The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a very general question that relates to reporting on Harry's recent revelations about seeking help in his late 20s. And to Heads Together.

Here in the US, a "breakdown" is not technically a medical condition. Instead, it is any number of mental illnesses that lead to a short term state where someone cannot function normally in society. The medical condition is the the underlying mental illness (Depression as example) It matters to your insurer, your treatment and your approach to recovery. So, while people say "she had a breakdown," people in the US who actually treat mental illness tend to cringe at the term just a bit. As do many people I know who have lived through "a breakdown" or live with mental illness.

At least to practitioners and people I have known, they find the term "breakdown" overly dramatic and unhelpful, in terms of relief.

But that's just in the US and our psycological diagnostic system, so my general question is about mental health and Heads Together in the UK. Is mental breakdown more accepted there? It may be, as it is just semantics.

And I am NOT bashing Harry - I really am curious. And I don't want to stray far off topic - just understand the system in the UK a bit better. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going to take a stab at this. I am not a professional and this is just my guesstimation.

Mental issues and things like viruses and certain conditions all have an effect on the body and the body reacts. I would imagine that an actual "breakdown" is the effect that the cause (depression, bipolar etc) bring about in the human body. A exposure to poison ivy will give you an itch and a rash. Depression if not recognized and treated will cause the body to breakdown.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Prince Harry as Patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust opened the Virgin Money London Marathon Expo at ExCel in London today, April 19.

Heads Together is the official Charity of the Year for this year's marathon.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: Harry gets a little help to cut ribbon at London Marathon Expo opening **

** dailymail: Harry's little helper! Prince and an adorable young royal fan officially open the London Marathon Expo **
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC Breakfast‏ @BBCBreakfast
After losing her baby boy and husband in 2012 @rhian_burke spoke to Prince William as part of a new @bbcone documentary #MindOverMarathon

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/sta...87996422713348
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Majesty

"The Duchess of Cambridge showed her support for London Marathon runners in a reception at Kensington Palace today.
Kate, hosted a group of athletes running for Heads Together, the mental health campaign she launched last year alongside the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry."
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge hosts #TeamHeadsTogether runners at Kensington Palace, to wish them luck with preparing for the @LondonMarathon
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...11284616617989

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9yONWiWsAAuS_E.jpg
Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

As I've said in other threads, the Cambridges received more praise from the press after it became known that William was likely to take on a full-time royal role. I expected it to continue, but then we had the Switzerland thing and the press turned on him again.

I have become slightly more negative recently, and I actually thought that William was going to get criticized for this as well, but I was thankfully wrong.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
Very nice engagement and Catherine is just glowing-
World of Windsor : drubles-bestgum1: The Duchess of Cambridge speaks...

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As I've said in other threads, the Cambridges received more praise from the press after it became known that William was likely to take on a full-time royal role. I expected it to continue, but then we had the Switzerland thing and the press turned on him again.

I have become slightly more negative recently, and I actually thought that William was going to get criticized for this as well, but I was thankfully wrong.
Untrue. They were negative before. Before Switzerland they fabricated the story that William and Catherine were responsible for the massive basement renovation of KP, something the press knew was untrue but they wanted a big headline hit piece, that they could later quietly retract with one hidden sentence.

As for this Head's Together Campaign, It's nice to see other posters responding so well to it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the over-sharing that the Queen's grandchildren seem to do. To me it's the emotional equivalent of posting a selfie on social media. So while others are clapping, I'm cringing. It's important to talk about your feelings and struggles with family and friends, and professional therapists if the conflict doesn't resolve itself, but the need to air it out to millions of strangers - it reminds me all too much of the wailing Sarah did on Oprah, or Diana's tell-alls. I like the old-school ways better. I like that Edward, Alexandra, and Michael don't bemoan to the media on a yearly basis the early loss of their father. I'm sure they dealt with the pain and frustration with those closest to them, but they don't seek the PR or the emotional validation from millions of strangers.

I can tell I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine. I just wanted to give a nod to the older royals, as I agree with them.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Majesty

It seems that lately, every time I log on here, something different is in the works for Heads Together. One thing for sure is that it is keeping The Three Musketeers (W&K&H) quite active.

I think something like Heads Together is going to be the wave of the future as far as royal duties and engagements are going to be. One issue that covers many, many fields of interests, organizations and events. We've seen lately that one video with William and Lady Gaga has been tremendously followed and from London to LA, people are taking notice.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if somehow, Harry finagles a way to work Heads Together into the Invictus Games in Toronto. That would be totally awesome as many, many returning service personnel have mental issues when adapting back to civilian life especially those with injuries.

The more people know, the better. Knowledge is power.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Untrue. They were negative before. Before Switzerland they fabricated the story that William and Catherine were responsible for the massive basement renovation of KP, something the press knew was untrue but they wanted a big headline hit piece, that they could later quietly retract with one hidden sentence.

As for this Head's Together Campaign, It's nice to see other posters responding so well to it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the over-sharing that the Queen's grandchildren seem to do. To me it's the emotional equivalent of posting a selfie on social media. So while others are clapping, I'm cringing. It's important to talk about your feelings and struggles with family and friends, and professional therapists if the conflict doesn't resolve itself, but the need to air it out to millions of strangers - it reminds me all too much of the wailing Sarah did on Oprah, or Diana's tell-alls. I like the old-school ways better. I like that Edward, Alexandra, and Michael don't bemoan to the media on a yearly basis the early loss of their father. I'm sure they dealt with the pain and frustration with those closest to them, but they don't seek the PR or the emotional validation from millions of strangers.

I can tell I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine. I just wanted to give a nod to the older royals, as I agree with them.
Yes, they were negative before (as they always are), but the Cambridges did receive more praise from the press after the full-time royal role thing become known.

The Heads Together Campaign:

1. It's good for those who are struggling.

2. It's good for the Cambridges.

3. The media likes it.

4. Most people likes it.

5. And I like it.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post

I get where you're coming from and in cases like Sarah on Oprah, it was like marketing her misery with an ulterior motive. Same with Diana's "tell all " books and such. There was an ulterior motive behind it. Its pretty easy to watch a person and listen to them and figure out where their head it at and what their motive for doing what they're doing is.

With Heads Together and speaking out and getting messages to as many people as possible, I've not seen one indication that anyone that is speaking out for this has any kind of personal ulterior motive. In fact, if I was to make a comparison between the interviews and videos to anything, it would be the 12 step programs designed for people with certain problems to come together, support each other and work together on the program to find a happy, stable life without the addiction. A big part of the program is giving back and telling one's story as not only inspiration and that one can succeed but also it very much tells someone new that they are never alone in their struggles.

These are the differences I see and your opinion, Miss Whirley, is very valid and I understand where you're coming from.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Read more: Duchess of Cambridge: hero Prince Harry has been 'brilliant'
Quote:
he Duchess of Cambridge has praised her brother-in-law, Prince Harry, for speaking out about his own mental health, proclaiming him "brilliant".

The Duchess, who has today welcomed London Marathon runners to Kensington Palace to support charity Heads Together, said the mental health campaign this week has been "amazing".

Asked about Prince Harry's candid interview, in which he spoke of having counselling to come to terms with his mother's death, she said: “We all felt there was very much a campaign to get everyone talking and have these conversations.

"We’ve got to do the same, you know, so he’s been brilliant."
Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I get where you're coming from and in cases like Sarah on Oprah, it was like marketing her misery with an ulterior motive. Same with Diana's "tell all " books and such. There was an ulterior motive behind it. Its pretty easy to watch a person and listen to them and figure out where their head it at and what their motive for doing what they're doing is.

With Heads Together and speaking out and getting messages to as many people as possible, I've not seen one indication that anyone that is speaking out for this has any kind of personal ulterior motive. In fact, if I was to make a comparison between the interviews and videos to anything, it would be the 12 step programs designed for people with certain problems to come together, support each other and work together on the program to find a happy, stable life without the addiction. A big part of the program is giving back and telling one's story as not only inspiration and that one can succeed but also it very much tells someone new that they are never alone in their struggles.

These are the differences I see and your opinion, Miss Whirley, is very valid and I understand where you're coming from.
I think in the late Princess and Sarah's cases, they just needed to talk about their problems. In the 90's, the royal family, media and others just didn't think talking about depression, mental and personal issues were appropriate. Especially not out in the open for the world to hear.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry is pretty much changing this out of date attitude with the Heads Together campaign. Harry's interview the other day would've been tabloid gold and royal PR trouble back in his moms day. Both William and Harry have been letting it known that the institution of the monarchy have to move with the times.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge hosts the Heads Together Marathon Runners at Kensington Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

BTW, Catherine's private secretary, Rebecca Deacon, is back from her honeymoon.

Love the audio, because you can actually hear (clearly) Catherine talking to everyone.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think in the late Princess and Sarah's cases, they just needed to talk about their problems. In the 90's, the royal family, media and others just didn't think talking about depression, mental and personal issues were appropriate. Especially not out in the open for the world to hear.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry is pretty much changing this out of date attitude with the Heads Together campaign. Harry's interview the other day would've been tabloid gold and royal PR trouble back in his moms day. Both William and Harry have been letting it known that the institution of the monarchy have to move with the times.
I actually thought the very same thing, Dman, last night as I was reading more of Sally Bedell Smith's "Diana: Portrait of a Troubled Princess". After the marriage, Diana remarked that the royal family was "different" in the respects that they didn't talk about themselves, their feelings or anything personal. When Diana would exhibit signs of discontent, they would just look away and pretend that it wasn't there and that's where the term "ostritching" comes from in relation to the royal family.

As population increases and the global society gets smaller and smaller, we're finding that we really are living in troubled times and Heads Together is very much needed. When a need for something arises, it takes courage to go against age old traditional ways of dealing with something and work for a change. I can't help but think that perhaps what Diana went through and then being open about her problems such as bulimia, it opened the gate for her sons to go down that path with Heads Together.

Regardless of what may have been, Heads Together has been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I actually thought the very same thing, Dman, last night as I was reading more of Sally Bedell Smith's "Diana: Portrait of a Troubled Princess". After the marriage, Diana remarked that the royal family was "different" in the respects that they didn't talk about themselves, their feelings or anything personal. When Diana would exhibit signs of discontent, they would just look away and pretend that it wasn't there and that's where the term "ostritching" comes from in relation to the royal family.

As population increases and the global society gets smaller and smaller, we're finding that we really are living in troubled times and Heads Together is very much needed. When a need for something arises, it takes courage to go against age old traditional ways of dealing with something and work for a change. I can't help but think that perhaps what Diana went through and then being open about her problems such as bulimia, it opened the gate for her sons to go down that path with Heads Together.

Regardless of what may have been, Heads Together has been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.
Yeah, I just find this campaign mind blowing, because it's helping many people get real about mental illness and other personal issues practically everyone is facing.

It's truly amazing that these three most senior royals are heading Heads Together. I say this because they're from an old institution that didn't get involved in things like this, although many past and present members of the royal family have suffered from depression, mental illness, and a host of other issues. Keeping a stiff upper lip and not talking about these very important issues never really helped anyone, but made the person suffer in silence for the sake of the family, reputations and standing in society.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Heads Toghether Campaign (who is what this campaign is about) has (as Osipi wrote) been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.

Quote:
Agree!

Quote:
The Queen (as we have heard from several reliable people) tried to help/talk to Diana (who was very manipulative), but it diden't help.

This is the Lady who tells her staff to be kind, who helps traumatized aid workers etc. And as william has said, he can talk to the Queen about everything.

Sally Bedell Smith is a typical american who talk/writes about British royalty, and I have discovered several factual errors in what she writes/says. She has even said (in an article she wrote some weeks before her Charles biography come out) that Charles will be a political king.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Heads Toghether Campaign (who is what this campaign is about) has (as Osipi wrote) been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.

Agree!

The Queen (as we have heard from several reliable people) tried to help/talk to Diana (who was very manipulative), but it diden't help.

This is the Lady who tells her staff to be kind, who helps traumatized aid workers etc. And as william has said, he can talk to the Queen about everything.

Sally Bedell Smith is a typical american who talk/writes about British royalty, and I have discovered several factual errors in what she writes/says. She has even said (in an article she wrote some weeks before her Charles biography come out) that Charles will be a political king.
Yes, The Queen tried to help, but The Queen isn't a professional counselor who's capable of helping someone with major deep and personal issues and marriages. Motherly and grandmotherly advice, yes.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Majesty

The point I was trying to make that in the royal family, for example, at dinner, private and personal issues were avoided and not considered something appropriate to discuss or exhibit.

With the message of Heads Together, I would imagine that dinner talk about what's happening in the family's lives would be encouraged and there would be a strong support system at home. Families need to realize that being together as a family is one of the most important things in life. At least, I think so.