The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How sad. I so enjoyed her books on gardening and Chatsworth...and chickens!

Sad news indeed, though her mind wasn't what it used to be for a while. I read her 'Wait for me'book only a few months ago, she had an interesting life indeed and was wonderfully witty. And always protective of her sisters, esp. of Diana Mosley who needed the most protecting perhaps.

The famous portrait of the Duchess and her chickens:
http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltld73iwss1qh9jr9o1_500.jpg

I have just heard the news. Very very sad. She was on of my favourite Mitford sisters. A wonderful lady and a fascinating life.

It is indeed sad news but she's gone on to a better place now.

I'm really saddened to hear of her passing. Like many people I have long been fascinated by the Mitford sisters, their lives and times. It really is the end of an era. Rest in peace, Debo. !

The funeral service for Deborah, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire will be held at 12 noon
at St Peter’s Church, Edensor, DE45 1PH on Thursday 2 October 2014.

Everyone is welcome to attend.
There will be refreshments at Chatsworth after the service.

No memorial service will be held, as were her express instructions.
Donations in her memory to the Addington Fund and/or Helen’s Trust will be much appreciated.

The funeral cortège will leave Chatsworth at approximately 11.15am.

Duke of Devonshire
http://www.chatsworth.org/deborah-devonshire

I'm really saddened to hear of her passing. Like many people I have long been fascinated by the Mitford sisters, their lives and times. It really is the end of an era. Rest in peace, Debo. !

I'm fascinated by the Mitford sisters too though I honestly cannot say that I admired any of them, with the exception of the dowager Duchess. She was an amazing woman who lived an amazing life. She was one of the last of a dying breed of aristocrat in England, if not THE last.

RIP.

Last edited:
She truly was a one off. But I am disappointed in the lack of coverage her death is getting. I really thought some Mitford Sister documentaries would be repeated.

I remember she released a cook book a few years ago but then revealed she hasn't cooked for 60 years :D

The Mitford sisters' lives were far more scandalous than any Downton Abbey plot | Daily Mail Online
The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire died this week at the age of 94 bringing an end to the fascinating life and times of the Mitford sisters.

Deborah Vivien Cavendish and her siblings moved in the same circles as Winston Churchill, John F Kennedy, Adolf Hitler and Evelyn Waugh and epitomised a privileged and glamorous aristocratic life that no longer exists.

The six daughters - Nancy, Pam, Diana, Unity, Decca and Debo - born between 1905 and 1920 to Lord Redesdale and his wife Sydney, were the Kardashians of their day in terms of the public interest their antics aroused.

Last edited:
They were interesting indeed. But I had no idea that one of them still lived until now. :cool:

How very sad, may she RIP. :sad: I too like the late Duchess – like a few members here she is my favourite out of the Mitford Sisters (I quite like Nancy, but don't particularly care for Unity and Diana, and I don't know enough about Jessica to form a general opinion on her), as she did seem down to earth and just a nice person in general. I would have loved to have met her. I thought how The Daily Mail compared the Mitford Sisters to the Kardashians (of all people?) is unnecessary. To me, they couldn't be any different. :ermm:

My grandfather's cousin lives near Chatsworth, and she used to visit it a lot with her mother, who bumped into the Duchess as she had an accident with her wheelchair. According to my grandfather's cousin, the Duchess was feeding her chickens until she noticed my grandfather's cousin's mother and asked her if she was alright and if she needed any help. I thought that was such a sweet gesture, as most of the aristocracy of her generation come across as rather snobbish to me.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Chatsworth and the public now that the Duchess has passed away, as I do believe it was her idea to open it to everyone. It would be sad to see it close so I hope the Duke will keep it open – it makes for a lovely day out, and if anyone here is visiting England and the Derbyshire area, I would definitely recommend it to you. I have forgotten the name of it, but the Duchess's childhood home in the Cotswolds is available to stay in for holidays - I went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed that, too.

I thought how The Daily Mail compared the Mitford Sisters to the Kardashians (of all people?) is unnecessary. To me, they couldn't be any different. :ermm:
The comparison was about the public interest, that the Mitford sisters got in their day. But yeah, we're talking about two entirely different eras. And I guess there are both similarities and differences.

I can't see Chatsworth closing to the public. All stately homes need the income. Besides, the Duke inherited years ago and has invested a lot of time and capital into having the estate open since.

As for the comparisons between the Mitfords and the Kardashians, to me the biggest difference is that Nancy ( and to a lesser extent, Deborah) was a genuinely talented author. As far as I can tell, the only talent the Kardashians have is for self publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

JFK's connection to the Cavendishs- his sister Kathleen known as Kick married Billy the older brother of Andrew but Billy died in WWII which caused Andrew and Deborah to become the Duke/Duchess later on. Kick died in a plane crash couple of years after the war and is buried at Chatsworth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Cavendishes maintained close ties to the Kennedy family after the death of Kathleen, Lady Hartington in the plane crash. JFK, RFK and Sen. Edward (Ted) Kennedy and other family members made visits to their sister's grave at Edensor, Chatsworth. Andrew and Deborah as Duke and Duchess of Devonshire attended the funerals of John and Robert Kennedy.

JFK's connection to the Cavendishs- his sister Kathleen known as Kick married Billy the older brother of Andrew but Billy died in WWII which caused Andrew and Deborah to become the Duke/Duchess later on. Kick died in a plane crash couple of years after the war and is buried at Chatsworth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
At the time of her death, she was romantically involved to another British aristocrat, the 8th Earl Fitzwilliam, and they were thinking about marrying. Unfortunately they both died in 1948, in a plane crash in France.

Are you talking about Kathleen Kennedy? I thought she was already married to a Brit at the time the plane went down...?

LaRae

Are you talking about Kathleen Kennedy? I thought she was already married to a Brit at the time the plane went down...?

LaRae

She was a widow. Her husband, the Marquis of Hartington (William or Billy and older brother of Deborah's husband Andrew) was killed in 1944 while with his regiment in Northern France.

Video:
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall have joined the family, friends and staff of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, at her funeral in Edensor today-
Home - ITNSource News

What a great send off! She was obviously loved and admired. The DM is always good for great photos. I had either not known or not remembered how beautiful she was when young. Take a look at their write up if only for the photos. Chatsworth looked amazing today!

Andrew PArker Bowles was also there, representing the PRincess Royal. From the CC

Her Royal Highness was represented by Brigadier Andrew Parker-Bowles at the Funeral of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire in St Peter’s Church, Edensor, Bakewell, Derbeyshire, today.

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Princess Alexandra was represented by Lieutenant Colonel Gordon Birdwood at the Funeral of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire which was held in St. Peter's Church, Edensor, Bakewell, Derbyshire (from the CC)

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]The Dowager Duchess[/FONT][/FONT] and Sir Angus Ogilvy were second cousins.

Thomas Clifford, 8th Baron de Clifford (1414-1455), who commanded the Lancastrian vanguard, had earned a distinguished reputation as a veteran of the French wars and for his success on the Scottish border.

Henry Holland, 3rd Duke of Exeter, (1430-1475) married Anne of York, the sister of King Edward IV.

How did Nottingham become part of the title of the Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham?

The Viscount of Massereene and Ferrard is a title of the Skeffington family.
How did Ferrard become part of the title?

The Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood family has the title of Marquess of Dufferin and Ava.
How did Ava become part of the title?

Arthur Valerian, the 8th Duke's demise leaves a vacancy in the Order of the Garter.
Is there a strict timeline in which this vacancy must be filled?

No - there are actually 3 vacancies now and it is up to The Queen to fill them when she comes up with suitable candidates remembering that royals don't count in the 24.

The new Duke is also a candidate, as most, if not all the previous dukes have had the Garter so it is possible that The Queen will pass it on to the new Duke - maybe this year, maybe next (would be nice this year so he had it for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo but maybe that would be too soon for him).

It would be nice if the Garter was given to Charles, the 9th Duke for it would add historic significance to the 200th anniversary of Waterloo.

The Earl of Lindsey and Abingdon is a title of the Bertie family.
How did Abingdon become part of the title?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom