The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The funeral service for Deborah, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire will be held at 12 noon
at St Peter’s Church, Edensor, DE45 1PH on Thursday 2 October 2014.

Everyone is welcome to attend.
There will be refreshments at Chatsworth after the service.

No memorial service will be held, as were her express instructions.
Donations in her memory to the Addington Fund and/or Helen’s Trust will be much appreciated.

The funeral cortčge will leave Chatsworth at approximately 11.15am.

Duke of Devonshire
http://www.chatsworth.org/deborah-devonshire

Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I'm really saddened to hear of her passing. Like many people I have long been fascinated by the Mitford sisters, their lives and times. It really is the end of an era. Rest in peace, Debo. !
I'm fascinated by the Mitford sisters too though I honestly cannot say that I admired any of them, with the exception of the dowager Duchess. She was an amazing woman who lived an amazing life. She was one of the last of a dying breed of aristocrat in England, if not THE last.

RIP.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Aristocracy

She truly was a one off. But I am disappointed in the lack of coverage her death is getting. I really thought some Mitford Sister documentaries would be repeated.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I remember she released a cook book a few years ago but then revealed she hasn't cooked for 60 years
Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Majesty

The Mitford sisters' lives were far more scandalous than any Downton Abbey plot | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire died this week at the age of 94 bringing an end to the fascinating life and times of the Mitford sisters.

Deborah Vivien Cavendish and her siblings moved in the same circles as Winston Churchill, John F Kennedy, Adolf Hitler and Evelyn Waugh and epitomised a privileged and glamorous aristocratic life that no longer exists.

The six daughters - Nancy, Pam, Diana, Unity, Decca and Debo - born between 1905 and 1920 to Lord Redesdale and his wife Sydney, were the Kardashians of their day in terms of the public interest their antics aroused.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

They were interesting indeed. But I had no idea that one of them still lived until now.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

How very sad, may she RIP. I too like the late Duchess – like a few members here she is my favourite out of the Mitford Sisters (I quite like Nancy, but don't particularly care for Unity and Diana, and I don't know enough about Jessica to form a general opinion on her), as she did seem down to earth and just a nice person in general. I would have loved to have met her. I thought how The Daily Mail compared the Mitford Sisters to the Kardashians (of all people?) is unnecessary. To me, they couldn't be any different.

My grandfather's cousin lives near Chatsworth, and she used to visit it a lot with her mother, who bumped into the Duchess as she had an accident with her wheelchair. According to my grandfather's cousin, the Duchess was feeding her chickens until she noticed my grandfather's cousin's mother and asked her if she was alright and if she needed any help. I thought that was such a sweet gesture, as most of the aristocracy of her generation come across as rather snobbish to me.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Chatsworth and the public now that the Duchess has passed away, as I do believe it was her idea to open it to everyone. It would be sad to see it close so I hope the Duke will keep it open – it makes for a lovely day out, and if anyone here is visiting England and the Derbyshire area, I would definitely recommend it to you. I have forgotten the name of it, but the Duchess's childhood home in the Cotswolds is available to stay in for holidays - I went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed that, too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I thought how The Daily Mail compared the Mitford Sisters to the Kardashians (of all people?) is unnecessary. To me, they couldn't be any different.
The comparison was about the public interest, that the Mitford sisters got in their day. But yeah, we're talking about two entirely different eras. And I guess there are both similarities and differences.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Courtier

I can't see Chatsworth closing to the public. All stately homes need the income. Besides, the Duke inherited years ago and has invested a lot of time and capital into having the estate open since.

As for the comparisons between the Mitfords and the Kardashians, to me the biggest difference is that Nancy ( and to a lesser extent, Deborah) was a genuinely talented author. As far as I can tell, the only talent the Kardashians have is for self publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

JFK's connection to the Cavendishs- his sister Kathleen known as Kick married Billy the older brother of Andrew but Billy died in WWII which caused Andrew and Deborah to become the Duke/Duchess later on. Kick died in a plane crash couple of years after the war and is buried at Chatsworth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Majesty

The Cavendishes maintained close ties to the Kennedy family after the death of Kathleen, Lady Hartington in the plane crash. JFK, RFK and Sen. Edward (Ted) Kennedy and other family members made visits to their sister's grave at Edensor, Chatsworth. Andrew and Deborah as Duke and Duchess of Devonshire attended the funerals of John and Robert Kennedy.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
JFK's connection to the Cavendishs- his sister Kathleen known as Kick married Billy the older brother of Andrew but Billy died in WWII which caused Andrew and Deborah to become the Duke/Duchess later on. Kick died in a plane crash couple of years after the war and is buried at Chatsworth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
At the time of her death, she was romantically involved to another British aristocrat, the 8th Earl Fitzwilliam, and they were thinking about marrying. Unfortunately they both died in 1948, in a plane crash in France.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Are you talking about Kathleen Kennedy? I thought she was already married to a Brit at the time the plane went down...?

LaRae
Old 09-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Are you talking about Kathleen Kennedy? I thought she was already married to a Brit at the time the plane went down...?

LaRae
She was a widow. Her husband, the Marquis of Hartington (William or Billy and older brother of Deborah's husband Andrew) was killed in 1944 while with his regiment in Northern France.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

Funeral of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1707607
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall have joined the family, friends and staff of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, at her funeral in Edensor today-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

What a great send off! She was obviously loved and admired. The DM is always good for great photos. I had either not known or not remembered how beautiful she was when young. Take a look at their write up if only for the photos. Chatsworth looked amazing today!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hello Magazine

Prince Charles expected at the funeral of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire - hellomagazine.com

BBC News

BBC News - Chatsworth funeral for Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew PArker Bowles was also there, representing the PRincess Royal. From the CC

Her Royal Highness was represented by Brigadier Andrew Parker-Bowles at the Funeral of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire in St Peter’s Church, Edensor, Bakewell, Derbeyshire, today.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2510277.html

The above link contains photos of The Dowager Duchess' of Devonshire funeral.

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility