The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Yorkshire Post Today:http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/View...icleID=1058994

Duchess proves that love of music has lesson for all ages

THE badge on her jacket said it all: "I love singing".
And yesterday the Duchess of Kent continued to spread her love of music to the children on a deprived Hull estate
"Mrs Kent", as she is known by staff and children, taught music incognito at Wansbeck Primary School, coming to Hull once a week from her home near Oxford for 12 years, before "retiring" at Christmas.
But yesterday she revealed that as well as remaining as school governor, she would continue to teach there on a supply basis, as well as pouring her efforts into her new charity Future Talent.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

DUKE WILL SEE CENTRE
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displ...tentPK=12755404

ROYAL VISITOR
http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/dis...tentPK=12734627

Duke to open Parklands centre
http://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/to...l.cfm?id=14145

Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael and the Duke of Kent watch the mixed double final between Mahesh Bhupathi of India and his teammate Mary Pierce of France and Paul Hanley of Australia and his teammate Tatiana Perebiynis of Ukraine at the 119th Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, 03th July:
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 PM

The Act of Settlement and the Line of Succession

I have two questions:

Recently I discovered when I googled "Prince George, Duke of Kent" that a profile aired on him nearly two years ago, entitled "The Queen's Lost Uncle."

1) I would like to ask if any forum members out there have seen this program and what their impressions of it were. Did you find it credible?

Judging by the synopsis I read on the Internet, the program rehashed many of the allegations already made about the Queen's late uncle; that he was bisexual ( an affair with Noel Coward has been alleged) that he was addicted to drugs in the late twenties, and that he was unfaithful during his marriage.

Regarding his drug addiction, I did find this confirmed in the official biography of Edward VIII written by Paul Ziegler. Given his credentials and his access to the Royal Archives Ziegler is a credible source, and morever he does quote from the then Prince of Wales' correspondence regarding his supervision of his errant brother's rehabilitation.

2) I have recently read on this forum that the present Duke and Duchess of Kent lead separate lives. However, correct me if I'm wrong, they apparently both still reside at St. James's Palace. Do they have separate apartments?

- One post also stated that the Duke and Duchess were soon to divorce. Can anyone provide any links to this story? Or suggest further reading regarding this matter?

- I understand that they are not officially separated, in consideration of the Queen's wishes?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

I have not seen the program but for a while I did follow the history of the British Royal Family very closely. I think the allegations you make about the present Duke of Kent's father - drug use, questionable sexuality - have been substantiated. He was a very hard living man. It is somewhat understandable given the rigid and somewhat repressed upbringing of the children of George V and Mary...a few of those brothers had difficulties. I don't know about the living situation of the current Duke and Duchess. I have read that they are essentially living separate lives. The Duchess (and I think she prefers to be known simply as Katharine/Kate now) has given up all royal duties and until recently was teaching piano lessons -- something at which she is quite gifted. And the issue of them divorcing has surfaced but whether they will go through with it or not I don't know. Much of what I know about this you have already written -- the Duke won't go through with it because of the Queen. And, since the Duchess converted to Catholicism several years ago, I don't know if, from a religious standpoint, she would agree to a divorce or not. Perhaps someone else can fill us in more.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke and Duchess have no plans to divorce, but they agreed to a private separation several years ago. Katherine nows lives in her own flat in London that she purchased with family money, while the Duke continues to live at St. James Palace. The Queen supposedly approved their separation and offered to provide an apartment for the Duchess at Kensington Palace, but she declined.

Why they have not formally divorced is unclear. There was press speculation the Duke wished to divorce, but Katherine did not due to the prohibition in the Catholic Church. Who knows if this is true or not. They definately have gone their separate ways for now.

In any case, Katherine remains HRH and spends most of her free time giving piano lessons, with a very occasional royal duty or two when asked.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

I feel so sorry for the Duchess. She has been through so much trauma. I wonder what drove her and the Duke apart?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Duchess has had terrible health problems since the 1970s, with losing 2 babies and depression (and I heard somewhere she had chronic fatigue syndrome).

I have also heard that the marriage suffered from many of the same royal-non-royal issues that posed a problem for Anne, Princess Margaret, Charles and Andrew. It seems that royal spouses expect the world to revolve around them because they're raised that way.

In the end, though, probably only they know what happened.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

She has had substantial health problems over the years. About ?5 maybe 7 years ago she was diagnosed as having Celiac Disease. Last year an article in the New England Journal of Medicine listed several diseases that can occur whose underlying cause appears to be Celiac Disease and depression and chronic fatigue syndrome are two of those. In light of this, and her relatively recent diagnosis, I am hoping she is doing better. As an aside, one of the leading physicians in the diagnosis of Celiac Disease lived in our town until recently. He was instrumental in helping a store for gluten free goods get started so that he could refer newly diagnosed patients to it. The owner of the store mentioned to me one day that "some member of the Spanish royal family" had been in! I've never found out who it was but have always been curious!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Thank you for your new information Emily. I appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Emily for sharing that information. I did not know the Duchess had Celiac disease and I pray she is doing better.
Your information about a Spanish Royal is highly interesting. We will be sitting here trying to guess who it was!!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Noel & George

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonkman
the program rehashed many of the allegations already made about the Queen's late uncle; that he was bisexual ( an affair with Noel Coward has been alleged)
It is no secret that the late Duke of Kent was bisexual, but the "affair with Noel Coward" seems to have been more wishful thinking on Noel Coward's part.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Courtier

The Duke and Duchess of Kent still live together at Wren House, Kensington Palace. When WH was being renovated last year, they lived in a rented house in London - together. They also purchased a house together in Oxfordshire several years ago. Katharine's flat is for her music students, and she doesn't live there herself. They may not be happily married, but neither seems willing to divorce.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Actually if anyone is interested, there is a wonderful biography on her titled The Ducheess of Kent The Troubled Life of Katharine Worsley by Mary Riddell. It's filled with wonderful pictures and a truly captivating story of her life.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for the information about the biography. I am fascinated that for so many years (at the Wimbledon prizegiving, at royal engagements, in photos by Norman Parkinson) the Duchess of Kent was such a fragile looking beauty -- always immaculately dressed. And yet in recent years she has emerged, for me at least, as more of a "Steel Magnolia". And as for responses to my earlier post -- I feel I only have part of the picture on the Spanish Royals and Celiac Disease -- if anyone has other information I, top, would love to hear it!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Courtier

The Duchess has denied that she still suffers from the disease. She's said she was cured a while back, but I've never been able to find much info on the illness or when/how this cure came about.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Do you mean she was cured of Celiac Disease? I am curious where you read that. I wonder if she is following the diet and so her symptoms are no longer. I have it on completely reliable authority that there is currently no known cure except to stick with the gluten free diet, in which case - depending on the person and how long they have had the disease - many people experience an absence of symptoms. Research is rapidly progressing on a "cure" but to date there is none.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Royal Highness

From what I have read, there is no cure. But if she is following her treatment, her symptoms may have abated or disappeared.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

ummm...what is celiac disease? what are the symptoms?

Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Gluten intolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
ummm...what is celiac disease? what are the symptoms?
Otherwise spelt as 'coeliac': "a digestive disease of the small intestine brought on by contact with dietary gluten".

Gluten is found in most processed wheat products, so for those who have this condition it means no "normal" bread, biscuits, hamburgers, certain breakfast cereals, cakes, pastries, etc etc. They can only eat gluten-free foods, so correct food labelling is very important. These days there is an increasing number of gluten-free foodstuffs available.

Tags
diamond jubilee, duchess of kent, duke of kent, kate middleton, queen elizabeth, royal family