The Heads Together Campaign: Activities from April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joanne Sibley, a student from Livability’s Victoria Education Centre in Poole, Dorset, was invited to meet the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a special event to mark World Mental Health Day.

Organised as a ‘Heads Together’ charity coalition event at County Hall and the Coca-Cola London Eye on the South Bank, the event took place on Monday 10 October.

This year’s theme for World Mental Health Day focuses on the importance of “psychological and mental health first aid for all”. At a special reception, their Royal Highnesses heard first-hand about the support that helps and thanked people from across the UK who have provided mental health first aid to someone.
Read more: Student from Livability’s Victoria Education Centre meets with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to help raise awareness for mental health • Livability

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge has written the foreword for this @GCHQ puzzle book supporting @heads_together
https://www.gchq.gov.uk/news-articl...des-charity-launch-its-first-ever-puzzle-book

Aspiring code-breakers are being challenged by the UK's national intelligence and security agency in a new puzzle book backed by the Duchess of Cambridge.

GCHQ is releasing its first puzzle collection, which includes a foreword written by Kate, whose grandmother was a Bletchley Park code-breaker during the Second World War.

In the book's foreword, the Duchess writes that she is "immensely" proud of her grandmother, Valerie Glassborow, and her twin sister, Mary, who were part of the Allied effort to break enemy codes.

She said: "They rarely talked about their wartime service, but we now know just how important the men and women of Bletchley Park were, as they tackled some of the hardest problems facing the country.

"In a new century, their successors at GCHQ continue this intellectual tradition. Like their Bletchley predecessors, they have become well known for valuing neurodiversity and understanding the importance of mental well-being."

All GCHQ proceeds from the book will be donated to Heads Together, the campaign spearheaded by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, to tackle stigma, raise awareness and provide vital help for people with mental health challenges.
Read more: GCHQ releases first ever puzzle collection for aspiring code-breakers | London Evening Standard

Prince Harry, William and Kate have donned headbands and recorded a video plea to urge runners in next year's London Marathon to back their mental health campaign.

Harry has invited runners to help make next year's London Marathon "the marathon for mental health" by supporting his anti-stigma campaign.

In a video message Harry urges participants: "Congratulations if you have got a place in the Virgin Money London Marathon. I hope the first timers amongst you are more excited than scared.

"If you already have a place and are undecided who to run for, William, Catherine and I would like to invite you to run with Heads Together."
Read more: London Marathon: Prince Harry, William and Kate don sweatbands to urge runners to back mental health campaign | London Evening Standard

He always looks very cheerful and confident when he speaks on video or online.

And lets not forget enthusiastic. He does come across as very passionate and enthusiastic about whatever he's talking about. Many videos I've come across with Harry talking about something does not have closed captioning so I just watch his expressions. :D

This afternoon The Duke will see how business leaders can help support employees through tough times in their lives with @heads_together.

The Duke is with some of the UK's top employers hearing from @MindCharity about the value of having a mental wellbeing programme.

There are so many ways to create an atmosphere where people feel comfortable to talk about mental health at work - The Duke is hearing how.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/805809620954583040

Heads Together ‏@heads_together
The Duke discussed the employer pledge w/ @TimetoChange which 473 organisations have signed to make positive change on #mentalhealth at work
https://twitter.com/heads_together/status/805804879281266689

Heads Together ‏@heads_together
Great to see partner @theCALMzone discussing the #Mandictionary campaign w/ The Duke sparking open conversations on men's MH #HeadsTogether
http:/https://twitter.com/heads_together/status/805808641509101569

https://www.headstogether.org.uk/

The Duke of Cambridge attended a briefing with business leaders to discuss the importance of workplace wellbeing. The event, hosted by Unilever, one of the campaign’s Founding Partners, was an opportunity for The Duke to hear from some of the country’s top FTSE 100 employers about how mental health and wellbeing is currently understood within the workplace, and what more we can do to challenge stigma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1glwn-ps6U

.@TheMixUK supports young people aged 13-25 & is one of the 8 @heads_together partner charities changing how we talk about mental health.

Kensington Palace‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke, Duchess, Prince Harry and @heads_together have been invited to join @TheMixUK Volunteer Christmas Party on 19 Dec.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/806176624320331777

The Mix ‏@TheMixUK
We're delighted that TRH The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge & Prince Harry @KensingtonRoyal @heads_together will be attending our Volunteer AGM
https://twitter.com/TheMixUK/status/806176717421367296

Last edited:
Someone over at the Telegraph has been nipping too much of the nog with the jog and didn't do some much needed research before submitting this article for publication.

Great article and its fantastic that HRH, The Duchess of Cambridge has thanked the Telegraph for their support of the Heads Together appeal. It just is too bad that they've relegated Kate to being the divorced spouse of The Duke of Cambridge. :bang:

:previous: um, they refer to her as his wife, or as the royal couple throughout the entire article. If you are referring to Catherine, duchess of Cambridge. We have seen Princess Kate, duchess Kate, duchess Catherine......honestly this is the closest to proper, and anyone who isn't a royal fan likely would not see any difference. Camilla is often referred to as Camilla, duchess of Cornwall, and Sophie in the same way. And not just by the telegraph. At least they aren't calling her Kate Middleton as some do.

That's so true. Maybe I expected the Telegraph to be more "correct". Come to think of it, if I had read that before joining here, I wouldn't have had a clue which use of a title was proper or incorrect. Shows to go ya how much I've learned just by being here eh? :D

PM Theresa May praised the work of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and their Heads Together campaign in a major policy speech

I want us to employ the power of government as a force for good to transform the way we deal with mental health problems right across society, and at every stage of life.

For years the only people who have stood up for those with mental ill health have been civil society groups and charities. Now I want us to build upon your success and the fantastic work that many including those here today are doing.

Organisations such as Mind who have led the way in helping those experiencing mental health problems. The Heads Together campaign – and the fantastic leadership shown by their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry – that aims to break the stigma surrounding mental health problems.
Read more: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-shared-society-prime-ministers-speech-at-the-charity-commission-annual-meeting

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will speak at a briefing Jan 17 to outline the next phase of their @heads_together campaign

TRH will outline their ambitions for @heads_together on 17 Jan, as the campaign intensifies in the run up to the @LondonMarathon.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/819559578232832000

TRH will open up the campaign to organisations to become supporters to help get the country talking about mental health in 2017.

Prince William, Princess Kate and Prince Harry are taking their mental health campaign to the small screen.

The royal trio are set to take part in a documentary for the BBC leading up to the London Marathon in April, according to reports Friday.

The royals are working with presenter Nick Knowles, who told The Sun, “I’m working on a mental health documentary with the young royals, which should come out around the time of the marathon. I can’t tell you anymore.”

Knowles also worked with William and Harry on the day that they helped renovate homes for injured or sick Armed Forces members on the BBC show DIYSOS in September 2015.
Read more: Prince William, Kate and Harry Set for Documentary on Mental Health Campaign

The Daily Mail article about this event is ridiculous. It's half way through the article until they mention what the royals said. The first part is a retrospective of Kate's recent hairdos and there is a Harry and Meghan bit.

I don't think that one can't expect anything from th DM...

Thank you much eya for finding and posting this article. Although the title draws the eye because of the playful banter between a husband and wife, there is so much in this article that really expresses the need for each and every one of us to reach out when we need it. There is no one among us that hasn't had mental illnesses or crises in their lifetime.

The work of Heads Together (wonderfully apt title too) strives to let us all know that even though we may be going through something that we feel is unique and that no one in the entire world could possibly understand, the fact is that there have been others in the same situation, with the same feelings and emotions and that we're never alone or need to be.

Now, the big question is. If William does hold up to his vow to run a race in Kenya, will he be holding up a Harry mask in front of his face as he does it? :whistling:

The Daily Mail article about this event is ridiculous. It's half way through the article until they mention what the royals said. The first part is a retrospective of Kate's recent hairdos and there is a Harry and Meghan bit.
They didn't even say anything new. This campaign is honestly more hype than talk at this point.

They did say new stuff- as the London marathon gets closer various people will be sharing their stories about how talking about their mental health issues helped them. The whole point is to remove the stigma from talking about your mental health. That's really not something that can be easily quantified like we want to raise a million dollars and we have raised 25K so far.

They did say new stuff- as the London marathon gets closer various people will be sharing their stories about how talking about their mental health issues helped them. The whole point is to remove the stigma from talking about your mental health. That's really not something that can be easily quantified like we want to raise a million dollars and we have raised 25K so far.

Yup. It's all about keeping the conversation going and removing the stigma

At today’s briefing for leaders from across UK society, Their Royal Highnesses said that 2017 marks a ‘tipping point’ for mental health in the UK and outlined how Heads Together aims to make this the year when millions of people talk about their mental health without fear of judgement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQAwEiQH6I

They didn't even say anything new. This campaign is honestly more hype than talk at this point.

This wasn't a launch it was a briefing by "Heads Together"

The Royals spoke but they weren't the only ones. I particularly liked what Rio Ferdinand had to say about issues in the macho football culture and also remembering that he just lost his wife (has 3 children).

As Skippyboo said, new things were said but this is about keeping the message in the public eye until it becomes the norm to talk about it. It's a campaign - like any other marketing campaign - and it will be ongoing.

The marathon is a great idea and there is also a documentary being transmitted around that time.

The Government is giving more funding, some of the more serious press is behind this campaign. There's more going on than a few words printed by a few papers. People need to use more than one source for information to get the entire picture.

This wasn't a launch it was a briefing by "Heads Together"

The Royals spoke but they weren't the only ones. I particularly liked what Rio Ferdinand had to say about issues in the macho football culture and also remembering that he just lost his wife (has 3 children).

As Skippyboo said, new things were said but this is about keeping the message in the public eye until it becomes the norm to talk about it. It's a campaign - like any other marketing campaign - and it will be ongoing.

The marathon is a great idea and there is also a documentary being transmitted around that time.

