The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if Princess Michael of Kent is a descendant of Hungarian famous Countess Elizabeth Bathory,did Princess Michael's ancestors live in Transylvania?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I wonder if Princess Michael of Kent is a descendant of Hungarian famous Countess Elizabeth Bathory,did Princess Michael's ancestors live in Transylvania?
Princess Michael a descendant of the Blood Countess?! I very much doubt it.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Princess Michael a descendant of the Blood Countess?! I very much doubt it.
Yes,but her mother comes from noble Hungarian family Szapary.The countess was married Bathory,so there is a possibility
Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Countess Elizabeth Bathory married Ferenc Nadasdy. It's always exciting to investigate such things, particularly when it comes to Princess Michael's ancestry. I just haven't spotted a connection between these two women yet.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Not sure about that, but at least Princess Michael is a descendant of Eleonore von Schwarzenberg, nicknamed "The Vampire Princess".
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Not sure about that, but at least Princess Michael is a descendant of Eleonore von Schwarzenberg, nicknamed "The Vampire Princess".
Yes,and Queen Elizabeth II is a descendant of her sister Ludowika
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes,they did...she has descended from her grandfather Peter IV Bathory,Duke of Siebenburgen...
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
Yes,they did...she has descended from her grandfather Peter IV Bathory,Duke of Siebenburgen...
Then the most accurate thing to say is that Princess Michael and Elizabeth Bathory have a common ancestor. Interesting info, thank you, Marc23!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Courtier

Yes...and her lineage is also very interesting which most people don't know!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Michael's brother Fred is a low-key chap - a retired civil servant in suburban Australia, he does a lot of charity work for "riding for the disabled". He had a daughter out of wedlock in Australia in about 1978 (with a work colleague who shared his love of horses), and his daughter is a professional photographer. Von Reibnitz is married to a fellow retired civil servant. The story around Sydney was that Princess Michael's mother referred to the work colleague as "just a peasant" at the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Commoner

How interesting. Tell us more, please.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTulip View Post
How interesting. Tell us more, please.
That's all I know other than that the baby's mother's first name is Mary and she still breeds horses in WA. She would be about 60. There is almost no doubt that the daughter would have spent time with her aunt and cousins in England, as she spent time with her father growing up. It would be interesting to see whether she is in any press photos in England.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if MC's mother had ever referred to that woman as 'just a peasant' - that's only hearsay after all , right? - what I know is that Fred's family had serious reasons not to approve that work colleague as a possible bride. I'd consider such a person as inappropriate too, if a member of my own family was involved in such an affair. I don't wish to elaborate, just want to make clear that any possible negative reaction in that case was totally understandable and even justifiable IMO.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I don't know if MC's mother had ever referred to that woman as 'just a peasant' - that's only hearsay after all , right? - what I know is that Fred's family had serious reasons not to approve that work colleague as a possible bride. I'd consider such a person as inappropriate too, if a member of my own family was involved in such an affair. I don't wish to elaborate, just want to make clear that any possible negative reaction in that case was totally understandable and even justifiable IMO.
and how do we know that what you are sayin isn't heresay?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Auntie, this is the opinion I've formed from what I've heard, I'm not stating anything as a straight fact. We don't really know what is going on behind closed doors, do we? I've been saying this over and over again on this board: if people don't like my views or disagree or they're not prepared to read what I write, then they should simply ignore my posts. BTW, Aotearoagal, I didn't write anything contradictory to what you wrote. My main point was that we can't know the exact words of a person we've never met, particularly on a private family matter.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Because I heard it too! Seriously, I always thought that MC's mother was a very down to earth person who didn't care much about titles etc. After the marriage of her daughter with Prince Michael she stayed in her decent house in a suburb of Sydney and rarely visited them in England. Correct me, if I'm wrong. So, frankly, the quote surprises me. The story regarding Marie-Christine's brother and the woman he was involved with, is a complicated matter, IMO. After all, as Aotearoagal pointed out, Fred von Reibnitz and his family live quite low-key in Australia, they're private citizens and I think some things should stay private then.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Because I heard it too! Seriously, I always thought that MC's mother was a very down to earth person who didn't care much about titles etc. After the marriage of her daughter with Prince Michael she stayed in her decent house in a suburb of Sydney and rarely visited them in England. Correct me, if I'm wrong. So, frankly, the quote surprises me. The story regarding Marie-Christine's brother and the woman he was involved with, is a complicated matter, IMO. After all, as Aotearoagal pointed out, Fred von Reibnitz and his family live quite low-key in Australia, they're private citizens and I think some things should stay private then.
I've read that MC has another brother,does anyone know what happened to her second brother?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
Von Reibnitz is married to a fellow retired civil servant.
He is married to Helen,daughter of Sir Bruce Rodda-Williams and Lady Roma Olive Rodda-Williams...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Hearsay - but I have it from a very direct source ...
Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No worries - "Such a person" ? She was a hardworking senior civil servant at the time. She was in a relationship with another (very) senior civil servant, and was hand-building a mudbrick house on her country property. There was no question of getting engaged. btw I have met some of these people.