The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Peerage: There was a title "Lady of Rothes" which came down from the 12th century.
How it started was this: Peter de Pollock was a very large landowner in Scotland and built the Castle of Rothes at the behest of King William the Lion, in Rothes (far north of Scotland) probably to be a way stop or inspecting station for returning crusaders. Peter had no son, but his daughter Muriel (sometimes spelled Mauricle, by mistake) inherited the castle. Muriel had no son, but her daughter Eva, married to a knight called Watson, inherited the castle and the title Lady of Rothes. Eva had no son, but her daughter (no name found) married Sir Norman de Leslyn, founder of the Leslie family. The title came down to the present, and a woman could claim it if no male heir was found. The last holder was Lady Georgina Maxwell, but I think that these peerages were all cancelled late in the 20th century.
I am a descendant of Peter de Pollock's brother, Robert de Pollock, whose family seat was in Renfrewshire, and who was a follower of Walter Fitzallen, the first of the "Stuarts" to live full time in Scotland. The Stuarts and their followers came there from England after the dustup over the English succession between Matilda and Steven, as heirs of William the Conqueror. They came at the behest of David I of Scotland, and helped set up the feudal system organized by David I's mother, Queen Margaret. I found all this material while trying to find the history of my Pollock family.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Marquess of Bath's nephew walks free from court after 26 cannabis plants, ecstasy and magic mushrooms were found at his home within the Longleat estate
Quote:
The nephew of aristocrat Lord Bath has avoided jail after he admitted stashing 26 cannabis plants, ecstasy and magic mushrooms at his cottage within the Longleat estate. Police found the huge drug haul when they raided the Wiltshire cottage of Alexander Thynne - whose uncle owns the multimillion-pound Longleat stately home and grounds. The 50-year-old avoided prison despite having been caught with more than 40 cannabis plants worth £3,000 in his loft in 2003.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is an outrageous verdict, requiring no expansion on my part.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Does anyone have more informations about this Alexander Thynne? I have tried to find him in a genealogy of Thynne family, but it seems that no Alexander nephew of the current Marquess exists.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Does anyone have more informations about this Alexander Thynne? I have tried to find him in a genealogy of Thynne family, but it seems that no Alexander nephew of the current Marquess exists.
No idea. Alexander Thynne is supposed to be the son of the Marquess's younger brother, Lord Christopher John Thynne. However, to the best of my knowledge, Lord Christopher and Lady Antonia only have one child - Sophia Emma Thynne. Alexander might be an illegitimate son (this is speculation on my part).
I went back and checked all the descendants of the third Marquis of Bath - and no Alexander Thynne among them (of the corresponding age).
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There was also another younger brother, Lord Valentine Thynne (1937-1979), who was married form 1961 to 1971 to Veronica Ann Jacks with whom he had a daughter in 1962 and a son in 1965; but if Alexander were their son, I wonder why he isn't listed.

Yes, maybe Alexander is indeed an illegitimate son; but who are his parents?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Yes, maybe Alexander is indeed an illegitimate son; but who are his parents?
The Daily Mail says his father is Lord Christopher, so (assuming that information is accurate) Alexander could be his child with someone other than Lady Antonia. Lord Christopher was born in 1934 and got married in 1968. Alexander Thynne is 50 years old, meaning he was born in 1962, when Lord Christopher was 28 years old (and before his marriage to Lady Antonia).

I have to say though that if Alexander Thynne is indeed the son of Lord Christopher, it is somewhat surprising he was allowed to live on Marquis's estate, given the less than warm relationship between the brothers.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The Longleat clan have a well earned reputation for "eccentricities", but I don't think his sentence is very unusual for someone who has admitted his problems, is attempting to get clean and who is employed full time. He was not accused of trafficing which would have resulted in a harsher sentence.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Lord Christopher was born in 1934 and got married in 1968. Alexander Thynne is 50 years old, meaning he was born in 1962, when Lord Christopher was 18 years old (and before his marriage to Lady Antonia).
Lord Christopher would have been 28 years old in 1962, not 18 years old. But then again, 18-year-olds can become fathers too.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The Longleat clan have a well earned reputation for "eccentricities", but I don't think his sentence is very unusual for someone who has admitted his problems, is attempting to get clean and who is employed full time. He was not accused of trafficing which would have resulted in a harsher sentence.
With that much stuff at his place, he's a lucky man to have gotten off the charge. How would someone who is "attempting" to get/stay clean be able to live around his devil? He's either using non-stop or dealing. Were the plants confiscated?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Lord Christopher would have been 28 years old in 1962, not 18 years old. But then again, 18-year-olds can become fathers too.
That was a typo, thanks for noticing it!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Commoner

I was hoping to start a conversation in this thread about the pros and cons of moving from male primogeniture to absolute primogeniture within the English nobility. I can see the rationale for keeping the bulk of the estate intact along with the title by passing it to one child, otherwise the family history and estates will peter away to nothing by being constantly split, generation after generation between many children.

Many monarchies have now moved to absolute primogeniture, and it is likely (or certain?) that whatever the sex of Kate & William's first child, that child will one day be monarch (barring unfortunate circumstances). But it seems easier to change the primogeniture form for the throne, than for all the separate titles. I think this may require a separate act of parliament for each title, no? Not sure on the legal specifics here.

I think everyone rational and non-misogynistic now accepts that women are as equally capable as men, and just as able to be intelligent. I myself am I feminist and can imagine being quite offended if I was the position of a being a first born and a daughter of the Duke of X, and being essentially told you are unworthy to inherit the estate simply because you are a woman and your younger brother will be hitting the jackpot just because he is male.

One notable issue could be the importance of the family name and the fact that tradition dictates that women change their name when they marry. For example, the Dukes of Devonshire's family name is Cavendish and it is very much part of their identity. This issue could circumvented in absolute primogeniture by including some sort of caveat in the amended title that the bearer must carry the surname of X or just having a new family tradition that the title bearer should carry surname X.

There is quite a large article which discusses the background of primogeniture over at wiki.

What are everyone's thoughts on the concept and the actual mechanics of changing it? I would love hear everyone's varying thoughts, even if they don't necessarily agree.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Nobility

I hate to see titles die out due to lack of a male heir. It is highly unlikely that any future heriditary titles will be created outside of the royal family. So rather than see the titles die I would prefer that it could be inherited by a daughter. Certainly there is no reason to believe that a woman is less able or worthy than a man.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Majesty

I think that the most outrageous example of the inequity of the situation is Princess Beatice. She is able to inherit the throne but not her father's title of York simply because she is the wrong gender.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Serene Highness

Yeah, that is a bit weird.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

What benefit to society is there for hereditary peerages to continue if the male line becomes extinct. I cannot see any imperative to re-create all of their patents in order to continue with the peerage.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Marquess of Northampton battling his latest spouse over £25m fortune amid secret lover claims | Mail Online
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Michael Abney-Hastings, 14th Earl of Loudoun, passed away on 30 June 2012 at Jerilderie, New South Wales, Australia. He was 69 year old.

He was born on 22 July 1942, the son of Captain Walter Strickland Lord and his wife Barbara Abney-Hastings, the 13th Countess of Loudoun.
He was married since 1969 to Noeline Margaret McCormick, by whom he had two sons and two daughters.
In 2002, at the death of his mother, he succeeded her as 14th Earl of Loudoun.
In 2004 Channel 4 documentary "Britain’s Real Monarch" arose the claim that King Edward IV of England was conceived illegitimately and therefore he and his descendants weren't the rightful English sovereigns; instead, the Earl of Lousoun - as the direct descendant of George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence - should be the rightful King. This claim, however, is disputed among historians, and neither the 14th Earl of Loudoun took it seriously.

He is survived by his wife and their children; his eldest son, Simon Michael Abney-Hastings (Lord Mauchline), succeeds him as 15th Earl of Loudoun.

Rightful king dies - Local News - News - General - The Daily Advertiser
Peerage News: 14th Earl of Loudoun (1942-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Another obituary of the late Earl of Loudon, from the Telegraph:
The Earl of Loudoun - Telegraph
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Rosamond, Countess of Cardigan, née Winkley, passed away on 4 July 2012 aged 63. She has been suffering of pancreatic cancer for 6 months.

She was born in 1948, and married in 1980 to David Brudenell-Bruce, Earl of Cardigan (son and heir of the 8th Marquess of Ailesbur). They became parents of two children; their marriage ended in divorce in 2009.
She is survived by her two children, Thomas (Viscount Savernake) and Lady Catherine (best known as Bo Bruce).

Peerage News: Rosamond Countess of Cardigan dies aged 63
http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...dies__aged_63/

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility