The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its not a given that Charles will choose to be King George VII y'know. He could very well be King Charles III. We won't know until the time actually comes.

Everything else will also be up to Charles to do at his will and pleasure. No guarantees.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I agree with your second and third levels. But do you put HM The Queen on the same level as William and Kate, seriously?.

Below see my 5 levels (also just my opinion):
level 1 - Queen and Prince Philip
level 2 - Charles, Camilla
level 3 - William and Kate
Level 4 - Senior Royals - Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie, Harry and Meghan
level 5 - Minor Royals - Kents, Gloucesters, Princess Alexandra
Yes I put HM in the same group and William and Kate, of course HM ranks above all but precedence deals with that. I was just saying to me there are 3 groups of royals - Sovereign and direct heirs, senior royals and minor royals.

To me the fact the Queen, Charles and William all have their own independent Households shows they are treated differently from the other royals.

The Queen's Household supports the offices of the other royals and Meghan and Harry are now part of that, treated the same as the Queen's children. Then you have the Queen's cousins.

I don't doubt for a second that HM is grateful to all her family for their work and sees them all equally as "members of the firm" but sheer common sense shows that some of the royal family are treated differently to each other.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
I think Charles will downsize the monarchy.

When Charles becomes King George VII, he should make his son William, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Lord of the Isles immediately.
Is Charles going to take the name of George VII?
Charles will be king at an advanced age and so William will play a very important role at that time, apart from being Prince of Wales.
I also think he will make some changes in the monarchy more especially in the royal family.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Is Charles going to take the name of George VII?
Charles will be king at an advanced age and so William will play a very important role at that time, apart from being Prince of Wales.
I also think he will make some changes in the monarchy more especially in the royal family.
I think he will.

When William becomes Prince of Wales and Lord of the Isles, George and Charlotte will have plenty of work to do.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

The Queen's Household supports the offices of the other royals and Meghan and Harry are now part of that, treated the same as the Queen's children. Then you have the Queen's cousins.
I don't know how much it is about treatment rather than practicality of it all. The fact of the matter is that funding was determined generations ago. Prince of Wales, as Duke of Cornwall, has independent funding and is expected to fund for himself and his family. The Queen funds herself and everyone else. Up til now, this has worked, but Duchy of Cornwall while substantial, wasn't designed to support the PoW and his household along with households for two families. It was made very clear the Queen is chipping in here.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Westfield Bakery, Considering that the Queen is 93 this year and therefore Charles's reign will likely come in the next five or six years, the only work George and Charlotte will be doing at under ten/eleven years old will be their school work.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
I think Charles will downsize the monarchy.

When Charles becomes King George VII, he should make his son William, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Lord of the Isles immediately.
When his father becomes King, William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothsay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Refrew, and Lord of the Isles as the eldest son who is also heir apparent. Only "Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester" need to be specifically created and the new king may wait months to do so, as Edward VII did for the future George V; he may do so right after his mother's funeral and mourning period; or not at all (unlikely).
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes I put HM in the same group and William and Kate, of course HM ranks above all but precedence deals with that. I was just saying to me there are 3 groups of royals - Sovereign and direct heirs, senior royals and minor royals.

To me the fact the Queen, Charles and William all have their own independent Households shows they are treated differently from the other royals.

I don't doubt for a second that HM is grateful to all her family for their work and sees them all equally as "members of the firm" but sheer common sense shows that some of the royal family are treated differently to each other.
I agree with you and also on the part that I bolded. I just wanted to add that, at the moment, William's household is supported by Prince Charles.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm going to blame the omission of Charles and Camilla on my dog. He's got a new toy that squeaks and that distracts me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for pointing out my omission. How could I forget the heir apparent to the throne??? Yeps... the dog did it.

This also applies to the differences between the line of succession and the order of precedence. Got that wrong too didn't I?

BTW: the toy is a flying pink pig. Kind of fitting don't you think?

The world has gone paperless, but somehow the dog still gets blamed.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
The world has gone paperless, but somehow the dog still gets blamed.
IMO she wasn't actually blaming the dog, as you can see from her use of these symbols
Old 04-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
IMO she wasn't actually blaming the dog, as you can see from her use of these symbols
I believe padams2359 was also joking in his response to Osipi and her dog joke.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wow... my dog is taking this thread off topic! That was never my intention. In a lighthearted manner I was actually thanking someone else for correcting mistakes I made in posting and I *do* like it when I stand corrected on something. Adds to the knowledge base for all of us, I think.

We now return to the future of the British monarchy.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Nobility

With baby Archie being untitled and seemingly unlikely to ever be a working royal, will there be enough working royals to go around when William becomes King?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
With baby Archie being untitled and seemingly unlikely to ever be a working royal, will there be enough working royals to go around when William becomes King?
To maintain the current level of representation? No, there won't. There will be a lot fewer appearances to open flower shows and schools, and probably fewer formal patronages. How that will affect the monarchy long term is an interesting question.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I have no clue. I do want to put in my request that in my next lifetime I'll be born as Archie's son.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
To maintain the current level of representation? No, there won't. There will be a lot fewer appearances to open flower shows and schools, and probably fewer formal patronages. How that will affect the monarchy long term is an interesting question.

Because? I did not realize your comment. William has three children, and he may have one more, and in the future he will have grandchildren, and there are still the Dukes of Sussex. They are enough people to work for the monarchy.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Because? I did not realize your comment. William has three children, and he may have one more, and in the future he will have grandchildren, and there are still the Dukes of Sussex. They are enough people to work for the monarchy.
Exactly. William and Harry have split (amid many nonsensical rumors) and a division has been created. William and Kate and family seem to be heading towards maintaining the home front for crown and country and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and family seem to be heading more towards the global aspect of things.

William is preparing to be King when his father dies and has been a king in training for a long time. The Queen has entrusted her father's legacy of the Commonwealth of Nations to Harry. When the Queen ascended the throne, she didn't have the global society we have now. She's savvy enough to know that today's world isn't the same as it was back in 1952.

Charles has gone global. So have his sons. They have the ability to reach millions just by opening a social media account. Incentives are global. Look at the Invictus Games. Look at United for Wildlife. Look at Heads Together.

Working for the monarchy and what it aims to make a difference for has a totally different meaning than what it used to mean back in the 60s with the Queen and her family working for the monarchy.

The monarchy is growing actually and affecting the globe. This is what is going to define the monarchy in the future IMO.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
William is preparing to be King when his father dies and has been a king in training for a long time. The Queen has entrusted her father's legacy of the Commonwealth of Nations to Harry. When the Queen ascended the throne, she didn't have the global society we have now. She's savvy enough to know that today's world isn't the same as it was back in 1952.
William has not been preparing to be King. Charles has been preparing to be King. William is preparing to be Prince of Wales. It just seems odd to me that people keep writing Charles off as if he's just a passing thought. Fact is if he lives to be his mother's age, he'll reign for 22 years. While that's short compared to his mother, he'll be the fourth longest reigning monarch in UK's history.

As for future, yes, at times there could be fewer working royals depending on when people retire and when they start working. However, we also have to consider that maybe fewer royals will be needed. For example, technology advances have made travelling for tours a lot easier. The Queen used to do months long tours. Two week is in the long end for a tour these days.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
William has not been preparing to be King. Charles has been preparing to be King. William is preparing to be Prince of Wales. It just seems odd to me that people keep writing Charles off as if he's just a passing thought. Fact is if he lives to be his mother's age, he'll reign for 22 years. While that's short compared to his mother, he'll be the fourth longest reigning monarch in UK's history.

As for future, yes, at times there could be fewer working royals depending on when people retire and when they start working. However, we also have to consider that maybe fewer royals will be needed. For example, technology advances have made travelling for tours a lot easier. The Queen used to do months long tours. Two week is in the long end for a tour these days.
Oh I'm not writing Charles off one little bit. Its a hands on kind of thing. I just keep remembering William being at Eton and would go over to Windsor Castle for one on one with the Queen as a a young man. He's been king in training for his whole life just as Charles has been. I see so much of Charles in William. The advantage is that Charles is more than ready to be a monarch and with following in Granny's and Dad's footsteps, William will be more than ready too. That is the blessing of the Queen's longevity. Nothing done in haste or without thought but by dipping toes in the pond before diving in and doing a belly flop.

For all we know too, 30 years from now, royal engagements may be done by holographs reaching the entire globe (and Mars) and we'll all have replicators for food and drink at our whims

I've been reading Heinlein too much lately. Sorry.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William has not been preparing to be King.
Actually William has been preparing to be King for years now. He would regularly meet with his grandmother QEII for tea and tutorial while he was at Eton.

https://www.ibtimes.com/queen-elizab...reason-2756247

Quote:
However, the Queen is reportedly very different when it comes to her interactions with Prince William. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Cambridge are very close and often spent time together. In fact, when he was a teenager and was still studying in Eton, the monarch would send for him for weekly private meetings at Windsor Castle where they would open the state boxes together.
Queen Elizabeth II would guide Prince William through the papers. According to royal historian Robert Lacey, it was the prince’s constitutional education.

While Prince Charles is the next monarch, having William spend an afternoon a week with his paternal grandmother for lessons on his future role was a wise decision. Who better to instruct the future King of the UK than the woman who has held the position longer than anyone in English/British history?