The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 2: January 2006-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Gloucester read an excerpt from King George's VJ Day speech during Leiceister Cathedral's online service:

Court Circular 18th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Vice President, Lepra, this morning held a Meeting with Mr Geoffrey Prescott (Chief Executive) via telephone.

The Duchess of Gloucester, President, Royal Alexandra and Albert School, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr Mark Dixon (Headmaster) via telephone.

Court Circular 23rd June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Deputy Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Logistic Corps, this morning held a Meeting with Colonel Jonathan West (Corps Colonel) via telephone.

The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, SeeAbility, this morning held a Meeting with Ms Lisa Hopkins (Chief Executive) via telephone.

Her Royal Highness, Patron, St John’s School, afterwards held a Meeting with Mrs Rowena Cole (Headteacher) via telephone.

Court Circular 25th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Patron, Construction Youth Trust, this morning held a Meeting with Ms Carol Lynch (Chief Executive) via telephone.

The Duchess of Gloucester, President, Princess Helena College, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mrs Sarah Davis (Headteacher) via telephone.

Court Circular 26th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Patron, Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust, this morning held a Meeting with Colonel Michael Vacher (Director) via telephone.

Court Circular 30th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Vice Patron, National Churches Trust, this morning held a Meeting with Mr Luke March (Chairman) via telephone.

The Duchess of Gloucester, Royal Patron, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Association, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr Simon Koe (Chairman) via telephone.

Her Royal Highness, President, Bridewell Royal Hospital, King Edward’s School, Witley, afterwards held a Meeting with Mrs Joanna Wright (Headteacher) via telephone.

Court Circular 1st July:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Patron, the Black Country Living Museum, this morning held a Meeting with Mr Andrew Lovett (Chief Executive) via telephone.

Court Circular 2nd July:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Grand Prior, the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, this morning held a Meeting with Professor Mark Compton (Lord Prior) via telephone.

Court Circular 8th July:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Gloucester, Grand Prior, the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, this morning held a Meeting with Vice Admiral Sir Paul Lambert (Secretary General) via telephone.

Court Circular 9th July:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, Scottish Opera, this morning held a Meeting with Mr Alexander Reedijk (General Director) via telephone.

Her Royal Highness, Patron, Music in Hospitals and Care, afterwards held a Meeting with Ms Barbara Osborne (Chief Executive Officer) via telephone.

Court Circular 12th August:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, Army Families Federation, this afternoon held a Meeting via telephone with Mrs Sara Baade upon relinquishing her appointment as Chief Executive.

Last edited:
The Duke of Gloucester was mentioned in a series of tweets by the Royal Family official Twitter account on #WorldArchitectureDay. The Duke of Gloucester also revealed his three favourite buildings.

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
[Office building] Today is #WorldArchitectureDay!
#DidYouKnow The Duke of Gloucester is a trained architect?
The Duke was a practising architect and elected a member of @RIBA in 1972, before becoming a full-time working member of the Royal Family.
3:39 AM · Oct 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyalFamily
[Seedling] On #WorldArchitectureDay, The Duke is therefore pleased to share his three favourite buildings, starting with @MaggiesCentres Leeds.
The Duke admires what he calls a “special” building supporting people living with cancer, which provides a sanctuary during difficult times.

Replying to @RoyalFamily
[Church] The Duke’s second pick is @Ely_Cathedral, about which HRH says:
“@Ely_Cathedral is a fantastic example of a building that conveys the power of architecture through its sheer size and magnificence.”

Replying to @RoyalFamily
[Strawberry] The Duke’s third and final favourite building is Strawberry Hill House-celebrated as an example of Gothic Revival Architecture.
As Patron of @strawbhillhouse, The Duke says the building provided “an alternative to the accepted classical norm” when it was built in 1747.

Replying to @RoyalFamily
The Duke of Gloucester maintains a keen interest in architecture, and is Patron of many architectural organisations supporting heritage restoration projects.
To find out more about HRH’s work, visit https://royal.uk/the-duke-of-gloucester.
3:41 AM · Oct 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

I am very happy to hear about The Duke of Gloucester's architect career prior to becoming working royal, which a lot people do not know. I really like
Ely Cathedral and Strawberry Hill House, but I'm not sure about Maggie's Centres though. To be honest, I am not a modern art enthusiast :lol:

Well I think there are finer English Cathedrals although Ely is magnificently sited in the flatness of the fens.

C18th Gothik is an acquired taste. Much prefer the Victorian variety.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Gloucester as Patron of Cerebral Palsy Scotland spoke to families supported by Cerebral Palsy Scotland to mark the World Cerebral Palsy Day today, October 6:

** Pic ** video **

The Duke of Gloucester as Patron of the Heritage of London Trust visited the Bromley-by-Bow Centre:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

The Duke of Gloucester as Patron of the museum and the Duchess of Gloucester visited the British Museum in London today, October 20, "to thank staff who contributed to the museum's safe reopening, and to hear how they cared for the collection during lockdown":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

" Watch The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, speak to two families supported by @The_AFF ahead of Armistice Day:

Joanna and her daughter Hinatea

Donohue and his wife Sophia

@The_AFF aims to improve the quality of life for families of serving soldiers around the world."

"The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, Diamond Fund for Choristers, has sent a message to young people supported by the charity in the UK, ahead of Christmas. The Cathedral Music Trust’s @DiamondFund1 helps choristers from all backgrounds pursue training in cathedral music.'

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Gloucester is the Patron of The Children's Society and was featured in the Christingle service for the Church of England today which among other things raises money for TCS. She talked about the important work of TCS and her enjoyment of Christingle.

Her address starts at the 10 minute mark and I'm sure clips will be up later.

It´s interesting to hear that she still kept a slight danish accent after almost half a century in the UK!

I always view her as a lovely unassuming lady, by a twist of fate her life changed. She has served this country with great distinction and humility.

"“Thank you from us both for your public service and dedication to duty, we all owe you a great debt of gratitude.”

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester have written a letter of thanks to @metpoliceuk officers and staff ahead of Christmas.'

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpdOrN4XMAExZ_W?format=jpg&name=large

"Some good news to end the year: We are delighted to announce that HRH The Duke of Gloucester will become co-Patron of the BNBT! HRH is an architect by training and supports many charitable causes related to construction and conservation, in which he remains deeply interested."

The Duchess of Gloucester as Royal Colonel of the 7th Battalion The Rifles had a virtual meeting with the Battalion’s new Commanding Officer and his predecessor today, February 12:

** Pic **

The Duchess of Gloucester as Patron of Prostate Cancer UK takes part in the Prostate UK's MarchTheMonth challenge:

"HRH - supported by her walking partner, The Duke of Gloucester - will complete 11,000 daily steps this month, representing the 11,000 men who die from prostate cancer every year":

** Pic **

Walking for a good cause and fully enjoying the lovely weather and scenery in one go.
Lovely!

A wonderful goal and initiative to bring awareness.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester sent "their best wishes to beneficiaries, volunteers and supporters of the Lord Mayor’s Big Curry Lunch":

** Message **

"The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, compares notes with @ProstateUK supporters and staff on their experiences so far of the charity’s #MarchTheMonth step challenge."

I am always impressed by the Duchess' way of making it seem like there is nowhere she'd better be than where she is - talking to these particular people.

I saw a video of her wedding once - it wasn't in a stately church, the Queen wasn't in attendance and so on. They striked me as a pair that was entering their lives without any intention to do royal duties, yet six weeks later they had to change their course.

Is anyone aware of their early "royal duty" years? They are a blank space to me. Did they encounter any problems, make any considerable missteps or something like this?

The Duke of Gloucester has become Patron of the Imjin70 Group, see here.

„The volunteer-led organisation will commemorate 70 years since the Battle of Imjin River during the Korean War.“

** Tweet **

She always comes across as so friendly and warm in the videos - you can still here her Danish accent even after all these years

I met her once very briefly at a tennis tournament - her passion for tennis is great and I love the fact she attends as much as she can to support British tennis stars

The Duchess of Gloucester as Patron of Prostate Cancer UK takes part in the Prostate UK's MarchTheMonth challenge:

"HRH - supported by her walking partner, The Duke of Gloucester - will complete 11,000 daily steps this month, representing the 11,000 men who die from prostate cancer every year"

The Duchess of Gloucester together with the Duke of Gloucester has completed the 11,000 steps a day challenge:

My husband and I have thoroughly enjoyed taking part in
@ProstateUK
’s #MarchTheMonth step challenge, which comes to an end today.

Congratulations to everyone who has walked in recognition of
@ProstateUK
during March.

I hope you are putting your feet up tonight!

- Birgitte

Some new photos of the couple were released as well:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

7th
COURT CIRCULAR
Kensington Palace
The Duchess of Gloucester, Patron, Parkinson’s UK, this morning held a Meeting with Mr Michael Tindall (Patron, Cure Parkinson’s) via video link.

It would have been an interesting conversation I am sure - either before or after the official side of things as I suspect some discussion about baby Lucas may have occurred.

Lovely to see Mike doing things like this (and yes I checked that it is that Mike Tindall - come across an article about an event involving Mike and 'fellow Rugby star').

I don't include Mike in my regular CC count as he isn't a working royal ... but I may put this in as a 'note' for future reference.

Some coverage of this event in the media - https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...arkinsons-father-philip-zara-tindall-children

which is a rarity for engagements involving the Duchess (sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom