The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Marie Christine could also have selected and worn the brooch in *honor* of Meghan's biracial heritage. To me this seems so much more likely than a person deliberately purchasing/or having a brooch just for the prime purpose of offending people let alone a future family member at the Queen's luncheon.

We all wear things we like that represent ourselves sometimes. Election time you wear a button supporting your candidate. Christmas time you wear your best holiday ugly sweater or a Christmas tree brooch. Royals on tour wear things that reflect the country they're visiting.

People will make out of it what they wish to though. Its the way of the world.
I highly doubt Princess Michael’s thoughts on this really matter to Meghan and I’m not even on either side of whether she did on purpose to offend or if it’s to honor or simply a faux pas. However, the fact that this type of symbol has been controversial in terms of what it represents to people of color in general just makes this a bad decision for a member of royal family to wear so openly.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I highly doubt Princess Michael’s thoughts on this really matter to Meghan and I’m not even on either side of whether she did on purpose to offend or if it’s to honor or simply a faux pas. However, the fact that this type of symbol has been controversial in terms of what it represents to people of color in general just makes this a bad decision for a member of royal family to wear so openly.
Before this convo started, I had no idea that this would be offensive to people of colour. In my family, the Christmas nativity set had Balthazar as a Moor - so did my local church. The idea that many races and different social positions is key in the Nativity scenes.

At no time in the UK have I been told that it is offensive.

I accept all that you say.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh dear I don’t know anything about the brooch but if there was the slightest chance it could appear to be racist then she shouldn’t have worn it.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My apologies also for my statements here. I had no clue even what a Moor brooch was, how it was perceived or anything about them whatsoever.

The more I read, the more I think Princess Michael should have put more thought into what she was wearing when she got dressed. We can't know what she was thinking but obviously, she's made a mistake. Balthazar may have been a wise Moorish magi but Marie Christine didn't think too wisely.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Before this convo started, I had no idea that this would be offensive to people of colour. In my family, the Christmas nativity set had Balthazar as a Moor - so did my local church. The idea that many races and different social positions is key in the Nativity scenes.

I think for me its more the design which is very similar to figurines, jewelry and styles that were once in vogue that had very racist social understandings to them. Whether it was intentional or not (maybe she just likes St Balthazar), as someone of black descent myself my first thought was to kinda recoil when I saw it.

Having a nativity scene that depicts the wise man as a POC or Moor is different than this.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Having a nativity scene that depicts the wise man as a POC or Moor is different than this.
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Why wear just one wise man when there were three if it was meant to reflect the Christmas season?

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think for me its more the design which is very similar to figurines, jewelry and styles that were once in vogue that had very racist social understandings to them. Whether it was intentional or not (maybe she just likes St Balthazar), as someone of black descent myself my first thought was to kinda recoil when I saw it.

Thank you - this makes sense. I remember in the 80s (in the UK) there were brooches made of head/shoulders of different people - I especially remember Mardi Gras masked figures. This reminds me of that style and that era. It certainly isn't a modern piece. Butler and Wilson made them.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Are you kidding me? The racist origins of these kinds of pieces is extremely well known. There is nothing "honoring" about them. I am going to go out an say it, whether or not this was intentional, it was certainly ignorant and still offensive. This is not something you wear to honor a POC of black ancestry.

I can already tell this is a thread I will need to bow out of.
I agree, but guess who will have the last laugh on the 19th of May, 2018? All is well!

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Most African-Americans would read the brooch along the same lines as a traditional lawn jockey. Stating that it's meant to represent one of the Magi earns a serious side-eye.

I have no idea why the woman would wear something like that, since it seems to me that on such occasions you would want to seem as welcoming as possible, and not introduce even a whiff of prejudice.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
My apologies also for my statements here. I had no clue even what a Moor brooch was, how it was perceived or anything about them whatsoever.

The more I read, the more I think Princess Michael should have put more thought into what she was wearing when she got dressed. We can't know what she was thinking but obviously, she's made a mistake. Balthazar may have been a wise Moorish magi but Marie Christine didn't think too wisely.
No I get it. It's very different for POC. It also doesn't help that she has had incidents in the pass that some have deemed racially insensitive, so seeing this immediately went to being something negative. She might have have a different idea. Maybe she was trying to be supportive as they can be seen that way (though mostly not) and this just backfired. I'm not here to judge her but just show how it rubbed me wrong at first glance. It's controversial for a reason.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Most African-Americans would read the brooch along the same lines as a traditional lawn jockey. Stating that it's meant to represent one of the Magi earns a serious side-eye.

I have no idea why the woman would wear something like that, since it seems to me that on such occasions you would want to seem as welcoming as possible, and not introduce even a whiff of prejudice.
I have no idea what a traditional lawn jockey is.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Courtier

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...awn_jockey.jpg

This is a lawn jockey. They were once used as hitching posts, and the older ones depicted young black boys.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Majesty

Different countries histories and experiences do have a huge impact on understanding what could be offensive.

Thank you for explaining.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Majesty

I googled around to find out more about Blackamore Jewelry (and art) and it seems there is quite a brisk market for these.

As to Princess Michael some folks are saying (elsewhere) it's representation of the Magi, others don't agree. It just seems unlikely she would wear that in order to cause offense. If it's something she wears every year during the Christmas season then it would seem she thinks it represents the Magi.

Anyone gone back and looked at her jewelry from previous years during Christmas season events?

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Courtier

British Royal Christmas 2008-2017

As usual, there are people who only want to see the worst in Princess Michael when there’s actually nothing to suggest she’s antagonist other than gutter press gossip. It’s a brooch she clearly likes and decided to wear to a private family event. Had she not been photographed going in, we would never have seen it. There’s far too much offence taken these days at innocent things. It’s just a brooch. That’s all.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Even a brooch.
People 'taking offence' on behalf of Ms Markle [whose reaction IF any, they cannot know] is beyond absurd.
It's a jewel for heaven sake.. and if it represents a 'Moor' they were slave owners themselves NOT slaves, which makes such an OTT reaction doubly ridiculous...

Had HRH worn a KKK white conical hat I can see that offence would have been both taken and intended, but a brooch !
Old 12-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Courtier

I totally agree. Whatever Marie Christine does is over examined and dragged out of all proportion. Always has been. It’s unfortunate because she’s probably one of the most intelligent royals, yet another reason that I cannot see she’d wear something to deliberately offend Meghan. What would she have to gain by doing such a thing anyway? Absurd.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Commoner

Blatant disrespect.Ive not heard nice things about her so I'm not surprised.Out of all the times she could have worn that,it's now? Really?Yeah I'm going to side eye her hard
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Majesty

Here's the thing Spectator we don't know if she's worn this now (implied for the first time) or not....we rarely see what they wear for the Queen's private events. She could of been wearing this brooch for years during the Christmas season.

Why assume the worst about people? If she were a known racist then yeah I'd get it but otherwise I think it's wrong to jump to the worst conclusion.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm going to side eye her hard
I daresay she'll 'cope'...

Closed Thread