The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #981  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:43 AM
eya eya is offline
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 9,217
"The friends trip to Paris that led to 9bn romance"

Duke of Westminster and his girlfriend are lifelong pals | Daily Mail Online
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #982  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6
How much money do you think the Duke's sisters inherited?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #983  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinedescoeurs View Post
How much money do you think the Duke's sisters inherited?
The Code Napoléon which is the base for most inheritance systems in Europe (all children of a deceased person have the right on a so-called "legal portion") was never established in the UK. There the inheritance rules are completely different from France, Germany, the Benelux, the Scandinavian countries, etc. In the UK it still is possible that the eldest son of a Peer gets the bulk of an estate. Often this is balanced with a regulation to compensate siblings, but not always. Look at Diana: her brother received the whole estate. His sisters probably have inherited something, but it is clear the bulk is with the Earl.

That is why UK aristocrats often still own the historic estates: on the Continent, after each passing away, the estate becomes fragmented over various heirs.

Many Houses, for an example the Bernadottes and the Orange-Nassaus have prevented fragmenration by placing all historic properties, archives, jewels, inventories, artworks, in the ownership of family foundations. As these are no natural persons, these can not die and therefore inheritance rules and succession taxation is not in question there.

Possibly the young Duke of Westminster inherited all but he has to pay an allowance when his sisters leave the parental home.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #984  
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In the UK it still is possible that the eldest son of a Peer gets the bulk of an estate.
Does the new Duke really need $12 billion to look after the estate?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #985  
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,309
He inherited it. Properties in the best areas of London with steady rising prices. 1 million or 12 billion, he was the heir and he was lucky to be the late Duke's son. That is all what we can say.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #986  
Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,108
It's not like his sisters were not also taken care financially.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #987  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
He inherited it. Properties in the best areas of London with steady rising prices. 1 million or 12 billion, he was the heir and he was lucky to be the late Duke's son. That is all what we can say.

Not just London; he also inherited properties in Paris and in Spain.
The Grosvenor Group has a wide reach.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #988  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
While the main estate, the homes and title and such were remained in tact and left to Hugh, by no means were his sister's left out.

Duc, there may be no law requiring it, but all three daughters were not left out. It was reported they were left substantial trust funds. They may not be as rich as their brother, but they would definitely be substantially rich in their own right. There was talk about inheritance tax having to be revisited because of them. The way the estate was set up, and the money for his adult daughters being in trusts, means they have to pay very minimal inheritance tax.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #989  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 AM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Code Napoléon which is the base for most inheritance systems in Europe (all children of a deceased person have the right on a so-called "legal portion") was never established in the UK. There the inheritance rules are completely different from France, Germany, the Benelux, the Scandinavian countries, etc. In the UK it still is possible that the eldest son of a Peer gets the bulk of an estate. Often this is balanced with a regulation to compensate siblings, but not always. Look at Diana: her brother received the whole estate. His sisters probably have inherited something, but it is clear the bulk is with the Earl.



That is why UK aristocrats often still own the historic estates: on the Continent, after each passing away, the estate becomes fragmented over various heirs.



Many Houses, for an example the Bernadottes and the Orange-Nassaus have prevented fragmenration by placing all historic properties, archives, jewels, inventories, artworks, in the ownership of family foundations. As these are no natural persons, these can not die and therefore inheritance rules and succession taxation is not in question there.



Possibly the young Duke of Westminster inherited all but he has to pay an allowance when his sisters leave the parental home.


In Sweden, although the old system of the fideicommis was abolished by law in the 1960s there is a possibility for estates to apply for a dispensation to continue with the old system to keep the most culturally significant estates together. The result is that some of the countries biggest estates & collections are still inherited according to the old laws from the 1700s. The last time it happened, according to my knowledge, is when the royal Galliera inheritance had its terms changed so that it follows the monarch instead of according to the rules of male primogeniture as before.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #990  
Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
While the main estate, the homes and title and such were remained in tact and left to Hugh, by no means were his sister's left out.

Duc, there may be no law requiring it, but all three daughters were not left out. It was reported they were left substantial trust funds. They may not be as rich as their brother, but they would definitely be substantially rich in their own right. There was talk about inheritance tax having to be revisited because of them. The way the estate was set up, and the money for his adult daughters being in trusts, means they have to pay very minimal inheritance tax.
I am sure that the siblings of all Dukes of Westminster are well-cared for. Like I am sure that the siblings of all Earls Spencer will have a care-free life. But that is not the same as a legal regulation which says that each child is entitled to an equal share, of course.

When the late Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands died, his inheritance was divided by his four legal daughters ánd his two daughters out of wedlock. All of them were legally entitled to 1/6th of the inheritance. No matter the eldest daughter is Queen Beatrix and the extramarital daughter is a lady somewhere in Paris or in the USA, all of them had 1/6th. That is a rigid system. The Anglosaxon systems leave much more room for personal decisions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #991  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 AM
duke of poliganc's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: cairo, Egypt
Posts: 604
Ummm.....lady Mary Charteris daughter of James Charteris, 13th Earl of Wemyss!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #992  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am sure that the siblings of all Dukes of Westminster are well-cared for. Like I am sure that the siblings of all Earls Spencer will have a care-free life. But that is not the same as a legal regulation which says that each child is entitled to an equal share, of course.

When the late Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands died, his inheritance was divided by his four legal daughters ánd his two daughters out of wedlock. All of them were legally entitled to 1/6th of the inheritance. No matter the eldest daughter is Queen Beatrix and the extramarital daughter is a lady somewhere in Paris or in the USA, all of them had 1/6th. That is a rigid system. The Anglosaxon systems leave much more room for personal decisions.
What you said was He Inherited IT.

No, they inherited it. Not equal shares, but they all inherited their fathers fortune. You make it sound like he inherited it all and his sisters get an allowance as a consolation prize.

I know I. Your ideal world sons inherit everything. I believe you even suggested Spanish daughters who are heirs should not claim their title or estate as they should bow in recognition their brothers are the rightful lords but fortunately many men like the late Duke think all their kids are entitled to a share. Ancestral homes and money remain with the duke, the rest gets shared with all siblings.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #993  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:36 AM
Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Blue Ocean, United States
Posts: 174
Good God. She cannot be serious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #994  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 AM
duke of poliganc's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: cairo, Egypt
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
Good God. She cannot be serious.
lol , i think you should see her wedding pictures .

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #995  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Blue Ocean, United States
Posts: 174
I had forgotten her wedding 'dress'. She should have worn all the jewels in the family vault to add some cover to it! Apparently, she does not care to 'hide her light under a bushel'.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #996  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,372
Well that's a bit tacky isn't it.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #997  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Blue Ocean, United States
Posts: 174
Only a bit?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #998  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,370
Given that her bust is so tiny why does she keep trying to draw attention to it. I like the amethyst necklace...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #999  
Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,999
Quote:
Scandals have long been as much of a feature of certain aristocratic families as grand titles and vast, crumbling houses.

Yet Frederick Hervey, the 8th Marquess of Bristol, can claim a heritage so calamitous it puts other disreputable lineages firmly in the shade.

His father Victor, a playboy known as The Reptile, was married three times, went to jail for jewel theft, and briefly found employment as an arms dealer.
Read more: How millionaire is rebuilding his family's fortune | Daily Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1000  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM
eya eya is offline
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 9,217
"A spectacular dining set given to the Duke of Wellington to celebrate his victory over Napoleon is to go on on display for the first time as it would have been used, laid out in full 200 years on. For the first time visitors to Apsley House, Wellington's London home, will be able to see part of the collection of 400 gilded pieces set out on the dining room table in the Waterloo Gallery."

Duke of Wellington's 400-piece gilt dinner set laid out for first time


"When Lady Charlotte Wellesley married billionaire financier Alejandro Santo Domingo last year in front of royals and celebrities, no expense was spared.
The newlyweds were also not shy when it came to splashing out £20million acquiring four Notting Hill flats as they made plans for London love-nest.
But it seems there are some things money can't buy after a planning application to turn the four properties into a single 10-bed luxury home was rejected."
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Picture Thread james British Royals 65 11-09-2017 05:29 AM
The Royal Family of Spain Picture Thread, Part 1 Anna_R Royal Family of Spain 116 10-08-2017 12:53 PM
British Royal Family Current Events 2: November 2005-June 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 187 06-11-2006 02:10 AM
Infanta Leonor, News and Pictures Part 1: November 2005 - February 2006 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 192 02-18-2006 07:11 AM




Popular Tags
austria birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge eveningwear earl of snowdon family french general news gloucester hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta margarita infanta sofia italy iñaki urdangarín juan urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy morgan news nobel 2017 prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince liam prince nicholas prince oscar prince sebastian princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary casual style princess mary current events princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofia eveningwear princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes hats queen maxima queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge fashion vatican victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises