The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Nobility

An Ard Ri;

I saw the article in the Irish Times today too. In the strictest sense though, Sir John was a titled commoner, rather than a member of the nobility.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Adrian Berry, 4th Viscount Camrose has died at the age of 78.

Viscount CamroseÂ*– obituary

Old 04-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke remains the richest man in Northumberland - Northumberland Gazette
Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Viscountess Weymouth introduces us to the weird and wonderful world of Longleat | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Is there any update on the robbery at Goodwood?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Aristocrat angered locals by putting an Lake District mountain on sale for £1.25m | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-25-2016, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Sir Francis Drake's family plan to sell Armada Portrait of Elizabeth I | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duchess of Rutland has said that it is right that inheritance passes through the male line and is ‘delighted’ that her daughter will not inherit the dukedom because it involves so much hard work.

Emma Manners, said she did not want her eldest child Violet, 22, to bear the responsibility of heading the estate even though she considers herself to be CEO of Belvoir Castle and its surrounding parkland.

Speaking at The Hay Festival, the Duchess said that if was right that her fourth child Charles, 16, the Marques of Granby should inherit.

“The aristocracy is a bit like being a farmer’s daughter from the Welsh hills, everything goes to the boys, quite rightly, but in our case to the oldest son,” she said.

“Like any parent a Duke will pass his fortune through the generations but his title as we know has to be inherited by the son. The English peerage and Violet has said ‘thank goodness for that mum. I know how hard it is.’

“Charles will inherit and the titles and land go with that. But it’s a responsibility and it’s a responsibility that I am delighted my daughter doesn’t have to have.”
Read more: Duchess of Rutland: I'm glad my daughter will not inherit dukedom*
Old 06-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Manners' heritage for son the duke while daughters are passed over | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 06-18-2016, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm gonna let my bird do his stuff on that link.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Wednesday, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be guests of honour at a gala dinner at Houghton Hall, Norfolk.

The event, entitled A Taste of Norfolk, is being hosted by The Marquess and Marchioness of Cholmondeley, with all guests invited as a special thank you for supporting the nook appeal.

The Duchess of Cambridge launched the Nook Appeal in 2014 and is Royal Patron of EACH.

William and Catherine are friends of the couple, Kate was seen chatting with Marchioness of Cholmondeley at the horse trials a few weeks ago.

Houghton Hall is magnificent and for those not familiar with the family I provide a few links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...f_Cholmondeley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houghton_Hall

Person Page David George Philip Cholmondeley, 7th Marquess of Cholmondeley
Old 06-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry appointed as High Steward of Westminster Abbey

Quote:
The Dean and Chapter is delighted to announce the appointment of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry as High Steward of Westminster Abbey. He will take up the appointment in October 2016 when Lord Luce retires after five years' service in the role on the occasion of his 80th birthday.

The office of High Steward has its origins in the 16th century, following the dissolution of the monastery in 1540. After the later dissolution of the Marian monastery, the office was revived in 1561 and held in succession by private secretaries of the Monarch, William Cecil and Robert Cecil, over a long period.

The High Steward had a significant role until the establishment of modern local government in Westminster a little over a hundred years ago in maintaining the local highways, byways and bridges, on behalf of the Dean and Chapter, as instructed in Queen Elizabeth I's Charter of 1560.The High Steward, the most senior honorary appointment of the Dean and Chapter, acts principally as an external adviser to the Dean and Chapter and is present at many of the most important services held in the Abbey.

This is not the first time a Duke of Buccleuch has served as High Steward. The fifth Duke was High Steward from 1842 to 1884.
Read more: Westminster Abbey » Duke of Buccleuch appointed as High Steward of Westminster Abbey
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lord Mayhew dies, aged 86

Former NI Secretary Lord Mayhew dies, aged 86 - BBC News
Old 06-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Volunteers and carers honoured for their work - event hosted by the Duchess of Northumberland
http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/local-news/all-news/volunteers-and-carers-honoured-for-their-work-1-4161065 …
Old 07-02-2016, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The surreal and colourful life of Baron Berners

https://t.co/nfn3QLnDuA
Old 07-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Discussion about the recent Knatchbull wedding has been made in the The Battenberg - Mountbattens thread.

As such, several posts here have been deleted as they are repetitive of that discussion.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Earl of Devon invites people to celebrate National Cream Tea Day at his home!

Earl of Devon invites people to celebrate National Cream Tea Day at his home | Torquay Herald Express
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Nobility

The government will consider courtesy titles for husbands of female peers and for same-sex spouses and civil partners of peers.

Peers: Females:Written question - HL662 - UK Parliament

Husbands of Baronesses in House of Lords could be given their own title rather than plain ‘Mr’, Government says

Quote:
Baroness Deech, who has been campaigning for spouses of female peers to get a title […] said: “The women I have talked to all say the same thing: their husbands really don’t care. It is we women who see it as an issue of status versus partnership.”

She added: “I am saying that the sharing of titles is a matter of expressing partnership – because if you speak to men, and you say why is your wife called lady, when you are a lord, they say ‘well she supported me’.

“She is my partner. Well it works both ways. Either do away with the whole thing or if you keep the lord and the sharing it should be based on partnership.

“It would express the fact that in general the husbands or partners of the women who have titles like Baroness have been just as supportive and share in their life stories as the other way round.”

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility