The Court Circular

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
Each day (except Sunday) Buckingham Palace publishes the Court Circular, this list all the OFFICIAL engagements carried out by The Queen and The Royal Family, it also gives events at which The Queen is represented (e.g. memorial services).

The Court Circular is published by The Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Scotsman and is available online at www.royal.gov.uk

The Court Circular is very formal and correct, married ladies are described as Mrs. John Smith and "The Queen was subsequently entertained to luncheon". Therefore I though it would be interesting to discuss the content of the Court Circular each day and the manner in which events are listed (not a discussion of actual events, these are in the respective current events threads), and the way it is written.

The Court Circular provides a fascinating insight into the life of the Royal Family.

Also for reference a full archive from the start until 1985 is available in the Times archive and an archive back to 1997 is available on the Royal Website.

The most recent Court Circular published was on the 25th July, it is interesting because it is the first time (which I have noticed) when The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay have been listed as residing at "The Palace of Holyroodhouse", normally only The Queen's residence changes according to where she is with everyone else having a static base.

Also for the first time Prince William is listed under his own entry, normally he is included under the Clarence House entry. His residence is listed as "St. James's Palace".

Here is a link to the text of the CC at The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article6726754.ece

I thought this entry and this entry are interesting, as they make several errors. The first and second one both state that the Royal York Hotel is in Mississauga (which is where the airport is, but the hotel is in Toronto proper). The first one also says that the National Trade Centre is in Mississauga (it's also in Toronto). In fact, the only things the Queen did in Mississauga were arrive and depart at the airport and drive through on her way to and from Oakville and Hamilton. The second one says that Massey College and the Metro Toronto Convention Centre are in Oakville, when they're really in Toronto as well. The Queen did visit Oakville that day, but the Duke didn't accompany her.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with any other areas the Queen has been to, so I don't know if that's a one-time thing or a regular occurrence.

Last edited:
:previous:
These locations are supplied by the State being visited, therefore I'm pretty sure the mistake (if it is one) was made by the Office of the Governor rather than Buckingham Palace:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I suppose that losing the election the next year was a suitable punishment for Premier Eves, then! :ROFLMAO: (Massey College would be the most surprising, then, as it's very close to the provincial legislature.)

Well, I suppose that losing the election the next year was a suitable punishment for Premier Eves, then! :ROFLMAO: (Massey College would be the most surprising, then, as it's very close to the provincial legislature.)

I was thinking the Lieutenant Governor's Office, rather than the provincial premier!

The most recent Court Circular published was on the 25th July, it is interesting because it is the first time (which I have noticed) when The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay have been listed as residing at "The Palace of Holyroodhouse",

Here is a link to the text of the CC at The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article6726754.ece
They are not listed as residing at Holyroodhouse, but as having received and entertained there. :flowers:

They are not listed as residing at Holyroodhouse, but as having received and entertained there. :flowers:

The CC gives the place of current residence in the case of The Queen, I'm quite sure in this case it was stating the Charles and Camilla were that night residing in Holyroodhouse.

Normally they are listed under Clarence House, regardless as whether their really in Clarence House or Government House, Australia

:previous: Today the State Apartments are used regularly by The Queen and other members of the Royal Family for State ceremonies and official entertaining.

The Royal Collection - Palace of Holyroodhouse

Could it be that he is shown as being at Holyrood Palace because it is the official residence of HM (when she is in Scotland), whereas Government House is not HM's official residence?

:previous: Today the State Apartments are used regularly by The Queen and other members of the Royal Family for State ceremonies and official entertaining.

The Royal Collection - Palace of Holyroodhouse

Could it be that he is shown as being at Holyrood Palace because it is the official residence of HM (when she is in Scotland), whereas Government House is not HM's official residence?

I don't think so, I've never seen this destinction made before, perhaps they have decided that C and C should have "a moving court" like The Queen's

Do you have the dates that Charles last stayed at Holyrood, it could be that he rarely overnights there. I know he has hosted garden parties at Holyrood a couple of times, but has not always stayed, preferring to travel back to London overnight.

Do you have the dates that Charles last stayed at Holyrood, it could be that he rarely overnights there. I know he has hosted garden parties at Holyrood a couple of times, but has not always stayed, preferring to travel back to London overnight.

3rd June 2009- TRH were in residence at Holyroodhouse (I must have missed this one)

1st and 2nd June they were in residence at Clarence House eventhough on both days they were in Scotland (but they must have been staying elsewhere than Holyroodhouse)

I have looked into this in some detail and have noticed some inconsistency:

5th June 2008 Palace of Holyroodhouse
3-4 in Scotland but Clarence House
30th May 2007-1st June 2007 Stayed in Holyroodhouse but listed as Clarence House
31st May 2006 PofH
8th Sept 2005 PofH
21-22nd June 2005 PofH
2002, 2001 Mixture
2000 All engagements as Lord High Commissioner in PofH
7th-8th June 1999 in PofH but listed as St James's Palace

I am therefore of the opinion that the change came in around 2000 and that The Palace of Holyrood as been used as The Official Residence of The Duke of Rosthesay when he is in Edinburgh

On the 2nd and 3rd September 2004 The Prince of Wales stayed in Hillsborough Castle, he was however listed as staying in Clarence House, so this one shows that the only exception to Clarence House is The Palace of Holyroodhouse

Last edited:
:previous: When he is in Scotland, he and the Duchess of Rothesay do not always stay at Holyrood, they have a variety of friends they stay with, along with Birkhall, they also have the option of traveling back to England. As I tried to say earlier, just because he has entertained at Holyrood, does not mean he stayed the night.:flowers:

Need your help

Hello,
I desperatly search the Court Cicular from 1981 to 1997 Where could I find it ?

Thank you but there is not Diana, Princess of Wales. That's I search.
I found out on the Times Archives but it's only until 1985.

Thank you but there is not Diana, Princess of Wales. That's I search.
I found out on the Times Archives but it's only until 1985.

So your looking for Princess Diana's events?
I doubt you would find anything information about that on roual websites, but you could check the Diana thread in this forum.

According to the Royal website and the Court Circular page, it contains information on events that occurred within the last 7 years. So you are not going to find anything on the website.

I would imagine that information is available somewhere. Its just a matter of determining where. Wasn't there a book or something that detailed all of Diana's events or am I just imagining that? I have a book called Diana's Diary by Andrew Morton but it doesn't list the particular engagements.

Last edited:
This is some time ago but the Court Circular said Her Majesty was represented by a courtier at the funeral of Sasha Ambercorn. Wasn't she a close friend of the Queen and the Duke?

I'm not sure whether my question really fits into this threat:
Is it theoretically possible that non-HRHs perform official duties on behalf of the Queen?
I suppose, most young royals try to avoid carrying out public duties regularly if they can. However, it may be necessary in the near future, as p.e. the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra are in their 70s and the Duke of Gloucester is in his 60s. They have sat on commissions and boards, have been trustees/chairmen/patrons of many organizations and charities and have represented the Queen abroad on numerous occasions. Who will fill these vacancies when these three working Royals decease (which can be the case in the next decade)? William and Harry have their own charities and organizations and will have to be prepared for greater role within the family. But these so-called minor royals? I'm afraid their positions would remain unfilled if their children (p.e. Earl of St. Andrews, Earl of Ulster) didn't take over their duties.

I'm not sure whether my question really fits into this threat:
Is it theoretically possible that non-HRHs perform official duties on behalf of the Queen?
I suppose, most young royals try to avoid carrying out public duties regularly if they can. However, it may be necessary in the near future, as p.e. the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra are in their 70s and the Duke of Gloucester is in his 60s. They have sat on commissions and boards, have been trustees/chairmen/patrons of many organizations and charities and have represented the Queen abroad on numerous occasions. Who will fill these vacancies when these three working Royals decease (which can be the case in the next decade)? William and Harry have their own charities and organizations and will have to be prepared for greater role within the family. But these so-called minor royals? I'm afraid their positions would remain unfilled if their children (p.e. Earl of St. Andrews, Earl of Ulster) didn't take over their duties.

The obvious ones would have been Beatrice and Eugenie but the reports are that they have been told to get real jobs and that they aren't going to be needed to do royal duties.

That means, to me, that these organisations that have had royal patronage in the past will have to look elsewhere as the younger royals either have their own interests or have been told - 'you are not wanted/needed as part of the family's working life'.

As people like the Earl of St Andrews and Earl of Ulster actually have to work for a living as they aren't so wealthy that they can afford not to have a real job they also don't really have the time to devote to organisations that take up hours of their time.

I think in the future that working royals will have to do more - e.g. Kate will have to start stepping up to 500+ engagements a year within the next couple of years as will William and even Harry might have to leave the military to take up royal duties full time in support of his father and brother when they are monarchs.

Even Anne is now 60 so within 20 years will be slowing down and Andrew is so discredited that the 500+ engagement he has been doing will have to be done by others - but who is there?

Sorry for the organisations but they will need to look to non-royals to fill these roles.

As people like the Earl of St Andrews and Earl of Ulster actually have to work for a living as they aren't so wealthy that they can afford not to have a real job they also don't really have the time to devote to organisations that take up hours of their time.

Honestly, I don't really regard this as a major problem, because a.f.a.i.k. Earl of St. Andrews and Lord Nicholas Windsor have both dedicated their professional lives to charitable work and don't work for their living on "ordinary" jobs. (Earl of St. Andrews is already patron of a dozen organizations or so, and Lord Nicholas Windsor is the unofficial Catholic representative of the Royal Family) Furthermore, they could either be offered accommodation in return for doing royal engagements (Kensington Palace?) or only carry them out part-time (like Prince Michael of Kent, who never appears in the Court Circular as his many public duties are not declared as "official" and has his own business consulting company in order to earn his living.) By the way, I'd find it a bit disappointing not seeing members of the Kent or Gloucester clans doing official engagements.

Honestly, I don't really regard this as a major problem, because a.f.a.i.k. Earl of St. Andrews and Lord Nicholas Windsor have both dedicated their professional lives to charitable work and don't work for their living on "ordinary" jobs. (Earl of St. Andrews is already patron of a dozen organizations or so, and Lord Nicholas Windsor is the unofficial Catholic representative of the Royal Family) Furthermore, they could either be offered accommodation in return for doing royal engagements (Kensington Palace?) or only carry them out part-time (like Prince Michael of Kent, who never appears in the Court Circular as his many public duties are not declared as "official" and has his own business consulting company in order to earn his living.) By the way, I'd find it a bit disappointing not seeing members of the Kent or Gloucester clans doing official engagements.

The major sticking point is how are they going to support themselves? You can't expect Charles to continue to support such distant relations and they aren't that wealthy. Both the Kents and Gloucesters have had to sell stuff to get money in the past and to pay death duties - as unlike Charles their estates don't come free. Charles has indicated that he wants to reduce the size of the working family and doesn't even want his brothers' children doing royal duties so why would he want his mother's cousins children? They didn't even get invited to Zara's wedding afterall - they are too distant and in another generation will probably only appear at things like coronations and funerals. The government has also insisted that Michael pays a full rent for his apartment at KP of over 100,000 pounds a year. The Queen has been paying for the last decade or more but can you really expect Charles to pick up the bill for that for three or four families that are his mother's second cousins and thus his third cousins (I know some on here will argue that they are something like first cousins once removed but that isn't how I was taught by my English grandmother and I will stick with the English/Australian way of referring to cousins). He is loathe to pick up the bills for his own neices so why should he do it for such distant cousins?

Actually Prince Michael doesn't appear in the Court Circular on a regular basis because he doesn't so royal duties. When asked to represent the monarch he does appear - as does anyone else who represent the monarch. He asked and has been allowed to have a business that sees him do all sorts of things but he doesn't actually do royal duties.

I think we must realise that the Kents and Gloucesters are increasingly a long way from the throne and shouldn't expect them to be doing royal duties. The closest any of them are to the throne is 20th and over the next decade will drop further and further. Within 10 years the first of them will be closer to 30th. All that would take is two children each for William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter and Zara and voila - down to 31 - with the possible death of the Queen in that time up to 30th again and the Kents even further away with the Duke now at 28th. Remember when the Queen became Queen the present Duke of Kent was 8th in line. Over 60 years he has dropped 20 places and three of those ahead of him in 1952 have also already died so there are 23 new people between him and the throne. There simply isn't room for the descendents of these families anymore in the royal circles. They will join the descendents of George V's daughter as of interest only to royal watchers as their children have children but that is all.

Of George V's descendents - 5/9 grandchildren have done royal duties throughout their adult life.

Of George VI's descendents - 4/6 of his grandchildren have done so for most of their adult life with Edward trying something else first.

Of Elizabeth II's descendents it seems that 2/8 of her grandchildren will be expected to do so - William and Harry. It is to William and Harry that the future will lie and the descendents of past generations simply fade away as has happened throughout history.

Why would you expect the great-grandchildren of one monarch to do royal duties when the grandchildren of later monarchs - Lord Linley, Sarah Chatto, Peter Philips and Zara Tindell - aren't expected to do so and yet their relationship to a monarch is the same as the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester etc?

Even titled grandchildren of the present monarch aren't going to be doing royal duties and have been told to get a job to support themselves.

It is clear that the size of the working royal family is being reduced and frankly if you were to have a royal do something surely it would be better to have HRH Princess Beatrice of York over The Earl of Ulster who will in time be His Grace The Duke of Gloucester - no royal title for him.

Last edited:
The major sticking point is how are they going to support themselves? You can't expect Charles to continue to support such distant relations and they aren't that wealthy. Both the Kents and Gloucesters have had to sell stuff to get money in the past and to pay death duties - as unlike Charles their estates don't come free. Charles has indicated that he wants to reduce the size of the working family and doesn't even want his brothers' children doing royal duties so why would he want his mother's cousins children?

They aren't so wealthy - that's why I've proposed to give accommodation to them in return to do public engagements. And well, mother's cousin's child is not so distant, especially in this family. (My family's not royal, not even noble for the last 100 years, but even I have a good and relatively close relationship to my father's cousin's children. Furthermore, Lord Nicholas is Charles' godson and Lord Downpatrick was Lady Di's...) And don't forget: He doesn't give them privileges because he likes them so much but because he can delegate some of his duties to them (work <-> low rent/...?), I believe that's fair.
As to "he doesn't even want his brothers' children doing royal duties": I don't agree with that. Anne and Edward have disqualified their children for royal duties by not giving them the titles they were entitled to have. And as to Eugenie and Beatrice: In the past, female members of the Royal Family have never been required to do royal duties - it's always the eldest sons that are expected to do so (which would again hint at Earls of St Andrews and Ulster) . (Well-known exception here: Princess Alexandra who was asked by the Queen to do engagements as there was a lack of female members in the 60s.) Consequently, I don't believe that Charles had any influence whatsoever on the fact that most probably no offsprings of his siblings are going to be working members.

"Actually Prince Michael doesn't appear in the Court Circular on a regular basis because he doesn't so royal duties. When asked to represent the monarch he does appear - as does anyone else who represent the monarch. He asked and has been allowed to have a business that sees him do all sorts of things but he doesn't actually do royal duties."

Well, he's leading British delegations travelling abroad (esp. Eastern European countries), visiting schools, hospitals in the UK and abroad, welcoming foreign representatives on the Queen's behalf, visiting troops as colonel-in-chief of various bataillions, chairing dozens of commissions, organizations, attending state banquets ... I believe that comes close to doing royal duties, although, not "officially".

Why would you expect the great-grandchildren of one monarch to do royal duties when the grandchildren of later monarchs - Lord Linley, Sarah Chatto, Peter Philips and Zara Tindell - aren't expected to do so and yet their relationship to a monarch is the same as the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester etc?

Well, there is one significant difference between those you listed and p.e. Earl of St. Andrews, Earl of Ulster: the latter still have the surname Windsor and are male-line members of the Royal Family. Women (Princess Margaret, Princess Anne) cannot pass down any (royal) titles, so their children are excluded from public life anyway, although they may be genetically closer to the thrown. (But that doesn't count; if it counted, you wouldn't have Number 28, the Duke of Kent, still be an active royal representative.) Furthermore, Earl of St Andrews and Earl of Ulster, when succeeding, will continue to be at least Dukes of Blood Royal (as the Dukedoms are still passed down in the House of Windsor, the reigning house of the Commonwealth Realms), although not styled HRH. They will still take precedence before all other Dukes and certain Officers of State. So, although not having a special style distinguishing them from ordinary Dukes, they still keep royal privileges in official life. It is the title that involves carrying out official duties for the Crown, not the genetical relationship to the monarch (all working members of the royal family except the Princess Royal and The Earl of Wessex are Dukes.)

It is clear that the size of the working royal family is being reduced and frankly if you were to have a royal do something surely it would be better to have HRH Princess Beatrice of York over The Earl of Ulster who will in time be His Grace The Duke of Gloucester - no royal title for him.

I agree, an HRH as patron does have more prestige, no doubt. However, before having Mayor John Smith as a patron, organization X will prefer having His Grace, George Windsor, The Duke of Kent, Earl of St. Andrews, Baron Downpatrick. The Dukedom of Kent has always meant representing the monarch and I'd be really surprised if it wouldn't in the future. However, of course, my idea depends on the respective people being willing to take on royal duties, which is not self-evident. (may there be financial problems or something else.)

Well, you may be right that Charles wants to reduce the size of the working royal family, but as I've mentioned before, having Earl of St Andrews/Ulster doing royal duties wouldn't mean more royals in public service, they would simply replace their deceased parents. By the way, Charles/Camilla, William/Catherine, Harry/X, Edward/Sophie, is not really much.
Furthermore, I don't think that Charles wants to risk monarchy's popularity by minimizing royal engagements. The more often people can watch royals visit their local hospital or something, the more likely they will support the monarchy. With so few royals on duty, they'd hardly be able to visit foreign countries, receiving ambassadors, honoring dignitaries, supporting troops, visiting a kindergarden, and so on. The minor royals have always served the more senior ones well, leaving to them all the important stuff, instead opening the new museum of Somewhere-behind-the-seven-hills in the Queen's name. Charles would be very dumb not using this big advantage...

In my opinion, instead of talking about non-royal great-grandchildren of former monarchs performing royal duties, I think it would make more sense to have the husbands of senior princesses have a more active role in the Firm. I know that Tim Laurence has accompanied the Princess Royal on royal engagements since their marriage in 1992 , but he doesn't do solo work (I don't know much about him, but I'm assuming he is still active in his military life..). It makes sense though, because he is not an HRH. Yet in contrast, the Countess of Wessex has been a member of the family since 1999 and has since become a working royal. Of course, it goes back what gender can pass on their HRH and effectively bring in a new (royal) member of the family. Imagine if Harry was female...during the reigns of Charles/William there would be very few working royals.

I know it's a long shot, I just think that for the future and with scaling down of the Royal family, all spouses of the Monarch's children should have high-profile "royal" roles.

Well when the Queen passes, William, Catherine, Harry & wife - will be the Monarch's children and their spouses and they will all have a high profile role in the royal family.

As to Tim's military career in 2009 he was made Head of Profession for the British Government's Property Asset Management community. I don't know if he still holds this role but I don't think it takes up that much of his time.

Tim's 56 now, I doubt Charles is going to be King for another 10-20 years leaving Tim age 76 - making him a full time working royal at the age of 76 seems unwise.

Beatrice is expected to perform the same number of royal engagements as Princess Anne.

[...]

That counting of engagements is a hobby by a certain individual whom keeps track and informs media, taking it over without any critical eye: copy-and-paste and sloppy journalism in optima forma.

Every normal person would count "The Princess Royal made a visit to South Georgia where a varied afternoon and evening program was followed" as one engagement: "Visit to South Georgia". The chap however counted it with lots of creativity:

Engagement 1:
The Princess Royal toured the British Antarctic Survey Research Station.

Engagement 2:
The Princess Royal viewed the Shackleton Memorial.

Engagement 3:
The Princess Royal was greeted by South Georgia Government Officers.

Engagement 4:
The Princess Royal met with the British Antarctic Survey Research Staff at Everson House, King Edward Point.

Engamenent 5:
The Princess Royal later viewed the Shackleton Photography Exhibition at Grytviken Museum.

Engagement 6:
The Princess Royal this evening attended a Reception given by the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands at Everson House.

Engagement 7:
The Princess Royal afterwards attended a Dinner at Carse House, King Edward Point.

Wow... 7 engagement against one, while the program was exactly the same... welcome in the wonders of (creative) statistics...

^I thought the elderly gentleman who has been collating the BRF public engagements for decades takes The (London) Times daily. The Times prints a direct copy of the Court Circular and the method of noting each engagement is the CC's.

Back
Top Bottom