The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

It is not to be doubted that Marianne, the mother of Schnitzel (as Princess Michael was known to some), suffered in her exile. Like with many of the old nobles, she did not realize that times and norms had changed after the wars. She was ambivalent. She knew who she was and where she came from. Sometimes she was adamant with MC, MC had to be the best girl in school, she had to diet, she had to learn this and that. Marianne Rogala-Koczorowski was ambitious but then, sometimes, she snubbed MC for being too pretentious. Fred's affair, the whole saga concerning his girlfriend and the daughter, was unpleasant for them. Very unpleasant. I bet MC still has not much contact with him and his family. That would fit in. I believe she preferred to have contact with her father, old Reibi, who later in life moved back to Germany. Odd bunch.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
II bet MC still has not much contact with him and his family. That would fit in. I believe she preferred to have contact with her father, old Reibi, who later in life moved back to Germany. Odd bunch.
There was press coverage a few years ago of Von Reibnitz privately hosting one of the British royals at I think a car race in Victoria, which seemed to indicate that he is quite accepted. I can't remember whether it was Prince Michael or another royal ... He is totally discreet - does charity work for the disabled, & does consultancy work for the UN on countering poverty.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Aristocracy

Good for him. I know that he and his family were guests at Lord Freddie's wedding. Dunno about the relationship to his sister, though. Years ago, MC wasn't keen on visiting them in Australia. I know a tale that circulated among my circle of friends, which said that her mother was rather disappointed. That's all I can contribute.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Good for him. I know that he and his family were guests at Lord Freddie's wedding. Dunno about the relationship to his sister, though. Years ago, MC wasn't keen on visiting them in Australia. I know a tale that circulated among my circle of friends, which said that her mother was rather disappointed. That's all I can contribute.
Thanks BA - I also think that Lord Freddie's name is also perhaps an indication that MC and her brother were not alienated ...
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

I was always under the impression that PM was very close to her brother. Over the years, in numerous interviews I have read, she has mentioned how she has tried to foster a close relationship between her two children in the hope that they might enjoy the same closeness that she and her brother have. She also said that during the writing of her second book she would fax her brother in Australia constantly so that he could read the text and give her advice on how to improve it.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
She also said that during the writing of her second book she would fax her brother in Australia constantly so that he could read the text and give her advice on how to improve it.
And, as he switched from being an economist/statistician to a second career as a professional editor in recent years, that's a good call!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I've never heard of a Russian ancestor though - maybe one of her ancestors lived or worked in Russia, nothing more.
It is her her grandfather Count Friedrich Szapary von Muraszombat who served as an Austrian Ambassador to Russia before WW I ...

Frigyes Szapáry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for confirming this, Marc23!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Courtier

For those who are interested here is a link for mausoleum of von Reibnitz family in Mistitz(Miejsce Odrzańskie) where one can see graves of some of Marie-Christine's ancestors:

Eksploratorzy • Zobacz w

The other link shows ruined Lohnau(Łany),ancestral home of Marie-Christine's ancestors in the same area:

Eksploratorzy • Zobacz w

Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

I also found picture of Castle Gross-Grauden owned by Marie-Christine's great-grandfather Baron Ernst von Reibnitz:

This is how Castle looks today :-(

Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Elegant,as always!

Can anyone tell me what kind of relationship Marie-Christine has with her elder half-sister Baroness Margarita Maria Elisabeth Agathe Alice von Reibnitz?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Courtier

Some more info about von Reibnitz family:

Traces back it's ancestry from 1271 when the family was first mentioned in an official document...they were Teutonic knights even before 1410...Originated from Burg Reibnitz(only few walls left today) where they hosted Emperor Charles IV(1346-1378) who stayed there for some time...

One part of the family settled in Jutland when Hans Caspar von Reibnitz,who served in Austrian troops in Denmark married Brigitte Brahe of Elvedgaard,niece of famous astronomer Tycho Brahe...

Many members were involved in Silesian wars and some fought on Russian side during Polish uprising in 1831 and were awarded the medal of Notheren St.Anne for bravery and became Generals of Infantry as well as mebers of Russian War Council...

At the beggining of the 18th century von Reibnitz family were large landowners and owned 43 estates most of which were in Silesia...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting family stories Marc23, and quite fascinating too! Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that there was a Tower/Castle named Reibnitz (that's what "burg" means, right?). Could you provide a photo perhaps or at least let me know where it is situated today?!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

This is the first time I managed to get some info on MC's forebears.
Normally, people tend to post about her clothes and hairdo....

Many thanks !
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I had no idea that there was a Tower/Castle named Reibnitz (that's what "burg" means, right?). Could you provide a photo perhaps or at least let me know where it is situated today?!
Although literally means town,burg in German means fortress,castle...Castle of her family was called Burg Reibnitz or Lausepelz and it is situated in part of Silesia which is today part of Poland!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Burg (Ge) / burgh (Eng) / borough (Eng) / bourg (Fr) .... all come from the same root, although the meanings vary a bit.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
This is the first time I managed to get some info on MC's forebears.
Normally, people tend to post about her clothes and hairdo....

Many thanks !
Totally agree with you...I posted some info about her ancestors here in order to find everything in one place in case I forget where I found something about her family history!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I had no idea that there was a Tower/Castle named Reibnitz
Yes,there is and unfortunately this is how it looks today...only few walls left!

so,this is what left of it!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Marc23 for all the good work! That's exactly how I had imagined this castle, must have been something extraordinary though.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Great find indeed, Marc23! What do you think? Did the von Reibnitzes count as German or Austrian? Because I think they referred to themselves as a Silesian noble family and Silesia's history is quite complex as we know. I know a member of a Silesian noble family for example and though they were merely seen as Germans, they've always seen themselves, apart from being Silesian, as Austrian because their family roots can be traced back to Bohemia. I wonder how it is with Princess Michael's paternal family? I'm really rather confused when it comes to such things.

However, here's a picture of her maternal grandmother, Hedwig de Szapary née von Windisch-Graetz, together with her three children. The girl on the right is MC's mother Marianne, the other two are Ladislaus and Gabrielle:

http://oi51.tinypic.com/5xtfr.jpg

And here's a site with portraits of her Windisch-Graetz ancestors as well as a few pictures of Schloss Tachov/Czech Republic in which Marie-Christine von Reibnitz was born:

Kní?ecí rod Windischgrätz? | jizdarna-svetce.cz