The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Rt. Hon. the 14th Lady Herries of Terregles, Baroness Cowdrey of Tonbridge, née Lady Anne Fitzalan-Howard, passed away yesterday (25 November 2014) aged 76.

The Lady Anne Elizabeth Fitzalan-Howard was born on 12 June 1938, the eldest of the four daughters of the 16th Duke and Duchess of Norfolk.
At the death of her father in 1975, since he didn't leave sons, his main title of Duke of Norfolk was inherited by his cousin Miles, while his Scottish title of Lord Herries of Terregles was inherited by Anne, as his eldest daughter.
She was married - as his second wife - from 1985 until his death in 2000 to cricketer Colin Cowdrey, who in 1997 was ennobled as (life) Baron Cowdrey of Tonbridge. She didn't have issue.
She is survived by her three younger sisters, Mary (Lady Mumford, now the 15th Lady Herries of Terregles), Sarah (The Lady Sarah Clutton) and Jane (The Marchioness of Lothian).

Celtic Swing trainer Lady Herries dies aged 76 | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2683543.html

The above link contains photos of Emma, Viscountess Weymouth, and her new-born son.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

I feel sorry for her....

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson was arrested by EIGHT armed officers at Heathrow airport | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 AM
Serene Highness

Yeah, it seems like there were too many pictures taken from just one incident. And how did the Daily Mail even get all these pictures? And I must also say that she seems to have serious issues to battle.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
The Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood family has the title of Marquess of Dufferin and Ava.
How did Ava become part of the title?
Ava was always part of the title.

The initial title was Baronet Blackwood, of Ballyleidy, created in 1763 for Sir Robert Blackwood. In 1800, Dame Dorcas Blackwood, the widow of the 2nd Baronet, was created Baroness Dufferin and Claneboye of Ballyleidy and Killyleagh; when she died the two titles merged in her son, Sir James Stevenson Blackwood (2nd Baron and 3rd Baronet). His brother, Hans Blackwood, succeeded him, and Hans' grandson, Frederick Temple Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, became the 5th Baron in 1841. In 1850 he was created 1st Baron Claneboye, of Claneboye. In 1871 he was created 1st Earl of Dufferin and 1st Viscount Dufferin. Then in 1888 he was created 1st Marquess of Dufferin and Ava and 1st Earl of Ava. His eldest and third son both died without issue, and his second son (and the 2nd Marquess) only had daughters, so his line continued in that of his fourth son and youngest child, also named Frederick, the 3rd Marquess.

Both the 3rd and 4th Marquess only had one son each, so when the 5th, Sheridan, died without children the titles granted to the 1st Marquess went extinct. The male-line of the 3rd Baron also went extinct at this time, so the Barony and Baronetcy went into the line of the youngest son of the 2nd Baronet and 1st Baroness, Vice-Admiral Sir Henry Blackwood, 1st Baronet Blackwood, passing to his great-great grandson, Francis Blackwood, 10th Baron Dufferin and Claneyboye, 7th Baronet Blackwood, in 1988.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

The 8. Duke of Wellington Arthur Valerian Wellesley died at the age of 99 in the morning of 31.12.2014. Duke of Wellington dies, aged 99 - Telegraph
Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Martin @CourtierUK · 2h
The Duke of Wellington’s death means that Prince Philip is now the oldest Duke in the UK, aged 93.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2h
The Duke is immediately succeeded by his eldest son Charles Wellesley, who becomes the 9th Duke of Wellington, he's 69.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Wellington dies six months before 200th anniversary of Waterloo (and now Jemma Kidd's husband is heir to the title) | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Arthur Valerian Wellesley, the 8th Duke of Wellington, has died. The Duke, who was 99, died at his Hampshire home Stratfield Saye this morning, surrounded by his loved ones.

His 69-year-old son Charles is now the 9th Duke of Wellington, while his grandson Arthur, 36, becomes heir to the Wellington title, as well as to the family's Dutch title, Prince of Waterloo.

The Duke's death comes just six months before the 200th anniversary of the 1815 Battle of Waterloo which saw Napoleon and the French defeated at the hands of the 1st Duke of Wellington.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Majesty

The dukes of Marlborough and now Wellington, along with the dowager Duchess of Devonshire....2014 has seen death in some of the grandest families in the British aristocracy.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The dukes of Marlborough and now Wellesley, along with the dowager Duchess of Devonshire....2014 has seen death in some of the grandest families in the British aristocracy.
Sometimes it comes in threes.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love how the DM seems to think that the important person in this is Jemma Kidd...
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Its the DM. Let's not talk about the old Duke or the new Duke but the wife of the new Duke's son 😕

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Gentry

R.I.P Your Grace.

Of course daily mail needs to concentrate on an so-called celebrity instead of the actual man that has just passed, sigh.

His Grace, The Duke
Old 12-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The dukes of Marlborough and now Wellesley, along with the dowager Duchess of Devonshire....2014 has seen death in some of the grandest families in the British aristocracy.
I was just thinking the same thing – and we have also lost Queen Fabiola over in Belgium and the Duchess of Alba over in Spain. It seems that 2014 has unfortunately been the year of deaths (aside from royalty we have also lost some famous faces, and personally I have lost two family members), so I hope 2015 will be the year of happy events – weddings, births, engagements etc.

The saddest thing about the Duke of Wellington's death for me is that he was one year of one hundred, which is a huge milestone, and also one day off 2015 (in England it's still New Year's Eve, right now we have three hours until January 1).

I find it interesting that the new Duchess of Wellington still has "Princess" in her title, though I read that titles from defunct monarchies are still recognised in countries that still have their monarchy.

I didn't realise that Prince Philip is the oldest Duke in the UK now. Do we know who is the oldest Duke in UK is after Prince Philip?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Beaufort is 86 and the Duke of Richmond is 85 so they are near the top after Philip.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I find it interesting that the new Duchess of Marlborough still has "Princess" in her title, though I read that titles from defunct monarchies are still recognised in countries that still have their monarchy.

The new Duchess of Marlborough is Edla Griffiths, a Welsh born ceramicist. She is the current wife of the current Duke.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Although the day to day style of a non-royal duke and duchess is 'Grace', they are formally styled as 'Most High, Potent and Noble Prince'
Old 01-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was just thinking the same thing – and we have also lost Queen Fabiola over in Belgium and the Duchess of Alba over in Spain. It seems that 2014 has unfortunately been the year of deaths (aside from royalty we have also lost some famous faces, and personally I have lost two family members), so I hope 2015 will be the year of happy events – weddings, births, engagements etc.

The saddest thing about the Duke of Wellington's death for me is that he was one year of one hundred, which is a huge milestone, and also one day off 2015 (in England it's still New Year's Eve, right now we have three hours until January 1).

I find it interesting that the new Duchess of Marlborough still has "Princess" in her title, though I read that titles from defunct monarchies are still recognised in countries that still have their monarchy.

I didn't realise that Prince Philip is the oldest Duke in the UK now. Do we know who is the oldest Duke in UK is after Prince Philip?

Yes, when one factors in the duchess of Alba and Queen Fabiola in the aristo-royal world with the celebrity losses of Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, and Lauren Bacall...and ending with the horrible aviation disasters I can't say I am sorry to be seeing the end of 2014.

And I am very sorry to read that you also lost not one but two family members this year, Hereditary Princess.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes, when one factors in the duchess of Alba and Queen Fabiola in the aristo-royal world with the celebrity losses of Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, and Lauren Bacall...and ending with the horrible aviation disasters I can't say I am sorry to be seeing the end of 2014.
I too am glad to have left 2014. It was a pretty awful year, and I hope 2015 will be better.

Quote:
And I am very sorry to read that you also lost not one but two family members this year, Hereditary Princess
Thank you for your kind words. Christmas was strange this year because we had empty seats. Both their deaths came as a surprise to me. My great-uncle, who died in February, was always quite healthy but a week before his death he was admitted to hospital. My great-aunt (they were not married but he was her brother-in-law) had lung cancer and she was struggling by the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The new Duchess of Marlborough is Edla Griffiths, a Welsh born ceramicist. She is the current wife of the current Duke.
Yes, I know - I had made a mistake. I was talking about the Duchess of Wellington, but was thinking about the Duchess of Marlborough as he had been mentioned in a previous post. I will amend my post to avoid confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Duke of Beaufort is 86 and the Duke of Richmond is 85 so they are near the top after Philip.

Thank you for the information.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

No - there are actually 3 vacancies now and it is up to The Queen to fill them when she comes up with suitable candidates remembering that royals don't count in the 24. Maybe Blair will get one of those vacancies (Gordon Brown, I suspect, would prefer the Thistle being a Scotsman). It is normal for most part PM's to get one or other of these orders so, unless they have been offered and refused it, I would expect one or both of these past PM's to be honoured in that way at some time.

The new Duke is also a candidate, as most, if not all the previous dukes have had the Garter so it is possible that The Queen will pass it on to the new Duke - maybe this year, maybe next (would be nice this year so he had it for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo but maybe that would be too soon for him).

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility