The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is impressive indeed. And especially the third picture posted by Eya - you can't realize how large and huge the building is until you see how tiny a man and a woman appear in comparison.

I simply love that house! It is so spectacular!

I think the fact that the Devonshire’s always seem to welcome visitors have made their enterprise successful. They know they have a great collection, and seem happy to show it works to their advantage. It seems that those with the greatest treasures are the most willing to welcome the public. The ones with the least to show seem to be the ones that act superior and tolerate the public because they have to.

Tracy Somerset, Duchess of Beaufort, attended the Petersham Nurseries Covent Garden launch in London yesterday, May 2:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

Tracy Somerset, Duchess of Beaufort, attended the Petersham Nurseries Covent Garden launch in London yesterday, May 2:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

The Duke of Beaufort and Tracy divorced this spring. The Duke married, secondly, this week. New duchess is former Georgia Powell.

The Duke of Beaufort and Tracy divorced this spring. The Duke married, secondly, this week. New duchess is former Georgia Powell.

Is Georgia Powell the daughter of a British nobleman?

Is Georgia Powell the daughter of a British nobleman?

On her father's side she is the great-granddaughter of Brig.-Gen. Thomas Pakenham, 5th Earl of Longford and his wife Lady Mary Julia Child-Villiers, daughter of the 7th Earl of Jersey.

On her mother's side she is the great-granddaughter of Field Marshal Francis Wallace Grenfell, 1st Baron Grenfell and the great-great-granddaughter of the Rt. Hon. Sir Julian Goldsmid, 3rd Bt.

Follow this link for her entry in The Peerage website:

Person Page

Viscountess Weymouth attended the Foreign Sisters annual lunch held at The Landmark Hotel in London on May 10:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Is the earldom of Crawford and Balcarries the oldest earldom in the United Kingdom?

Yes, the earldom of Crawford, created in 1398 in the Scottish peerage, is the oldest earldom in the UK.

The earldom of Balcarres, another title held by the Earl of Crawford, was created in 1651.

See the discussion on Earls from Debrett's website:
https://www.debretts.com/expertise/...age/ranks-and-privileges-of-the-peerage/earl/

Also the Crawford and entry from the 1949 edition of Burke's Peerage:
https://archive.org/stream/burkesgenealogic1949unse#page/500/mode/2up
no.
Earl of Arundel is the oldest extant earldom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Arundel

Yes, you're right, my mistake. Arundel is the oldest earldom in the UK, not Crawford. Crawford is the oldest earldom in Scotland.

Apparently Debrett's considers the Earl of Shrewsbury (1442) to be the premier earl of England because the Earl of Arundel is also Duke of Norfolk, a higher title.

It also seems that while the creation of the Crawford and Shrewsbury earldoms rests on firm ground, the history of the Arundel earldom is murkier than Wikipedia leads us to believe. For example, there is no definite record of its creation. It is believed Richard FitzAlan was created Earl in 1289. The 5th Earl died childless in 1415 and it wasn't until 1433 that his cousin John FitzAlan claimed the title belonged to whoever held the Castle of Arundel. Although the claim was dubious, the Crown allowed it.

For more details, see the Arundel entry in the Complete Peerage, especially note b on p. 231, which discusses the 1433 decision of the Crown:
https://archive.org/stream/completepeerageo01coka#page/230/mode/2up

See also the Norfolk entry in Burke's Peerage which (at the end, p. 1497) says this: "Earl of Arundel (feudal honor as adjudged in Parliament, 8 July 1433...) by possession of Arundel Castle only, without any creation."

https://archive.org/stream/burkesgenealogic1949unse#page/1496/mode/2up

Last edited by a moderator:
This film popped up on my twitter feed this morning - not sure why because it’s not an account I follow or related to any accounts I follow. Anyway, it’s a wonderful initiative and a great tribute to the late Duke.

Grosvenor - Proud supporters of the Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre

It's a great initiative, for sure.
This generousity and stategic building will make a big difference to many who deserve the very best of care. It's a feel good story because it is good.

Lady Emma Weymouth and husband Ceawlin Thynn attended The Serpentine Gallery Summer Party in London today, June 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: An end to one dramatic story, one that could make the plot of a good movie.

Lady Lucan's husband disappeared over 40 years ago, after being accused of murdering the nanny of their children. He was declared dead by his son under 'the presumption of death' act only a few years ago. It is said it was his wife he was thought to intend to kill, and killed the nanny instead. Lady Lucan believed her husband committed suicide. She herself, suffering from Parkinsons, took her own life.

The kids were raised by their Aunt Christina Shand-Kydd after their mother was found to suffer from mental illness. Christina's husband William was half-brothers to Princess Diana's stepfather Peter.

Great Wedding at Blenheim Castle I visited.
Actually more people guests than the British Nobility , times are changing.
The British aristocracy have to accept that the Princes(sses) and Heirs(esses) , Nobles prefer communors than their Son or Daughter. I remember the 2 Percy Weddings and their divorce a few years later!

Five daughters of hereditary peers go to the ECHR to be allowed to stand for election to the House of Lords, see the BBC article here .

Very interesting and want to see them succeed on this issue. Hope to see updates on how things progressed for them. This is not the dark ages anymore men, all woman have brains and ambitions and basic human rights.....

Back
Top Bottom