The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity. Lady Catherine Anna's attempts to show her human side are futile.
I don't think it's got anything to do with her "human side", I just watched this girl from last nights show and she has an amazing voice. This is a show to get your voice noticed on, that is simply what Bo wanted to do. At least she didn't go on The X Factor.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Duke of Westminster's Grosvenor suffers 20pc fall in profits
Quote:
Grosvenor, which owns swathes of Belgravia and Mayfair in London, said pre-tax profits fell from £395m to £315m. Commercial property values around the world have recovered sharply since slumping in the aftermath of the financial crisis and dragging Grosvenor into the red in 2008 and 2009.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina
It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
...I just watched this girl from last nights show and she has an amazing voice.
Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce, daughter of the Earl of Cardigan

Judge for yourselves...

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Not bad.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Has Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce got a formal education in music? I always thought that one has to graduate from a conservatoire to actually sing. I guess I am very old fashioned.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think that's true at all. A formal music education might teach you some technics, but the most important thing is that you can sing in the first place.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina
Has Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce got a formal education in music? I always though that one has to graduate from a conservatoire to actually sing. I guess I am very old fashioned.
She didn't say anything on the show about being educated in music, but IMO you don't have to have graduated like you say. Many amazing singers teach themselves.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity. Lady Catherine Anna's attempts to show her human side are futile.
She has right to fulfill her dreams, like everyone of us. If she is talented in this field, why shouldn't she go that way?
Now young aristocrats want to live like their contemporaries-commoners.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Lady Catherine can pursue her dreams. All her struggles and attempts to reach the signing celebretyhood appear cheap to me. She is as embarrassing as Lord Nicholas.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

She sings very well, and she is very cute. Just about anyone with a voice can sing modern music. Generally, people interested in becoming classical vocalists go the conservatoire route. It takes a lot of coaching and practice to be able to make it in the opera or classical music world. Unless one is a natural talent in that vein, i.e. Jackie Evancho. This talented miss is now taking singing lessons.

I see nothing wrong with Bo wanting a career.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness

We are so proud of what we have achieved for the people and their human rights compared to former times. But doesn't that necessary mean that we have to get rid of old ideas about the suitable way to live of Ladies of the highest aristocracy as well? In former times a Marquesses' daughter (and that will one day become of Bo Bruce, when her father inherits her grandfather's title) could only marry well or live at home as unpaied companion for her eldest brother's wife. Today she can become a popstar.

And this is nothing new for a child of a marquess. Anyone remembers Lord David Dundas' hit: "Jeans On" from the 70ties? Lord David is the son of the Marquess of Zetland and, though musician, never really embarrassed his family and lineage. About time women are treated equal to men. Or not?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

On related news:

Earl of Cardigan loses paintings court battle
Earl loses court battle to stop sale of ancestors' portraits
Quote:
The Earl of Cardigan has lost a High Court battle to stop portraits of his ancestors being sold to raise funds.
The earl, David Brudenell-Bruce, 59, had claimed he was entitled to "use of the paintings" under the terms of a lease and wanted to block the sale. But trustees of the family estate at Savernake, in Wiltshire disputed his claim and said the paintings were not part of the lease. A judge ruled against the earl at a High Court hearing in London earlier.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Commoner

As time goes by many changes occur in aristocracy, noble familes,etc.

In my own family a cousin of my father married a Baronet (Canada had a few that settled here), who while holding the family title didn't receive the family wealth (that had been handed down a couple of generations back to another child).

Hard to judge how current members of those families make a living when circumstances change due to inheritance or just by the fact they can't raise money like their forefather's could (and aren't most Brits grateful for that). Also keep in mind even the Royal family have opened up their castles to the public to raise funds to help them maintain their vast holdings.
Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the Mountbattens have been moved to The Battenberg - Mountbattens .

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyoftheLake View Post
As time goes by many changes occur in aristocracy, noble familes,etc.

In my own family a cousin of my father married a Baronet (Canada had a few that settled here), who while holding the family title didn't receive the family wealth (that had been handed down a couple of generations back to another child).

Hard to judge how current members of those families make a living when circumstances change due to inheritance or just by the fact they can't raise money like their forefather's could (and aren't most Brits grateful for that). Also keep in mind even the Royal family have opened up their castles to the public to raise funds to help them maintain their vast holdings.
No one disputes it. Having said that, it would fair to say that members of noble families have got a better shot at entering prestigious educational institutions and securing better employment places. Some representatives of the noble class seem to enjoy wallowing in self-pity.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You probably wouldn't approve of Lady Emma Herbert either. She is a circus trapeze artist, stuntwoman and instructor.
Lady Emma Herbert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

There is and will be always trash among a higher stratum of the society not appreciating what they have. These individuals do not aspire to be usual boring doctors or engineers, but to be a low-grade performers. I guess we need clowns too, even if they are of a noble origin.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

But surely the aim is to follow one's dream, and not be tied by accidence of birth? The times were nobility was "tied" with the land, when its very existence was to serve the country at all times, are now gone; nowadays, they are free to aspire to be whatever they choose to, just as someone not born to nobility or aristocracy can aspire to become an MP, a doctor or a lawyer - professions quite out of their reach just a century ago.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I firmly of the opinion that the entertainment industry is not a good place for career.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

So am I. Show business in our days is unfortunately far too corrupt and undignified, in my opinion; nevertheless, a person must make his or her own choices in life, not tied by mere accidence of birth in one class or the other.

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility