The Honours thread 1: Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy could not actually vote in the referendum because he lives in England.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If he did not vote it was SOLELY because he had deserted the Country he claims to support.. Either way he expressed his support for the dissolution of Britain, so does not warrant any British Honours [imo].

I'll be beyond stunned if he doesn't get one in the New Year's Honours and that's regardless of Andy reaching Number 1 in the next few weeks. Winning his second Wimbledon & then defending his Olympic Title in Rio should be more than enough for him to become Sir Andrew Murray.

That's all JMO of course. ?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yeah, I think you're right. Who else do you think is a shoe-in for the next list?

If he did not vote it was SOLELY because he had deserted the Country he claims to support.. Either way he expressed his support for the dissolution of Britain, so does not warrant any British Honours [imo].

This is an interesting point that may well count against him. Personally I don't think people should be punished for expressing their opinion though. I think that the honours system would survive any dissolution of the UK too. the Royals would still be monarchs over both countries even if Scotland became independent.

Mo Farah, Andy Murray and Ken Dodd are knighted. Jessica Ennis-Hill, Patricia Routledge and Anna Wintour become Dames.

Lots of sports people honoured as well.

Interestingly I can't find any mention of Anna Wintour on the list released.

Otherwise there seems to have been quite a good balance this year IMO, a few more sportspeople than normal perhaps but it is the first time to acknowledge the 2016 Olympics.

Otherwise there seems to have been quite a good balance this year IMO, a few more sportspeople than normal perhaps but it is the first time to acknowledge the 2016 Olympics.

Found it on a separate list for overseas.

I always think its interesting to see who in the Royal Household has got an award - usually from the Royal Victorian Order or the Royal Victorian Medal.

A full list can be found here if you scroll down...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2505359/new-years-honours-list-2018-full/

Some unusual / noteworthy ones...

MVO - Douglas William Squires, OBE. For services to Choreography and Stage Direction. Royal Pageants. (For services to what??)

MVO - Nicholas Webster Booth. Formerly chief executive Officer. The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

MVO - John McKay Carmichael. Hairdresser to The Queen.

Royal Victorian Medal - Ramon Ricardo Jagdeo. Postman. Buckingham Palace. (even the postman gets an award)

Royal Victorian Medal - Mrs Teresa Sanz. For personal services to The Queen. Honorary Award. (sounds a bit mysterious)

MVO - Douglas William Squires, OBE. For services to Choreography and Stage Direction. Royal Pageants. (For services to what??)

My gut feelings tell me that its in recognition of directing and getting things to move smoothly in many of the different pageants held over the past year for the 90th birthday celebrations. First up would be the coordination of the magnificent Royal Windsor Horse Show. That was beautifully put together.

Royal Victorian Medal - Mrs Teresa Sanz. For personal services to The Queen. Honorary Award. (sounds a bit mysterious)

I would guess she is not a British/commonwealth citizen. Their awards are usually honorary (Bob Geldof, Bono, Bill Gates etc).

OBE
Victoria Caroline, Mrs BECKHAM Fashion Designer. For services to the Fashion
Industry.

Dame Katherine Patricia Routledge wouldn't Mrs Bucket be so proud!

I would guess she is not a British/commonwealth citizen. Their awards are usually honorary (Bob Geldof, Bono, Bill Gates etc).

According to Rebecca English, she is being honoured for long years of service as a royal dress maker to the queen. Thought Angela is the well known one, she is said to have a team of four. Teresa seems to be one of them. Goes along with other personal staff like her hairdresser being honoured this year.

In this list: NEW YEAR HONOURS 2017
DIPLOMATIC SERVICE AND OVERSEAS LIST
ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE AND KNIGHT BACHELOR

Will Queen Elizabeth II likely bestow the Order of the Thistle on Andrew or Edward? It seems she only reserved it for Princes Charles & William, and Princess Anne. Her royal cousins the Gloucester's and Kents don't have it either. Queen Victoria and King George V it seems were the last two monarch's who exclusively bestowed the Order on all of their sons, instead of a select few princes.

I think that The Queen bestows honours on those deserving of them and for specific effort.

Charles, Anne and William have all had a lot to do with Scotland and continue to work tirelessly for Scottish charities, organizations and causes.

I cannot say with any degree of certainty, but I do think that many (if any) of the other Windsor's do as much as they do for that part of the kingdom.

With respect to Charles and William, HM may have honoured them with The Thistle as a function of her succession but I think that the connection to Scotland also comes in to play when HM make her choices.

Anne and Charles certainly do a lot for Scottish charities and organisations and Charles spends an awful lot of time up in Scotland. However, William spends very little time there, maybe a scattering of weekends at Birkhall for shooting during the year and a few days with Kate and the children in the late summer when the Queen and other members of the family are holidaying at Balmoral.

As far as I know William doesn't have huge specific interest in Scottish concerns and charities, and I think he has the Thistle because he is heir to the heir more than anything else.

By contrast, all the Queen's children have served as Lords High Commissioner to the Assembly of the Church of Scotland for a year, in Anne's case twice. IMHO I think Anne should definitely have received it. See Dman's post below!

Last edited:
HRH The Princess Royal received The Order of the Thistle back in 2000.

Anne and Charles certainly do a lot for Scottish charities and organisations and Charles spends an awful lot of time up in Scotland. However, William spends very little time there, maybe a scattering of weekends at Birkhall for shooting during the year and a few days with Kate and the children in the late summer when the Queen and other members of the family are holidaying at Balmoral.

As far as I know William doesn't have huge specific interest in Scottish concerns and charities, and I think he has the Thistle because he is heir to the heir more than anything else.

By contrast, all the Queen's children have served as Lords High Commissioner to the Assembly of the Church of Scotland for a year, in Anne's case twice. IMHO I think Anne should definitely have received it. See Dman's post below!

Agreed, the only real connection between William and Scotland besides a rare trip to Balmoral is having gone to college there. On the other hand, most of the senior royals have at least a handful of charities in Scotland they are actively involved in. Andrew has a number, not surprisingly golf related, but not all of them.

It seems more that he is the future king, then any personal connection William has with Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom