The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
MVO - Douglas William Squires, OBE. For services to Choreography and Stage Direction. Royal Pageants. (For services to what??)
My gut feelings tell me that its in recognition of directing and getting things to move smoothly in many of the different pageants held over the past year for the 90th birthday celebrations. First up would be the coordination of the magnificent Royal Windsor Horse Show. That was beautifully put together.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Royal Victorian Medal - Mrs Teresa Sanz. For personal services to The Queen. Honorary Award. (sounds a bit mysterious)
I would guess she is not a British/commonwealth citizen. Their awards are usually honorary (Bob Geldof, Bono, Bill Gates etc).

Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts relating to the Royal Family Order etc have been moved to the following thread:

The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations
Old 12-31-2016, 04:41 AM
Serene Highness

OBE
Victoria Caroline, Mrs BECKHAM Fashion Designer. For services to the Fashion
Industry.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 AM
Aristocracy

Celebrities who are to be knighted/to be made a dame in Queen Elizabeth II’s New Year’s Honors list, including Victoria Beckham,Patricia Rotledge,Judie Dench,Mark Rylanc,etc
New Year's Honours 2017: Mark Rylance, Ken Dodd Knighted, Patricia Routledge, Victoria Beckham Also Recognised | The Huffington Post
Old 12-31-2016, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Dame Katherine Patricia Routledge wouldn't Mrs Bucket be so proud!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Courtier

It's Bu-que!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I would guess she is not a British/commonwealth citizen. Their awards are usually honorary (Bob Geldof, Bono, Bill Gates etc).
According to Rebecca English, she is being honoured for long years of service as a royal dress maker to the queen. Thought Angela is the well known one, she is said to have a team of four. Teresa seems to be one of them. Goes along with other personal staff like her hairdresser being honoured this year.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Interestingly I can't find any mention of Anna Wintour on the list released.

Otherwise there seems to have been quite a good balance this year IMO, a few more sportspeople than normal perhaps but it is the first time to acknowledge the 2016 Olympics.
In this list: NEW YEAR HONOURS 2017
DIPLOMATIC SERVICE AND OVERSEAS LIST
ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE AND KNIGHT BACHELOR
Old 02-05-2017, 03:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

And there goes the knighthood for Beckham forever ... I always thought he is a bit dim but I didn't know to what extent.
He was a failure in England football, period, and should not compare himself with Olympic Gold Medal winners who were knighted.

Beckham's jaw-dropping excuse for his leaked c-word rants* | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Birthday Honours lists 2017

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...urs-lists-2017
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

In total, 74 per cent of awards in the Birthday Honours List will go to people who have undertaken outstanding work in or for their local community​, following the Prime Minister’s strategic steer that she would like more honours to go to people really contributing to society and their communities.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...y-honours-2017
Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 AM
Gentry

Will Queen Elizabeth II likely bestow the Order of the Thistle on Andrew or Edward? It seems she only reserved it for Princes Charles & William, and Princess Anne. Her royal cousins the Gloucester's and Kents don't have it either. Queen Victoria and King George V it seems were the last two monarch's who exclusively bestowed the Order on all of their sons, instead of a select few princes.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Gentry

I think that The Queen bestows honours on those deserving of them and for specific effort.

Charles, Anne and William have all had a lot to do with Scotland and continue to work tirelessly for Scottish charities, organizations and causes.

I cannot say with any degree of certainty, but I do think that many (if any) of the other Windsor's do as much as they do for that part of the kingdom.

With respect to Charles and William, HM may have honoured them with The Thistle as a function of her succession but I think that the connection to Scotland also comes in to play when HM make her choices.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne and Charles certainly do a lot for Scottish charities and organisations and Charles spends an awful lot of time up in Scotland. However, William spends very little time there, maybe a scattering of weekends at Birkhall for shooting during the year and a few days with Kate and the children in the late summer when the Queen and other members of the family are holidaying at Balmoral.

As far as I know William doesn't have huge specific interest in Scottish concerns and charities, and I think he has the Thistle because he is heir to the heir more than anything else.

By contrast, all the Queen's children have served as Lords High Commissioner to the Assembly of the Church of Scotland for a year, in Anne's case twice. IMHO I think Anne should definitely have received it. See Dman's post below!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

HRH The Princess Royal received The Order of the Thistle back in 2000.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Dman!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Thanks Dman!
Curryong, you're welcome. I'm looking forward to other senior royals receiving some honors, but that's for another thread.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Anne and Charles certainly do a lot for Scottish charities and organisations and Charles spends an awful lot of time up in Scotland. However, William spends very little time there, maybe a scattering of weekends at Birkhall for shooting during the year and a few days with Kate and the children in the late summer when the Queen and other members of the family are holidaying at Balmoral.

As far as I know William doesn't have huge specific interest in Scottish concerns and charities, and I think he has the Thistle because he is heir to the heir more than anything else.

By contrast, all the Queen's children have served as Lords High Commissioner to the Assembly of the Church of Scotland for a year, in Anne's case twice. IMHO I think Anne should definitely have received it. See Dman's post below!

Agreed, the only real connection between William and Scotland besides a rare trip to Balmoral is having gone to college there. On the other hand, most of the senior royals have at least a handful of charities in Scotland they are actively involved in. Andrew has a number, not surprisingly golf related, but not all of them.

It seems more that he is the future king, then any personal connection William has with Scotland.

Tags
honours, honours list, styles and titles