The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 2: January 2006-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
Richard_zpsb422bc59.png
Birgitte_zpsa77a9dda.png

Arms of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester

Welcome to The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester's
Current Events, Part Two

Commencing January 14, 2006

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Later this month Christies will be holding a sale of about 800 items belonging to the Duke of Gloucester. They're being sold to pay death duties which were due when the old Duke died in 1974 but were deferred until the death of the Duchess, which occurred last year. The items range in estimated value from less than $100 to over $100,000.

http://www.christies.com/promos/jan06/7300/overview.asp

Does anyone know how much Death Duty was due for the Duke? Also, aren't there any death duties for the Duchess, Princess Alice?

Thanks Elspeth for the link.

Lots of silver spoons and christening gifts with lots of furniture but no jewels. :(

I wonder at Queen Mary's habit of giving her quite young grandsons, antique sliver spoons and serving dishes. A little boy is not going to be interested in that and as the second son of the Duke, I can hardly imagine anyone would have expected him to be able to use half the things later anyway.

Some antique hunter is going to be very happy. BTW I noticed that the British auctions don't distinguish between sterling silver and silverplate. If all of this silver is sterling, its severely underpriced.

ysbel said:
Some antique hunter is going to be very happy. BTW I noticed that the British auctions don't distinguish between sterling silver and silverplate. If all of this silver is sterling, its severely underpriced.

I think alot of high profile auctions do underprice some of their lots to gather interest in the items, it happened famously with the auction of Jacqueline Kennedy's estate.

Are the glorious gloucester alright at the moment ? i see they have cancelled several enagagements this year and have only been seen offiicially once or twice this year, i usually see them in local shops on ken church street but i havent seen them at all this year and the rest of the royal family are in full swing ( engagements wise) by now. i do hope all is ok

Now you come to mention it, I did wonder why they've been so absent from the list of royal engagements the last month or two. As you say, I hope they're OK; I'm sure we'll hear in due course if there's anything going on with them.

Saw in Majesty that the Gloucester auction at Christie's raked in over £5,000000. Apparently every item went for far more than it was worth due to the Royal connection. One silver rose bowel estimated at between £2,000-3,000 went for £26,000 so that gives you an idea of the scale of the profit that's been made after the death duties are settled.

I popped in and watched a bit of the auction and i must say out of about 40 lots i saw only 2 were unsold and most went 20-50% above catalogue price. i do hope the jewels aren't next.

It must have been a significant savings for the Duke to have had the death duties deferred for so long. Surely the death duties would have risen enormously over the past 30 years?

Well, if the auction raised several million pounds, it must have covered the estate tax.

The Duke of Gloucester (R) talks to Sir Stirling Moss, near his his 1954 Jaguar D Type, one of 80 historic British-built motor vehicles, outside Buckingham Palace in London 22 April 2006. The classic motors were exhibited in honour of the Queen Elizabeth II's birthday, which she celebrated 21 April with a walkabout in Windsor which attracted crowds of 20,000 people and a private dinner at Kew Palace with her family which featured a spectacular fireworks display.

from ANP-AFP

The Gloucesters are out and about (at least at Windsor) in full force. At the Queen's 80th Birthday Service the Duke and Duchess, Earl and Countess of Ulster and Lady Rose Windsor are identifiable from the pics.

From the Queen's 80th Birthday thread; thanks to HMQEII for the pics.

The Countess of Ulster behind Camilla/William;

In this one The Duke of Gloucester, Lady Rose and the Earl & Countess of Ulster are between Charles's shoulder on the left across to William's on the right;

And the Gloucester Five are in the bloc ranging from behind Camilla and across to Lady Gabriella Windsor.

I don't see Lady Davina and her husband in that photo, Warren. Where are they?

Where's the Duchess?

She's the one in the pale blue coat and hat, standing in front of the Earl of Ulster and Lady Rose.

Does anyone know why HRH is now using a walking stick? He was in a wheelchair last week but has now used the stick twice in public.

BeatrixFan said:
Does anyone know why HRH is now using a walking stick? He was in a wheelchair last week but has now used the stick twice in public.

HRH broke his leg recently in a motorcycle accident. :(

CEREMONY: A right royal opening for new school
PETERBOROUGH's newest school has been officially opened by The Duke of Gloucester.
His Royal Highness arrived at Hampton Vale Primary School yesterday to a stunning reception by the pupils, who sang three songs to mark the visit.

The Duke tapped his foot as pupils rolled out the songs, We Are The World, a rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by the school choir and a stunning version of Chuck Berry's Johnny Be Good, performed by the school band – complete with guitar solo by 11-year-old Ben Hunt.

Hampton Vale is Peterborough's newest primary school, opening last year after an investment of £2.2 million shared by Peterborough City Council and developers the O & H Group, landowners of Hampton.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/viewarticle2.aspx?sectionid=845&ArticleID=1272724

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 7,536
Does anyone have any photos of HRH The Duchess of Gloucester's 60th Birthday Party? If so, could you post.

Duchess of Gloucester gives a trophy to:

Former Wimbledon Champion Martina Navratilova
Former Wimbledon Champion Billie Jean King

from getty

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 818
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
I'm glad to see the Gloucesters out more. The Duchess has a very attractive down to earth quality. Her clothing is simple yet elegant.

TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were down in our part of the world this week. They represented Her Majesty at the funeral of His (late) Majesty, King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV of Tonga which was held on Tuesday 19th September, 2006. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Their Royal Highnesses during the telecast by TVNZ.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of that, LOSSEAN:

"Caption: NUKU'ALOFA, TONGA - SEPTEMBER 19: The Duke (C) and Duchess (R) of Gloucester deliver a wreath for the tomb of the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV at his state funeral on September 19, 2006 in Nuku'alofa, Tonga. King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV died on September 10, 2006 after a long illness. He was 88 and had been ruler of Tonga since the death of his mother in 1965. Crown Prince Tupouto'a has taken over the king's duties.

4h0o96w.jpg

(Photo by Simon Baker-Pool/Getty Images)

Thank you so much Iceflower. You are a godsend! I was hoping that someone would post a picture.
I wonder if they would do a detour to NZ to visit their daughter the Lady Davina Lewis.

The Gloucesters

Its so great to see them despite the sad occassion. They are truly one of my favorite royals.

Does Davinia live in NZ...I thought they were based in England.

That was very sweet, LOSSEAN :flowers:

Here are the newest pics:
Caption: "The Duke of Gloucester attends activities at a "Punk Science Show" and exhibition in Buckingham Palace to mark the importance of British Science Day October 24, 2006 in London, England."

(Photos by Pool.Anwar Hussein Collection/Getty Images)

The School is called Prince William School - I assume that it's named after the Duke's brother, hence his visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom