The British Royal Family: Race & Racism

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes no sense at all to say something like that where every one can find out about it. What is the upside?

It makes no sense at all to say something like that where every one can find out about it. What is the upside?

It’s not about upside. It’s her being her true self.

Unfortunately some people open their mouths without thinking. Celebrities certainly aren't short on putting their foot in their mouth at times. But when you are well known, and political, even your texts wont remain private long it seems. The last thing her and Bolton need right now. :ermm:

I read the article and the "apology" is self serving. She is only sorry she was exposed. After all Meghan and Harry have been through they are not going to concern themselves over a mistress turned girlfriend already embroiled in a scandal (with the married lover turned boyfriend).

A racist being a racist. She not sorry for what she said. She meant every word. She only sorry she was exposed.

This just the beginning. People really in their feels about Meghan and despite the denials the root of a lot of it is pretty obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree, racists are never apologetic for their thoughts. She is simply sorry she got caught.

A racist being a racist. She not sorry for what she said. She meant every word. She only sorry she was exposed.

This just the beginning. People really in their feels about Meghan and despite the denials the root of a lot of it is pretty obvious.
I thought it was interesting how her apology made no mention of the woman she actually used this language towards. Not that Meghan would need her apology, but it does shine quite a light on her sincerety, doesn’t it?

Anyways I wonder how many more people will be exposed by May.

Whist [undeniably] there will be a tiny minority in the UK whose views accord with those held by this ghastly Woman, the reality is UKIP, since winning its CORE argument [Brexit] has been aimlessly casting round for a raison d'être, its membership has been in freefall, and EVEN at the height of its influence was unable to 'break through' in terms of Parliamentary seats,[unlike the similar far right parties in Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and Finland].
They have NO 'Public purchase' here, and this will not buy them any.

Of more concern to me is that these views were contained in text messages [essentially PRIVATE communications betwixt two people]. They were NOT posted on Facebook, Twitter, Fora or other Social media. It is monstrous that the Fail has chosen to make them Public, and thus 'give air time' to a racist whose views are typical of only an
infinitesimal number of people.
TYPICALLY they seek to make mischief where none exists. People here are delighted for the engaged couple, and their Public appearances since the announcement are PROOF of it.

Last edited:
Well this woman is getting some karma for her vile remarks. Suspension from UKIP is not enough; there are calls for her expulsion and her boyfriend to resign. Some what of an Edward VIII situation, your woman or the crown ( this case party leadership). It also shows that people will sell you out to the tabloids for the right price whether you are family or friend.

The texts where clearly given to the DM by the other person in the conversation who was appalled. The moment she called her a "racist" should have been a clue for that woman to check herself instead she double downed. That is why her apology was a joke. We can literally read you say "so what?"

But I do think exposing it was good. It should be. A lot of people think Meghan doesn't experiences this stuff because she is a lighter skinned woman. I have heard many say "she not black" or whatever. It is a reminder to many that she is still seen as less because of her ethnicity and that their future children will be thought the same way, sadly.

The texts where clearly given to the DM by the other person in the conversation who was appalled. The moment she called her a "racist" should have been a clue for that woman to check herself instead she double downed. That is why her apology was a joke. We can literally read you say "so what?"

But I do think exposing it was good. It should be. A lot of people think Meghan doesn't experiences this stuff because she is a lighter skinned woman. I have heard many say "she not black" or whatever. It is a reminder to many that she is still seen as less because of her ethnicity and that their future children will be thought the same way, sadly.

Meghan experiences it from both sides of the 'aisle' ...she's rec'd racist/degrading comments from blacks as well because she's not dark enough, the way she does her hair etc. IIRC she's talked about it before.

LaRae

Meghan experiences it from both sides of the 'aisle' ...she's rec'd racist/degrading comments from blacks as well because she's not dark enough, the way she does her hair etc. IIRC she's talked about it before.

LaRae

Oh I know. You don't have to go very far to see that. Colorism is a big issue as well and another side she will have to deal with as her media status rises. You already see people taking issue with her being referred as black. She had to defend herself when someone told her she wasn't. She is proudly biracial but that truly is an issue for a lot people.

It is interesting to think about these conversations being head among the royal family. They have never really had to deal with this kind of issue before but now they will have a senior royal who will on a daily basis. While they might not be direct with it the conversation is being started.

I think where they have chosen to make one of their first two appearances is pretty direct ... certainly the folks who live there have gotten a lot of notice for the positives in their community instead of the negatives!

LaRae

LaRae

Link please?? I only recall her talking about not being dark enough, in relation to her casting in movies/tv, never heard/read her say anything about receiving degrading comments from black people. Even still, colorism and racism are two different things. And the issue here is comments made by the UKIP leader's girlfriend.

Last edited:
I have no link..I read a link on another forum weeks and weeks ago.

LaRae

Ok, just trying to get some clarification.

Last edited:
I have read her relating that she never felt "black enough" and when she took a class in college, she finally had a word for what she experienced. Colorism itself usually has more to do with being too dark.

Ok, just trying to get some clarification.

Lipstick Alley, The Grapevine a YouTube discussion show with Black millenials talked about Meghan, think pieces by Gal-Dem magazine and Media Diversified.

There are a number of places where Black folk have expressed their feelings on Meghan's blackness either positively or negatively.

I think it's fine that she identifies as biracial--it's not like she's saying she not black, because she's not hiding her mother and she owns her African heritage.

Why should anyone care what color she is, she is a very good decent lovely human being that cares about others in this world, shouldn't that be enough to satisfy everyone? We keep talking about color makes it color, this is about Meghan not just her color, we have no choice in the color of our skin when born, don't people get that? Are we the human race that dumb and shallow that color is all that seems to matter here? Yes it is part of her yet not the whole of her as some are taking it to extremes........:bang:

It's not color so much as it is culture. People are curious about her background, much as they were curious about the coal miners in Kate's background.

Lipstick Alley, The Grapevine a YouTube discussion show with Black millenials talked about Meghan, think pieces by Gal-Dem magazine and Media Diversified.

There are a number of places where Black folk have expressed their feelings on Meghan's blackness either positively or negatively.

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I was specifically referring to comments Meghan made about black people degrading her. Either way, these discussions among black people are pretty normal and are not necessarily degrading. After all, there are plenty of biracial/mixed people who don't even consider themselves black. Larger point is that these discussions aren't really comparable to comments by this political leader's girlfriend.

I think it's fine that she identifies as biracial--it's not like she's saying she not black, because she's not hiding her mother and she owns her African heritage.

In fairness it is the only thing she should identify as :ermm:

If she called herself black, would she not be denying her father? Is that anymore right? :sad: She has two parents, one is black and one is white. That is part of who she is. By identifying as either white or black she would be denying one half of herself. I don't see why people think her denying her father's heritage is not as bad.

In fairness it is the only thing she should identify as :ermm:

If she called herself black, would she not be denying her father? Is that anymore right? :sad: She has two parents, one is black and one is white. That is part of who she is. By identifying as either white or black she would be denying one half of herself. I don't see why people think her denying her father's heritage is not as bad.

Not really--multiracial people with African ancestry have traditionally identified as black, because that is how our culture has identified them. I know plenty of multiracial people who identify as black for that reason, without denying the non-black parent.

Meghan has a great relationship with both her parents so I get why she identifies as both but there are many biracial people out there who do not. I know many myself who pick a side, usually the side that is more predominate in their lives. That is not the case with her.

My point is double standards, not how society views people.

If she identified as white people would cry outrage.....she is pretending, she is denying her mother, she is ashamed of her African heritage:ermm:

But if she identifies as black, its acceptable. Its cultural. Its pride in what she is.

It seems a shame that it is fully acceptable to deny your white father/roots, but not to deny your black roots. She is bi-racial, and should be proud of it.

My brother in law and his twin are bi-racial. They were born to American parents, dad was Caucasian, mother African American, in the 60's. They were adopted by a Caucasian French Canadian family and raised in a dominate white neighborhood in alberta (French one, didn't speak English till school). Though they consider themselves French Canadians, as they were raised as such, if asked, they check the bi-racial box and embrace that is what they are.

Last edited:
Not really--multiracial people with African ancestry have traditionally identified as black, because that is how our culture has identified them. I know plenty of multiracial people who identify as black for that reason, without denying the non-black parent.

Yes. My husband is biracial but he identifies as a black man, not only because that is how society sees him but also because of his experiences and upbringing. It's the same for many other biracial people.

Meghan has mostly referred to herself as biracial but as mentioned, she once corrected someone who said she isn't black. It really is a complex issue but ultimately, how one identifies is very much based on their own experiences, among other things.

Last edited:
I don't think she is denying her father, though. Racial identity is kind of an artificial construct anyway. My kids are both biracial and what they identify as changes from time to time. At the end of the day, what they come up with is up to them. People like to claim Meghan because the royal family is about as white of an institution as one can imagine, one that most POC would never think of being a part of.

Last edited:
I am multiracial and I pretty much only ID as black. Its not about denying my father, who is French and Jordanian. I embrace parts of both those cultures/speak both those languages (French and Arabic). When people see me, they generally do not automatically ID me as AA, but will play a rather annoying guessing game. But my cultural experiences align with my black family and to be frank, there is almost always a marked difference between how people treat me when i am simply "ambiguous" versus when they know i am black.

Meghan has seemed to lean toward her black heritage in many instances, but that doesn't mean she doesn't love her father or deny him. I have heard her call herself biracial black. She mentioned she specifically wanted them to cast a black man as her father. She balked when her teacher told her to put down only white, etc. She ID's as a woman of color and corrects people when they say she isn't black. So she ID's as black insofar as being biracial is a big part of the black experience in the United States.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom