The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I’m not sure how Andrew, Anne, or the Wessex are moving into Gloucester or Kent’s territory other than the press is not reporting much on them? Although that’s more on the press than anyone else. They are very active members of the BRF.

How are the Wessex charities and staff organized differently? The Queen supports her other children’s and her cousins’ work because they don’t receive an income like Charles does.
Bold is mine. I think this is a lot of it, very little press. If I didn't read here about all the things Charles's siblings are doing, I'd think they didn't do much either. But they are incredibly active.

I don't think Charles will put his siblings out to pasture. I cannot see, for instance, Charles dismantling his father's Duke of Edinburgh's Award, which Edward is heavily involved in these days.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Nobility

Are Harry and Meghan effectively now minor royals? If so, is this a deliberate downgrading of their status on their part? In comparison, were Andrew & Sarah considered as important/senior as Charles & Diana? And if so, when did they stop being seen as such?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Are Harry and Meghan effectively now minor royals? If so, is this a deliberate downgrading of their status on their part? In comparison, were Andrew & Sarah considered as important/senior as Charles & Diana? And if so, when did they stop being seen as such?
This depends on who you ask, and in the past, there have been some feisty debate on the forum relating to that question. However, I can say that Harry and Meghan (should they remain married) will be the 3rd most featured couple for the royal family after Charles and Camilla and William and Kate. I would say another 20-30 years before they will be moved down by George, Charlotte and Louis, so yes, they are important.

Re: Andrew and Fergie, if my memory serves me, it wasn't until their private antics became public knowledge and then the divorce. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Honestly I don't see how they can be considered anything but senior royals.

LaRae
Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Agree that it depends on who you ask. Personally I think that the Sussexes should be considered as senior royals simply because of the amount of media coverage and reports they have. Minor royals to me would be the York family, Princess Anne, the Wessexes, the Kents, Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra. Some people base their opinions off more technical reasonings, so it does indeed really depend on who you ask since there doesn't seem to be a set in stone definition of what constitutes a "minor royal".

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally I see three level of royals:

Queen and direct heirs - HM (Philip when he is around), Charles, Camilla, William and Kate

Senior Royals - Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie and now Harry and Meghan

Minor Royals - Kents, Gloucester's, Princess Alexandra

But that is just me. I certainly think the Palace is trying to make a clear distinction in Harry and Meghan and how they are treated compared to William and Kate but IMO thats to be expected, treating direct heirs as different to the other royals.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

Queen and direct heirs - HM (Philip when he is around), Charles, Camilla, William and Kate

But that is just me. I certainly think the Palace is trying to make a clear distinction in Harry and Meghan and how they are treated compared to William and Kate but IMO thats to be expected, treating direct heirs as different to the other royals.
It's not just you--I tend to agree.

There is a difference between William and Harry's postions in the Royal Family. But relatively soon, Harry will be in the exact position Anne, Andrew and Edward are now-younger child of the monarch.

The folks you have listed "minor royals" were never the children of the monarch or the heir, just grandchildren of the monarch.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I agree with your second and third levels. But do you put HM The Queen on the same level as William and Kate, seriously?.

Below see my 5 levels (also just my opinion):
level 1 - Queen and Prince Philip
level 2 - Charles, Camilla
level 3 - William and Kate
Level 4 - Senior Royals - Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie, Harry and Meghan
level 5 - Minor Royals - Kents, Gloucesters, Princess Alexandra
Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For me, defining the difference between "senior royal" and "minor royal" falls into different categories for me.

1. The hierarchy of the monarchy. The "major" royals being those in the direct line of succession. The main branch of the House of Windsor. It would include The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, William and Kate and George, Charlotte and Louis. This is shown in the order of precedence when the family gathers for official events.

2. The Firm. The organization of the monarchy that performs duties and service to the people. "Senior" working royals are those that work full time for the "Firm" with the "minor" royals being those that do not work full time.

3. The Extended Royal Family which includes relatives that play no part whatsoever in the workings of the monarchy such as Peter, Zara and their children and Beatrice and Eugenie.

I do believe, however, that when it comes to the "Firm", each and every royal that represents the Queen or works for the betterment of the people are equal spokes in the wheel in the Queen's eyes. Its why she calls it "Team Windsor". All for one and one for all.

So with this in mind, I would classify The Duchess of Sussex and the years ahead of her working full time for the "Firm" as a senior working royal. She, along with Harry and their children will have their status change as time goes by in the hierarchy and the order of precedence as they move further and further away from the main branch of the House of Windsor.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For me, defining the difference between "senior royal" and "minor royal" falls into different categories for me.

1. The hierarchy of the monarchy. The "major" royals being those in the direct line of succession. The main branch of the House of Windsor. It would include The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, William and Kate and George, Charlotte and Louis. This is shown in the order of precedence when the family gathers for official events.

2. The Firm. The organization of the monarchy that performs duties and service to the people. "Senior" working royals are those that work full time for the "Firm" with the "minor" royals being those that do not work full time.

3. The Extended Royal Family which includes relatives that play no part whatsoever in the workings of the monarchy such as Peter, Zara and their children and Beatrice and Eugenie.

I do believe, however, that when it comes to the "Firm", each and every royal that represents the Queen or works for the betterment of the people are equal spokes in the wheel in the Queen's eyes. Its why she calls it "Team Windsor". All for one and one for all.

So with this in mind, I would classify The Duchess of Sussex and the years ahead of her working full time for the "Firm" as a senior working royal. She, along with Harry and their children will have their status change as time goes by in the hierarchy and the order of precedence as they move further and further away from the main branch of the House of Windsor.
So where is Charles and Camilla? they are mission from the main branch.

Order of precedence when the family gathers for official events - the sovereign younger sons are ahead of grandsons.
Order of precedence and line of succession are different.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going to blame the omission of Charles and Camilla on my dog. He's got a new toy that squeaks and that distracts me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for pointing out my omission. How could I forget the heir apparent to the throne??? Yeps... the dog did it.

This also applies to the differences between the line of succession and the order of precedence. Got that wrong too didn't I?

BTW: the toy is a flying pink pig. Kind of fitting don't you think?
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

The order of precedence and seniority are two different things.

Official order of precedence puts the queen's children ahead of her grandchildren. The sovereign/consort, heir/consort, children of the monarch, then grandchildren and so on.

The fact that William comes ahead of his Uncles in the CC shows the emphasis isn't placed upon the official order of precedence.

When it comes speaking about senior vs junior royals, children are left out of the equation. George, Charlotte and Louis will not play a roll until they are adults. And they don't impact the place of other adults as such. This was seen when William and Harry were kids, and this will be seen now.

Andrew and Fergie were the second senior couple after Charles and Diana. This didn't change with his nephews. It only changed when William was an adult and taking on royal duties. And now Harry as well.

Right now we have

The Queen (category of her own, Philip too when not retired)

1. Heir to the throne and in this case heir to the heir and wives
2. children of the queen and Prince Harry/Meghan
3. Gloucesters, Kents, Alexandra

And junior royals being those like the Yorks and Prince Michael/

When Charles is King

Charles and Camilla
1. William and Kate
2. Harry/Meghan
3. his siblings and any members of the Gloucesters/Kents who aren't retired

Andrew and Edward/Sophie, and Anne will continue to work when their brother is king, but they will be down a step. Harry and Meghan will remain at the second tier until George and his siblings are adults to take on roles.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Courtier

I don't think Harry/Meghan/Will/Kate's roles are that much different now that they belong in different levels or categories. Once Will becomes Prince of Wales, sure.

Right now, I would say:

1. The Queen and DoE
2. Charles and Camilla
3. Will/Kate, Harry/Meghan
4. The Queens children

Everyone else, I'd say, would qualify as a minor royal.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think Harry/Meghan/Will/Kate's roles are that much different now that they belong in different levels or categories. Once Will becomes Prince of Wales, sure.

Right now, I would say:

1. The Queen and DoE
2. Charles and Camilla
3. Will/Kate, Harry/Meghan
4. The Queens children

Everyone else, I'd say, would qualify as a minor royal.
That William and Harry are treated differently isnt open to opinion.

There's no better demonstration of this than the Sussexes going of to BP.

Harry and Meghan are worker bees.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
That William and Harry are treated differently isnt open to opinion.

There's no better demonstration of this than the Sussexes going of to BP.

Harry and Meghan are worker bees.
Huh? My point is, their roles are not much different right now and they aren't.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
What do you mean by 'roles' ?

William meets with senior government officials. William conveys meetings of the Duchy of Cornwall. William conducts investitures. William is a member of the privy council. I could go on.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actually their roles are different--for example, William performs investitures, has meetings for the Duchy of Cornwall and does things like shadowing MI6.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Courtier

I didn't come back from a break to argue over something I see as trivial.

Sure, there are certain things Will does as an heir that Harry doesn't do but they are not so major that the two belong on different levels. You don't have to agree but my opinion stands.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Majesty

Harry has performed Investitures and is a Counsellor of State (Privy Council.)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry has performed Investitures and is a Counsellor of State (Privy Council.)
When does Harry perform investitures? I can't find anything in my, admittedly fairly quick, searches. William seems to perform them regularly these days.