The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently, there is an(other) American who could expect to become a British peer within the next few decades, his name is Bill Capell (full name: William Jennings Capell (see his wikipedia-page)). He is a 4th cousin once removed from the current earl of Essex and as such his heir presumptive - his son Kevin is his heir apparent. He is a retired grocery clerk from California (Yuba City) - maybe he could meet up with the newest peer living in California to learn some of the robes :)

Apparently, there is an(other) American who could expect to become a British peer within the next few decades, his name is Bill Capell (full name: William Jennings Capell (see his wikipedia-page)). He is a 4th cousin once removed from the current earl of Essex and as such his heir presumptive - his son Kevin is his heir apparent. He is a retired grocery clerk from California (Yuba City) - maybe he could meet up with the newest peer living in California to learn some of the robes :)

It looks like the family lost their estate in the early 1920s and never recovered. Always sad to see a landless peer, especially when he might be a grocery clerk in California.

:previous: yes the estate's possessions were sold off and the house demolished in 1927.

Well the future earl is in good company. He and Harry are not alone with titles making their home in North America.

The current Earl of Orkney lives in Manitoba. He is a retired professor. Like the future Earl of Essex, he inherited the title from a distant cousin (3rd). He is also an heir to the Viscount Bollingbroke though more distant. He did live in England and lecture there once upon a time but he is Canadian born and raised. As is his son and heir Oliver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_St_John,_9th_Earl_of_Orkney

The Marques of Ely lives three hours south of me in Calgary. He too worked in the school system till retirement. Like Essex, the physical estate does not belong to the family any more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tottenham,_9th_Marquess_of_Ely

Manitoba seems popular. Viscount Galway lives there as well (again family estate sold). He is a Canadian Olympic rower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Monckton

It looks like the family lost their estate in the early 1920s and never recovered. Always sad to see a landless peer, especially when he might be a grocery clerk in California.

Fortunes come & go I guess. The story of who’s up & who’s down makes for interesting social history. For every family like the Spencers of Althorp who made their fortune from sheep farming there was an ancient dynasty on the way to obscurity. Hardy's great novel Tess of the d'Urbevilles touches on this.

You might be interested in this link to John Batemans’ well known 1883 registry of land ownership.

https://archive.org/details/greatlandownerso00bateuoft

At this time over 80% of the land was owned by just 7000 members of the nobility & gentry. Indeed a quarter was held by just 1600 of them. In Scotland the figures were even more stark & in Ireland many of the landowners were absentees.

Land ownership & management was a very contentious issue in C19th & early C20th Britain & Ireland – indeed it remains so particulary in Scotland. Rural unrest existed throughout C19th England – the Tolpuddle Martyrs were transported to Australia for instance. There was the Land War in Ireland. There were the Highland clearances in Scotland.

What’s interesting about this book is that it was published just on the cusp of huge changes in land ownership. Many aristocratic estates began to be broken up because of the late C19th agricultural depression, a revolution in land ownership accelerated by death duties & the cataclysm of WW1.

There were some dramatic sales – in 1911 the Duke of Bedford sold off the whole of his Devon estate (22’000 acres) in just two weeks. His ancestor had received them as a gift from Henry VIII. So these lands had in effect been stolen from the church at the dissolution of Tavistock Abbey. So what goes around & all that…..

A good result of all this was that ownership became more democratic with many former tenants now being able to own the land they farmed.

Last edited:
Another sad story, where a property and historical estate is put on sale due to maintenance cost. :sad:

William Sitwell, a restaurant critic for The Daily Telegraph and food critic on MasterChef, who is also the heir presumptive to the Sitwell Baronetcy. The current holder is his brother Sir George Reresby Sacheverell Sitwell, 8th Baronet. He has recently revealed on The Telegraph (on 8th August) that he is selling his ancestral home, Weston Hall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/interio...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1596878791

From Wikipedia: Weston Hall is a 17th-century manor house in Weston, Northamptonshire. The house has been owned by the Sitwell family's ancestors since 1714.[1] It is a Grade II* listed building.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_Hall

Weston Hall is not the family seat of Sitwell Baronetcy, Renishaw Hall, but it has strong connection to the family. Weston Hall is (at the time of this posting) operating as a wedding function and hotel.

Link to Renishaw's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renishaw_Hall

Link to Sitwell baronets' Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitwell_baronets

The death was announced this evening of the The Hon. Desmond Walter Guinness who was the second of son of the late Bryan Guinness, 2nd Baron Moyne and Diana Mitford .Desmond Guinness was 88 years old and a noted Anglo-Irish author on Georgian art and architecture and the conservationist and co founder Irish Georgian Society.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...ty-co-founder-desmond-guinness-dies-1.4335213

Last edited:
It’s so interesting to read up more of hereditary peers and potential heir apparents/presumptives who are not from the traditional “old money” class or the land-based rich - ones like the Snowdons (who do have the most interesting history of their rise to power). I read there’s another peer, the 6th Baron Sinha, who is in I.T., and now there’s a distant relative from America who could be the future Earl of Essex. Though mostly the modern peers were ex-politicians or descended from political families (such as the Benns, the Viscount Stansgate. Tony Benn was a solid leftie but his sons are soft left leaning). I watched from one documentary made during the debates on the House of Lords Reform Act 1999 on which hereditary peers have their thoughts on them being kicked out of Parliament. One peer works as a dentist though he takes time to attend sessions because his clinic is near Westminstsd. I forgot the name of thaf peer though.

It’s so interesting to read up more of hereditary peers and potential heir apparents/presumptives who are not from the traditional “old money” class or the land-based rich - ones like the Snowdons (who do have the most interesting history of their rise to power). I read there’s another peer, the 6th Baron Sinha, who is in I.T., and now there’s a distant relative from America who could be the future Earl of Essex. Though mostly the modern peers were ex-politicians or descended from political families (such as the Benns, the Viscount Stansgate. Tony Benn was a solid leftie but his sons are soft left leaning). I watched from one documentary made during the debates on the House of Lords Reform Act 1999 on which hereditary peers have their thoughts on them being kicked out of Parliament. One peer works as a dentist though he takes time to attend sessions because his clinic is near Westminstsd. I forgot the name of thaf peer though.

Most of the older peerages were associated with a landed estate. Peers in that class who now have other professions are those whose families lost their estates (and never recovered from it), mostly in the 20th century.

But, as you said, there was a time (up to the mid-20th century actually) when high-ranking politicians and even generals/senior military were honored with hereditary peerages (many former PMs for example became earls), and those are peerages that were not necessarily associated with land.

Overall, I think, however, that the British peerage was more successful at remaining a class of land or real-estate owners than in other countries in Europe. Compare it for example to Spain, the only other extant "big" kingdom in Europe with a peerage-like system of hereditary nobility, but where, despite there being still over 2,000 hereditary title holders (vs 700 or so in the UK), very few actually still have large estates.

The theory I mentioned once to our fellow member Durham from the UK is that the relative success of the British peers has to do with entails or, even after entails were legally broken, the British law of succession that keeps the entire estate in the same family over the generations. Continental countries, on the other hand, are subject, I suppose, to the provisions in the civil code that guarantee that a share of the estate should go to the younger children. But I am not sure if that was the main factor.

Last edited:
The theory I mentioned once to our fellow member Durham from the UK is that the relative success of the British peers has to do with entails or, even after entails were legally broken, the British law of succession that keeps the entire estate in the same family over the generations. Continental countries, on the other hand, are subject, I suppose, to the provisions in the civil code that guarantee that a share of the estate should go to the younger children. But I am not sure if that was the main factor.

Entail ensured the survival of the "big house". That's why there's so many surviving in Britain. And complete with their contents, often accumulated over generations. Layers of history. That's unusual in Europe. Lack of war/invasion played some part as well.

The country house/park (along with the English medieval cathedrals) is arguably the main British contribution to European culture.

Many aristocrats also profited directly from the industrial revolution. For instance the Sitwells of Derbyshire mentioned in post 1334 owned collieries. If you look at the link I added in post 1333 you can see that their 3000 acres produced over £10'000 a year. Agricultural land at this time brought in about a pound an acre depending on the quality of the land so the Sitwells were making at least three times as much as they would have done because of the industry on their estate.

Last edited:
:previous: Many aristocratic homes may still exist, but many of them are no longer in the hands of the original owners. Many of the families found the cost of upkeep of the homes too much. Especially those who had more then one home, often selling off a few of them.

The smarter ones found ways of turning a profit from their property. And not simply through farming and industry if they had the land to do so.

Some families have opened parts of their home up to the public to view. Others have allowed them to be used for filming like Highclere (Downton) and Alnwick (Harry Potter among others). Or a polo park on the grounds in the case of Cowdray park. The money from this allows them to maintain the expensive homes and grounds.

The Duchess of Northumberland is well known for doing this. She was behind the major renovations of Alnwick's gardens in 2000. The home had already been used for filming for years but this was another step. The house's gardens are one of the biggest attractions in the North.

Powderham castle, home to the Earl and Countess of Devonshire has been used for concerts and television and more. Unfortunately the old Earl had to auction off over 100 antique pieces to pay his debts, even with their businesses. His son, the current Earl and his wife AJ Langer (US actress), turned it around and have got the businesses back up and running including weddings.

There are a surprising amount of houses that still belong to the families who built them but yes you’re right many have been sold. The National Trust own quite a few of course with many of the (very lucky) families in situ.

Many as you say have found new uses. Alnwick has really played up its Potter links, it’s very commercial now. On the other hand of course Alnwick is such a vast building so they need the money. A large chunk of it is occupied by an American university. The new garden is certainly very big & cost an awful lot of money. Not been to Highclere as yet.

Badminton, Blenheim & Burghley have their horse trials like Cowdray its polo.

The pioneers of the “stately home industry” Bedford & Bath were certainly forward thinking if unconventional for their day. Unlike their ancestors they couldn't just be rentiers, they had to be entrepreneurs to survive.

The Courtenays of Powderham were unlucky with the amount of death duties they had to pay in the last century I think so a lot of land was sold. The castle is in a lovely spot overlooking the Exe in an area of England that gets a lot of domestic tourists so does quite well for visitor numbers.

Last edited:
George Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford (son of James Spencer-Churchill, 12th Duke of Marlborough), Marchioness of Blandford, Lady Violet Manners (daughter of David Manners, 11th Duke of Rutland) and their other close friends were on holiday together.

The images were posted four days ago, as of today (30th August), on George's instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEU0dNAgJxG/

Some of the late Lord Snowdon’s items are currently at auction at Christie’s, which will be held online from 4-24 September.

There are hundred plus items to be put in sale (a lot starts at £900 bid!) but not as EXTREME as the Princess Margaret items a decade ago...hmmm...

Snowdon: A Life in Art and Objects

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/snowdon-life-art-objects/lots/1797

P.S. I hope some are following the fan account I made for updates about the Snowdons on Instagram (instagram.com/the_snowdons)

Some of the late Lord Snowdon’s items are currently at auction at Christie’s, which will be held online from 4-24 September.

There are hundred plus items to be put in sale (a lot starts at £900 bid!) but not as EXTREME as the Princess Margaret items a decade ago...hmmm...

Snowdon: A Life in Art and Objects

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/snowdon-life-art-objects/lots/1797

P.S. I hope some are following the fan account I made for updates about the Snowdons on Instagram (instagram.com/the_snowdons)

Not odd the prices are much lower then his former wife's. Even the older pieces don't have any real historical value like her jewels. And some look like you'd find in any grandma's house.

The art work will do well enough. Some nice pieces.

The rich person's version of clearing out old dad's house when he dies. Deciding which bits and pieces to keep for sentimental value, and which ones to dispose of. 20 years ago it would have been consignment stores for the rest of us, now its online yard sales. I am sure they kept quite a few pieces of his like they did of their mother's.

Not odd the prices are much lower then his former wife's. Even the older pieces don't have any real historical value like her jewels. And some look like you'd find in any grandma's house.

The art work will do well enough. Some nice pieces.

The rich person's version of clearing out old dad's house when he dies. Deciding which bits and pieces to keep for sentimental value, and which ones to dispose of. 20 years ago it would have been consignment stores for the rest of us, now its online yard sales. I am sure they kept quite a few pieces of his like they did of their mother's.

I am happy they’re not auctioning off the much more personal items, such as watches or the rings. (I’ve read in an FT article that David inherited some of his father’s heritage watches. I am not sure where the others - perhaps with David’s son Charles, or with Daniel and Rodolphe, the other sons-in-law) And good thing they’re not selling off his diaries or journals or the rest of his photographic work. I’m surprised even diaries of the deceased may be considered liable for taxation, like what Hilary Benn did to his father’s meticulously recorded journals, instead of auctioning them, the Benns/Stansgate donated Tony Benn’s works to the British Library.

So far the Snowdon estate has their photographic archives, managed by David, Sarah, and Frances - Armstrong-Jones Ltd

I wonder how they make money with their dad’s photos, as a good number of them keep on circulating in print - like the Vanity Fair cover of Princess Anne and a Hello! cover of Princess Diana recently. And Frances has Luncheon Magazine where she is the publisher and editor.

I did see a French green-and-gilt decorated tole and gilt-brass chinoiserie sedan clock. It at first looked like an open pocket watch.

National Trust 'to blame for aristocrats' plummeting fortunes during coronavirus'

Going back to stately home of the nobility, aristocracy or gentry, a Telegraph article has reported that the National Trust has been accused of shifting its focus on outdoor adventure playground experience rather than "historical houses". Some people in the comment section has stated that they have cancelled their membership due to lack of focus on preservation of historical houses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-aristocrats-plummeting-fortunes-coronavirus/

The other reason for membership cancellation, according to some Twitter users is the Statement release by the National Trust itself in regards Black Lives Matter movement. This reaction is almost like the response to BBC's decision with Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fe...slavery-and-colonialism-at-the-national-trust

P.S. The Telegraph's online articles are free access until Monday due to a protest staged by Extinction Rebellion, where the protestors blocked News Corp printing sites on Saturday Morning (including Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph, The Sun, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, The Times, Sunday Times, London Evening Standard, Financial Times). I am on The Telegraph reading spree right now :lol: ?

Last edited:
Going back to stately home of the nobility, aristocracy or gentry, a Telegraph article has reported that the National Trust has been accused of shifting its focus on outdoor adventure playground experience rather than "historical houses". Some people in the comment section has stated that they have cancelled their membership due to lack of focus on preservation of historical houses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-aristocrats-plummeting-fortunes-coronavirus/

The other reason for membership cancellation, according to some Twitter users is the Statement release by the National Trust itself in regards Black Lives Matter movement. This reaction is almost like the response to BBC's decision with Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fe...slavery-and-colonialism-at-the-national-trust

P.S. The Telegraph's online articles are free access until Monday due to a protest staged by Extinction Rebellion, where the protestors blocked News Corp printing sites on Saturday Morning (including Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph, The Sun, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, The Times, Sunday Times, London Evening Standard, Financial Times). I am on The Telegraph reading spree right now :lol: ?
at the moment I assume that visiting houses is going to be more diffuclt and people wont go, or will go to stately homes for outdoor activities rather than to visit the house itself....

There are many who are disturbed by what they perceive as the "dumbing down" of the NT. As though a wider range of visitors are incapable of appreciating art, architecture & history without some gimmick thrown in. It's all so condescending.

None of the history of NT properties with regard to slavery & colonialism is new. It's not hidden. By all means inform more but don't lecture visitors otherwise they'll go elsewhere.

Indeed, if the NT want to bring slavery & colonialism more to the fore then they also need to be more honest about the realities of exploitation by class over generations. A bit less Downton Abbey & a bit more truth would be refreshing. That's actually more relevant to most British people than empire.

Best put the soap box away now.:D

There are many who are disturbed by what they perceive as the "dumbing down" of the NT. As though a wider range of visitors are incapable of appreciating art, architecture & history without some gimmick thrown in. It's all so condescending.

None of the history of NT properties with regard to slavery & colonialism is new. It's not hidden. By all means inform more but don't lecture visitors otherwise they'll go elsewhere.

Indeed, if the NT want to bring slavery & colonialism more to the fore then they also need to be more honest about the realities of exploitation by class over generations. A bit less Downton Abbey & a bit more truth would be refreshing. That's actually more relevant to most British people than empire.

The NT is a historical organisation. Pretty sure most of the visitors would appreciate a lecture as they are there to soak up the history if they want to visit the houses themselves as well as the gardens?! :ermm: If people feel uncomfortable with history they don't have to go.

Last edited:
The NT is a historical organisation. Pretty sure most of the visitors would appreciate a lecture as they are there to soak up the history if they want to visit the houses themselves as well as the gardens?! :ermm: If people feel uncomfortable with history they don't have to go.

I thought that was an innocent enough remark. I meant lecture in a pejorative sense. As in the NT chiding or scolding. That's definitely a turn off.

I didn't mean lecture as in a talk given by an expert to an interested audience. That would be enjoyable & informative. My fault for not being clear.

Last edited:

Definitely, that's why there are some cancellation of NT membership. The people who do these cancellations believed (as I observed from social media accounts) that the visitor/customers should not be lectured or preached with one-sided opinions and agenda. Yes, I would admit these people (who are angry with the NT) are most likely to be conservatives or have right-leaning views. However, I agree with them that the NT is jumping on the "Black Lives Matter" bandwagon and trying to be progressive and woke.

I agree if they do not like the approach that NT is taking, they could not go, but this would risk reduced tourism not just the estate, but nearby local areas. Especially with COVID-19, the estate owners/NT cannot afford to lose more tourists (who are IMO more likely to be conservatives than socialist).

The National Trust is not the only organisation that decided to focus on slavery and colonialism. The Natural History Museum (NHM) has also gone through the similar thing. Mike Graham from TalkRadio tweeted out a screenshot of the newspaper showing the direction of the NHM and he was not happy with their decisions at all. There is a conversation between Mike Graham and NHM London. It's not just Mike who are not happy, but also the replies to his tweet. The phrase "go woke go broke" is very prominent in their responses.

Last edited:
I am one of those people who almost all of my trips are about history, art and architecture. I love touring old castles, homes, churches and more. And having a tour guide who can go through with me and explain the history.

The issue the NT and anyone doing tours of these houses is, people do these kinds of tours for different reasons. Some people will very much be fans of some thing like Downton abbey and are there for that experience. Others are genuinely interested in the history. Some are families, and having the outdoor play area appeals to them as there is something to interest the kids in too.

There is a difference between a guided tour and a lecture. Even those who are there for the history and the architecture, aren't there for a political lecture. If I went on a tour because I have a passion for the architecture of these homes, and got lectured on slavery instead, I would be considering a refund. Yes the subject is important, but not why I was there.

They may need to find a balance. Cater tours to specific interests. And then maybe offer a 'lecture series' where people who are interested in the colonial history can come one evening for a sit down lecture about that as well.

As for the NHM that bothers me far more. You cant simply erase history as it doesn't fit a certain view now. Yeah there are colonial issues with Darwin but that doesn't erase his scientific discoveries that he made. Offer a lecture, or have some information about the colonial side if that is important. But don't simply try and erase a scientific discovery.

I would be one who would sign up for both. I'd want to be left in peace for my tour of the house to learn about the family history and learn about the architecture style of the time. But I would also happily sit down for an evening lecture or such about the colonial aspects as well.

Definitely, that's why there are some cancellation of NT membership. The people who do these cancellations believed (as I observed from social media accounts) that the visitor/customers should not be lectured or preached with one-sided opinions and agenda. Yes, I would admit these people (who are angry with the NT) are most likely to be conservatives or have right-leaning views. However, I agree with them that the NT is jumping on the "Black Lives Matter" bandwagon and trying to be progressive and woke.

I agree if they do not like the approach that NT is taking, they could not go, but this would risk reduced tourism not just the estate, but nearby local areas. Especially with COVID-19, the estate owners/NT cannot afford to lose more tourists (who are IMO more likely to be conservatives than socialist).

The National Trust is not the only organisation that decided to focus on slavery and colonialism. The Natural History Museum (NHM) has also gone through the similar thing. Mike Graham from TalkRadio tweeted out a screenshot of the newspaper showing the direction of the NHM and he was not happy with their decisions at all. There is a conversation between Mike Graham and NHM London. It's not just Mike who are not happy, but also the replies to his tweet. The phrase "go woke go broke" is very prominent in their responses.

Sigh. “Woke” is a specific AAVE word (African American Vernacular English) but has now been taken to be used in a derogatory manner. We’re forgetting their original post was made on Slavery Remembrance Day, so they have every right to link their past with slavery on that particular day.

Many black people are pleased with their efforts to include colonialism more often in their work.

From looking at the websites for Belvoir Castle and Wentworth Woodhouse, estate/castle tours cannot be held due to COVID restrictions. Both of these estates are not held by the National Trust. Belvoir Castle is owned and possibly managed (or could be another company) by the Manners Family (Duke of Rutland's). Wentworth Woodhouse is now owned and managed by Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust. It used to be one of the two seats of Earl Fitzwilliam (Wentworth-Fitzwilliam family). The other seat was Milton Hall.

Most of the events are limited to outdoor activities, in which some people may think it's "dumbing down" or gimmicky

Wikipedia link to Belvoir Castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvoir_Castle

Official website of Belvoir Castle: https://www.belvoircastle.com/

Wikipedia link to Wentworth Woodhouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_Woodhouse

Official website of Wentworth Woodhouse: https://wentworthwoodhouse.org.uk/

In one instagram post by the Belvoir Castle official account, the Duke of Rutland showed the 'family wall’ in the Picture Gallery

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-4NBdRHZlj/

There are other instagram posts that almost resemble a virtual tour of Belvior Castle.

I think the "dumbing down" is more often the fault of uninformed tour guides.
A few years ago I took a tour of Leeds Castle; some of the other visitors asked some questions about the identity of certain of the busts displayed, and the guide hadn't a clue!

Maybe he was just filling in for a regular guide or something, but I've encountered the same problem at other historic sites.

Back
Top Bottom