The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Duke's son launches legal battle after claiming he was 'duped' into selling 10m painting for just 4m | Mail Online

Quote:
A member of one of Britain’s most colourful aristocratic families has launched a legal battle to recover a painting he says he was duped into selling for less than half its true 10 million value.
Lord Edward Spencer-Churchill, 37, a son of the Duke of Marlborough, claims he was ‘screwed’ into agreeing a price of 4 million for Jean-Michel Basquiat’s 1983 work Museum Security (Broadway Meltdown) last year.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Lady Mary Charteris weds in an odd cutaway bridal gown by Pam Hogg | Mail Online

Was the dress supposed to be edgy? Lady Mary looked cheap.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

While not traditional by many people's standards, if the bride loved her dress and was happy more power to her. Everyone has their own unique taste.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Nicole, Duchess of Bedford, ne Schneider, passed away in Monte Carlo on 7 September 2012, aged 92.

She was born at Paris on 29 June 1920. Aged 18, she married to painter Henri Millinaire, by whom she had four children: Didier, Catherine, Gilles and Agnes.
Her first marriage wasn't a happy one. In 1960, she married secondly (as his third wife) to John Russel, 13th Duke of Bedford; they didn't have children together. Their marriage lasted until the Duke died in 2002.

She is survived by her two sons and one daughter (a daughter having predeceased her in 1998).

Nicole, Duchess of Bedford - Telegraph
Nicole Milinaire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Dowager Duchess of Nortumberland, ne Lady Elizabeth Montagu-Douglas-Scott, passed away on 19 September 2012, aged 90.

She was born in London on 20 January 1922, the eldest daughter of the 8th Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensberry; her paternal aunt was the late HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.
She married in 1946 to Hugh Percy, 10th Duke of Northumberland (1914-1988). They became parents of seven children together; of them, the eldest son, Henry, 11th Duke of Nortumberland, predeceased her in 1995, while one daughter Lady Louise died soon after the birth in 1962.

BBC News - Dowager Duchess of Northumberland, 90, dies at home
Northumberland
Buccleuch & Queensberry
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM

A shame about the Dowager Duchess of Northumberland. Just two weeks ago I watched on YouTube a documentary about the 1939 debutante season and she had a good many stories to tell in it.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Another obituary of the late Dowager Duchess of Northumberland, from the Telegraph:
The Dowager Duchess of Northumberland - Telegraph
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Jemma, 38, who is married to the Duke of Wellingtons grandson, the Earl of Mornington, has been forced to put her celebrity make-up company into administration after it ran up debts of more than 2 million.

Read more: RICHARD KAY: Jemma Kidd's make-up empire goes into administration | Mail Online
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Jemma Kidd's makeup is really excellent quality (her foundation has to be one most my favourite ones ever, be it High Street or high end), so I'm a bit surprised to learn of the company's difficulties. This said, even the most promising venture can go bankrupt without a proper administration.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Love's in fashion for lord and son: Queen's cousin and Prince Charles' godson look smitten in London | Mail Online
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Commoner

^ At least Nicholas looks a lot healthier, though I dare not utter the word clean yet, given his history.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Nobility

Does anyone (or is anyone able to find out or tell me how to find out) if Sally, Duchess of Newcastle, and Anne, Duchess of Leinster, are still alive? I would really appreciate it
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Does anyone (or is anyone able to find out or tell me how to find out) if Sally, Duchess of Newcastle, and Anne, Duchess of Leinster, are still alive? I would really appreciate it
You could try searching thepeerage.com
Anne appears to still be alive, I did not look for Sally.
- Person Page 7233
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Nobility

I had tried thepeerage.com but it's often out of date. I doubt there really are that many supercentenarians in the Howard family, for example I'm especially curious about Sally, as she (if alive) is the last trace of the Dukedom of Newcastle.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Have you tried Wikipedia?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
The Dowager Duchess of Newcastle (nee Sally Ann Anstice, daughter of Brigadier John Anstice, and the third and final wife of Henry Pelham-Clinton-Hope, 9th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne) is definitely still alive.

I am not entirely certain about The Dowager Duchess of Leinster (nee Anne Smith, daughter of Lt. Col. Philip Eustace Smith, and second wife of Gerald FitzGerald, 8th Duke of Leinster), however all the sources point at her being alive and well.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Nobility

That's fascinating! Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
...all the sources point at her being alive and well.
Can you please tell me what sources are you referring to?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

A BBC documentary will claim a mystery man was living in the house where Lord Lucan's nanny was murdered.
The man may have been the boyfriend of one of the women in the property at the time nanny Sandra Rivett was battered to death there in 1974.

Read more: Mystery man may have lived in home where Lord Lucan's nanny was bludgeoned to death, BBC documentary claims | Mail Online
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Royal Highness

We need equality too, say daughters of aristocrats - Telegraph

New laws which would allow a daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen have prompted calls for the aristocracy to overhaul its own traditions to grant women equality with men.

My stance on this is: Be careful what you wish for. While the monarchy is very much part of Britain's democratic society, the aristocracy isn't any more. They are relicts from the past where they were needed by the monarch to rule and to defend the country, they later became as Lords of the House of Lords the peers of the monarch when it came to ruling the country. Today elected politicians rule Britain in the name of the monarch who represents his or her country. So it makes absolute sense to modernize the line of succession. While it would equally make sense to abolish the aristocracy completely, as they are not longer needed and are opposed to the idea that in a democracy all people have the same basic rights.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
We need equality too, say daughters of aristocrats - Telegraph

New laws which would allow a daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen have prompted calls for the aristocracy to overhaul its own traditions to grant women equality with men.

My stance on this is: Be careful what you wish for. While the monarchy is very much part of Britain's democratic society, the aristocracy isn't any more. They are relicts from the past where they were needed by the monarch to rule and to defend the country, they later became as Lords of the House of Lords the peers of the monarch when it came to ruling the country. Today elected politicians rule Britain in the name of the monarch who represents his or her country. So it makes absolute sense to modernize the line of succession. While it would equally make sense to abolish the aristocracy completely, as they are not longer needed and are opposed to the idea that in a democracy all people have the same basic rights.
This is what I was going to say as well. I think that that the result would be to abolish heridtary titles altogether.

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility