The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duke of Marlborough dies aged 88 - Telegraph

The Duke of Marlborough died early this morning, Blenheim Palace has said.

A spokesman for the Palace said: "With great sadness, we announce that the 11th Duke of Marlborough passed away peacefully this morning.

Sad news to hear.

Sad news. And so soon after the Duchess Of Devonshire. I have been watching a lot of documentaries about Nobility and it's place in British society over the past 40 years, it will be interesting to see what the next generation bring.

Sad news. And so soon after the Duchess Of Devonshire. I have been watching a lot of documentaries about Nobility and it's place in British society over the past 40 years, it will be interesting to see what the next generation bring.
The Marlborough next generation isn't nice. New duke is former drug addict. His father was so worried that he took legal action to stop his son from inheriting the family’s estate.

Churchill's cousin the Duke of Marlborough dies aged 88 - passing title to his ex-convict son | Daily Mail Online

Well, if he now has gotten out of his addiction, I hope that he's ready to take over the responsibilities.

Martin @CourtierUK · 17m 17 minutes ago
Despite the Duke of Wellington being very infirm at his age, he’s still a regular attendee at royal and state events. Commitment!

Martin @CourtierUK · 38m 38 minutes ago
His eldest surviving son, Jamie Spencer-Churchill, succeeds him as the 12th Duke of Marlborough.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 59m 59 minutes ago
He was a generational cousin of Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill & a distant relative of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Martin @CourtierUK · 20m 20 minutes ago
The oldest Duke in the UK is Arthur Wellesley, the 8th Duke of Wellington, who will turn 100 in July next year!

Martin @CourtierUK · 25m 25 minutes ago
The youngest non-royal Duke in the UK is currently Henry FitzRoy, the 12th Duke of Grafton.

Well, if he now has gotten out of his addiction, I hope that he's ready to take over the responsibilities.

I believe his oldest son James will inherit the title but the estate and such will be run by his other son Edward and a board of trustees.

We live close to Blenheim and visit frequently this is very sad news. Jamie Blanford (the new duke) has been working on the estate for quite a few years now and from what I've read (and there was a documentary last year) he will run the estate but is answerable to the trustees. Father and son have reconciled over the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I believe his oldest son James will inherit the title but the estate and such will be run by his other son Edward and a board of trustees.
Yes, I found that information after I had written my last post.

How did Nottingham become part of the title of the Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham?

The 1st Countess of Winchelsea had (among others) 2 sons, the elder of which inherited her earldom. Within a few generations this son's line had died out in the male-line, the last male-line descendant being the 6th Earl of Winchelsea. In the mean time, the first Countess' younger son had a son himself, who was created the 1st Earl of Nottingham. The 1st Earl was succeeded by his son, who would later succeed his distant cousin, the 6th Earl of Winchelsea.

The Viscount of Massereene and Ferrard is a title of the Skeffington family.
How did Ferrard become part of the title?

The title Viscount Massereene is unique in that it descends to heirs general, not just heirs male.

The first Viscount was succeeded by his son-in-law. Later the 5th Viscount was created Earl of Masereene, but that title descended to heirs male and became extinct when the male-line of the Earls died out.

When the Earldom died out the Viscounty was inherited by the last Earl's daughter, who was married to the 2nd Viscount Ferrard. They were then succeeded by their son, combining the titles. However, as the remainder for the title Viscount Ferrard allows for it to descend only to heirs male, it's possible the titles will diverge in the future.

The Rt. Hon. the 14th Lady Herries of Terregles, Baroness Cowdrey of Tonbridge, née Lady Anne Fitzalan-Howard, passed away yesterday (25 November 2014) aged 76.

The Lady Anne Elizabeth Fitzalan-Howard was born on 12 June 1938, the eldest of the four daughters of the 16th Duke and Duchess of Norfolk.
At the death of her father in 1975, since he didn't leave sons, his main title of Duke of Norfolk was inherited by his cousin Miles, while his Scottish title of Lord Herries of Terregles was inherited by Anne, as his eldest daughter.
She was married - as his second wife - from 1985 until his death in 2000 to cricketer Colin Cowdrey, who in 1997 was ennobled as (life) Baron Cowdrey of Tonbridge. She didn't have issue.
She is survived by her three younger sisters, Mary (Lady Mumford, now the 15th Lady Herries of Terregles), Sarah (The Lady Sarah Clutton) and Jane (The Marchioness of Lothian).

Celtic Swing trainer Lady Herries dies aged 76 | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

Yeah, it seems like there were too many pictures taken from just one incident. And how did the Daily Mail even get all these pictures? And I must also say that she seems to have serious issues to battle.

The Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood family has the title of Marquess of Dufferin and Ava.
How did Ava become part of the title?

Ava was always part of the title.

The initial title was Baronet Blackwood, of Ballyleidy, created in 1763 for Sir Robert Blackwood. In 1800, Dame Dorcas Blackwood, the widow of the 2nd Baronet, was created Baroness Dufferin and Claneboye of Ballyleidy and Killyleagh; when she died the two titles merged in her son, Sir James Stevenson Blackwood (2nd Baron and 3rd Baronet). His brother, Hans Blackwood, succeeded him, and Hans' grandson, Frederick Temple Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, became the 5th Baron in 1841. In 1850 he was created 1st Baron Claneboye, of Claneboye. In 1871 he was created 1st Earl of Dufferin and 1st Viscount Dufferin. Then in 1888 he was created 1st Marquess of Dufferin and Ava and 1st Earl of Ava. His eldest and third son both died without issue, and his second son (and the 2nd Marquess) only had daughters, so his line continued in that of his fourth son and youngest child, also named Frederick, the 3rd Marquess.

Both the 3rd and 4th Marquess only had one son each, so when the 5th, Sheridan, died without children the titles granted to the 1st Marquess went extinct. The male-line of the 3rd Baron also went extinct at this time, so the Barony and Baronetcy went into the line of the youngest son of the 2nd Baronet and 1st Baroness, Vice-Admiral Sir Henry Blackwood, 1st Baronet Blackwood, passing to his great-great grandson, Francis Blackwood, 10th Baron Dufferin and Claneyboye, 7th Baronet Blackwood, in 1988.

Martin @CourtierUK · 2h
The Duke of Wellington’s death means that Prince Philip is now the oldest Duke in the UK, aged 93.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2h
The Duke is immediately succeeded by his eldest son Charles Wellesley, who becomes the 9th Duke of Wellington, he's 69.

The Duke of Wellington dies six months before 200th anniversary of Waterloo (and now Jemma Kidd's husband is heir to the title) | Daily Mail Online
Arthur Valerian Wellesley, the 8th Duke of Wellington, has died. The Duke, who was 99, died at his Hampshire home Stratfield Saye this morning, surrounded by his loved ones.

His 69-year-old son Charles is now the 9th Duke of Wellington, while his grandson Arthur, 36, becomes heir to the Wellington title, as well as to the family's Dutch title, Prince of Waterloo.

The Duke's death comes just six months before the 200th anniversary of the 1815 Battle of Waterloo which saw Napoleon and the French defeated at the hands of the 1st Duke of Wellington.

The dukes of Marlborough and now Wellington, along with the dowager Duchess of Devonshire....2014 has seen death in some of the grandest families in the British aristocracy.:sad:

Last edited:
The dukes of Marlborough and now Wellesley, along with the dowager Duchess of Devonshire....2014 has seen death in some of the grandest families in the British aristocracy.:sad:

Sometimes it comes in threes.

Its the DM. Let's not talk about the old Duke or the new Duke but the wife of the new Duke's son ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom