The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 1: October 2003- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just watched that YouTube interview ElsaM posted.:flowers: What a charming lady Katherine is, and what an interesting accent she has.

I hope she is happy with her life, and that she and the Duke get along.

I would assume that the resemblance between the Duke and the PoW comes from their Greek family relationship, more than other relatives.

As they are both descendents of the George I of the Hellenes and Queen Victoria I would assume that there is a great chance of a similar appearance. There are also descendents of George's older sister Queen Alexandra which is probably more the reason why they appear to favour the Greek side (which is really the Danish side) of their ancestry.

George I of the Hellenes - Andrew - Philip - Charles
George I of the Hellenes - Nicholas - Marina - Edward Duke of Kent

Victoria - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Philip - Charles

Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth - Charles
Victoria - Edawrd VII - George V - George Duke of Kent - Edward Duke of Kent
Remember that Edward VII married George I of the Hellenes sister so this is where the descent through both the Danish and the Saxe-Coburg lines come through.

The main point is that for cousins they have at least three common lines of descent back over the last 100 or so years which is one reason for the increase in similar looks between them, I think.

She has a strange accent, it sounds almost French.

Pic 10.6.2009

The Duke of Kent pictured at the private view of the 75th
Grosvenor House Art & Antiques Fair with Alison Vaissiere,
Director of the fair, in London, June 10, 2009

----> Pic

She has a strange accent, it sounds almost French.

That's what I thought, but I haven't been able to find any reason for it. I like to try to find reasons for things that seem odd to me. Maybe it's simply a combination of regional influences.

Pic 21.6.2009

The Duke of Kent, President in Chief, British Racing Drivers' Club,
attends the Grand Prix at Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire,
June 21 2009 - pictured as well: Prince Michael and Bernie
Ecclestone.

------> Pic

HRH Duke of Kent sits on Centre Court during Day Seven of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on June 29, 2009 in London, England.
Jamd

:previous:
The Duke of Kent looks very young and fresh faced. At first glance I didn't think this picture was taken today. :)
Thank you for it. :flowers:

Pics 22.6.+1.7.2009

Laura Robson of Great Britain poses with HRH Duke of Kent
prior to the women's singles first round match against Daniela
Hantuchova of Slovakia on Day One of the Wimbledon Lawn
Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and
Croquet Club on June 22, 2009 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

HRH Duke of Kent looks on from Centre Court on Day Nine of
the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England
Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 1, 2009 in London, England.

** Pic 1 **

Pics 4.7.2009

HRH Duke of Kent ( with actor Ben Stiller and wife) looks on after the men's
doubles final match between Daniel Nestor of Canada and Nenad Zimonjic
of Serbia Bob Bryan of USA and Mike Bryan of USA on Day Twelve of the
Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis
and Croquet Club on July 4, 2009 in London, England.

-----> Pic

Serena Williams of USA receives the Championship trophy from HRH Duke
of Kent after the women's singles final match against Venus Williams of
USA on Day Twelve of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 4, 2009 in London,
England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pic 5.7.2009

Roger Federer of Switzerland receives the trophy from HRH Duke of
Kent after the men's singles final match against Andy Roddick of USA
on Day Thirteen of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 5, 2009 in London,
England. Federer won 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 3-6, 16-14.

------> Pic

At the Serena Williams presentation - why is the British flag being used as a tablecloth?

The Duke of Kent visited GKN Aerospace Services, Ferry Road,
East Cowes, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant
of Isle of Wight (Major General Martin White), Septemer 15,
2009:

---> Pic

The Duke of Kent, Colonel of 1st Battalion The Rifles, leaves Bristol
Cathedral after attending a Thanksgiving and Memorial Service in
honour of eight members of 1st Battalion The Rifles who were killed
while serving in Afghanistan, October 21, 2009.

-----> Pic

The article is quite funny, it shows a pic of Prince Edward and Countess
Sophie, seems they've taken the Duke of Kent as Prince Edward..:D

Here are two real pics of the event:

The Duke of Kent officially opened Birmingham International Airport's new
International Pier on 22 October 2009. To mark the occasion, he was also
given a photograph of his mother, Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, who
opened the Airport’s original Elmdon terminal in 1939.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pics 5.11.2009

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva receives the 2009 Chatham
House Prize from the Duke of Kent at a ceremony held at the Banqueting
House in Central London 5 November 2009.

'President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva is a key driver of stability and
integration in Latin America.' 'The annual Chatham House Prize is
awarded to the statesperson who is deemed by Chatham House
members to have made the most significant contribution to the
improvement of international relations in the previous year.'

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pics 17.11.2009

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent with Red Bull Racing principal
Christian Horner at the Red Bull Racing headquaters in Milton
Keynes on November 17, 2009 in Milton Keynes, England.

** Pic 1 **Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

Duke of Kent pays a visit to Malvern library (From Malvern Gazette)

Staff and users of Malvern Library were delighted to welcome the Duke of Kent today.

The royal arrived at 11.20am and began by speaking to representatives of the Royal British Legion at the newly-renovated war memorial in the library grounds.

History made as masons visited by duke (From Worcester News)

Freemasons in Worcester were honoured yesterday to receive their first visit from their grand master, the Duke of Kent.

Pudsey firm wins royal seal of approval - Horsforth Today

A Pudsey business has the royal seal of approval.

ATB Morley was presented with the Queen's Awards for Enterprise International Trade 2009 by The Duke of Kent when he visited the firm.

Last edited:
Do the Duke and Duchess of Kent not attend any occasions together anymore? Do they have problems in their marriage? It has become very rare to see the Duchess. Just a question.

It appears that the Duke and Duchess lead separate lives but are not divorced.

They do appear at family occassions (they both attended The Lord Frederick Windsor's wedding together even rode in the car together!) and at special occassion like the Trooping of the Colour but that is about it.

If you get an opportunity, you might want to check out The Duchess of Kent by Mary Riddell....it answers some of your questions.

Thank you for the information, Zonk! I was wondering for a long time, that's rather sad... I never heard of this book, thanks a lot for this hint, I surely will have a look for it.

You are welcome!

Not to get off topic because this is the Current Events thread: but it explains how they met, the role of the mothers (the late Duchess of Kent and Mrs. Worsley), her introduction to married life (elements of the Yorks without the cheating and the Waleses - lack of support from the Duke in adjusting to royal life), the loss of her children (miscarriages), her depression and conversion to Catholicism. It also should be noted that it can be perceived as one sided....no one has ever spoken about the Duke of Kent and how he felt about his marriage. So it could be taken with a grain of salt.

Its a shame, because they were one of my favorite couples. I would hope that they would get some type of balance and reconciliation but it doesn't look like it will happen.

You are welcome!

Not to get off topic because this is the Current Events thread: but it explains how they met, the role of the mothers (the late Duchess of Kent and Mrs. Worsley), her introduction to married life (elements of the Yorks without the cheating and the Waleses - lack of support from the Duke in adjusting to royal life), the loss of her children (miscarriages), her depression and conversion to Catholicism. It also should be noted that it can be perceived as one sided....no one has ever spoken about the Duke of Kent and how he felt about his marriage. So it could be taken with a grain of salt.

Its a shame, because they were one of my favorite couples. I would hope that they would get some type of balance and reconciliation but it doesn't look like it will happen.

I am sure that I read at some time that they had asked the Queen for permission to get a divorce and she said no but that they should live their lives the way they are doing now with no expectation on the Duchess to appear in public at all.

They never asked The Queen for permission to divorce. It was reported The Duke asked Katharine for a divorce and she declined, preferring to remain seperated informally.

In 2002, Katharine did ask The Queen for permission to use the style "Katharine, Duchess of Kent" and to relinquish her royal duties, which was granted. She no longer uses HRH as a result, but officially she remains a royal princess by marriage.

Either way its a shame. As I said, they were one of my favorite couples and it appears that at one time they were in love. For whatever reason, they either out grew it, had a different concept of love or could not overcome a bump in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom