The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can see this campaign expanding to the USA. I know we need to address this major issue in America.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree! In Norway, mental health is talked about all the time by both the King, Prime Minister and other politicians. News programs such as Good Morning Norway often invites ordinary people who struggle with all sorts of things to the studeo to talk about their feelings etc.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The beauty of Heads Together is that no matter what the royal engagement is, be it children related, military related, health care related or just about anything, it can be related to mental health issues.

This gives them the platform to enhance what is already there. We've seen that already in various aspects.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I fully agree, but they must be careful. Because they can quickly be perceived as too political, and then the press/politicians will turn on them (but we are far from there yet).
Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether this is the right spot to put this, but in the light of recent discussions about members of the BRF coming forward about their coping issues I think it's interesting.

Diana Effect is Credited with Decline in Bulimia - Articles - Eating Disorders | HealthyPlace
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this would be as good as place as any Curryong. IMHO it's a good example of how a public figure can bring attention to a health issue and impact it in a positive manner.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Majesty

Oh most definitely!! Diana speaking out on bulimia and her problems with it can and does make other people realize that if they have the same problem that if Diana can deal with it, so can they. its a huge incentive to get help.

This effect also works so very well in advertising. Macho Sports Star is see wearing pink and purple neon socks and overnight, everyone wants those pink and purple socks. Its the same with any clothing Kate, George or Charlotte wear (I left out William and his blue suit because we all know its boooring).

The more people that the public look up to and admire speak out on certain issues and perhaps, like Harry and Diana, share their own personal struggles, it can only be for good. When it comes to the issues of mental health, the more monkey see then monkey do, the better.

Another good outcome of this campaign is that perhaps it will even nudge some people to seriously consider going into the mental health field as a profession.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know whether this is the right spot to put this, but in the light of recent discussions about members of the BRF coming forward about their coping issues I think it's interesting.

Diana Effect is Credited with Decline in Bulimia - Articles - Eating Disorders | HealthyPlace

Thanks Curryong I was flipping though this thread and was disappointed to see some people were using it to criticize Diana again. I think which ever royal is promoting mental health is doing a great job and even if it saves just one live it's been worth it. I love the way Will Kate and Harry are working together on something so dear to them
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

William, Kate and Harry arrive to open the Global Academy in West London @heads_together #headstogether

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C91yo3yXsAEBLpW.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C91yo30W0AAuea4.jpg
Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Here's a pictured article and some more pics:

** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Spicing up her life! Kate dazzles in a red Armani suit as she prepares to meet pop royalty Emma Bunton with William and Harry **
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Turns out Catherine was mic-ed by the BBC yesterday. They were filming while she welcomed Heads Together runners to Kensington Palace. I knew something was different, because we heard her so much clearer than ever.

------------------------------

Video:
Harry talking to Rhiannon Mills-
http://news.sky.com/story/amp/prince...tigma-10843330

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Visit Global Academy-
Home - ITNSource News

Duchess of Cambridge comments on motherhood-
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...onely-isolated

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I get where you're coming from and in cases like Sarah on Oprah, it was like marketing her misery with an ulterior motive. Same with Diana's "tell all " books and such. There was an ulterior motive behind it. Its pretty easy to watch a person and listen to them and figure out where their head it at and what their motive for doing what they're doing is.
I suspect Sarah and Diana both could have done with some good therapy and mental health support, better than what someone in their position would feel comfortable seeking out at the time, anyway. They ended up giving interviews that feel to me like flailing out in bad ways in hopes of somehow stumbling into the kind of emotional leg up that comes from feeling heard, only they picked a quite unhealthy way to do it.

William and Harry, on the other hand, sound to me like people who have had very good counselling and/or support and have learned how to carefully share their story in a way that might be helpful to others. They got help when they were at their most vulnerable and waited to talk to the press until they were strong enough to be deliberate and measured in what they shared, as opposed to the way their mother and aunt went to the press in the middle of their lowest moments.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh most definitely!! Diana speaking out on bulimia and her problems with it can and does make other people realize that if they have the same problem that if Diana can deal with it, so can they. its a huge incentive to get help.
I would imagine Will and Harry have heard from many people at handshaking/ribbon cutting events over the years who wanted to tell them something like, "hearing your mother talk about her struggles helped me find the courage to get help." After all, by the time they started taking on those kinds of royal duties, she was no longer around for people to thank; her sons would be the next logical option for people who felt the impulse to offer that thanks in person. The vocal response of people who felt helped by Diana must surely have been a great lesson to them in the power of their position.

One of the things I find most fascinating about royal watching is seeing how the various royal families have adjusted their role to the times, finding what is most effective way to be of value to their nations in an era in this still relatively new era of the non-political monarch. Elizabeth II has done an excellent job of codifying how to make traditional, ceremonial duties feel vital in a modern era, rather than the self-serving "look at me, aren't I special, grovel all ye peons" attitude that many absolute monarchs once brought to them. I can't help but feel Heads Together is a sign of this new generation taking the next step, building on her advances by finding a way to do something similar to the more mundane, day-to-day royal duties.

The traditional schedule of seemingly random ribbon cuttings and such is clearly well-intentioned, it certainly achieves the purpose of being seen to be believed, but it does also have an air of "adding a royal makes anything more special, so let's just make everyone feel special by showing up to...well, whatever, I'm sure it's good." Developing more of an overall focus and message to the choice and nature of events and using multiple platforms to deliver that message adds a new layer of purpose and relevance that I think bodes well for the future of the monarchy. I do, however, feel like it's in something of a growing pains stage of development. Sorting out new ways of approaching the schedule, especially while there are other, unrelated, non-public responsibilities still taking up some of their time, means the meetings and organizational side to this work keeps them off camera and out of view in a way that doesn't feel "royal" enough. But I suspect that will change some as they and their staff get to a point where they have a strong formula and workflow for building and maintaining these more connectional, multi-pronged campaigns.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry have officially opened The Global Academy in support of Heads Together.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

BBC One Mind Over Marathon (Episode-1) Airs Tonight at 9PM

"Nick Knowles challenges ten people with different mental health issues to run the London Marathon. Will it change their lives?"

BBC One - Mind over Marathon

Watch it outside of UK-
http://tvpc.us/Channel.php?ChannelID=43387

Video:
London getting their headbands on #TeamHeadsTogether @LondonMarathon-
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingto...05077161361412

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here we go with some media backlash-
Royals criticised for their mental health revelatoins | Daily Mail Online

Again, people are missing the whole point. The William, Catherine and Harry don't feel sorry for themselves. They're just highlighting mental health, anxiety and depression issues people are having across the U.K. and world. They are trying to get people talking about these things that people don't normally talk about. People all over are suffering in silence because they may not have anyone to talk to and need a support team. The Cambridge's and Prince Harry are also sharing their stories and personal feelings.

Members of the media and other commentators need to stop thinking the royals have a perfect life and don't have any personal issues themselves.

How can the royals help get people talking about theses important issues, if they're not willing to talk about theirs?

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Its kind of ironic too that the media that is proclaiming that the Cambridges and Harry are "feeling sorry for themselves" is exactly the attitude that Heads Together is working to abolish.

Yeps.. that's the ticket. Talking about problems you have or have had is a cry for attention and not something that really needed to be dealt with. Good going Daily Fail and its trolls.

If anyone is detrimental to what Heads Together is trying to accomplish, its articles like this and people that comment with their nasty on.

All the more reason to not read the Daily Fail. Ever.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Some angry people on twitter who don't like the monarchy and Katie Hopkins isn't what I will call media backlash. But as I said in another post, they have to be carfull, because they can quickly be perceived as too political. (but we are far from there yet)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Here we go with some media backlash-
Royals criticised for their mental health revelatoins | Daily Mail Online

Again, people are missing the whole point. The William, Catherine and Harry don't feel sorry for themselves. They're just highlighting mental health, anxiety and depression issues people are having across the U.K. and world. They are trying to get people talking about these things that people don't normally talk about. People all over are suffering in silence because they may not have anyone to talk to and need a support team. The Cambridge's and Prince Harry are also sharing their stories and personal feelings.

Members of the media and other commentators need to stop thinking the royals have a perfect life and don't have any personal issues themselves.

How can the royals help get people talking about theses important issues, if they're not willing to talk about theirs?
NEither Katie Hopkins nor the DM reflect public opinion. And repeating what they write/say is risky. They have had to pay out substantial damages and legal costs to one family; and Hopkins just been sued and lost for twitter comments.
And thats just in the past few months.

It seems to me that the DM is the go to publication on this forum for many posters. Thats fine but it is not reflecting the general view. And that applies even more so to the appalling Mail online.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,