The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That's great, but it's not Sarah's dress is it. I never said it didn't make sense that Sarah attended either.
Muriel said Catherine doesn't wear a lot of Dior which seemed to me like a need to attend this exhibit, as far as I'm aware neither does Sarah.

Also having Princess Margaret's dress on display, should be another reason Catherine could have gone.
It was Snowdon&Chatto type of events. It wasn't Catherine's type of events. Look at other guests.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Itís a shame Catherine didnít attend this event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Why would you have expected her to attend the event? She does not wear much Dior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
No but she is patron of the V&A. I didn't realise it was a requirement that you have to wear Dior a lot to attend the event, Sarah Chatto definitely doesn't fit that criteria.
I did not suggest that wearing Dior was the criteria for attending, I merely queried if that was what you may be alluding to as the criteria.

Anyways, are you really suggesting that as a Patron of the V&A, she ought to attend every event held there? There are dozens of events, if not more, held every year at the V&A. What about events at the National Portrait Gallery or the Natural History Museum?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,567

Of course Kate can't be expected to attend every event.

But the V&A patronage is new (I believe she is the first royal patron they've had) and this was an especially glittering event.

Kate's appearance would have given so much more publicity! But perhaps she was already committed to the Dundee trip.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,936
I think that should Kate have attended this function, it would have detracted from the Snowdens and the Chattos that were there because their mother's dress was part of the display. It was personal to them.

The right members of the house of Windsor were in attendance as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 19,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
are you really suggesting that as a Patron of the V&A, she ought to attend every event held there?
Where did I suggest she attend every event? I said it was a shame she didn't attend this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Of course Kate can't be expected to attend every event.

But the V&A patronage is new (I believe she is the first royal patron they've had) and this was an especially glittering event.

Kate's appearance would have given so much more publicity! But perhaps she was already committed to the Dundee trip.
Thank you! It's a big exhibit with a royal connection. It would have been a great event, especially as she had attended the V&A opening in Dundee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that should Kate have attended this function, it would have detracted from the Snowdens and the Chattos that were there because their mother's dress was part of the display. It was personal to them.

The right members of the house of Windsor were in attendance as far as I'm concerned.
Don't you mean shouldn't have gone?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,114
Prince Philip did an interview a few years back and he talked about royal patronages. He said everyone is different. He said he has patronages where he meets once a year over a cup of tea and he said he has patronages where they want lots of involvement.

Royal patrons donít make decisions for the organisation. They donít have executive authority to make decisions.

Every patronage has different goals and expectations. Catherineís private secretary was on the board of directors for Charities England, so sheís well versed on how this stuff works.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Don't you mean shouldn't have gone?
Actually, I meant that if Kate had showed up at this event, it would have detracted from the Snowdens and the Chattos being there. The focus would have been on Kate and not on the royal provenance of an article on display which were being viewed by said royal's children.

In other words, it was better for the Snowdens and the Chattos to be there than Kate.

Of course, just my opinion.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, I meant that if Kate had showed up at this event, it would have detracted from the Snowdens and the Chattos being there. The focus would have been on Kate and not on the royal provenance of an article on display which were being viewed by said royal's children.

In other words, it was better for the Snowdens and the Chattos to be there than Kate.

Of course, just my opinion.

Better for whom?

NOT the V&A, and that is the entire point of having a royal patron, to draw attention to the organization and its events.

If Kate had been there, it would have been headlined in all the papers and generated a ton of publicity. That would have increased interest in the exhibit and benefited the museum.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 19,445
Also on display is a replica of the dress Galliano designed for Diana to wear to the 1996 Met Ball. Even more reason for Catherine to go.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:43 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Also on display is a replica of the dress Galliano designed for Diana to wear to the 1996 Met Ball. Even more reason for Catherine to go.
I am sure if she was interested, she would visit the exhibition privately.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 2,482
Are people seriously missing the fact that on the same day Kate was opening a new V&A museum?
Personally, I feel the new museum needs more publicity that the super popular V&A in London or the very popular Dior exhibition. But to each their own.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Are people seriously missing the fact that on the same day Kate was opening a new V&A museum?
Personally, I feel the new museum needs more publicity that the super popular V&A in London or the very popular Dior exhibition. But to each their own.
It does seem a little strange that on the day Kate did a major thing for the V&A in Dundee of all places, she's being criticised for not attending a gala for the same in London. Sure I guess they could have gone but I don't think anyone can't say they weren't drawing attention to her patronage. I don't think the Dior exhibition is going to be in any danger of not attracting visitors.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Ista's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,125
If the V&A in London had wanted to have the Duchess of Cambridge there, I'm sure they would have worked to make that happen. Clearly it wasn't a priority (or perhaps on the radar at all). It may have been felt that Princess Margaret's children were the right people to be there, and that Lady Sarah Chatto and the Earl of Snowdon were their first pick.

I also can't imagine why seeing a replica of a dress that her dead mother in law wore would be so important that she absolutely had to be there, especially when Catherine wears Diana's most famous possession, her engagement ring, on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Better for whom?

NOT the V&A, and that is the entire point of having a royal patron, to draw attention to the organization and its events.

If Kate had been there, it would have been headlined in all the papers and generated a ton of publicity. That would have increased interest in the exhibit and benefited the museum.
But she was attending another V&A event, as the Royal Patron, at the V&A Museum of Design in Aberdeen--546 miles away from London. And then she and William had other events in Aberdeen.
Correction-Dundee, not Aberdeen.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
But she was attending another V&A event, as the Royal Patron, at the V&A Museum of Design in Aberdeen--546 miles away from London. And then she and William had other events in Aberdeen.
They were in Dundee.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Earl and Countess of Snowdon attend a gala dinner celebrating the opening of the 'Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams' exhibition at The V&A on 29 January in London

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1125986288
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1125984870
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1125987329

With Lady Sarah Chatto and Daniel Chatto

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1125984978
Thanks for the update!
It is great to see The Earl and Countess of Snowdon and the Chattos attending the exhibition. One assumes that the Dior collection contains pieces of fine craftsmanship to show Mr John Galliano's genius.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
They were in Dundee.
Sheesh, I knew that. Thanks-not sure why I was thinking about Aberdeen. Anyway, a bit closer to London, but still 483 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 9,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That's great, but it's not Sarah's dress is it. I never said it didn't make sense that Sarah attended either.
Muriel said Catherine doesn't wear a lot of Dior which seemed to me like a need to attend this exhibit, as far as I'm aware neither does Sarah.

Also having Princess Margaret's dress on display, should be another reason Catherine could have gone.
Why would Princess Margaret's dress be another draw for Kate??? Kate never knew the woman. She has no personal connection to her or any real known one to her kids.

She is a patron of not only the London location. She is patron of the V&A, which includes the new location. The grand opening of a brand new location of the museum is far more important event then the opening of an exhibit. One if she has any desire to see the dresses she can see later. I am sure the museum would rather her promote the new museum, get it PR.

Expecting her to fly from Dundee down to London for another event is a bit much. Not like the London event is crucial.


But why has this become a Kate thread. This is NOT a thread about Kate or even about the V&A. Its about the Earl and Countess and their events. Perhaps a debate on whether Kate should have been there or not, should be on Kate's current events thread.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
It does seem a little strange that on the day Kate did a major thing for the V&A in Dundee of all places, she's being criticised for not attending a gala for the same in London. Sure I guess they could have gone but I don't think anyone can't say they weren't drawing attention to her patronage. I don't think the Dior exhibition is going to be in any danger of not attracting visitors.
It wasn't intended to be critical, and you make a good point.

It's just that, if you are having an event, have an EVENT!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 19,445
I just said that it was a shame Catherine wasn't there. That's all.

Looks like a great exhibit, and lovely for David and Sarah to see their mums dress.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
countess of snowdon, david armstrong-jones, earl of snowdon


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earl and Countess of St. Andrews and Family News 1: September 2003- mybags British Royals 261 Today 09:03 AM
Death and Funeral of the 1st Earl of Snowdon: January 13 and 20, 2017 Lumutqueen British Royals 84 04-12-2017 02:51 PM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 7: January-December 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 875 01-01-2014 02:21 PM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 1067 01-05-2013 07:15 PM
Earl and Countess of Ulster and Family News 1: April 2004- H.H British Royals 83 06-05-2012 04:21 PM




Popular Tags
australia belgian book british royal family camilla clothes current events current events thread danish royal family daughters de belgique denmark duchessofcambridge duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of edinburgh earl of wessex england fashion felipe vi forum gordon harry and meghan headship infanta cristina interesting facts interests juan carlos king felipe and queen letizia current events lady louise mountbatten-windsor letizia lineage meghan markle member monaco norwegian royal family patron plantagenets porphyria prince harry prince harry of wales princenapoleon prince peter princess beatrice princess claire princess eugenie princess of belgium public image queen elisabeth queen elizabeth relationship remarriage royal royal ancestry royal ancestry; oscar and sophia royal family royal geneology royal wedding sarah duchess of york savoy saxony state visit tradition van belgiŽ wedding wedding of prince harry windsor castle windy city ww1



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises