The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

Well, in the past Lindsay has "designed" her wardrobe so that her panty-less state would be photographed. I guess it's possible that Victoria, at her age, is up to the same sort of stunts - while Lindsay appears to be calming down!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Well at 35 Victoria is a bit past it when it comes to being an "it girl" but I suppose she will take publicity anyway she can get it these days.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Debutantes - YouTube

A rather charming portrait of the aristocracy and the prewar debutante season. The now elderly couples being interviewd about their youth remind me so much of my late parents, especially the comments made by one of the ladies about young gentlemen wearing white gloves when dancing so as not to leave sweat stains on the backs of ladies dresses. My mother often comments when we were younger on how our generation lacked glamour and romance.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Knighthood annulled

BBC News - Fred Goodwin: A very British humiliation
Two members of the House of Lords have been jailed; Lord Archer for perjury, Lord Watson for fire-raising. They sit in the upper house of the nation's legislature, but they haven't had their titles removed for serious breach of the law.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Debutantes - YouTube

A rather charming portrait of the aristocracy and the prewar debutante season. The now elderly couples being interviewd about their youth remind me so much of my late parents, especially the comments made by one of the ladies about young gentlemen wearing white gloves when dancing so as not to leave sweat stains on the backs of ladies dresses. My mother often comments when we were younger on how our generation lacked glamour and romance.

This was fascinating!
There was a similar video at Kensington Palace recently along with a display of Deb dresses; it was like another world!

(In a way, I wish the Queen hadn't discontinued the court presentations; I understand it, with so much corruption creeping in, but it was such a glamorous thing to see!) One of the women commented about how people would stand in the street to look at the Debs and their clothes- it must have been fun.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Joan Bakewell: My mother had depression which made me love being at school | Mail Online

Journalist and broadcaster Baroness Bakewell, 78, has two grown-up children and six grandchildren.
She is twice divorced and lives alone in north London.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Debutantes - YouTube

My dear NGalitzine,

Thank you for posting this link. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing a civilization that is truly "gone with the wind" (my apologies to Margaret Mitchell). Those days will never be recaptured. I was amazed at the resiliency of these debs--the war turned their society upside down but they did not seem to mind. There did not seem to be any snobbishness once they took jobs with their fellow citizens or any sense of entitlement which made them feel superior to the others. In fact, it seemed to be the other way around--people expected the aristocrats to put on airs. It must have been lovely to have experienced both worlds.

Hey, my 1100 Post!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Russian oligarch, the Old Etonian billionaire and deeply disturbing questions about Lord Mandelson's integrity | Mail Online
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey

.Too good to pass up! .

From the MailOnline - England's Lost Downtons

The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey

The 5th Marquess died in Monte Carlo in 1904, aged 30, with debts of 544,000 (the equivalent of over 30 million today), leaving a wardrobe that featured, among other items, 260 pairs of kid gloves, 200 gold ‘scarf pins’ and 100 dressing gowns.

Image not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	283440  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

BBC News - Evidence on Lord Lucan's 'secret life in Africa'
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Baron Carr, former Tory cabinet minister dies, aged 95 - Telegraph
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since Lord Lucan vanished following the murder of his children's nanny in 1974, theories regarding his fate have been numerous and far-fetched.

Read more: We found Lord Lucan...'s watch! Newly discovered time-piece 'could hold vital clue to missing aristocrat's whereabouts' | Mail Online
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The engagement was announced on 20 February 2012 between Ruaridh C. M. Hook and Lady Charlotte Rose FitzRoy.

Mr. Hook is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hook.
Lady Charlotte is the third daughter of the late James FitzRoy, Earl of Euston (son of the late 11th Duke of Grafton) and his wife Clare, Countess of Euston (daughter of the 12th Marquess of Lothian).

Peerage News: Hook/Fitzroy engagement
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Two British engineers are convinced they saw the elusive Lord Lucan in a bar in Africa.
Engineers Lawrie Prebble and Ian Meyrick have come forward to say they are 'completely convinced' the man they saw drinking in a hotel bar in Botswana with six friends is the legendary Lucan.

Read more: Lord Lucan 'seen drinking in a bar in Africa': 2 Britons claim they saw fugitive in Botswana | Mail Online
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

A gang of thieves are being hunted by police after stealing 37,800 worth of artefacts that once belonged to Lord Nelson.

Read more: 37,800 worth of Lord Nelson's personal artefacts stolen from Norwich Castle | Mail Online
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

The son of fugitive Lord Lucan today confirmed that he WAS sent on a trip to Africa, where it is claimed the missing Earl would watch him from a distance.

Read more: Lord Lucan's son: I haven't seen my father since the night our nanny was murdered | Mail Online
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Duke of Devonshire at war with villagers on Chatsworth Estate over plans to turn a quarter of the homes into holiday rentals

Quote:
It could be the storyline to one of the many period dramas played out in the surrounds of nearby Chatsworth House.The Duke of Devonshire, who owns the historic property in Derbyshire, is locked in a feudal row with villagers on his vast estate over plans to turn yet more homes in their community into holiday rentals. Tenants in the 'tied' hamlet of Beeley are fighting an application by the Chatsworth Estate to convert three small, stone-built cottages into hotel rooms for well-heeled visitors to the Peak District.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Do It Daphne! Guinness Shines In Short Film Based On Ancient Chinese Legend
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

My spiralling mess of drugs and drink... by the Earl's girl who is starring on The Voice
Quote:
The aristocrat who triumphed on last night’s edition of The Voice spent years battling an addiction to drugs and drink – and is currently dividing her time between the show and the hospital bedside of her very ill mother. Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce, 27 – the daughter of the Earl of Cardigan – who appeared on the hit BBC1 show under her stage name Bo Bruce, has revealed how her life was a ‘spiralling mess of drugs and alcohol’.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity. Lady Catherine Anna's attempts to show her human side are futile.

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility