The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
From the Sunday Times

The Queen has backed the decision by the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry to speak out about their mental health, expressing her “pride” at the campaign they have spearheaded with the Duchess of Cambridge.

Their Heads Together scheme, tackling the stigma around mental health and encouraging people to speak more openly about their struggles, is the official charity of today’s London Marathon.

William, Kate and Harry are attending the race and have called for it to be known as the “mental health marathon”.

A royal aide said: “The Queen has always gone out of her way to be even-handed and recognise the work of all members of her family. But even so, there is a quiet pride in what her grandsons and the duchess have achieved.

“Everyone can see the campaign has struck a chord and that by speaking about their personal experiences they will hopefully encourage others to discuss their mental health.”

It is understood that William and Harry consulted the Queen, who celebrated her 91st birthday on Friday, before speaking publicly and she supported their decision.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...rive-95jk9k2tr

Oh that's such a sweet article. I love it. I think both the Queen and Charles have so much to be proud of here- this is the first really big signature accomplishment of the Cambridges and Harry on their own major initiative and marks a big step forward in their royal duties.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 AM
Serene Highness

William, Catherine and Harry started Men's London Marathon 5 min ago

**Pic**

Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Serene Highness

Massive security at the London marathon | Daily Mail Online

* Prince William, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton all started the race together by pushing the red button
* They set on their way 50,000 athletes and celebrities including Chris Evans and model Ashley James
Old 04-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HRH Prince Harry poses with winners at the London Marathon earlier today.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Old 04-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

A Royal send-off! Kate, William and Harry cheer runners on at London Marathon starting line:

High fives and selfies with the Royals at the London marathon:
Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

What a fantastic day and everybody did great in the marathon.

Video Clip:
Harry squeeze water in William's eye- These funny guys
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...21516097929216

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Not many occasions happen when Will and Harry are in the same place together that they don't take advantage of being together and just play off each other and turn it into a fun time. Its quite endearing I think.

It seems like the London Marathon was a huge success and everyone had a good time and they had a pretty nice day for it too.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

They have a very good relationship, it comes across anytime you see them together.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 AM
Nobility

I love how the dominant narrative of the day is "Kate gets pissed at having water thrown on her" when the next pictures in the set show that the look on her face in the picture the british press printed was amusement.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Businesswoman taking on Wills and Kate over Heads Together | Daily Mail Online

Seems someone didn't do any checking before coming up with the name.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Nobility

Or they checked but thought there was sufficient difference in the categories that it wouldn't be a problem.

Frankly, while IANAL, I don't think the woman has a slam dunk case.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry but seems shotty work. Seems first step of creating a new business or charity should be to make sure the name isn't in use.

The royals will argue, oh but we already have all this press and merchandise...

The campaign is great but I would be pissed if they get to keep the name. The woman has had the registered company name for ten years now. She shouldn't have to change it because the charity took the name. If this was any business or charity without a royal or celeb behind, there would be no question who would win.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Nobility

Well, while she may have had the company for 10 years, she applied for the registration in 2014 and it was granted in January 2015.

And I don't think that will be their argument; I think their argument will be that there is no confusion between an HR consulting company in Belfast and a mental health charity in London so both trademarks can co-exist. That would seem reasonable to me.

There is no absolute rule that only one trademark registration can exist for a given mark. For example, there are at least 5 entities in the UK who have a currently registered trademark on the word rainbow right now (probably more, but I only checked the first two pages -out of 60 pages - of results).
Old 04-24-2017, 02:27 AM
Nobility

If she was smarter about this she would use it to her advantage. Potentially millions of people will be googling Heads Together and stumble upon her information by accident. Who knows what could come of that?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
If she was smarter about this she would use it to her advantage. Potentially millions of people will be googling Heads Together and stumble upon her information by accident. Who knows what could come of that?
Really? Do you know how many pages if you google heads together you'd have to browse to accidentally stumble on hers? I stopped after eight.

Hel that isn't how trademarks work. If I wanted to open a business called apple or Microsoft do you think it would be allowed? Microsoft bookstore wouldn't get confused with the computer company would it? But I wouldn't get away with registering it.

There are only two reasons that the charity will get away with it. One because of the patrons. And two because the original owner of the name likely lacks the resources to fight it.

Shotty business practices. Whoever helped come up with the name for the charity should be taken to task. They have a well paid staff, making sure a name wasn't in use wouldn't take long.

There are not five companies called Rainbow. Perhaps they have the word in the nane, but that is not remotely the same thing. Nor is having a rainbow in their logo. As long as it's not an exact copy of another logo. It would be like saying only one company can have coffee in its name. Any company can have coffee in its name, but only one can be registered at
starbucks coffee
Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Nobility

According to FindLaw, my understanding of how it works would seem to be substantially correct:

Quote:
Times When It May Be OK to Use a Similar or Identical Name

There are a few situations in which it may be okay to use a name that is already in existence -- just be sure that the name your are using is not famous! For example, if the name that you want to use is already being used by another company, but the other company sells a drastically different product than you plan on selling, then you may be able to move forward with using your chosen name. In addition, geographic location can be another factor that can let you use an identical name. If the business that already has your name is far away and serves only a small population, this makes it safer for you to use the name.

The key question that you have to answer is, "is it likely that a customer would be confused about the origins of the product or service if I used the same, or a similar name." For example, suppose that a business called "X-Y-Z" already exists and sells candy in Oregon. If you want to open a business called "X-Y-Z" that repaired computers, it would probably be pretty safe. If you wanted to open your business in Florida, it would be even safer.

Starting Your Business: Business Name Availability - FindLaw
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Given the royal connection that brand identification for this name is now more associated with them rather than with the lady who used it first and thus it would substantially affect her.

I remember many years ago know that a store in a small town in NZ was called Harrods after the family that established it way back when. It operated for years and years and then along came Harrods in the UK and tried to shut them down even though no one would really think this little store was in anyway connected. The New Zealand store was a restaurant. British law operates in many of his former colonies and is different to the law in other countries. The reason why Al Fayed backed off (it was 1986/7) was because he was mocked in the UK press (and the Australian and New Zealand press as well). Had it gone to court he would have won. http://www.itnsource.com/jp/shotlist...outh+bank+show

The example of Oregan and Florida would suggest that this is American law which doesn't necessarily apply the same in other countries.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

My understanding is that "Heads Together" is not a charity. It is the name of the campaign which brought 8 mental health registered charities together.

The issue may be resolved by using Team Heads Together which was used as logo on Sunday.

The need to register now is obv because the campaign has proved so successful and they want to continue.

Or they dont register - they have been using it for a year and nothing was said until now.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

UPDATE: we should have known!

Northern Ireland businesswoman has no problem with Royals calling charity Heads Together - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,