The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
TThe Queen and her family would walk away with Balmoral & Sandringham, the artwork they privately own, the jewels they privately own, the Queen's private investments, the Queen's horses and the Queen's stamp collection (I think). HM would enjoy the life of a lady in the country, riding horses. AI do wonder how prepared the RF are for this ever happening, the Queen receives £12million+ from the Duchy of Lancaster that goes to her personally and is used to meet a lot of the costs of other royals etc but that still leave a fair amount going to her personally, could the RF cope even privately without this and just the income from Balmoral, Sandringham and private investments? Recently in the Norwegian RF threads it was said King Harald V's fortune was mainly held in trusts set up in case of an "emergency" to provide income independent of the State - maybe QE2 should think of something similar.
Im sure the RF have provision against the day when maybe they have to go...

Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure the RF have provision against the day when maybe they have to go...
Of course they do it is just not advertised as no one business.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Majesty

The former Bavarian royal family stilk receives millions per year from the Bayerische Ausgleichfonds and have rights of use of (parts) of the former royal residences. In many states where the monarchy was ended, prudent arrangements were made. I have no doubt the same will happen in the UK in a similar case.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whilst I think the Queen definitely had built up some savings for such an event, remember when Charles and Diana divorced in 1996 it was widely reported the Queen had to give Charles the money for his divorce.
I wonder if somewhere, well hidden, there is a plan for what would happen if the monarchy was abolished.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:09 PM
Aristocracy

Not sure if this is the right place to post this information.

For Australian people there is another royal special on tonight on ABC at 8.30pm. Entitled "Windsor Inc" the show Four Corners will look at the "sophisticated corporate campaign to future-proof the crown". The show charts how the royals have rebuilt their reputation and changed the way they managed "The Firm".

The new look royals are the result of "one of the most spectacular rebranding exercises in modern times"

Sounds fascinating.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Future of the BRF...I admit i look forward to Charles as king but its for personal reasons and because I feel he has been bullied and mistreated.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts relating to the topic of whether or not the Queen would/will/should abdicate have been moved to the The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement? thread.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The former Bavarian royal family stilk receives millions per year from the Bayerische Ausgleichfonds and have rights of use of (parts) of the former royal residences. In many states where the monarchy was ended, prudent arrangements were made. I have no doubt the same will happen in the UK in a similar case.

In case someone is interested, the Wittelsbacher-Ausgleichfonds at the moment pays 14 Mill. EUR each year to the family, according to the quality paper of Munich, Die Sueddeutsche (Zeitung).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whilst I think the Queen definitely had built up some savings for such an event, remember when Charles and Diana divorced in 1996 it was widely reported the Queen had to give Charles the money for his divorce.
I wonder if somewhere, well hidden, there is a plan for what would happen if the monarchy was abolished.

According to the contract between souverain and parliament about The Crown Estate, the enormous riches of the Crown Estate plus den whole estate of the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall revert back to the personal possession of the former souverain. It is the same like with any historic estate of a titled Briton: it becomes private property again. So getting rid of the monarchy would make the current souverain enormously rich in private while the taxpayer would have to pay for a new head of state from the state's money. A bad move!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

More change coming to the British Monarchy in 2019-
https://mobile.twitter.com/rjmyers/s...30841099141122

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well that's hardly breaking news....aren't we all kinda expecting that to happen as the Queen ages?

LaRae
Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well that's hardly breaking news....aren't we all kinda expecting that to happen as the Queen ages?

LaRae
Yes! It’s just worth noting that more transitional changes are coming for the Windsor’s this year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is interesting or will be interesting to see who takes over what charity.

LaRae
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Given the events celebrating the 50th anniversary of the PoW's investiture, one thing caught my, and other's, attention. Namely that Anne is slated to join Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, and the Sussexes while Andrew and the Wessexes are not.

Now this could end up being the result of busy schedules, but otherwise, could the choice to include Anne and not her brothers mean that Andrew and the Wessexes are due for a reduced role under Charles? Obviously, they'll still be around, with Edward and Sophie focusing on the DoE awards and Andrew supporting his charities but could we see their visibility and presence decreased, specifically compared to Anne who would be in the same child-of-the-former-monarch role.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I said in the other thread where this is being discussed that I personally think that the reasons Andrew and Edward are not yet known to be attending may simply be because of a diary conflict.

I can't imagine Anne would be given a greater role than Edward and Andrew for any particular reason. Yes if she wants to do more than her brothers Charles won't prevent her but I can't see him giving Anne a greater role - for what reason? There are plenty of royal ladies to take up duties - Camilla, Kate & Meghan - just any many as available men.

My point is, whatever we may think about Charles and his relationships with his siblings I think he is professional enough to treat them all as equal in work related matters. Surely people realise he can't just pick and choose which royals are part of his "stream lined" monarchy - he would have to apply the rules fairly - e.g. his wife an sons and their wives as working royals, or those and his siblings and their wives (assuming the situation with Tim stays that he isn't seen as a working royal), or all of those and the Queen's cousins. I can't imagine him picking and choosing those he gets on with against those he may not get on with as much or those who get good PR over those who don't. Anne gets good press now but didn't twenty odd years ago so if the media suddenly talk about Princess Sourpuss again will he drop her from his working royals?

I imagine it will either be all his siblings or none doing public duties.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I can't see him giving Anne a greater role - for what reason? There are plenty of royal ladies to take up duties - Camilla, Kate & Meghan - just any many as available men.
Let's not forget Anne is The Princess Royal.

I agree with I think Prince Charles will include his siblings equally when he is King.

I saw that TV programme last night, Prince, Son and Heir; really good. I think he'll make a very good king.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post
If I remember correctly the Crown "owned" or currently "owns' all the museums, castles and properties, but exchanged their direct control to the government. In exchange for these properties and the income they generate the Queen or King takes a purse for covering their family and upkeep.

Do you think the RF will simply hand over the goods and walk away if the populace rejects the monarchy? I wonder if the Royal Family continued to take the purse without the attendant "work" would that be acceptable? I bet they'd love to take off their shoes and kick back. I think that all the charities that underpin the British nation would continue on and they (the family) would still be around.

What do you think would happen?

The question of ownership is complex and maybe some lawyers here could enlighten us.

The British State actually doesn’t own the palaces or the artwork therein. They are placed in ( public ?) trusts that are held by the monarch for the nation. The Crown, Estate, which is separate from the Occupied Palaces Estate., is not owned by the government either, but is, however, used for commercial purposes and its revenue goes directly to the Treasury with a percentage of the surplus revenue used as the sovereign’s grant.

The status of the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall is somewhat more complicated . Although they have same characteristics that would be typical of public bodies, they are normally considered private trusts.

The kind of settlement the RF would get in the event of the abolition of the monarchy would have a great impact on its personal finances. If the former Sovereign walked away with the Duchies and, even more so, with the Crown Estate, he would be a billionaire. But, even if the King kept only his undisputed private wealth (, Sandrigham, Balmoral, the personal jewel and stamp collections, etc.), he would still be a multimillionaire.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The question of ownership is complex and maybe some lawyers here could enlighten us.

Not so long ago I read a scholarly paper about that question and the authors agreed that if the monarchy ceases to exist, the government needs to divide the Royal assets between the "Body politic" of the wearer of the "Crown" and the "Body natural". "The body natural" of the Queen eg owns Sandringham and Balmoral, "The Body politic" holds the Crown Jewels and the Crown estate "in trust for the nation". But, as the Crown estate is based on the once private belongings of the souverain and there have been several Acts about it, which all agree that the souverain has a private interest in some of the assets, the consent was that the government would give a part of the Crown Estate to the Head of the Windsor family's "Body natural" and another part would fall to the State as the new "Body politic" of the souverain. The recommendation was that the Royal family would get about 25 % of the Crown Estate, while the new "State" would get 75% including eg Windsor Castle but probably not Buckingham Palace, because that was privately bought by George III. after the foundation of the Crown Estate was layed in 1760.

The same with the Crown Jewels which belong to the nation, but the Royal collection would be divided through a new law with the Windsor's getting their share eg all jewels that were meant as private gifts, but considered as gifts to the "Body political" of the members of the Royal family who were gifted with it.

I guess there would be a lot of hackling about who gets what, but in the end I guess the Windsors leave with the assets that can be privately possessed while the State takes those which costs a lot of money to uphold for the public's right to access.

It is agreed by government and the Royal family that the DUchies of Lancaster and Cornwall, though "Royal" duchies, are privately owned estates. The government controls the accounts since 1848, but only to make sure there is no mismanagement of that estate, as they are currently "in trust" for the next souverain and the next Duke of Cornwall. In case of the abolition of the monarchy, these estates would still belong to their current owners, but these could then do with them whatever they wanted.

So in the end, the Windsors would keep a lot of their possessions, but as privately owned and under no govermental control.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Not so long ago I read a scholarly paper about that question and the authors agreed that if the monarchy ceases to exist, the government needs to divide the Royal assets between the "Body politic" of the wearer of the "Crown" and the "Body natural". "The body natural" of the Queen eg owns Sandringham and Balmoral, "The Body politic" holds the Crown Jewels and the Crown estate "in trust for the nation". But, as the Crown estate is based on the once private belongings of the souverain and there have been several Acts about it, which all agree that the souverain has a private interest in some of the assets, the consent was that the government would give a part of the Crown Estate to the Head of the Windsor family's "Body natural" and another part would fall to the State as the new "Body politic" of the souverain. The recommendation was that the Royal family would get about 25 % of the Crown Estate, while the new "State" would get 75% including eg Windsor Castle but probably not Buckingham Palace, because that was privately bought by George III. after the foundation of the Crown Estate was layed in 1760.

The same with the Crown Jewels which belong to the nation, but the Royal collection would be divided through a new law with the Windsor's getting their share eg all jewels that were meant as private gifts, but considered as gifts to the "Body political" of the members of the Royal family who were gifted with it.

I guess there would be a lot of hackling about who gets what, but in the end I guess the Windsors leave with the assets that can be privately possessed while the State takes those which costs a lot of money to uphold for the public's right to access.

It is agreed by government and the Royal family that the DUchies of Lancaster and Cornwall, though "Royal" duchies, are privately owned estates. The government controls the accounts since 1848, but only to make sure there is no mismanagement of that estate, as they are currently "in trust" for the next souverain and the next Duke of Cornwall. In case of the abolition of the monarchy, these estates would still belong to their current owners, but these could then do with them whatever they wanted.

So in the end, the Windsors would keep a lot of their possessions, but as privately owned and under no govermental control.

Thanks, Kataryn, for your thorough explanation, which is more or less what I expected based on common sense. Overall, it sounds like a very good deal for the Windsors if it ever happens.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Nobility

Divergence of William & Harry's royal roles

With the announcement of the upcoming split in the current joint Royal Household of both the Cambridges and Sussexes, along with the relocation of the Sussexes, and questions about a possible splitting of the Royal Foundation, have the riyal roles of the two brothers actually started to diverge?

Surely a new Royal Household will lead to a lot of duplication in existing roles of their staff?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

William is clearly being positioned as the future King with a separate independent household while Harry is being clearly positioned as a royal with lesser status and an office located within BP where the offices of the rest of the lesser/minor royals are located - Andrew, Edward, Anne all have their offices in the set up in BP where Harry's new household are being placed.