The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Did actor Robert Hardy receive a knighthood?
As far as I can see, Robert Hardy received his CBE in the Queens's birthday list of 1981.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not talking about honoring some of her family just because it's her birthday folks. I'm talking about honoring some of them for their personal service within her birthday year.

I just thought it would be nice to do so in this celebrational year that's all.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As far as I can see, Robert Hardy received his CBE in the Queens's birthday list of 1981.
Believe me I know. A CBE is not a knighthood. A KBE is.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm not talking about honoring some of her family just because it's her birthday folks. I'm talking about honoring some of them for their personal service within her birthday year.

For what??? That is the point people are making. What did they accomplish this year that they should be honored for??? Doing engagements for the queen? They get those honors at the jubilee celebrations, Kate got her first at the diamond. The birthday honors are for people who have achieved accomplishments. It would be downplaying and diminishing the accomplishments of the other recipients by simply awarding honors to royals for being royals. I am sure the other royals can hold out for an honor until another anniversary though it would likely be one of Charles.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

She has already honoured:

Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent, Katherine Kent, Michael and Alexandra for personal service.

The adults she hasn't honoured are: Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Marie-Christine.

None of these are full-time royals. She has insisted that royals actually earn their honours by working for her. Obviously she doesn't feel that these four have done enough to earn honours from her for service to her. She knows the standard she requires to be honoured and she doesn't believe they have done enough - even though some others may think that one or more of these ladies have done enough.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

In the case of Princess Michael and Kate they have both received a diamond jubilee medal which are rewarded for service. Perhaps not at the level of some of the honors those you mentioned have, but still recognition.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent, Katherine Kent, Michael and Alexandra for personal service.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't all of these already hold the highest honour in the Order of Victoria? The only other honours within the gift of the Queen are the Garter, the Thistle, the Companion of Honour and the Order of Merit. None meet the requirements for the Companion of Honour or Order of Merit and all of those born into the family, plus Philip have the Garter. Philip, Charles, Anne and William have the Thistle. That really doesn't leave a lot of scope.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 AM
Serene Highness

From Court Circular:

11 June 2016

Major General Edward Smyth-Osbourne was received afterwards by The Queen upon relinquishing his appointment as Major General Commanding Household Division when Her Majesty conferred upon him the honour of Knighthood and invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The adults she hasn't honoured are: Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Marie-Christine.

None of these are full-time royals. She has insisted that royals actually earn their honours by working for her. Obviously she doesn't feel that these four have done enough to earn honours from her for service to her. She knows the standard she requires to be honoured and she doesn't believe they have done enough - even though some others may think that one or more of these ladies have done enough.
Not sure if The Queen will give an honour to Beatrice and Eugenie because they're not senior working royals within the firm. Although, I hear Prince Andrew wouldn't mind if they were.

Catherine is a senior working member of the family. She has served The Queen throughout the UK and abroad for five years. She's the one that should be getting an honour soon for her service. She may not be considered a full-time royal, but then again, neither is her husband and brother in-law. They have honours. Let's not act like Catherine hasn't done not one thing within these five years since she became a senior working royal by saying "I will" in Westminster Abbey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't all of these already hold the highest honour in the Order of Victoria? The only other honours within the gift of the Queen are the Garter, the Thistle, the Companion of Honour and the Order of Merit. None meet the requirements for the Companion of Honour or Order of Merit and all of those born into the family, plus Philip have the Garter. Philip, Charles, Anne and William have the Thistle. That really doesn't leave a lot of scope.
William and Charles arent members of the Royal Victorian Order.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 AM
Majesty

Correct me if I'm wrong here. When discussing the Queen's birthday list for honors, it was suggested that the Queen honor some of her own family. From what I understand, there is a difference between the Honors list and what the Queen deems to award her family with.

The Honors List actually is drawn up by the Prime Minister (the government) and not HM. The Queen can and does approve the list but basically, those that are honored are those that have come to the government's attention or have been nominated for accomplishments in service to the UK.

So therefore, for a member of the royal family to be chosen and awarded and put on the Honors List, it would have to come through the government.

Chivalrous orders and the personal honors that HM bestows as her gift are totally separate from the Honors List.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this but thought I'd take a shot at it anyways. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee in the system yet.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

You are correct. Anne, Zara and Tim have all been honoured in official birthday honours lists but none of the other royals.

These three were in the official lists for real achievements.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I personally think that the Queen should decide who gets an honour - by all means the Government should suggest people or bring them to her attention, but to avoid bias I think it should ultimately be the Queen's decision.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Majesty

While waiting to watch the Service of Thanksgiving recently via Sky News on YouTube, I happened to notice in the scroll on the bottom of the screen that some were saying the recent Honors List was partial to the "ins" over the Brexit issue.

You make a good point Jack.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actor Kevin Spacey receives an Honorary KBE from the Prince of Wales-
World of Windsor : millasmehaboob: Kevin Spacey receives an...

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actor Kevin Spacey receives an Honorary KBE from the Prince of Wales-
World of Windsor : millasmehaboob: Kevin Spacey receives an...
I'm glad to see this. Certainly, Kevin Spacey has done a great deal for British theatre.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. His tenure as artistic director for the Old Vic alone did a great deal for the theater world in London.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry to repeat myself, but did actor Robert Hardy receive a knighthood in this year's Birthday List?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

No he didn't
Old 06-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
No he didn't
I don't want to offend my British friends- or ruin RH chances for a knighthood because I voice my disappointment too strongly- but this is 1000 percent wrong! Without getting too personal, disrespecting the privacy of others I love, and at the risk of coming across as a holier than thou jerk I don't know everything , but I think I know more than most people how much RH deserves this. Take me out of this for a second. Look at my profile picture folks. Now multiply that by I don't know how many thousands of children- many special needs. If that alone ain't deserving of a knighthood what is?
I wonder if I posted my friend's petition to get RH knighted and her Facebook page on here- how many signatures posts or tweets I could get? Maybe that would do some good...
Also and sorry if this is going OT, but is there an ACGAS expert on here? I have a line from the show going through my head, can't remember what episode it's from, and it's driving me nuts! Also did RH produce a series called Emergency in 2015?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is possible that he has been offered a knighthood and turned it down. Those that are offered and refuse honours aren't announced.

Tags
honours, honours list, styles and titles