The Family and Lineage of Princess Michael of Kent

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks IluvB very well explained. I found this little bit in Wiki.

"Knights Grand Cross and Knights Commander prefix "Sir", and Dames Grand Cross and Dames Commander prefix "Dame", to their forenames. Wives of Knights may prefix "Lady" to their surnames, but no equivalent privilege exists for husbands of Dames.

I think I know where I had my mix up. They don´t have the prefix to their First names but they have Lady "surname of husband".
On reading that the husbands don´t have any title I remember Dame Margaret
Thatcher´s husband Dennis, saying what I thought at the time was very amusing,"I am the love without name". LOL.

But not to get off the subject, Christine of Kent´s brother is not married to a noblewoman.

If ones father is styled Sir Something that means that he is not noble?

A very simple answer to a very simple question. No, he is not noble.
There are Baronets in England who are the b ottom level of nobility this is a hereditary title, but someone who has been given an honorary KBE is not a noble and most definitely his family isn´t.

Ok,thanks...wanted to know that..didn't know how this title thing "works" in Britain...

Reibnitz family was a noble one from the beginning of 14th century and were made Barons in 1724.

Are the roots of the Reibnitz-family in Bohemia or Silesia? I know that's rather tricky because parts of Silesia once belonged to Bohemia/Austria. I'm always a bit confused about these things and asked myself if Baron Günther Hubertus von Reibnitz was a "German" then or an "Austrian"?

The roots of Reibnitz family are in North Germany near Mecklenburg,but the estates of the Baron were in that region(Silesia and Bohemia)...don't know about other members of that family!

:previous:

Interesting! I didn't know that. Thank you, Marc23. :flowers:

If ones father is styled Sir Something that means that he is not noble?

There are five levels of nobility in Britain - Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount and Baron. These titles are heriditary.

A Baronet is called Sir but is not a noble. His title is heritidary.

A Knight is called Sir but again is not a noble. His title is not heritidary.

However, before people start to jump down my throat, most new titles created in the last 20 years or more, except for those given to royals, have been life peerages or life titles so new ones are not heriditary e.g. the Spencer title will pass down to the Earl's eldest son as that title is an old title but a title created in more recent times is for the recipient only and not for his/her children.

No problem...

Her cousin Baron Karl Gustav von Reibnitz was a Prime-Minister of Mecklenburg-Strelitz state after WW I...her two cousins Barons Georg and Rudolf were also Generals in German Army during German Empire...

Their "Stamm schloss" is called Burg Reibnitz...it dates from 14th century and unfortunately looks like this today:

http://zamki.net.pl/zamki/rybnica/rybnica03.jpg

Coat of Arms of von Reibnitz family:

http://www.artroots.com/brigitte/royal/kent/reibnitzarms.jpg

Here is a heraldic explanation and a brief history of von Reibnitz family and its roots:

"The family's escutcheon - two red bars set in silver - has remained the same since very ancient times. The oldest known presentation of the escutcheon is found on a deed of the Kamenz convent, from the year 1352, now in the Breslau Records Office. It was the seal of the knight Cunad (Conrad) de Ribenicz.
The escutcheon appears next, without crest, on the sarcophagus of Duke Bolko II of Schweidnitz, who died the in the year 1368 and was buried in the convent of Grüssau. It was an honor bestowed only on the first among a prince's retainers, but it is not known for which Reibnitz the escutcheon was presented.
In the 15th century and later the escutcheon appears with crest, consisting of two buffalo horns, of which the front one is red, the rear one silver.

The coat of arms has remained so to the present day, and only the line of Barons, with its elevation in 1724, experienced a change in its coat of arms in that the baronial coronet has been set on the escutcheon, on which two helmets rest. The front uncrowned helmet bears the buffalo horns of the family coat of arms, while the rear crowned helmet bears, in front, a silver eagle's wing with green leaf, and in the rear a red buffalo horn.
In relation to both the brothers Johann Leopold v. Reibnitz and Christoph Friedrich, who were made barons in 1724, Professor Pauli writes in his An Account of the v. Reibnitz Family: The brothers made Barons von Reibnitz wanted no change in their coat of arms, other than that each added to his crest a part of the crest of his mother, the elder the eagle's wing of the Debschütz crest and the younger the horn of the Tschirnhaus crest.”
Finally it is worth mentioning that, according to family tradition, the word "lieb" (beloved) was written between the bars on the coat of arms.
After family tradition, the forebear of the family was said to have used his body to cover his prince in a battle, and thereby to have received two sword wounds. As thanks the prince knighted him and granted him a coat of arms with two red bars and the word "lieb" between them.

This tradition has not been confirmed by historical research, as the word "lieb" is not found on any of the authenticated coats of arms of the family.
Only once was this found on an escutcheon, that of Diprand Reybnicz of the House of Kaubitz , who died on 21 August 1449."

Forgot to add that this knight in question is Konrad von Rybenicz auf Kaubitz whose father,also Konrad von Rybenicz was the first known member of the family born in 1270...

Through her father Günther-Hubertus and von Reibnitz family Marie-Christine is descendant of Burggrafen von Dohna who were one of the most ancient families in German nobility and ancestors of almost all reigning families today...

So,Marie-Christine is related to the Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Michael through her father also...

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc,
It has been most kind of you to provide detailed information on the von Reibnitz family.

Well,I just wanted to share some facts I found about family of Marie-Christine,her roots,ancestors on paternal and on maternal side,family connections,distinguished relations,family castle or "Burg Reibnitz" which is located in today's Poland etc.

I know it's off topic, but in which way is Archduchess Francesca's mother a descendant from Habsburgs?

I know this is off topic but just want to answer MAfan about her ancestry from the Habsburg Emperor,so here is the line to Baroness Francesca Anna Dolores via her mother Fiona:

Rudolf I von Habsburg,Holy Roman Emperor (1218-1291)
I
Archduchess Mathilde von Habsburg (1253-1304)
I
Ludwig IV von Bayern,Holy Roman Emperor (1288-1347)
I
Prince Albrecht von Bayern,Count von Holland (1336-1404)
I
Princess Margaretha von Bayern (1363-1424)
I
Princess Marie de Burgogne (1394-1463)
I
Princess Katharina von Kleve (1417-1479)
I
Princess Marie of Gueldres-Egmond (1433-1463)
I
James III,King of Scotland (1451-1488)
I
James IV,King of Scotland (1473-1513)
I
Lady Janet Stewart (1508-1563)
I
Lady Margaret Fleming,died in 1587
I
Lady Jean Stewart,died in 1593
I
Jean Campbell,died in 1622
I
George Campbell of Airds
I
John Campbell of Airds,died in 1711
I
Alexander Campbell of Airds
I
Donald Campbell of Airds (1704-1775)
I
John Campbell of Airds
I
Sir John Campbell,7th Baronet of Ardnamurchan (1767-1834)
I
Sir John Campbell,8th Baronet of Ardnamurchan (1807-1853)
I
Lieutenant-Colonel Frederick Campbell (1843-1926)
I
Sir Edward Taswell Campbell,Baronet of Airds (1879-1945)
I
Frances Henriette Campbell,born in 1904
I
FIONA FRANCES ELAINE CAMPBELL-WALTER,born in 1932
I
Baroness FRANCECSA ANNA DOLORES VON Thyssen-Bornemisza de Kaszon et Imperfalva,Archduchess of Austria,born in 1958

It is also interesting to note that Francesca descends also from the other branch of Habsburgs,Habsburg-Laufenburg line as well as from the House of Lorraine,a native House of her husband Archduke Karl...

P.S.If the moderators think that my answer doesn't belong here they can place on other thread where they think this belongs-THANKS!

Here is a connection between Baron Günther-Hubertus von Reibnitz,Mare-Christine's father and Queen Elizabeth II...they have both descended from Burggrafen von Donha and Nostitz family...here is a line of Baron Günther-Hubertus von Reibnitz from Dohna family:

Burggraf Heinrich V von Dohna,died in 1429
I
Burggraf Konrad II von Dohna-Tschirnau und Herrnstadt,died in 1486
I
Burggraf Abraham von Dohna-Kraschen,died in 1492
I
Burggraf Heinrich von Dohna-Tschimau,died in 1520
I
Burggräfin Anna von Dohna-Tschimau,lived from 1495-1565
I
Oswald I von Tschammer auf Hünern,lived from 1522-1597
I
Oswald II von Tschammer auf Hünern,lived from 1554-1613
I
Georg Ernst von Tschammer,lived from 1605-1690
I
Friedrich Oswald von Tschammer,lived from 1636-1693
I
Anna Elisabeth von Tschammer,lived from 1673-1707
I
Charlotte Constanze von Studnitz zu Jeroltschütz,lived from 1701-1770
I
Baron Gottfried Dipprand von Reibnitz,lived from 1729-1793
I
Baron Ernst von Reibnitz,lived from 1765-1829
I
Baron Karl von Reibnitz,lived from 1803-1856
I
Baron Ernst von Reibnitz,lived from 1830-1867
I
Baron Hans von Reibnitz,lived from 1856-1918
I
Baron Günther-Hubertus von Reibnitz,lived from 1894-1983
I
Baroness Marie-Christine von Reibnitz,born in 1945

And here is the line of Queen Elizabeth II from the same Burggraf Heinrich V von Dohna:

Burggraf Heinrich V von Dohna,died in 1429
I
Burggraf Heinrich VI von Dohna
I
Burggraf Stanislaus von Dohna,lived from 1433-1505
I
Burggraf Peter von Dohna,lived from 1483-1553
I
Burggraf Achatius von Dohna,lived from 1533-1601
I
Burggraf Christoph von Dohna,lived from 1583-1637
I
Burggraf Friedrich "der Jüngere" von Dohna,lived from 1621-1688
I
Burggraf Alexander von Dohna-Schlobitten,lived from 1661-1728
I
Burggraf Alexander Christoph von Dohna-Schlobitten und Liestenau,lived from 1698-1752
I
Burggräfin Friederike von Dohna-Schlobitten und Liestenau,lived from 1738-1786
I
Duke Friedrich von Schleswig-Holstein-Beck,lived from 1757-1816
I
Duke Wilhelm von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg,lived from 1785-1831
I
King Christian IX of Denmark,lived from 1818-1906
I
Princess Alexandra of Denmark,lived from 1844-1925
I
King George V of Great Britain,lived from 1865-1936
I
King George VI of Great Britain,lived from 1895-1952
I
Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain,born in 1926

Very interesting thread.... I had no idea of Princess Michael of Kent's background. I just assumed she came from some some obscure, yet noble, Continental family.

Very interesting indeed. Impressive lineage and she's a descendant of Catherine de' Medici as well.

Btw, apart from royalty I've read that she's also related to the painter Peter Paul Rubens?

Very interesting thread.... I had no idea of Princess Michael of Kent's background. I just assumed she came from some some obscure, yet noble, Continental family.

This was the connection just through her father...her mothers connection with British Royals is more close one...here is the line of Marie-Christine from the Lobkowicz family that Queen Elizabeth II has also descended from:

Prince Ferdinand August Leopold von Lobkowicz,lived from 1655-1715
I
Prince Georg Christian von Lobkowicz,lived from 1686-1755
I
Prince August Anton von Lobkowicz,lived from 1723-1803
I
Prince Anton Isidor von Lobkowicz,lived from 1773-1819
I
Prince August Longin von Lobkowicz,lived from 1797-1842
I
Princess Hedwig von Lobkowicz,lived from 1829-1852
I
Prince Alfred von Windisch-Graetz,lived from 1851-1927
I
Princess Hedwig von Windisch-Graetz,lived from 1878-1918
I
Countess Marianne Szapary de Muraszombath,Szechyszget at Sapar,lived from 1911-1988
I

Here is the line of Queen Elizabeth II from the same Prince Ferdianad von Lobkowicz:

Prince Ferdinand August Leopold von Lobkowicz,lived from 1655-1715
I
Princess Ludowika Anna Franziska von Lobkowicz,lived from 1683-1750
I
Princess Maria Augusta von Thurn und Taxis,lived from 1706-1756
I
Duke Friedrich II Eugen von Württemberg,lived from 1732-1797
I
Prince Ludwig von Württemberg,lived from 1756-1817
I
Prince Alexander von Württemberg,lived from 1804-1885
I
Duke Franz von Teck,lived from 1837-1900
I
Princess Victoria Mary von Teck,lived from 1867-1953
I
King George VI of Great Britain,lived from 1895-1952
I
Queen Eliazbeth II of Great Britain,born in 1926

Very interesting indeed. Impressive lineage and she's a descendant of Catherine de' Medici as well.

True,here is the line:

Catharina de Medici,Queen of France,lived from 1519-1589
I
Princess Elisabeth de Valois of France,lived from 1545-1568
I
Infanta Catalina Michaela of Spain,lived from 1567-1597
I
Prince Thomaso Francesco of Savoy,lived from 1596-1656
I
Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy-Carignano,lived from 1628-1709
I
Prince Vittorio Amedeo of Savoy-Carignano,lived from 1690-1741
I
Prince Luigi Vittorio of Savoy-Carignano,lived from 1721-1778
I
Princess Gabriella of Savoy-Carignano,lived from 1748-1828
I
Prince Josef Franz von Lobkowicz,lived from 1772-1816
I
Princess Gabrielle von Lobkowicz,lived from 1793-1863
I
Prince Vincenz Karl von Auersperg,lived from 1812-1867
I
Princess Gabrielle von Auersperg,lived from 1855-1933
I
Princess Hedwig von Windisch-Graetz,lived from 1878-1918
I
Countess Marianne Szapary de Muraszombath,Szechyszget at Sapar,lived from 1911-1988
I

Here in this line apart from her descendancy from Catarine de Medici you see most frequent name of Marie-Christine's ancestors and that is Gabrielle,so maybe that's why her daughter is also named Gabriela among other names...

Btw, apart from royalty I've read that she's also related to the painter Peter Paul Rubens?

Yes,she is also a descendant of the famous painter Rubens...here is her line:

Petrus Paulus Rubens,lived from 1577-1640
I
Jonkvrouw Claire Rubens,lived form 1632-1689
I
Isabelle Philippine van Parys,lived from 1660-1718
I
Philippotte Colombe Francoise de Nieukercke,lived from 1684-1768
I
Philippe Joseph Hubert Helman de Termeeren,lived from 1715-1783
I
Rosalie Mathilde Lucie Helman de Termeeren,lived from 1757-1795
I
Baroness Rosalie de Feltz,lived from 1779-1811
I
Count Karl von Grünne-Pinchart,lived from 1808-1884
I
Countess Marianne von Grünne,lived from 1835-1906
I
Count Friedrich Szapary de Muraszombath,Szechyszget at Sapar,lived from 1869-1935
I
I

Thank you so much, Marc23! :flowers: I was always interested in this connection, but I never found any details.

Jean de Yturbe, owner of the Chateau d'Anet, Princess Michael of Kent and
Duchess of Orleans Gersende de Sabran, watch Diane de Poitier's remains
returning to the Chateau d'Anet before being reinterred, on May 29, 2010
in Anet, central France.

King Henri II's mistress Diane de Poitiers died in 1566 at the age of 66 and
was buried in the funeral chapel of her chateau. Her grave was opened
during the French Revolution and her remains were discovered in a mass
grave in 2008.

Impressing event - it looks a bit more like a play with all those costumes.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

What an fascinating scenery. I didn't know that Diane de Poitiers' remains were taken away during the Revolution.
Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower! :flowers:

Through her mother, Princess Michael is a great14-granddaughter of Diane de Poitiers. She has also written a book ("The Serpent and The Moon") about her.

Princess Michael of Kent is a great-great-granddaughter of Diane de Poitiers.

Thank you to both of you for the answers only a minute apart.

Not only she is a descendant of Diane de Poitiers, Henri II's mistress, but she is also of Henri II's wife Catherine... :whistling:

It works that Princess Michael is a descendant from Diane de Poitiers and her husband Louis de Brezé (Grado di parentela) and from Henri II and Catherine (Albero)

That pretty much sums it up, at least on her fathers side. Her mothers family were more distinguished.

Thanks for photos!
It is nice that Princess Michael was invited to attend Madame de Poitier's reburial. I have to say that Princess Michael looked as regal as ever.

Back
Top Bottom