The Government is giving more funding, some of the more serious press is behind this campaign. There's more going on than a few words printed by a few papers. People need to use more than one source for information to get the entire picture.
I don't believe the stigma around mental health will be lessened by showing up at an event every few months. Encouraging people to talk is great, but does it provide support? People are being referred to charity partners but do charity partners actually receive more budget? Donations?

That's what is interesting to me. Raising awareness is fine, but when that's all there is to it, I'm not impressed.

But hey, if there are actual documents showing my potentionally unfounded opinion, that's fine too.

People are raising money. They are raising money by running in the London Marathon. That money going to the member charities like Mind, Place2B etc.

Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry

I don't believe the stigma around mental health will be lessened by showing up at an event every few months. Encouraging people to talk is great, but does it provide support? People are being referred to charity partners but do charity partners actually receive more budget? Donations?

That's what is interesting to me. Raising awareness is fine, but when that's all there is to it, I'm not impressed.

But hey, if there are actual documents showing my potentionally unfounded opinion, that's fine too.

I am someone who deals w/Depression & PTSD, has Family Members dealing w/Bi Polar & a Cousin who died because walking in the bush was one of the few things that kept the Voices quiet. While doing that on a February night five years ago he became lost, decided to lie down near an old tree that had fallen down for shelter & passed away due to the cold from what the Authorities were able to figure out from both finding him & what the Family told them. As someone who deals w/& has a Family History of Mental Illness, I find your post to be both incredibly ignorant & unbelievably maddening.

Do you have any idea the impact of "just raising awareness" on something like Mental Health entails? Or having people like William, Kate and Harry take it on so publicly?

Obviously not. I'm sorry "just raising awareness" is so meaningless to you. For those of us dealing w/some form of it, having them & here in Canada, Olympic Champion Speed Skater Clara Hughes among others, in our corner & openly talking about it, therefore helping to make it okay to talk about? That is far from being meaningless.

Do you have any idea how long it's taken me to talk about things that have happened to me, such as being stalked or the things that trigger my PTSD/Panic Attacks, w/my own Doctor!?! Close to 15 years. I was too scared in case I was told it was all in my head. And I knew thanks to other Medical stuff we've battled getting resolved he would never do that to me. All thanks to the stigma attached to Mental Illness. The various Awareness campaigns these past few years not only given me, but countless others out there, the courage to finally talk about it w/out fear of ridicule or shame.

I'm beyond sad you seem to think "just raising awareness" is meaningless. It is anything but!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I am someone who deals w/Depression & PTSD, has Family Members dealing w/Bi Polar & a Cousin who died because walking in the bush was one of the few things that kept the Voices quiet. While doing that on a February night five years ago he became lost, decided to lie down near an old tree that had fallen down for shelter & passed away due to the cold from what the Authorities were able to figure out from both finding him & what the Family told them. As someone who deals w/& has a Family History of Mental Illness, I find your post to be both incredibly ignorant & unbelievably maddening.

Do you have any idea the impact of "just raising awareness" on something like Mental Health entails? Or having people like William, Kate and Harry take it on so publicly?

Obviously not. I'm sorry "just raising awareness" is so meaningless to you. For those of us dealing w/some form of it, having them & here in Canada, Olympic Champion Speed Skater Clara Hughes among others, in our corner & openly talking about it, therefore helping to make it okay to talk about? That is far from being meaningless.

Do you have any idea how long it's taken me to talk about things that have happened to me, such as being stalked or the things that trigger my PTSD/Panic Attacks, w/my own Doctor!?! Close to 15 years. I was too scared in case I was told it was all in my head. And I knew thanks to other Medical stuff we've battled getting resolved he would never do that to me. All thanks to the stigma attached to Mental Illness. The various Awareness campaigns these past few years not only given me, but countless others out there, the courage to finally talk about it w/out fear of ridicule or shame.

I'm beyond sad you seem to think "just raising awareness" is meaningless. It is anything but!!

I'm sorry for what you went/are going through. Mental health and illness has such a stigma too it that people don't want to talk about it because of all the negative, cultural/historical aspects of it.
And when people do talk about it and/or are raising awareness to remove the stigma we get people who are condescending about the people who are dealing or trying to raised awareness.
"Just raising awareness" as the tone deaf people like to call it is never meaningless, for any illness. One doesn't just raise awareness for a year and stop. That not the way it works, especially for mental health that has been stigmatize for centuries

Where did I say it's meaningless? Nowhere.
I have dealt with my own stuff, I have people in my family who struggle with addiction. I know it's important to talk. But it's also extremely important to support organizations in the form of funds and donations to help them deal with the increasing amount of people that take up their services and strain the budget even more. Smaller organizations need extra budget, especially ones with phone lines.

From the point of view of an organization and policy, it is extremely important to think further than just raising awareness.

You have read my post and decided it was personal, which one, it is not, two, laid words in my mouth I never spoke.

That said, no I am not impressed when the three of them show up once every few weeks/months.

You have to admit though that even if the Three Musketeers (W&K&H) show up just every now and then and promote something such as Head Together, it doesn't take long for the word to get out that this is what they've done and why they've done it and it reaches far more people that would be possible donors than you or I pounding the pavement for a cause 24/7 would.

Back
Top Bottom