The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Serene Highness

Canada is a realm , a member of the Commonwealth and also belongs to the Francophonie.
There is no comparision. The Francophonie is a mess and more dysfunctional than the United Nations. The Commonwealth on the other hand has a true family feel and part of that has to do with it having a non-political head and also contrary to what the Guardian and BBC luvvies will have us think, Britain left its former colonies in much better shape than France did with their former colonies.
IMO, Charles will be head of Commonwealth as long as he is King.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM
Majesty

BBC News - Julia Gillard backs Queen's successor as Commonwealth head

An interesting report that as far as I am aware didn't even get a mention in the local press (but I will stand corrected if it was in SMH or Daily Telegraph as they are the only ones available where I live besides the really local papers.)

Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Australia 'should be a republic once Queen's reign ends'

Australia 'should be a republic once Queen's reign ends' - Telegraph
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Queen fights to let baby George rule the Commonwealth: Campaign launched to change the rules to allow Charles, William and new prince to take role when King | Mail Online

Queen fights to let baby George rule the Commonwealth by making the title hereditary:
Campaign launched to change the rules to allow Charles, William and new prince to take role when King

The Queen has launched a discreet campaign to ensure that Prince Charles, Prince William – and eventually baby George – inherit her role as Head of the Commonwealth.

Contrary to popular belief, the position does not extend to her successors. However, the Queen wants David Cameron to use a summit later this year to urge Commonwealth leaders to change its rules so that her son, grandson and great-grandson take on the role when they become King. The Palace believes Commonwealth joy over the birth of Prince George provides the ideal opportunity to guarantee the British Monarchy does not lose its most prominent international platform when the Queen dies.

Her position as Head of the Commonwealth was secured in the ‘London Declaration’ of 1949, three years before she acceded to the Throne. But, crucially, it did not state her heirs would take over. Technically, it is up to the leaders of the 54 countries that make up the Commonwealth to decide who will replace her as Head. But if the Buckingham Palace initiative succeeds, the job would be secured for future British Monarchs when the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) takes place in Sri Lanka in November.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally I hope she succeeds. The moment 'The Commonwealth' becomes overtly political marks the beginning of the end. At present each Commonwealth country has a voice and the last thing we need is yet another bureaucracy where the elite, the select, the richest, or worse, the biggest bullies get to veto everyone else!

The Commonwealth stands for a shared history and a shared commitment. It is not perfect and I doubt anyone is naïve enough to actually believe it is but it can and has made a difference. Just check out the countries HM sent her children and grandchildren to visit during her Diamond Jubilee. They really are the great and the small but every one is a part of something greater than itself.

Long may it last and good luck at CHOGM!

PS: I very much doubt that the birth of Prince George has or indeed had anything to do with it. This has been discussed on and off for years and HM has been "campaigning" for quite a little while now. I know we worship the cult of youth . . . but I think Prince George would have to be the most advanced and precocious child in the world to factor in. God bless the Mail Online . . . where would we be without it's unfailing humour!!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Personally I hope she succeeds. The moment 'The Commonwealth' becomes overtly political marks the beginning of the end. At present each Commonwealth country has a voice and the last thing we need is yet another bureaucracy where the elite, the select, the richest, or worse, the biggest bullies get to veto everyone else!
When I first read the article I was angry that HM was seeking to establish her family as permanent heads of The Commonwealth, but common sense finally bashed that mis-placed anger into submission. We only have a Commonwealth because all these diverse countries were once part of the British Empire; there's never been anything remotely democratic about it, but in the circumstances it works. Let the successor to the British Crown continue to chair the show. We don't need Commonwealth time wasted with political campaigning.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Majesty

These days countries with no links to the British Empire are joining - I think there are three or four - so that link isn't relevant.

They could easily set it up to have a permanent rotating chair e.g. Australia GG chairs for one CHOGM and the next one is chaired by Kenya etc - no politicing needed just a set up where everyone has a chance.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, when I first read the article, I thought this is not like the Queen as it lacks political astuteness. I'm still surprised by this "leak"?? or whatever it is.

Then I thought - for her it is now or never; Charles has the opportunity this Autumn to show that it is a good idea.

And then I considered of the political diversity across the Commonwealth and then why not? The Head of BRF is as political neutral as you can get.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
These days countries with no links to the British Empire are joining - I think there are three or four - so that link isn't relevant.

They could easily set it up to have a permanent rotating chair e.g. Australia GG chairs for one CHOGM and the next one is chaired by Kenya etc - no politicing needed just a set up where everyone has a chance.
Well, there goes my resolve! Without the Empire link, the argument doesn't work.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Well some of the Commonwealth heads of state and heads of government are less that admirable, so from a PR point of view the British monarch is at least neutral and non-controversial and also generally raises the profile of the meetings. The only other alternative I would suggest would be the Commonwealth Secretary General to open/host the meetings.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Majesty

The Queen actually doesn't chair the meetings now. In fact at the last one she left before the meetings really started - she was there for the opening and left Australia on either the second or third day.

She hosts the opening meeting and the banquet but doesn't attend the meetings or chair them.

e.g. 2011 she attended the opening ceremony and banquet on 28th October and left Australia on the 29th after attending a BBQ that wasn't linked to CHOGM. CHOGM proper took place between the 29th and 30th while she was flying home.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Gambia quits the Commonwealth-
Gambia quits the Commonwealth | World news | The Guardian

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I am afraid the dear Sheikh Doctor General President Dictator of Gambia will not be greatly missed at the upcoming Commonwealth meeting. One less dictator to give foreign aid to as far as I am concerned. I do feel sorry for his people though as his rule does not seem to have done much to improve their lot in life.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
From the BBC

BBC News - The Gambia to withdraw from Commonwealth
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Commonwealth Youth Award winners at Buckingham Palace

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

As we saw recently in Sri Lanka, I think you will now see Charles pay increasing attention to matters relating to the Commonwealth. I suspect, for the foreseeable future, at least one of the 2 overseas tours that C&C undertake annually, will be to a Commonwealth region

Apart from some of the realms (Aus?), I would be surprised if there was much change in the composition of the Commonwealth following the death of QE2
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

From what I've seen and read, Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine attention is very much on the Commonwealth.

I do see a great debate about the future of the Commonwealth Countries after The Queen's passing. I think the new faces of the Monarchy will have to work hard to at least try and help keep things together.

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I do see a great debate about the future of the Commonwealth Countries after The Queen's passing. I think the new faces of the Monarchy will have to work hard to at least try and help keep things together.
I think the debate may be in some of the realms, but the larger Commonwealth, IMO, will remain intact. Even the realms that choose to not have Charles as their head of state will probably continue in the Commonwealth.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I think you are right. I don't see any mass exodus from the Commonwealth itself because there is too much too lose for many countries . . in fact I would say most countries.

As to whether or not the position of 'Head' will devolve to Charles then William, that remains to be seen. However, most members are somewhat pragmatic and would see the politicking and election required for a replacement as time consuming, open to corruption and worst of all . . . expensive! Basically, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it'.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As we saw recently in Sri Lanka, I think you will now see Charles pay increasing attention to matters relating to the Commonwealth. I suspect, for the foreseeable future, at least one of the 2 overseas tours that C&C undertake annually, will be to a Commonwealth region

Apart from some of the realms (Aus?), I would be surprised if there was much change in the composition of the Commonwealth following the death of QE2
No one I know has ever suggested that Australia should leave the Commonwealth - become a republic yes but like the majority of the Commonwealth a republic within the Commonwealth - assuming the rest of the Commonwealth allows us to stay if we become a republic. As a realm membership is automatic but once a country becomes a republic the rest of the Commonwealth has to approve the continuing membership.