The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

On January 25, the Duke of Gloucester opened the newly restored Old Palace at The King's School in Ely, Cambridgeshire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** cambridge-news.co.uk: New beginning for school in old palace **

** elystandard.co.uk: GALLERY: Duke of Gloucester officially opens new chapter on Ely’s Old Palace **

Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

He looks awful...

Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

He looks like he's had the flu and got caught in the wind. Kind of pale and disheveled.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
He looks like he's had the flu and got caught in the wind. Kind of pale and disheveled.
He always has the tousled look. Look like he just remembered he had to be somewhere and just ran out the door.

He is one of my favorites. Hardworking and always genuine and friendly.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

He does look somewhat rumpled, doesn't he? Almost like an absentminded professor.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

The Duke of Gloucester visited Worcestershire on March 12 to open the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre at St. John's Campus, the University of Worcester and to unveil the Walenty Pytel Sculpture (the Buzzards Statue) to celebrate HM's Diamond Jubilee in Rosebank Gardens, Malvern.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** worcesterstandard.co.uk: Duke opens new centre **

** The Duke Of Gloucester visit to the University Of Worcester 12/03/2013 **

** worcester.ac.uk: HRH The Duke of Gloucester Opens University Study and Guidance Centre **

** worcesternews.co.uk: Duke of Gloucester gives Worcestershire landmarks royal approval **
Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Courtier

I really appreciate the work done by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester..
But, on a lighter note, I long to see an event,which the Duke attends,that draws atleast 10 people..
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Would you bother to take the off work to see the Duke Of Gloucester? The Duchess? On a cold, rainy day?

I am asking sincerely, because I wonder how many of us would take the time. Would you keep your kids out of school to see them pull a cord on some draped plaque in a facility that has been open a year, waiting for some royal to come and make a visit?

I would, but more because I think their work needs to be honored than because I think a lot of the appearances that make are very appealing.
What would you do?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Hey..I didnt even think that much, I just passed off a casual remark...
Just in a lighter vein. I always notice in Duke of Gloucester's events, since I saw in in The Monarchy at Work documentary. He was going on a train, then walking on a footpath, accompanied by just 1 aide. The he unveiled some plaque, with exactly 4 people around him..This amused me, actuallt felt sorry for him..
I do not have any idea how/who organises all these events and all..
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I really appreciate the work done by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester..
But, on a lighter note, I long to see an event,which the Duke attends,that draws atleast 10 people..
Perhaps when Richard III is buried in whatever location is chosen, the Duke will attend. King Richard was Duke of Gloucester before king and the Duke is a patron of the Richard III Society, so more than likely he will appear at the service which I'm sure will attract more than 10 people due to the high coverage there's been in the media.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess will represent the Queen at the inauguration ceremony for the new Pope.

Details
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

The Duchess of Gloucester as Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Fan Makers received a fan for Queen Elizabeth from representatives of the Worshipful Company of Fanmakers at Kensington Palace on March 21, 2013.

** Pic **
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

A picture of the Duke and Duchess at the enthronement of Pope Francis

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fW7Zozt_B5...s400/Glouc.jpg

Courtesy Royal ORder of SArtorial Splendour

" morning coat for him and a day dress for her, but adding in some medals and orders (the Royal Victorian Order, the Diamond Jubilee Medal, and a rare daywear sighting of the Royal Family ORder for the Duchess"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

Patrick, you say he looks awful. He looks like a typical gent in his late sixties to me.
He's always attractive to me, though, because they broke the mold when they made him.
Not the dreamboat like his brother William, who died at thirty, just a month after Richard's wedding to Birgitta. Not a sinister fop like some of the lesser (very lesser) nobility of Europe. Just a guy who was supposed to be an architect and suddenly became the Duke of Gloucester, with all the responsibilities of paying for that estate. He got married at a small country church, although many members of the RF were present, including Prince Charles and Princess Margaret. He had three attractive children. His is THE fairytale life of the royals to me, although there must be a few more of somewhat lesser known folks...maybe George, son of the Duke of Kent, who leads a quiet family life in Cambridge, with his children the stars in his crown? Well, he wouldn't recognize me as anybody, so why do I like him? Because he seems to be a hardworking decent man, with a sense of panache nevertheless, and a very attractive wife even in her sixties. He's what royalty ought to be if it's worth its salt.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Courtier

Ohh.enough of his personality-assessment..
I respect him only because he has got the hottest-royal ever as his son... I would do anything to become the mistress..(of son, not dad..)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Ohh.enough of his personality-assessment..
I respect him only because he has got the hottest-royal ever as his son... I would do anything to become the mistress..(of son, not dad..)
You respect a guy because his son is good looking? LOL!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess are two of my favourite British royals - they arr so hard working for the Queen and lead simple quiet lives out of the spotlight without scandal. I'm sure the Queen is grateful to have them and their discretion. The Duchess is always so elegant and very royal like on engagements. Their children and grandchildren seem so grounded and lead their own lives and careers. I remember seeing the Duchess at various tennis matches ive attended at wimbledon - she was so lovely and gracious

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Patrick, you say he looks awful. He looks like a typical gent in his late sixties to me.
He's always attractive to me, though, because they broke the mold when they made him.
Not the dreamboat like his brother William, who died at thirty, just a month after Richard's wedding to Birgitta. Not a sinister fop like some of the lesser (very lesser) nobility of Europe. Just a guy who was supposed to be an architect and suddenly became the Duke of Gloucester, with all the responsibilities of paying for that estate. He got married at a small country church, although many members of the RF were present, including Prince Charles and Princess Margaret. He had three attractive children. His is THE fairytale life of the royals to me, although there must be a few more of somewhat lesser known folks...maybe George, son of the Duke of Kent, who leads a quiet family life in Cambridge, with his children the stars in his crown? Well, he wouldn't recognize me as anybody, so why do I like him? Because he seems to be a hardworking decent man, with a sense of panache nevertheless, and a very attractive wife even in her sixties. He's what royalty ought to be if it's worth its salt.
Hear, hear....wonderful sentiments in your comment.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I cant find Patrick's post but I feel that I'm not missing out

Thank you Mariel for a great post which sums up my feelings for these 2. Not only pressed into royal duties unexpectedly, but in sorrow at the loss of a brother. And also to take up the burden of running an estate/household as cash disappeared. These are not wealthy royals, but royals who had to struggle to pay death duties, rent out their home and still do their duty. Good for them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Yesterday, March 27, the Duchess of Gloucester visited Cambridgeshire to attend a turf cutting ceremony and reception at Thorpe Hall Hospice, Longthorpe, Peterborough. She also visited the Papworth Trust in Peterborough.

** itv.com video: Hospice fund-raising campaign is launched **

Tags
duchess of gloucester, duke of gloucester, prince richard, prince william, prince william of gloucester