The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not know where to put this, but I thought maybe this was the most appropriate topic.
A Portuguese newspaper has reported on what will happen when the Queen dies.

Here is an excerpt:
Her eyes will be closed and Carlos will be king. The brothers will kiss your hands. The first official to deal with the news will be Sir Christopher Geidt, the private secretary to Elizabeth II, a former diplomat who received a second degree of Knight in 2014, partly because he planned the succession. Geidt will contact the Prime Minister.
https://expresso.pt/arquivos-express...rainha-morrer-

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I did not know where to put this, but I thought maybe this was the most appropriate topic.
A Portuguese newspaper has reported on what will happen when the Queen dies.

Here is an excerpt:
Her eyes will be closed and Carlos will be king. The brothers will kiss your hands. The first official to deal with the news will be Sir Christopher Geidt, the private secretary to Elizabeth II, a former diplomat who received a second degree of Knight in 2014, partly because he planned the succession. Geidt will contact the Prime Minister.
https://expresso.pt/arquivos-express...rainha-morrer-
The excerpt you posted is word for word from an article that was in the Guardian paper March 17, 2017. The only change is Carlos instead of Charles. I know this because I thought it was so interesting that I printed it from their website.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen, 93, to reportedly hand over majority of duties to when she turns 95
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er_dailymailUK
Old 07-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Invoking the Regency Act is not so easy though. The Queen would have to be certified unable to perform her duties based on medical evidence.

In any case, it has been long speculated that , if the Queen did not abdicate, Charles could become regent before becoming King.

PS: As the Regency Acts do not extend to Canada or Australia., The Queen will retain her full royal prerogatives in those realms even if a Regency is set up in the UK.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Invoking the Regency Act is not so easy though. The Queen would have to be certified unable to perform her duties based on medical evidence.

In any case, it has been long speculated that , if the Queen did not abdicate, Charles could become regent before becoming King.

PS: As the Regency Acts do not extend to Canada or Australia., The Queen will retain her full royal prerogatives in those realms even if a Regency is set up in the UK.

If then regency act of UK is not changed. Oh yeah, but this is British parliament so hardly happens in two years.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If the Regency act is evoked the UK would have a 2nd Prince-Regent?

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 07-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Unless there is something going on with Her Majesty's health that we are not aware of, I am extremely skeptical. From a practical perspective, the Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge are already taking over some of her duties, so I expect that will continue, but taking on some of the drudgery is a very different thing than invoking the Regency Act--if that were even possible.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Especially when its on the Daily Mail

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if by the time the Queen reaches 95, she decides to go into semi-retirement most likely at Windsor Castle. After almost 70 years on the throne when that time comes with unwavering dedication, she deserves to slow down, take it easier and smell the stables and the roses more.

I don't believe the Regency Act will be invoked as for the most part, the things that only the monarch can do and cannot be delegated, I believe the Queen will hold onto. Other things like appearances and visits and such, she will continue to relegate to members of her family to represent her. This sort of plan also has the Queen covered if and when she needs or wants to go into mourning. In two years time Philip will be hitting the 100 years old mark.

This is just what makes the most sense to me.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Assuming the Queen is alive for another 10 years, I believe a regency is inevitable. Her Majesty is healthy and very active, but there are inherent limitations to what a person can do at the age of 98 or 100.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

I also wouldn’t be surprised if this happened.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing seems to be consistent and that is that the Queen and the "Firm" are going to be prepared for whatever may come. No one can predict what things will be like two years from now or even next week as we know things can change in the blink of an eye.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Every year we see more and more delegated to younger (relatively speaking) members of the family. I do think The Queen will do what she can as long as she's able.

LaRae
Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

From what I’ve read Queen Victoria spent years ‘in mourning’ for Prince Albert, whereas Queen Elizabeth II still has a very full schedule.
Couldn’t Queen Elizabeth II delegate 90% of what she does now, particularly the public type visits, to her family, and just do what she absolutely must ala Queen Victoria w/out a Regency?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Commoner

We only would need a regency if the Queen couldn't fulfil the basic constitutional elements of the role. So, Opening parliament, reading the government papers, taking audience with the Prime Minister and ambassadors. All the plaque unveiling is a sideshow any member of the Royals can do.

I do think its a mistake to not have the York women working Royals though. The Queen will stop her workload in the next decade, Alexandra too. Anne can't go on forever, by the time she retires the only blood Princess working could be Charlotte. Right now there are 9 working female Royals in total. In 20 years we could be down to three and you can't triple the workload at their current rate.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mey View Post

I do think its a mistake to not have the York women working Royals though. The Queen will stop her workload in the next decade, Alexandra too. Anne can't go on forever, by the time she retires the only blood Princess working could be Charlotte. Right now there are 9 working female Royals in total. In 20 years we could be down to three and you can't triple the workload at their current rate.
Interesting thought.

> The monarchy reshapes ever so often, and I am sure it is a considered decision on the part of Charles and possibly, William, to not involve the York girls in The Firm on an ongoing basis.

> Charles' generation has Camilla, Anne, Sophie, and then there are Catherine and Meghan in the next generation. IMO, you will increasingly see Camilla and Catherine take the "senior" royal lady roles, whilst Anne, Sophie and Meghan will take supporting roles, quite like the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexander currently do.

> Do we need to, in your estimation, always have a certain minimum number of royal ladies, and more specifically blood princesses, on the job?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mey View Post
We only would need a regency if the Queen couldn't fulfil the basic constitutional elements of the role. So, Opening parliament, reading the government papers, taking audience with the Prime Minister and ambassadors. All the plaque unveiling is a sideshow any member of the Royals can do.

There is Camilla, there is Anne, there is Sophie, there is Catherine, there is Meghan... And in the future we will have George's wife, Louis' wife, Charlotte, Archie's wife. Plenty of ladies around, I would say.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There is Camilla, there is Anne, there is Sophie, there is Catherine, there is Meghan... And in the future we will have George's wife, Louis' wife, Charlotte, Archie's wife. Plenty of ladies around, I would say.
But George and Louis's future wives are probably 25-35 years from now. And there is not a guarantee that Archie will be a working royal, so his future wife wouldn't be either.

I think there will come a time when the BRF is shorthanded.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Unlike Princess Anne, Charlotte will always rank above Louis, Archie and James' wives because of the new succession law.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEmpath View Post
Unlike Princess Anne, Charlotte will always rank above Louis, Archie and James' wives because of the new succession law.
Charlotte was always going to rank ahead of Archie & James and their wives.

Even without the change in the succession rules she would have ranked above Louis's wife when he wasn't with his wife.