The British Royal Family: Race & Racism

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, Meghan is not unique in the BRF in being compared to Wallis.

Camilla is continually compared to her with the point being constantly made that Charles was able to do what his great uncle was not. In the debate over whether Camila should be referred to as Queen we are battered over the head with the fact that Wallis could not only not be Queen but that Edward VIII had to abdicate to marry her.

merican rather than biracial.

PetticoatLane I am not trying to find the racism in everything. Why did you bring up Kate? This discussion had nothing to do with her apart from Palmer obvious partiality to her in his reporting and tweets. Meghan was sent a racist letter, can anyone in the BRF relate to that? No they can't. There are people who dislike her solely for being biracial and no matter what she does, she will be criticised for it. Btw, Palmer's ranting about the dress was about the cost and not the style.

You really don't see the relevance in saying that the criticism which Meghan has received, which many here see as racist criticism, was and is also made against white 'English rose' Kate? If the same criticism is made of a mixed race individual and a white individual then how can racism be at its root?

There's more than enough racism in this world without people inventing it when it's not here.

Camilla has been physically attacked in a car park, Charles and Camilla were violently attacked in their car, the Queen, DoE and Charles have all been the subjects of numerous assassination attempts. I think they probably have some idea of how upsetting it might be to Meghan to receive a nasty letter.

Finally, Kate has received enormous amounts of criticism for the price of her wardrobe. Google it and any number of articles will come up on this topic. Another criticism not exclusive to Meghan.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really don't see the relevance in saying that the criticism which Meghan has received, which many here see as racist criticism, was and is also made against white 'English rose' Kate? If the same criticism is made of a mixed race individual and a white individual then how can racism be at its root?

There's more than enough racism in this world without people inventing it when it's not here.

Camilla has been physically attacked in a car park, Charles and Camilla were violently attacked in their car, the Queen, DoE and Charles have all been the subjects of numerous assassination attempts. I think they probably have some idea of how upsetting it might be to Meghan to receive a nasty letter.

Finally, Kate has received enormous amounts of criticism for the price of her wardrobe. Google it and any number of articles will come up on this topic. Another criticism not exclusive to Meghan.

Just because something happens to someone for a different reason, doesn't mean it can't happen to Meghan because of her race. Camilla has had her fair share of nastiness thanks to her role in the breakdown of the "fairytale" marriage. Last I checked, Meghan wasn't the third party in any "fairytale" relationship. To dismiss what happened to just a nasty letter is quite telling.

Both can accurately be described as American divorcées (with no children involved). So, their marital status is the same: divorced instead of single/never married (that's why Meghan is referred to as 'ms' instead of 'miss'..

Of course, the divorced status is not uncommon in the BRF but to argue that they don't have it in common is to ignore the facts.

If we are at the point of reducing people to the simple fact that they are American and divocees, then that's quite sad. Those things aren't who Meghan is as a person.

If we are at the point of reducing people to the simple fact that they are American and divocees, then that's quite sad. Those things aren't who Meghan is as a person.

If we're doing this, then I resemble that remark. Last I checked, I'm not Meghan though.

Folks if we’re going say that Meghan is so perfect that any criticism of her must be rooted in racism won’t help her in her new role.

Let’s keep some perspective here.

Folks if we’re going say that Meghan is so perfect that any criticism of her must be rooted in racism won’t help her in her new role.

Let’s keep some perspective here.
No one is saying all criticism stems from racism. However, she has received a lot of unfair criticism because of her race. I'm not so sure why that is so hard for some to admit race continues to be a big problem.

Hell, I saw people defending why the white powder incident isn't racism even when it was confirmed that Scotland Yard is treating it as a hate crime.

Last edited:
We are not saying she is perfect, we are saying she is getting unfairly criticised for literally existing. The way she walks, the way she curtsies,her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags, her speech, her breath and I can go on. Anything she does is a break of protocol. Why is that? Because she is a biracial woman who fell in love with a prince and folk can't deal with it.

Please note that several posts (and therefore subsequent responses) have been deleted or edited - let's not bring politics into an already sensitive subject.

Last edited:
We are not saying she is perfect, we are saying she is getting unfairly criticised for literally existing. The way she walks, the way she curtsies,her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags, her speech, her breath and I can go on. Anything she does is a break of protocol. Why is that? Because she is a biracial woman who fell in love with a prince and folk can't deal with it.

Have you ever visited the threads about Queen Letizia?
The criticism Meghan is getting is nothing in comparison!

Kate, Mary, Mette-Marit, Madeleine and Sofia just to mention a few other royals have gotten similar heat.

her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags

It is ludicrous to claim that those who find her choices [in that regard] are 'less than perfect' do so because of her ethnicity ! I [for one] do so because I don't like them as either a habit or aesthetically, and for NO other reason..

I fully agree that Meghan is much more than that but claiming that she doesn't have that in common with the duchess of Windsor just because you don't like that comparison is untruthful and even more onesided imo.

You again bring back all criticism to her being biracial. While part of the treatment she receives clearly is racially motivated, a large part isn't (which is proven by the fact that all (future) royals get criticized on these aspects). Is it more intense because she is biracial, probably, but for many criticasters other factors could be more important such as being an actress (not considered an appropriate job for a future royal), or because she is American (Harry should have picked a British bride), or because she is divorced (no previous relationships is ideal) or because she is self-confident (she needs to know her place) or because of her siblings (she comes from such a bad family, can't be any good)... Or a combination of the above (and know, I don't share all these sentiments). Meghan is far more than any of these boxes and I assume she wouldn't want all criticism to be boxed into the 'racism' category either.

Thanks to the latest DM story about Princess Michael of Kent Brooch-gate is back along with her racially tinged controversies. Three weeks before the wedding. Will the Kents be there? If they show up the press would bring this up during live coverage and the Markles would have ammunition about their snub - why weren't we invited and the royal relative with the racially charged brooch was able to go? The public apology could be used as a defense, but it would get some traction.

i seriously doubt that any of the wedding guests are going to be there or not be there because of what the media *might* put into play. All that matters to them really is being there to share in Harry and Meghan's wedding day. They know that the tabloids and the media and the spurned relatives are going to do what they are famous for doing regardless.

I don't see any of them giving this a second thought and they'll put on the glad rags and happy smiles and enjoy the day. ?

Phillip and Harry are reported to be very close, certainly when we have seen moments here and there they do appear to 'get on well'. There is no way the DoE is going to run around taking shots at Harry's soon to be wife. He's even said the DoE and Queen knew about Meghan early on, were the first ones to know...so yeah I don't believe it for a minute the Duke is going around calling Meghan, DOW.

LaRae

Palmer's anecdote is actually rather surprising as, based on prevailing gossip/rumor, Philip was said to be one of the older members of the RF who liked Meghan the most.

I fully agree that Meghan is much more than that but claiming that she doesn't have that in common with the duchess of Windsor just because you don't like that comparison is untruthful and even more onesided imo.

You again bring back all criticism to her being biracial. While part of the treatment she receives clearly is racially motivated, a large part isn't (which is proven by the fact that all (future) royals get criticized on these aspects). Is it more intense because she is biracial, probably, but for many criticasters other factors could be more important such as being an actress (not considered an appropriate job for a future royal), or because she is American (Harry should have picked a British bride), or because she is divorced (no previous relationships is ideal) or because she is self-confident (she needs to know her place) or because of her siblings (she comes from such a bad family, can't be any good)... Or a combination of the above (and know, I don't share all these sentiments). Meghan is far more than any of these boxes and I assume she wouldn't want all criticism to be boxed into the 'racism' category either.

Maybe I am being naive, but I honestly don't see Meghan's "race" (whatever that purely social construct is) being an issue at all for the British RF. I do think, however, that Meghan's attitude might become a problem in the future if she proves too eager to have things her way and push her own agenda within the Firm. She strikes me as someone with that kind of profile.

Last edited:
Maybe I am being naive, but I honestly don't see Meghan's "race" (whatever that purely social construct is) being an issue at all for the British RF. I do think, however, that Meghan's attitude might become a problem in the future if she proves too eager to have things her way and push her own agenda within the Firm. She strikes me as someone with that kind of profile.

Now, I see her differently than you do. I don't see a woman that would push for her own agenda but rather a woman that works well with a team. I don't see a front and center type of person but one that has the entire team in mind. Perhaps its from seeing her succeed as an actress in a cast of characters rather than in "starring" roles that gives me this impression.

Meghan take over and want to do things her way? I don't think so.

The vast majority of this criticism that

This desperation to see racism in everything Meghan related only serves to dilute the seriousness of this issue in the public's view. The old tale about crying wolf comes to mind

This desperation to not see racism in anything and to then lecture POC posters about real racism versus "fake racism" only serves to prove what many posters point out---that there is a great deal of unconscious bias still abounding today that folks refuse to see.

The racial undertones to Meghan's coverage and the commentary are clear as day to those of us who have to deal with that reality in our own lives day in and day out.

Add in the lovely dash of sexism and the classism and you have yourself quiet the soup of crap to deal with. But this road has been traveled so much on this forum and folks are entrenched so I will leave it at that.

Palmer's story regarding Meghan is IMO a low shot. I do not think the reported comment is racist, but it isn't simply an observation of Meghan being divorced and American. Wallis Simpson represents a lot more than that to the Queen and family, so I do not believe Philip meant it lightly, if he said it at all. It is obvious Palmer trying to signal something negative about how Meghan is being received by those in the family.

Palmer is one of the more respected royal journalists but if this story is true, it says less about Meghan and more about Philip who IMO has been given way too many passes on his distasteful comments because of his age.

Last edited:
Philip may like Meghan. He has a very odd sense of humour sometimes that is shared by no-one else in his family. He might regard what he is saying by calling her that as wildly funny and thinks others would too. However, things that were acceptable as a joke ten years ago (and I don't mean in a racial sense because that has never been correct) certainly aren't now. It's just that Philip, at nearly 97, doesn't realise how insulting it is.

Frankly at 96 i do think this dear ol'Philip doesn't give a damn anymore abour any political correctness (he wasn't a big fan of it anyway).
I'm not even sure he has an opinion about Meghan, positive or not. He's more, she's here, just go with it , like the pragmatical man he is.

Last edited:
If you look for racism, you will find it.
If you want to contribute something to racism, you will never fail - in your own eyes.

Express is claiming the Kents are invited to the wedding:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...dy-gabriella-michael-of-kent-black-sheeps/amp

I hope Kensington and Buckingham palaces PR teams are ready for the blowback, especially if the press comes up with corroborating evidence (i.e. photos) of those black sheep.

I've had no doubts whatsoever that the Kents would all be there at the wedding. They're family. They're not black sheep but extended members of the Queen's family.

I also don't expect anything such as the "blowback" you're suggesting. If there is, it for sure won't be in any credible coverage of this wedding but by yellow tabloids trying to make quick cash. Express is one of them. I don't give that publication the time of day.

I've had no doubts whatsoever that the Kents would all be there at the wedding. They're family. They're not black sheep but extended members of the Queen's family.

I also don't expect anything such as the "blowback" you're suggesting. If there is, it for sure won't be in any credible coverage of this wedding but by yellow tabloids trying to make quick cash. Express is one of them. I don't give that publication the time of day.

I believe the black sheep she was referring to wasn't the Kents themselves, but reports that Princess Michael had two black sheep she called Serena and Venus (as in the African American tennis stars) which has become yet another example of Princess Michael's, at best, naively politically incorrect behavior regarding people of African ancestry.

I believe the black sheep she was referring to wasn't the Kents themselves, but reports that Princess Michael had two black sheep she called Serena and Venus (as in the African American tennis stars) which has become yet another example of Princess Michael's, at best, naively politically incorrect behavior regarding people of African ancestry.

Yes, I suppose Princess Michael found the naming of the sheep amusing. I wonder what her husband and children thought?

OK. Color me ignorant but I had heard absolutely nothing about the black sheep at all.

Its very possible that naming her sheep Serena and Venus wasn't actually a slur but she named them after the tennis stars that she admires. Its well known that Princess Michael enjoys tennis and is often seen at Wimbeldon. I believe all the Kents have been involved in tennis for many years with The Duke of Kent being president of All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon that this story is in any way racist on Princess Michael's part. It may *seem* to be racial but we have to look at who has dredged this story up and realize how long ago these sheep with those names existed.

We don't even know if this storie of sheep is true ...
Stirring the Pot much ? Again Princess Michael is a good client ...

Seeing racism in everything negative directed at a person of color does nothing but distracts when real racism occurs.
The straight out of Compton headline was racism, the anthrax was racism, tabloids throwing a fit over a wedding cake is prejudice against Meghan for being American not because she is half black. Criticism of her clothes and hair is just common sense and largely not motivated by race.

OK. Color me ignorant but I had heard absolutely nothing about the black sheep at all.

Its very possible that naming her sheep Serena and Venus wasn't actually a slur but she named them after the tennis stars that she admires. Its well known that Princess Michael enjoys tennis and is often seen at Wimbeldon. I believe all the Kents have been involved in tennis for many years with The Duke of Kent being president of All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon that this story is in any way racist on Princess Michael's part. It may *seem* to be racial but we have to look at who has dredged this story up and realize how long ago these sheep with those names existed.

It was in the article from Lady Gabriella's ex boyfriend from over 10 years ago, that came out in Vanity recently. One can only imagine how much of that we should actually believe.

I agree with you, that even if the story is true, there is a good chance it was not meant as any racial slur. Princess Michael is an avid tennis fan.

Honestly it seems the ex was just jumping on the 'racism card' bandwagon surrounding the wedding. The fact he is East Indian, and was around the 'supposed racist' member of the family. His timing seems perfect.

No, not at all. As was said, Kate has received exactly the same and even more vitriol. Race has nothing to do with it, anyone who steps onto the royalty pedestal is going to get knocked down, it's part of the price of privilege. They've done it to all royal brides, nothing special about Meghan at all in this regard.

If a person can't comment on their honest opinions about Meghan without others bringing up her race and insinuating that the critique is racially motivated, then that is its own kind of racism IMO.

In regards to Princess Michael of Kent, it’s more likely people will believe the sheep thing because this isn’t her first case of being, at the minimum, racially insensitive. When I hear multiple incidents with similar characteristics about the same person, I tend to give some creditbility to the story. Whether or not someone believes Gabriella’s ex boyfriend telling this now is lacking class is a different story, but he did at least have the guts to put his name on it rather than some unknown sources.

Closed for moderator review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom