The Future of the British Monarchy 1: 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... my dog is taking this thread off topic! That was never my intention. In a lighthearted manner I was actually thanking someone else for correcting mistakes I made in posting and I *do* like it when I stand corrected on something. Adds to the knowledge base for all of us, I think.

We now return to the future of the British monarchy. ?

With baby Archie being untitled and seemingly unlikely to ever be a working royal, will there be enough working royals to go around when William becomes King?

With baby Archie being untitled and seemingly unlikely to ever be a working royal, will there be enough working royals to go around when William becomes King?

To maintain the current level of representation? No, there won't. There will be a lot fewer appearances to open flower shows and schools, and probably fewer formal patronages. How that will affect the monarchy long term is an interesting question.

I have no clue. I do want to put in my request that in my next lifetime I'll be born as Archie's son. :lol:

To maintain the current level of representation? No, there won't. There will be a lot fewer appearances to open flower shows and schools, and probably fewer formal patronages. How that will affect the monarchy long term is an interesting question.

Because? I did not realize your comment. William has three children, and he may have one more, and in the future he will have grandchildren, and there are still the Dukes of Sussex. They are enough people to work for the monarchy.

Because? I did not realize your comment. William has three children, and he may have one more, and in the future he will have grandchildren, and there are still the Dukes of Sussex. They are enough people to work for the monarchy.

Exactly. William and Harry have split (amid many nonsensical rumors) and a division has been created. William and Kate and family seem to be heading towards maintaining the home front for crown and country and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and family seem to be heading more towards the global aspect of things.

William is preparing to be King when his father dies and has been a king in training for a long time. The Queen has entrusted her father's legacy of the Commonwealth of Nations to Harry. When the Queen ascended the throne, she didn't have the global society we have now. She's savvy enough to know that today's world isn't the same as it was back in 1952.

Charles has gone global. So have his sons. They have the ability to reach millions just by opening a social media account. Incentives are global. Look at the Invictus Games. Look at United for Wildlife. Look at Heads Together.

Working for the monarchy and what it aims to make a difference for has a totally different meaning than what it used to mean back in the 60s with the Queen and her family working for the monarchy.

The monarchy is growing actually and affecting the globe. This is what is going to define the monarchy in the future IMO.

William is preparing to be King when his father dies and has been a king in training for a long time. The Queen has entrusted her father's legacy of the Commonwealth of Nations to Harry. When the Queen ascended the throne, she didn't have the global society we have now. She's savvy enough to know that today's world isn't the same as it was back in 1952.

William has not been preparing to be King. Charles has been preparing to be King. William is preparing to be Prince of Wales. It just seems odd to me that people keep writing Charles off as if he's just a passing thought. Fact is if he lives to be his mother's age, he'll reign for 22 years. While that's short compared to his mother, he'll be the fourth longest reigning monarch in UK's history.

As for future, yes, at times there could be fewer working royals depending on when people retire and when they start working. However, we also have to consider that maybe fewer royals will be needed. For example, technology advances have made travelling for tours a lot easier. The Queen used to do months long tours. Two week is in the long end for a tour these days.

Last edited:
William has not been preparing to be King. Charles has been preparing to be King. William is preparing to be Prince of Wales. It just seems odd to me that people keep writing Charles off as if he's just a passing thought. Fact is if he lives to be his mother's age, he'll reign for 22 years. While that's short compared to his mother, he'll be the fourth longest reigning monarch in UK's history.

As for future, yes, at times there could be fewer working royals depending on when people retire and when they start working. However, we also have to consider that maybe fewer royals will be needed. For example, technology advances have made travelling for tours a lot easier. The Queen used to do months long tours. Two week is in the long end for a tour these days.

Oh I'm not writing Charles off one little bit. Its a hands on kind of thing. I just keep remembering William being at Eton and would go over to Windsor Castle for one on one with the Queen as a a young man. He's been king in training for his whole life just as Charles has been. I see so much of Charles in William. The advantage is that Charles is more than ready to be a monarch and with following in Granny's and Dad's footsteps, William will be more than ready too. That is the blessing of the Queen's longevity. Nothing done in haste or without thought but by dipping toes in the pond before diving in and doing a belly flop.

For all we know too, 30 years from now, royal engagements may be done by holographs reaching the entire globe (and Mars) and we'll all have replicators for food and drink at our whims

I've been reading Heinlein too much lately. Sorry. :whistling:

William has not been preparing to be King.
Actually William has been preparing to be King for years now.? He would regularly meet with his grandmother QEII for tea and tutorial while he was at Eton.

https://www.ibtimes.com/queen-elizabeth-desperate-help-prince-william-reason-2756247

However, the Queen is reportedly very different when it comes to her interactions with Prince William. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Cambridge are very close and often spent time together. In fact, when he was a teenager and was still studying in Eton, the monarch would send for him for weekly private meetings at Windsor Castle where they would open the state boxes together.
Queen Elizabeth II would guide Prince William through the papers. According to royal historian Robert Lacey, it was the prince’s constitutional education.

While Prince Charles is the next monarch, having William spend an afternoon a week with his paternal grandmother for lessons on his future role was a wise decision. Who better to instruct the future King of the UK than the woman who has held the position longer than anyone in English/British history?

Last edited:
I did not know where to put this, but I thought maybe this was the most appropriate topic.
A Portuguese newspaper has reported on what will happen when the Queen dies.

Here is an excerpt:
Her eyes will be closed and Carlos will be king. The brothers will kiss your hands. The first official to deal with the news will be Sir Christopher Geidt, the private secretary to Elizabeth II, a former diplomat who received a second degree of Knight in 2014, partly because he planned the succession. Geidt will contact the Prime Minister.
https://expresso.pt/arquivos-expresso/2019-06-18-E-se-a-rainha-morrer-

I did not know where to put this, but I thought maybe this was the most appropriate topic.
A Portuguese newspaper has reported on what will happen when the Queen dies.

Here is an excerpt:
Her eyes will be closed and Carlos will be king. The brothers will kiss your hands. The first official to deal with the news will be Sir Christopher Geidt, the private secretary to Elizabeth II, a former diplomat who received a second degree of Knight in 2014, partly because he planned the succession. Geidt will contact the Prime Minister.
https://expresso.pt/arquivos-expresso/2019-06-18-E-se-a-rainha-morrer-

The excerpt you posted is word for word from an article that was in the Guardian paper March 17, 2017. The only change is Carlos instead of Charles. I know this because I thought it was so interesting that I printed it from their website.

Queen, 93, to reportedly hand over majority of duties to when she turns 95
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...gency-Act.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Invoking the Regency Act is not so easy though. The Queen would have to be certified unable to perform her duties based on medical evidence.

In any case, it has been long speculated that , if the Queen did not abdicate, Charles could become regent before becoming King.

PS: As the Regency Acts do not extend to Canada or Australia., The Queen will retain her full royal prerogatives in those realms even if a Regency is set up in the UK.

Last edited:
Invoking the Regency Act is not so easy though. The Queen would have to be certified unable to perform her duties based on medical evidence.

In any case, it has been long speculated that , if the Queen did not abdicate, Charles could become regent before becoming King.

PS: As the Regency Acts do not extend to Canada or Australia., The Queen will retain her full royal prerogatives in those realms even if a Regency is set up in the UK.

If then regency act of UK is not changed. Oh yeah, but this is British parliament so hardly happens in two years.

If the Regency act is evoked the UK would have a 2nd Prince-Regent?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...gency-Act.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Unless there is something going on with Her Majesty's health that we are not aware of, I am extremely skeptical. From a practical perspective, the Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge are already taking over some of her duties, so I expect that will continue, but taking on some of the drudgery is a very different thing than invoking the Regency Act--if that were even possible.

Especially when its on the Daily Mail ;)

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if by the time the Queen reaches 95, she decides to go into semi-retirement most likely at Windsor Castle. After almost 70 years on the throne when that time comes with unwavering dedication, she deserves to slow down, take it easier and smell the stables and the roses more.

I don't believe the Regency Act will be invoked as for the most part, the things that only the monarch can do and cannot be delegated, I believe the Queen will hold onto. Other things like appearances and visits and such, she will continue to relegate to members of her family to represent her. This sort of plan also has the Queen covered if and when she needs or wants to go into mourning. In two years time Philip will be hitting the 100 years old mark.

This is just what makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:
Assuming the Queen is alive for another 10 years, I believe a regency is inevitable. Her Majesty is healthy and very active, but there are inherent limitations to what a person can do at the age of 98 or 100.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if this happened.

One thing seems to be consistent and that is that the Queen and the "Firm" are going to be prepared for whatever may come. No one can predict what things will be like two years from now or even next week as we know things can change in the blink of an eye.

Every year we see more and more delegated to younger (relatively speaking) members of the family. I do think The Queen will do what she can as long as she's able.

LaRae

From what I’ve read Queen Victoria spent years ‘in mourning’ for Prince Albert, whereas Queen Elizabeth II still has a very full schedule.
Couldn’t Queen Elizabeth II delegate 90% of what she does now, particularly the public type visits, to her family, and just do what she absolutely must ala Queen Victoria w/out a Regency?

We only would need a regency if the Queen couldn't fulfil the basic constitutional elements of the role. So, Opening parliament, reading the government papers, taking audience with the Prime Minister and ambassadors. All the plaque unveiling is a sideshow any member of the Royals can do.

I do think its a mistake to not have the York women working Royals though. The Queen will stop her workload in the next decade, Alexandra too. Anne can't go on forever, by the time she retires the only blood Princess working could be Charlotte. Right now there are 9 working female Royals in total. In 20 years we could be down to three and you can't triple the workload at their current rate.

I do think its a mistake to not have the York women working Royals though. The Queen will stop her workload in the next decade, Alexandra too. Anne can't go on forever, by the time she retires the only blood Princess working could be Charlotte. Right now there are 9 working female Royals in total. In 20 years we could be down to three and you can't triple the workload at their current rate.

Interesting thought.

> The monarchy reshapes ever so often, and I am sure it is a considered decision on the part of Charles and possibly, William, to not involve the York girls in The Firm on an ongoing basis.

> Charles' generation has Camilla, Anne, Sophie, and then there are Catherine and Meghan in the next generation. IMO, you will increasingly see Camilla and Catherine take the "senior" royal lady roles, whilst Anne, Sophie and Meghan will take supporting roles, quite like the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexander currently do.

> Do we need to, in your estimation, always have a certain minimum number of royal ladies, and more specifically blood princesses, on the job?

We only would need a regency if the Queen couldn't fulfil the basic constitutional elements of the role. So, Opening parliament, reading the government papers, taking audience with the Prime Minister and ambassadors. All the plaque unveiling is a sideshow any member of the Royals can do.

There is Camilla, there is Anne, there is Sophie, there is Catherine, there is Meghan... And in the future we will have George's wife, Louis' wife, Charlotte, Archie's wife. Plenty of ladies around, I would say.

There is Camilla, there is Anne, there is Sophie, there is Catherine, there is Meghan... And in the future we will have George's wife, Louis' wife, Charlotte, Archie's wife. Plenty of ladies around, I would say.

But George and Louis's future wives are probably 25-35 years from now. And there is not a guarantee that Archie will be a working royal, so his future wife wouldn't be either.

I think there will come a time when the BRF is shorthanded.

Unlike Princess Anne, Charlotte will always rank above Louis, Archie and James' wives because of the new succession law.

Unlike Princess Anne, Charlotte will always rank above Louis, Archie and James' wives because of the new succession law.

Charlotte was always going to rank ahead of Archie & James and their wives.

Even without the change in the succession rules she would have ranked above Louis's wife when he wasn't with his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom