The Future of the British Monarchy 1: 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Privileged bubble?

Perhaps not quite the correct adjective ? 'Supportive Bubble' might be more accurate - the Cameraderie and tightly organised 'structure' of both the Royal family and the Military provided that for Sussex ALL his life, and now there will be no structure or discipline [beyond the next Therapy appointment or Yoga Session].

He will be 'all at Sea' in no time.. no matter how 'loving' his Wife...

Well, that is your opinion. We'll see in the future. I believe Harry will find some worthwhile causes, like Invictus, and do charity work for others some of the time.

I would be surprised if he lasted 15 months let alone 15 years. He has spent his entire life in a prevliged bubble and has NO idea how the real world works

Meghan can make a living for herself though. If Harry divorces, I agree he will be in a bit of a loss.

Your point makes me wonder that Harry, as the son of a future king, was in the (unusual-to-most-people) position of having his future life pretty much mapped out for him from birth and had little to do to follow through with that map (maybe only a few years in the military and the usual ceremonial duties afterwards). Then he met Meghan, fell in love (or believed he did) and, within less than two years of marriage, had to give up everything he has ever known and been in life, including quitting his own country and social network to move to a very different culture in North America (no rugby, no cricket, no football, no Army pals, etc.). He probably sees it as the right thing to do to be with his wife and son and make them happy, but it won't be easy on him. And, as you said, he might not be prepared for "real life".

Privileged bubble? Does that include Charles, the Queen, William and the rest of them, or just Harry? And actually, Harry spent ten years in the army, serving with enlisted men and including twice in a war zone in air services. Privileged?

Yes, they are all extraordinarily privileged, and how they partially pay for that privileged position is by service to the Crown and the country, which Harry has now decided he no longer wants to do. So, no, he has no idea what life outside that bubble is really like. He may love it, he may hate it, the benefits of being outside it may well be worthwhile for him, but he absolutely has existed in a bubble of wealth and privilege, and he is now facing some adjustments because life as he knew it, with all its restrictions, absurdities and protections is going to forever change for him.

Yes, they are all extraordinarily privileged, and how they partially pay for that privileged position is by service to the Crown and the country, which Harry has now decided he no longer wants to do. So, no, he has no idea what life outside that bubble is really like. He may love it, he may hate it, the benefits of being outside it may well be worthwhile for him, but he absolutely has existed in a bubble of wealth and privilege, and he is now facing some adjustments because life as he knew it, with all its restrictions, absurdities and protections is going to forever change for him.

Very true. I think that Harry is a far better person than the Duke of Windsor.. who had nothing to do in his post King life and just moaned and idled his life away.. But al the same, Harry has walked out on the life he knew which was guided by the idea that you pay in service for the luxury and wealth and status. He must fee a bit bad about that... even fi it was to protect his wife...
Now, IMO if he is really serious about this being a positive move.. he will find something to do, some worthy cause and work for it quietly. Leave any money making to Meghan if they really need to find money so badly. I Don't think he would be very good at it and I dotn think he' would enjoy it.

The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, both stalwarts for HM, are a bit older and seem to be withdrawing slowly from the regular royal rota, sensible given their ages and health concerns. It amazes me they are still out there, and they have my respect and admiration.

I remember someone asking the Duke of Kent, probably after his stroke, if he ever thought about retiring. I don't remember his exact words but the gist of it was that as long as he was able he wouldn't retire because QEII wasn't retiring. He was raised to duty and service and as you say, is admirable. I suspect that once Charles takes over, he may retire then if his health hasn't made it necessary before that time.

hiya, I don't know where this is the correct place to put this but do you think Charles Coronation is being planned, maybe even Williams. Do you think on a more morbid note they plan for funerals, such as Charles, Camila and the Queens.

If people like Andrew or Princess Anne or even the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael go that they would have some send off and it would be big breaking news

Just a thought on how the press will report on it.

hiya, I don't know where this is the correct place to put this but do you think Charles Coronation is being planned, maybe even Williams. Do you think on a more morbid note they plan for funerals, such as Charles, Camila and the Queens.

When we were at the Tower of London last summer, my husband struck up a conversation with a guide who told him that Charles's coronation had been planned and they already knew exactly which pieces from the Crown Jewels would be needed. (He also said Charles's regnal name was intended to be Albert, which I am a bit skeptical about, but time will tell.)

I've read that the funerals of the older royals are all planned and that the Queen Mother's was used as the starting point for Diana's, since they didn't have a plan for her.

If people like Andrew or Princess Anne or even the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael go that they would have some send off and it would be big breaking news

Just a thought on how the press will report on it.

Hello - Yes Charles' coronation has been completely planned. I expect that a guideline of William's has also been drawn up.
As far as funerals go - every royal down to Princess Alexander's has been drawn up just like most people have in telling their family's their last wishes. A memo from the BBC was released a few years ago about what constitutes breaking news in regard of the royal family - the Death of the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and Prince William will involve a break in regular programming to go to the news desk. The other royals will have a breaking news in the actual news. Except on 24 hr news channel where it will appear as a banner.
I will try to find the article - but I expect other might be faster - of how the BBC will change clothes and sets. They already have the backdrops and such done.

Hello - Yes Charles' coronation has been completely planned. I expect that a guideline of William's has also been drawn up.
As far as funerals go - every royal down to Princess Alexander's has been drawn up just like most people have in telling their family's their last wishes. A memo from the BBC was released a few years ago about what constitutes breaking news in regard of the royal family - the Death of the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and Prince William will involve a break in regular programming to go to the news desk. The other royals will have a breaking news in the actual news. Except on 24 hr news channel where it will appear as a banner.
I will try to find the article - but I expect other might be faster - of how the BBC will change clothes and sets. They already have the backdrops and such done.

I think this is the article: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

I can't see Prince Charles as King. Especially with Camilla. What a ungrateful thing, right after THE Queen, it seems impossible.

I can't see Prince Charles as King. Especially with Camilla. What a ungrateful thing, right after THE Queen, it seems impossible.

I bet they said the same thing after Victoria .
Still life, and Monarchy, goes on ...

it seems impossible.

Its simply the law [over HUNDREDS of years] and ONLY Death can prevent Charles' accession..

Change from the familiar to the new often seems impossible but people get used to it. My mother tells me that people couldn't imagine the young Princess Elizabeth & Prince Philip as a replacement for the hugely popular 'The King & Queen' but they did.

I concede that Charles & Camilla are lower in popularity ratings (especially Camilla) than William & Catherine but once people see Charles in the role, it will probably become 'the norm'. He's unlikely to reach the level of respect & love people have for his mother but who could? The Queen is exceptional & admired worldwide & I doubt anyone will ever match her.

When we were at the Tower of London last summer, my husband struck up a conversation with a guide who told him that Charles's coronation had been planned and they already knew exactly which pieces from the Crown Jewels would be needed. (He also said Charles's regnal name was intended to be Albert, which I am a bit skeptical about, but time will tell.)

I've read that the funerals of the older royals are all planned and that the Queen Mother's was used as the starting point for Diana's, since they didn't have a plan for her.

Oh, I’ve always hoped that Charles would reign as George VII in honor of his grandfather, grandmother and mother, but Albert would be just fine as well for the same reasons. There’s never been an Albert, so I am skeptical..

Actually, it’s very possible...it will happen unless Charles dies or is incapacitated. People who dislike him need to get used to that fact.

Lilyflo:

I concede that Charles & Camilla are lower in popularity ratings (especially Camilla) than William & Catherine but once people see Charles in the role, it will probably become 'the norm'. He's unlikely to reach the level of respect & love people have for his mother but who could? The Queen is exceptional & admired worldwide & I doubt anyone will ever match her.

It’s a good thing for Charles that the monarchy is not a popularity contest. He’s been an exceptional PoW and I believe he’ll be a wonderful king for as long or short as his reign lasts.

Last edited:
Oh, I’ve always hoped that Charles would reign as George VII in honor of his grandfather, grandmother and mother, but Albert would be just fine as well for the same reasons. There’s never been an Albert, so I am skeptical..

There's no way a guide at The Tower of London knows what Charles' regnal name will be. :flowers:

Who do you think will be King after the queen?

There's no way a guide at The Tower of London knows what Charles' regnal name will be. :flowers:

I would agree there, also the coronation jewels, are the same for monarch.
Orb, Sword and crown.

Change from the familiar to the new often seems impossible but people get used to it. My mother tells me that people couldn't imagine the young Princess Elizabeth & Prince Philip as a replacement for the hugely popular 'The King & Queen' but they did.

I think The Queen has been exceptional in her devotion to the monarchy and in the fact that she’s gone so many decades without ever showing even a hint of unprofessional behaviour. Part of her iconic status, though, comes from the length of her reign. Charles won’t be king for nearly as long, and I would say that, based partly on his temperament and partly on the spectacle of his marriage and divorce, he’ll never command the same level of respect and almost awe that his mother does. I think he’ll be a good King, though, and he’s already accomplished a lot as the PoW.

The monarchy has survived since 1066. I don't see it being brought down with recent scandals. What might bring it down is immigration - I saw people who'd immigrated from other countries saying that England was a multicultural country and that it had no real history of its own. It's up on a youtube video. Now if the majority of the country doesn't feel England has any history of any importance they might think the monarchy doesn't have any importance and get rid of it.

But that would be far into the future. And there would have to be a large influx of people who felt no ties to the UK.

Different times...
I will never understand why it would be unthinkable to some to see Charles on the throne! I cannot think of a man more prepared or suitable to be a King than the Prince of Wales. I have recently watched him very closely acting the way he did things, his speeches etc. in Davos and in Jerusalem after that! Those dignitaries who have met him all seemed impressed and had a lot of - genuine -respect (even little Greta Thunberg had a little smile for him which she hardly grants to anyone...:lol:?;))!
Prince Charles for me combines intelligence, humbleness, wit and a big heart for people and the planet in a perfect manner - even if I would not call myself a "Fan" of his. But this man has so many underestimated qualities I will never understand why people cannot see! Still because of his dead ex-wife? For goodness sakes, that´s so long ago she was not an angel, too, at the time and has done her own bit to make it a mess!
Camilla? Well, I have never seen anything wrong doing of this woman in the past 20 years. What could she be blamed for since she got engaged and married? She´does her royal duties in quietness, great loyalty both towards HM as well as her husband, stays very much in the background and is by that a great spouse for the Prince. The only shame is they won´t have much time to show what a great King and Queen they can be the current monarch (luckily! :flowers:) expected to be around for about at least the next 6 or so years! In that regard I also find it quite odd to read or hear about "What happens when the Queen dies?" (the internet or newspapers seem to be obsessed with this morbid question....

Last edited:
I would agree there, also the coronation jewels, are the same for monarch.
Orb, Sword and crown.

Since 1911, British monarchs have been crowned with St Edward's Crown, resuming a tradition previously last seen only at William III's coronation in 1689. St Edward's Crown is distinct from the Imperial State Crown which the Queen wears regularly at the State Opening of Parliament.

Interestingly, there is also a separate Crown of Scotland, which is not part of the English Crown Jewels, but rather of the Honours of Scotland. The Crown of Scotland is on display nowadays at the opening of sessions of the Scottish Parliament, but is never worn by the Queen. The heraldic representation of the Crown of Scotland also appears on the Queen's royal coat of arms in use in Scotland, which differs again from the coat of arms in use in England (the latter with the heraldic representation, I think, of St Edward's Crown).

Last edited:
The Crown of Scotland is on display nowadays at the opening of sessions of the Scottish Parliament, but is never worn by the Queen.

Are there any reasons known, why this is the case?

It reminds me of this story, that the English monarchs were Emperor of India too, but prefered the title King (?)/Queen of England. It was at some time discussed here in the forums - I believe in the Queen Victoria thread...

Why do you put so much meaning to things like coronations, crowns etc. Look at monarchies like the Netherlands or Norway, they don't do that and don't care about this stuff yet the monarchies there remain strong. Majority of the people still see something in this institution so they carry on.

"For everything to stay the same, everything must change"
So it's up to the monarchy's ability to adapt to changes in the socio-political sphere and to respond to the people's needs and desires, to survive.

"For everything to stay the same, everything must change". So it's up to the monarchy's ability to adapt to changes in the socio-political sphere and to respond to the people's needs and desires, to survive.

This is one reason that I truly believe that Charles is more than ready to take on the biggest role of his life as king. Everything he's done over the decades, if examined, points to working tirelessly on issues and causes to benefit the people not only of the UK but globally.

If he tends to his monarchy the way he tends to his gardens, it will ensure that the monarchy is sustainable and prosperous going into future generations.

Charles, although very much a traditionalist, will be more than aware of changes needed to be implemented. If he's worked so tirelessly as a PoW, I can't see him doing any less as a king.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom