damehoods that were removed under Helen Clark. I was happy when they returned the knighthoods. Some people deserves to be Sirs and Dames, like Dame Kiri or now Sir Peter.

The Queen and a question of honour for Gordon Brown - Telegraph

Gordon Brown's valediction outside 10 Downing Street that he had "loved the job" of prime minister, "not for its prestige, its titles and its ceremony" has put officials at Buckingham Palace in a quandary.

Mandrake hears that the Queen had planned to make Brown a Knight of the Order of the Thistle, but does not want to "insult" the former Labour leader with such an honour.

PMs from 1976

Harold Wilson KG
James Callaghan KG
Edward Heath KG
Margaret Thatcher KG
John Major KG
Tony Blair - supposedly offered a KT but declined and is holding out for a KG
Gordon Brown - maybe a KT

nb.. both Blair and Brown have strong Scottish heritages which are appropriate for the Thistle.
According to Wiki there are currently 23 Companions, meaning there is one vacancy.

Last edited:
Id give to the Former over the latter

Australia's will be announced on Monday when we have our public holiday for the event.

2012 Royal honors granted to criminals
The British society would begin 2012 with fraudsters, family members of convicted murderers and scandalous political donors walking the streets with royal honors.
Queen Elizabeth II's list of honors for the 2012 New Years featured several people widely known among people for their misdemeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom