The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that while Lucan treated her abominably, she did have mental helath problems, which surfaced at times. He tried to take the children from her, but after his disappearance, she did end up in differences and rows with the children..

How sad the Queen must be these days.

LaRae

:previous: Indeed, she was some 24 years younger than her husband. IIRC the late Earl of Stair was as old as his mother-in-law.

Lady Ursula Isabel d'Abo 1916-2017

_. The Lady Ursula d'Abo, who died 2 November, 2017, aged 100, was one of the last surviving aristocrats to participate at the Coronation of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth, in May, 1937.

As the 20 year-old Lady Ursula Manners she acted as one of Queen Elizabeth's trainbearers in Westminster Abbey, and later appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, on May 12 1937.

Ursula Isabel Manners was born 8 November, 1916, the elder daughter of the 9th Duke of Rutland (1886-1940), by his wife the former Kathleen Tennant.
Peerage News: Lady Ursula Isabel d'Abo 1916-2017

Her son married Chris O'Neill's sister.

Lady Ursula Isabel Manners
F, #16002, b. 8 November 1916, d. 2 November 2017
Person Page

The dowager Countess was considerably younger than her late husband the late 13th Earl!

Her husband's obituary
The Earl of Stair | HeraldScotland

Last edited by a moderator:
Estranged for THIRTY years, yet they have the temerity to attend their Mothers Funeral !

It was late lady Lucan who didn't want to see her children. She had mental problems.

OK. That's something I would never have dreamed of no matter what I was smoking at the time. It, though, is quite a unique way around male primogeniture though. :lol:

The couple have been estranged for sometime ,I never knew he was married to the green environmentalist Tracy Ward.

Jean Frances Woodroffe, CVO 1923-2017

_. Mrs Jean Frances Woodroffe, CVO, who died 7 December, 2017, aged 94, was a Lady-in-Waiting to the Queen (when Princess Elizabeth, from 1945) and served as an Extra Woman of the Bedchamber to Her Majesty from 1954. Mrs Woodroffe was a cousin of the Queen by marriage and one of her oldest friends.
Peerage News: Jean Frances Woodroffe, CVO 1923-2017

A Scottish duke has been handed a rare honour by being made a Knight of the Thistle by the Queen.

Richard Scott, the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry, becomes a "sir" following his appointment to the Order of the Thistle, the greatest order of chivalry in Scotland.

It honours Scottish men and women who have held public office or contributed in a particular way to public life.

Duke of Buccleuch made Knight of the Thistle by the Queen - BBC News

Princess Margaret was his godmother I think and was a page to the queen mother?

Browen ,Lady Astor dies at December 28. She was the wife of William,3nd Viscount Astor

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/01/bronwen-lady-astor-obituary

Lady Lucan's son 'applauds' her after Shelter donation | Daily Mail Online

Lady Lucan son talking about the decision of his mother

"Lack of good manners" the reason that Lady Lucan cut her children from her will

Lady Lucan's blast at her offspring from beyond the grave | Daily Mail Online

Scotland Yard revealed they believe Lord Lucan is ‘still very possibly alive’

Police say Lord Lucan is very possibly alive | Daily Mail Online

RIP,the dowager Viscountess Astor was reputedly one of the most beautiful women of her age.

Also his grandfather, the 8th Duke of Buccleuch, was the older brother of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester - she was therefore his great-aunt.

Surely she could have left something to her children while leaving the bulk of the fortune to a charity?

From what I have read (one or two articles regarding her will), she was estranged from her children and didn't have a lot of money to leave them. And according to the article, the home that she lived in was part of a trust ( I assume that will benefit the current Earl), so I think any and all money will be earned via the auction.

What a needless tragedy! The murder of Sandra Rivett, as well as the disappearance of Lord Lucan had a lasting affect on both the late Lady Lucan and her children. I've read that things were never the same for her or the children.

Last edited:

Richard Scott, the Duke of Buccleuch was Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from 1967 to 1969.

From what I have read (one or two articles regarding her will), she was estranged from her children and didn't have a lot of money to leave them. And according to the article, the home that she lived in was part of a trust ( I assume that will benefit the current Earl), so I think any and all money will be earned via the auction.

What a needless tragedy! The murder of Sandra Rivett, as well as the disappearance of Lord Lucan had a lasting affect on both the late Lady Lucan and her children. I've read that things were never the same for her or the children.
She wasn't rich perhaps by aristocratic standards but she wasn't poor... and Im sure she had some personal items that she could have left as keepsakes to her children. but she was estranged from them. I think that her mental health was never too stable, even before the murder, and Lucan was trying to emphasise that, in order to get the children.

She had almost 800K which is not too shabby and a nice donation for the charity. Shame about the death duties and the fact that she didn't have a relationship with her children.

Weird question about death duties for our UK members...if the deceased is donating a portion (or all) of their estate to a charity...are they excused for having to pay the tax?

Yesterday, February 21, Viscountess Weymouth attended the Brits Awards 2018 and the After Party in London:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:

Anne-Sofie, Countess of Lucan, attended the Balthazar launch afternoon tea collaboration with FLOWERBX in London on March 9:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Viscountess Weymouth celebrates her 32nd Birthday and one of her guests was Lady Kitty Spencer

Viscountess Weymouth's glamorous birthday party at Longleat | Daily Mail Online

The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire during a photocall ahead of the re-opening of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, following the largest renovation of the estate since the 1820s, which has taken ten years and cost &pound 32 million.

http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:134070962:1800x650:w?v=5aaa4def&m=cjejgkjm
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:134070960:1800x650:w?v=5aaa4def&m=pjabehmj
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:134070959:1800x650:w?v=5aaa4def&m=iebhjaed

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...House-unveils-huge-33million-gold-revamp.html

Back
Top Bottom