The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh how marvelous!! Once I got into that library, I'd be happily in my own element for years. Books, books and more books and probably some very rare editions of books too!

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-21-2016, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke and Duchess of Norfolk move back in together from separate wings of their castle | Daily Mail Online

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...british-estate

Old 08-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Northumberland has helped to launch a new set of stamps to mark the 300th anniversary of the birth of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown.

The stamps showcase some of the best loved surviving examples of Brown’s work, and celebrate his contribution to landscape gardening.

Alnwick Castle, the most northerly example of the landscape gardener’s work, features on the £1.05 stamp.
Read more: Stamp of approval for new postage - Northumberland Gazette
Old 08-23-2016, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do the grandchildren of Baron Robert and Baroness Jane Fellowes bear the style of "The Honourable"?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Do the grandchildren of Baron Robert and Baroness Jane Fellowes bear the style of "The Honourable"?
No, only their children do. Their eldest son will also never inherit his father's title because it is a life peerage.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 AM
Heir Apparent

No. Not even when his son has children. Robert is only a baron, and a life peer. Like the younger sons of earls (higher titles all sons are lords), all children of viscounts and barons simply are honorable. It doesn't extend to grandchildren. If he was a hereditary peer, Alexander's kids would be 'the honorable' only when Robert died and Alex inherited.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

At The Duke of Bedford's estate, in aid of Prince William's charity, Tusk.

Quote:
Woburn Safari Park is holding a new fundraising fortnight for charity Tusk with activities that include a rare twilight walk into the Duke of Bedford’s private estate with engendered Asian elephants.
More: VIDEO: Endangered Asian elephants roam Duke’s private estate - Dunstable Today
Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Nobility

Transgender Inheritance: How Does Gender Transition Affect Titles? - Tatler

Quote:
Then came the Gender Recognition Act (GRA) 2004, which allows them to be fully recognised in their new gender by the law, provided they meet certain criteria. But the lawyers who thrashed out the act must have debated the issue of trans toffs, because they made one exception. Section 16 states: 'The fact that a person's gender has become the acquired gender under this Act (a) does not affect the descent of any peerage or dignity or title of honour, and (b) does not affect the devolution of any property.'

[…]

An obituary reported that 'Dr Forbes-Sempill went about her change of gender in the quietest possible manner. She applied to the Sheriff of Aberdeen, and acquired a warrant for birth re-registration. Then, on 12 September 1952, there appeared a notice in the advertisement columns of Aberdeen's The Press and Journal, which stated that henceforth Dr Forbes-Sempill wished to be known as Dr Ewan Forbes-Sempill.' Three weeks later, he married his housekeeper, Isabella 'Pat' Mitchell.

[…] it was assumed that Ewan would inherit the family baronetcy, Forbes of Craigievar. But a cousin, John Forbes-Sempill, challenged Ewan's succession on the grounds that that title could only pass to a male heir. The case was taken to the Scottish Court of Session, which ruled in favour of Ewan. The cousin fought on until, in 1968, James Callaghan, the then home secretary, upheld the Scottish court's decision: he ordered that the name of Sir Ewan Forbes of Craigievar be entered in the Roll of Baronets.

In theory, this should have set a precedent, but details of the case were kept secret for years, meaning it could have no bearing on subsequent legal rulings. Indeed, official records have only just been released to the National Archives of Scotland, ending a 50-year mystery over the case of Dr Forbes-Sempill.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Majesty

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dience-kremlin

Eton pupils enjoy private audience with Vladimir Putin at Kremlin - beating Theresa May to it

3rd Viscount Thurso's younger son was one of the Eton boys, who visited Kremlin.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Feud between Lord Bath and his son halts plans to host Glastonbury on their family estate | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Lady Lucan haggles over cash for home movies of her late husband | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Given her really tragic life story, that's a mean spirited headline IMO.

Anyone read the bit below about James Middleton?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't Rochdale part of Diana's bloodline? That name is familiar.

LaRae
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Rutland reveals the crippling cost of running Belvoir Castle | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen appoints Duchess of Norfolk as one of her representatives* | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Battle for Badminton millions as*Marquess of Worcester's new love spells divorce | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

The oldest viscountcy is Hereford. Viscounts do not use "of" in their titles. However, there is an exception: the Viscount of Arbutnot.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Lady Charlotte, the daughter of the Duke of Wellington, had her husband Alejandro Santo Domingo by her side as she co-hosted the DKMS 2016 Blood Ball at Diamond Horseshoe in NYC.

http://us.hellomagazine.com/images/s...allery_3_5.jpg
Old 11-07-2016, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Letter reveals the rage of Lord Nelson's lover Lady Hamilton after she was forced to flee Britain for France following his death | Daily Mail Online

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility