The British Royal Family: Race & Racism

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. My husband is biracial but he identifies as a black man, not only because that is how society sees him but also because of his experiences and upbringing. It's the same for many other biracial people.

Meghan has mostly referred to herself as biracial but as mentioned, she once corrected someone who said she isn't black. It really is a complex issue but ultimately, how one identifies is very much based on their own experiences, among other things.

Yes. Someone said "Meghan is not a black woman" and her reply was "My mother and I would disagree with you." Overall she is a very proud biracial woman but if you come for her blackness she will check you.

Yes. Someone said "Meghan is not a black woman" and her reply was "My mother and I would disagree with you." Overall she is a very proud biracial woman but if you come for her blackness she will check you.

She even stated in the engagement interview when asked about the racism thrown their way that she is proud of her background and heritage. IMO she was clearly referring to her blackness.

I still maintain that the virulency of the racist commentary Meghan faced when their relationship was outed is what shocked Harry enough to release that statement. I think Harry, as thoughtful as he can be, never imagined such a reaction. It was just something so outside his own experience.

:previous: Yes. I know some who were critical of him releasing that statement have pointed out that he didn't do the same for his past girlfriends. But the attacks and the tone of the attacks were different because of the fact that Meghan is biracial. Plus, I truly believe Harry was just at a place in his life where he simply was not going to allow this kind of stuff to go unchecked and potentially ruin a budding relationship, particularly since he apparently knew at that point that Meghan was the one for him.

I might be completely wrong, but I don't think Harry has ever had to face racism as it hit Meghan when their relationship became public. It's also different to hear people talk about their experiences, than actually see it happen in real time, and to see it happen to someone he loves.

This Jo woman kind of did a weird favour, in a roundabout way. The 'what racism, haven't seen any' comments got their reply.

In the engagement interview Harry said he and Meghan had some frank conversations about what she would be getting into by marrying into the Royal Family. I image they had similar conversations about the bigotry that would be thrown their way and how it could affect their children. I think that's why the queen did the early welcome (Xmas at Sandringham and Buckingham Palace, Xmas party at Windsor) to show support. Well there's the Princess Michael business but I won't indict the whole family.

Speaking of Jo, the tabloids just unearth more dirt on her: one printed old tweets where she attacked E. European immigrants, called some rapists. And the Fail alleged she did texts joking about child rape; they are allegedly so bad DM won't publish them. I find it odd that the tabloids that have gone after Meghan are acting like her champion. The pink press has a new target already rife with scandal and taking her down will get more clicks than a Meghan story now. Karma - what a thing.

Speaking of Jo, the tabloids just unearth more dirt on her: one printed old tweets where she attacked E. European immigrants, called some rapists. And the Fail alleged she did texts joking about child rape; they are allegedly so bad DM won't publish them. I find it odd that the tabloids that have gone after Meghan are acting like her champion. The pink press has a new target already rife with scandal and taking her down will get more clicks than a Meghan story now. Karma - what a thing.

I feel like the DM trying to distance themselves from being labeled racist and get on their good side even if briefly. I have no doubt it will turn again but that is my guess. Don't focus on us. This one is actually awful.

And I agree with the comments about why Harry released that statement. It is one thing to hear about racism and another to see someone you love experience it. I am sure it was eye opening for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not suggesting otherwise. I was specifically referring to comments Meghan made about black people degrading her. Either way, these discussions among black people are pretty normal and are not necessarily degrading. After all, there are plenty of biracial/mixed people who don't even consider themselves black. Larger point is that these discussions aren't really comparable to comments by this political leader's girlfriend.

I am not comparing what they said to what that awful woman said about Meghan. That being said, on that show The Grapevine, one of the contributors called Meghan a half breed which is disgusting and is just as bad.

I think a lot of people sometimes dismiss racial issues (why is it important/I dont see race) and most mean well and are not being racist.
Its important however to remember that race still plays a significant role in the lives of people of colour (POC) e.g that UKIP leaders girlfriends comments

Its also important to remember that history plays a huge role in not just how we see each other but also which race people identifiy with.

1. The so-called "one drop rule"
- during the dark days, any person that was mixed (with back usually but other minorities as well) regardless of how they appear physically was regarded as being black. This was to discourage the "tainting" of the "superior race". (Please look up the Lovings case and story, they were the biracial couple whose legal battle lead to some changes in the law, the State that was fighting them uses their childrens mixed race to try prove their "point".

As a result, the black community has always been a very broad spectrum of shades and learned to embrace biracial people as their own. Most of these kids were also raised by their black relative (due to segregation laws) and thus identified with the culture as well.

Modern days there is still a lot of that in the black community and a lot of biracial people still identify as black, especially if they have prominant black features. This has created a proble for biracial people cause they feel like they have to pick a race, which they dont really. For most biracial people, the things that they face will likey force them to identify as black but they are very clear that it does not mean that they disown their white heritage e.g actors Yara Shahidi, Jesse Williams

Now to Meghan, not only is she mixed, she is what some may consider "white passing". Let me explain, when you look at her pictures as a child, her hair is very distinctive thus very easy to note that she is biracial. She currenly wears her hair straight and some people who dont know her story may not be sure if she is mixed or white.
These are the people who usually struggle the most with racial identity. Some choose one race others choose to identify as mixed. Other examples of mixed people who have predomjnately white features e.g Mariah Carey

. They are biracial but at first glance may be appear white. Because of a previous system that used to force people to be either or, we as a society are still learning to accept that some biracial people truelly do not identify as either race.

So there are complex reasons as to why some people may identify as one race or not pick a race at all.

While we might not like it, her ethnicity will play a role in Meghans life and when issues arise, sometimes its important to try understand and learn more. While a lot of people are not racist, there are still others who are.

Last edited:
Love learning about Her Majesty Queen Charlotte:

:previous: And let's not forget Queen Philippa, wife of King Edward III. :flowers:

Police confirm a racist attack attempt on Meghan that happened last week

Met Police on the letter sent to #PrinceHarry & #MeghanMarkle “The substance was tested and confirmed as non suspicious. Officers are also investigating an allegation of ‘malicious’ communications which relates to the same package.”

I don't think the racial issue matters so much.
H&M are a high profile couple, so they are bound to attract nutcases, who for whatever reasons could come up with things like that.

Keep in mind the way Kate has been under attack.
There are many nutters who seriously hate Kate, basically because she's Kate. It is no different for Meghan.
I think such letters are more common than we think, we just don't hear about them. - And IMO it's better that way. Because now more nutcases will begin to send letters containing all sorts of powder.

Back in 2015 it was reported Metropolitan police were monitoring 220 ‘stalkers’ in regards to Kate.

Just recently ISIS issued threats against Prince George.

Unfortunately it comes with the territory.

I don't dismiss racial issues. I do agree that as a high profile couple they will attract loons who will attack no matter what. Yes Kate, Harry, and William have there haters but they have never and will never experience racism and that is not to be ignored or swept under the rug. Harry's children will have a biracial mother and a African American grandmother. This will be true for the rest his life. So racial issues do matter because it will affect them.

I am not worried about her safety. Those letters were never getting to Meghan. Their RPOs are very skilled and they know the royals are targets. They will do what needs to be done. They will keep on living their lives. And it is good they have a high profile event next week to show that.

UPDATE:

Breaking: The Metropolitan Police are now investigating the package of white powder and malicious letter sent to #PrinceHarry and #MeghanMarkle last week as a racist hate crime.
The matter is being investigated by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command

Last edited:
Back in 2015 it was reported Metropolitan police were monitoring 220 ‘stalkers’ in regards to Kate.

Just recently ISIS issued threats against Prince George.

Unfortunately it comes with the territory.
Reporters have stated that racist material was addressed to Meghan. It's racism.

I believe the best way to suffocate racism is to "normalize" the issue.

Meghan is of mixed European-African ancestry, so what? No need to make a song and dance act out of it, from either sides.
She is the first black to marry into the BRF, let's all rejoice! (Or dispair, depending on your views on the matter.) - Why?

I think when Harry fell for Meghan it wasn't because she's half black (or half white, depending on your views). I think he fell for the woman, Meghan.

And I doubt Megan after Harry proposed, danced around singing: "I landed myself a redhead. How cool is that! Wuppee"! - Or alternatively: "Harry's redhead, how am I gonna break that one to the family"?!?

She's Meghan and that's all that matters.

I don't dismiss racial issues. I do agree that as a high profile couple they will attract loons who will attack no matter what. Yes Kate, Harry, and William have there haters but they have never and will never experience racism and that is not to be ignored or swept under the rug. Harry's children will have a biracial mother and a African American grandmother. This will be true for the rest his life. So racial issues do matter because it will affect them.

I am not worried about her safety. Those letters were never getting to Meghan. Their RPOs are very skilled and they know the royals are targets. They will do what needs to be done. They will keep on living their lives. And it is good they have a high profile event next week to show that.

UPDATE:

Breaking: The Metropolitan Police are now investigating the package of white powder and malicious letter sent to #PrinceHarry and #MeghanMarkle last week as a racist hate crime.
The matter is being investigated by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command

I agree with this. You can't just disregard the racial component to this. While all of them receive threats, hence the need for RPO, none of them will ever face racist threats at the level that MM is. She will have to deal with all the rest just like they all do, but then you add the racist attacks that she has faced and will continue to face. Not only that, but her children will have to grow up facing that as well.

I remember there was a little bit of argument of whether or not Meghan should receive 24-hour protection since Sophie and Tim Lawrence don't and how York princesses lost their RPO when they are higher in line to the throne than Harry is now, I think a case like this would sufficiently say it is called for at this point for Meghan. I'm sure there are a lot of threats that we don't hear about that Scotland Yard is aware of. They are ultimately the ones determining who poses as enough of a risk to receive RPO, not the members of the royal family themselves.

As a person a color I don't agree with ignoring things to "normalize" racial issues. I agree that Harry and Meghan fell in love with each other because of who they are. They not obsessed with race but we also can't ignore it either. Putting your head in the sand doesn't change anything.

I believe the best way to suffocate racism is to "normalize" the issue.

Meghan is of mixed European-African ancestry, so what? No need to make a song and dance act out of it, from either sides.
She is the first black to marry into the BRF, let's all rejoice! (Or dispair, depending on your views on the matter.) - Why?

I think when Harry fell for Meghan it wasn't because she's half black (or half white, depending on your views). I think he fell for the woman, Meghan.

And I doubt Megan after Harry proposed, danced around singing: "I landed myself a redhead. How cool is that! Wuppee"! - Or alternatively: "Harry's redhead, how am I gonna break that one to the family"?!?

She's Meghan and that's all that matters.
This might get moved to the race thread? But anyways, I'm not seeing how it's best to deal with racism by normalizing it. To me, silence is a sign of acceptance, and I will never accept racism. I agree that Harry fell for Meghan because of who she is, but to say that's all this is given their public roles is simply incorrect. The support for monarchy is reliant on it symbolizing something to the people. Otherwise, they become irrelevant.

Police confirm a racist attack attempt on Meghan that happened last week

Met Police on the letter sent to #PrinceHarry & #MeghanMarkle “The substance was tested and confirmed as non suspicious. Officers are also investigating an allegation of ‘malicious’ communications which relates to the same package.”

How absolutely frightening. I wonder if this is a copycat? Obama and Don Trump Jr. were also recently sent letters with a white substance.

A threat is a threat though. If someone is out to get me I don’t really care what their motivation is.

If Meghan wasn’t biracial she’d still be under constant threat.

A threat is a threat though. If someone is out to get me I don’t really care what their motivation is.

If Meghan wasn’t biracial she’d still be under constant threat.

No one is saying she wouldn't be under constant threat, we are just saying there is an additional element to it. Of course, if someone just wants to attack members of the royal family, they'll do so to any of them. However, with Meghan Markle, there are racists that will go to the length even if they didn't care about the royal family before. In fact, with what we saw with Jo Marney, Meghan is being resented and attacked because she's seen as "tainting" the royal family as well. That's an element that isn't there for other members.

:previous: I see your point, ACO. But my point is that when I see Meghan I see first and foremost an American.

If I sat in a bus looking at Meghan I would have problems figuring out whether she has Arabian, Indian, African, Native American or Inuit DNA in her for that matter.
Her features IMO are not so distinctive that a neon sign would pop up above my head reading: Wow! She's black!

In recent years there was a tendency to have a song and dance act each time a homosexual went out. Now it's so common that few really cares. Actually it's IMO become a bit annoying when someone makes a big deal out of it. - Because it's become normal. And that has happened in less than 30 years.
And that's what I mean by suffocating racism.

How absolutely frightening. I wonder if this is a copycat? Obama and Don Trump Jr. were also recently sent letters with a white substance.

Could very well be. There seems to a lot recently

On February 13, another letter containing white power was sent to the U.K.’s Parliament building, addressed to Home Secretary Amber Rudd. The letter prompted an evacuation of some parts of the building, though later tests showed that the powder it contained was harmless.

:previous: I see your point, ACO. But my point is that when I see Meghan I see first and foremost an American.

If I sat in a bus looking at Meghan I would have problems figuring out whether she has Arabian, Indian, African, Native American or Inuit DNA in her for that matter.
Her features IMO are not so distinctive that a neon sign would pop up above my head reading: Wow! She's black!

In recent years there was a tendency to have a song and dance act each time a homosexual went out. Now it's so common that few really cares. Actually it's IMO become a bit annoying when someone makes a big deal out of it. - Because it's become normal. And that has happened in less than 30 years.

I see what you mean but I just don't really agree in that approach. I don't need people focusing on people's race, sexuality, religion or whatever. People are people and that should be the focus. Who are are as a person. Not the other stuff that people want to define you as. But don't ignore it when those differences are used as a weapon against you.

As said, I am a person of color. I have dealt with racism and it is infuriating and frustrating. So it is a bit of a trigger when someone wants to downplay it. Meghan is biracial and while some might not can tell that others very much can and will use it against her.

This threat is serious and I am glad they are taking it seriously.

:previous: I see your point. But my point is that when I see Meghan I see first and foremost an American.

Unfortunately, not everyone sees people the way you do. If they all did, racism wouldn't be an issue and we wouldn't be here talking about a racially motivated threat towards her right now. Bottom line is, it's a celebration because they are groups that are undermined and discriminated against in the past and are just begin to be widely accepted as equals in recent times. And there is celebration for those that now feel like they can relate to a member of the royal family. Of course there will be people that doesn't like it, but to have racially charged insults thrown at her and even threats like this is on another level.

According to the press this incident is being treated as a hate crime. I didn't know there were hate crime laws in the UK. If they catch this guy or gal watch the lawyer say it was a joke or free speech or hope Harry and break up over this, especially if that person faces heavy jail time. All public figures face threats and people of color have the racial element thrown in. I'm glad H and M are still having their engagement with Will and Kate, showing they will not be scared off and a show of solidarity. People who root for Meghan and Harry will root for them more.

The British Royal Family: Race & Racism

I don't think the racial issue matters so much.
H&M are a high profile couple, so they are bound to attract nutcases, who for whatever reasons could come up with things like that.

Keep in mind the way Kate has been under attack.
There are many nutters who seriously hate Kate, basically because she's Kate. It is no different for Meghan.
I think such letters are more common than we think, we just don't hear about them. - And IMO it's better that way. Because now more nutcases will begin to send letters containing all sorts of powder.

I absolutely agree with you. Its their staff that see these letters and have to deal with them anyway Its best that these people don’t get the attention they are trying to get.

Last edited:
According to the press this incident is being treated as a hate crime. I didn't know there were hate crime laws in the UK. If they catch this guy or gal watch the lawyer say it was a joke or free speech or hope Harry and break up over this, especially if that person faces heavy jail time. All public figures face threats and people of color have the racial element thrown in. I'm glad H and M are still having their engagement with Will and Kate, showing they will not be scared off and a show of solidarity. People who root for Meghan and Harry will root for them more.

Freedom of speech doesn't give someone a right to terrorize another person. What did they think they were doing when they send white powder in an envelope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom