The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't see the BRF and the "Firm" drastically changing anything over one member's bad decisions. They just put the problem out to pasture and will most likely continue as they've always done without Andrew around.

Whatever does happen or change won't be because of Andrew but because of the slow transition between monarchs that has been going on for a while here. The "keep calm and carry on" motto would be the way I think they'd all look at things.
I agree, and I think the monarchy is in good hands with Charles and then William. I know Charles isn't popular, but I think he'll make an excellent king - just be glad he's the first born son and not Andrew.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I didnt say they would be thrown out. I just happen to believe Charles and his family will become the main focus of the royal family sooner than we think.
Except for Queen Elizabeth they already are the main focus of the Royal family. Once Queen Elizabeth passes away the others will slowly fade away from the spotlight should they go on working or not.
This talk of streamlining the Royal family to the future monarch, his sons and the heir's children is basically what we see already. With the exception of the Kents and the Gloucesters what we have is the monarch, her children and the children of the heir making the slimming process one that will IMO focus on the future role of the Sussex kids and those of the eventual kids of Charlotte and Louis.
I think we could see the Kents retire once the Queen either have Charles made regent or she passes away and, even though they are younger, I could see the Gloucesters do the same making the working royals left all be descendants of Queen Elizabeth and Anne, Edward & Sophie excepted all belonging to Charles branch of the family.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Charles and his line are already the main focus of the BRF. No one is really allowed to forget.

But if anyone believes that aging Charles and Camilla, the Cambridges and a seemingly ever more reluctant Harry and Meghan are going to be able to carry the tremendously workload of The Firm without A LOT of assistance from some minor Royals, they are going to be proven wrong.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Charles and his line are already the main focus of the BRF. No one is really allowed to forget.

But if anyone believes that aging Charles and Camilla, the Cambridges and a seemingly ever more reluctant Harry and Meghan are going to be able to carry the tremendously workload of The Firm without A LOT of assistance from some minor Royals, they are going to be proven wrong.

I used to think the same too and thought that drafting Beatrice and Eugenie would be eventually necessary, but now I am starting to reconsider my opinion. Basically,

1. The RF can always cut down on their number of engagements and patronages. I don't think that would significantly hurt their popularity if they focused on the essential and on broader, umbrella initiatives.
  2. Edward and Sophie will likely be around for quite some time to relieve William/Kate and Harry/Meghan, even when Anne is aging and Andrew is unfortunately out of the picture.
  3. With some Commonwealth realms probably becoming republics during Charles' or William's reign , there may be fewer Commonwealth tours in the future, although that is already not a major item in the royal agenda as it was for example when Elizabeth II was a young queen, or during her father's reign.
  4. Looking ahead (25-30 years from now), the Cambridge kids (especially George who is the oldest) will start to take up royal duties.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I can see the Kents retiring (officially or semi-officially) when it is Charles who is taking center stage. I don't see a reason for the Gloucesters not to continue what they do now: quietly taking on engagements both in the UK and abroad (once in a while) and slowly decreasing their number of engagements as they age. Anne, Edward and Sophie will imo continue as well. By the time William's children start to perform royal duties they can start slowing down (and yes, I am aware Anne will be rather old by that time but Edward and Sophie not so much and I don't think Anne is going to slow down if Charles is still fully occupied; some sibling rivalry going on ).
Old 11-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

The BRF has taken a hit with Andrew's mess, but the problem is this horror was known by the family for some time. Only Andrew's mess of an interview and swift backlash forced the House of Windsor to take action, or moreso, react. The queen and primarily Charles are calling the shots; William wasn't known to be involved in canning Andrew until after the decision was made. Reading comments online and seeing some commentary, there is a fish rots from the head positions some laying this on the queen.

Bringing in the York princesses sounds like a good idea at first but now House York may be damaged. Beatrice may be tainted thanks to Andrew because he made her his alibi in the interview. The FBI could call her in to corroborate Andrew's story.

I think the queen's Christmas address may have to pick up with issues with the family and be straight with the public. Gone are the days of royal mystic. Let everyone know if there will be a regency with Charles. Then in time let everyone know who is going to do what with clarity. (The Sussexes are not saying they don't want to do the job; they don't want to be at the back and call of a press that has maligned them and they have a right to fight back.)

If royal hierarchy is supposed to be respected then make it clear who calls the shots. William is supposed to take over Andrew's emergency services patronages and fold them into the Cambridges' Royal foundation. I have not seen where the queen and/or Charles signed off on that. These generational rivalries don't help build confidence in stability .
Old 11-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

There was an interview with the Duke of Kent after he came back to work after his stroke. He was asked about retiring and he basically said that he will keep working while the Queen was alive. I expect Princess Alexandra feels the same way.
So, that's two royals less for Charles to worry about, and this if the Queen doesn't outlive them.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I used to think the same too and thought that drafting Beatrice and Eugenie would be eventually necessary, but now I am starting to reconsider my opinion. Basically,

1. The RF can always cut down on their number of engagements and patronages. I don't think that would significantly hurt their popularity if they focused on the essential and on broader, umbrella initiatives.
  2. Edward and Sophie will likely be around for quite some time to relieve William/Kate and Harry/Meghan, even when Anne is aging and Andrew is unfortunately out of the picture.
  3. With some Commonwealth realms probably becoming republics during Charles' or William's reign , there may be fewer Commonwealth tours in the future, although that is already not a major item in the royal agenda as it was for example when Elizabeth II was a young queen, or during her father's reign.
  4. Looking ahead (25-30 years from now), the Cambridge kids (especially George who is the oldest) will start to take up royal duties.
I agree with your post but just wanted to point out that the majority of countries in the commonwealth are already republics. Its really only Australia, Canada and NZ who get annual tours now anyway. If they were to become republics Im not sure the visits would decrease significantly, especially if, in a post Brexit world, the UK is more dependent on trade with these countries.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Commonwealth had a number of tours this year: 18 out of the 53 countries (not including the UK itself of course) which is 32%. That would suggest that the Commonwealth is very much an important part of the royal families duties. I have 321 engagements in Commonwealth countries this year with New Zealand topping the list with 63.

All the working royals other than The Queen, The Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra have visited at least one Commonwealth country this year.