The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Yes, I believe so as long as he is willing (I gather) to take the title.

For example, the Duke of Norfolk (I didn't cut them all just the last 100 plus years) from Wikipedia:

Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk (1791–1856), only son of the 12th Duke
Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 14th Duke of Norfolk (1815–1860), eldest son of the 13th Duke

Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk (1847–1917), eldest son of the 14th Duke
  • Philip Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Surrey, Earl of Arundel (1879–1902), eldest son of the 15th Duke, died unmarried
At one time the title did become extinct because they were no male heirs and it was recreated 1481 and in 1483 and has been with the Howard family since that time.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Zonk, that confirms what I had suspected.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Right, that's what I'm asking about--in principle, as long as there is at least 1 living and eligible descendant of any of the previous Duke of the current creation of the Dukedom, the Dukedom will remain extant?
Generally, if the current male line becomes extinct, then the next available heir would be the most senior male line descendant of a previous duke.

For example, if the 15th duke dies without a male heir and without brothers, the family may have to be traced back to, say, the 12th duke to find the next living heir.

But inheritance also depends upon how the letters patent for the title are written, and whether at any point the LP has been changed. In other words, the titleholder may petition to have a new patent issued to change who gets to inherit, although that usually results in a separate title.

When it was clear that Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Kent, would have no male heir, a new title was issued for him in 1740.. 1st Marquess de Grey.. which had a special remainder allowing his eldest granddaughter to inherit his marquessate. The Dukedom died with him, but Jemima Yorke became the 2nd Marquess de Grey.

There is also the issue of when and where the title was created. Inheritance of an earldom in the peerage of Scotland, for example, can often be settled on an eldest living female because the Scots have historically been more willing to accept female inheritance than their English counterparts.. the earldom of Dysart comes to mind, as that title has had several Countesses in its history.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks QM, that was very interesting!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's not your average jumble sale.
But after putting his £25m home on the market last year, Viscount Cowdray has now decided to unload its contents - in hopes of raising £15m.
The goods, including books, clocks, carpets and even a pair of prams, are expected to fetch £4m - with an additional £11m raised by two auctions for art and family silver. ...
Read more: £6m Gainsborough not seen for half a century is the star attraction at 'world's poshest jumble sale' | Mail Online
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

So I have a question: are British nobility/aristocracy treated the same way royalty are?

I ask, because I was watching Pregnant in Heels on Bravo and Rosie Pope (who claims she was a former baroness and so therefore allegedly knows all the ins-and-outs) kept on insisting that there was a certain protocol that had to followed when talking to a Lord. (A couple were going to ask Lord Wedgewood to be their child's godparent and she told them they had to fix tea, English deserts, and stop eating and/or drinking when he did. Also, they had to use an New York English style location.)

[I use the term allegedly because she kept referring to Lord Wedgewood as "royalty" and as a "royal." (Yet, based on what was said about him & his ancestry on the show, Lord Wedgewood isn't a royal, he's an aristocrat. Which means "I know it all" Pope effed up her terminology because she wanted to show off how important she is. And, she was!)]
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

I believe Rosie Pope is massively off the mark. What's up with not eating or drinking when Lord Wedgewood stopped eating or drinking? I believe that practice was reserved for dining with kings, queens and tsars during the nineteenth century. It would certainly not apply when having a lord or lady over for tea.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Nobility

Oh my.. this woman absolutely does not have a clue what she's talking about. I had to actually watch the episode myself.. even though I abhor reality TV.

Total rubbish!

If Rosie Pope ever was a baroness (which I highly doubt!), then I can see why she isn't any longer.. especially if she cannot distinguish the difference between an actual member of the royal family and a member of the nobility!

I felt bad for her client..

Lord Wedgewood is not in any way related to the BRF. He is the 3rd great grandson of Josiah Wedgewood - a potter - a famous potter to be sure, but definitely not a royal.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for answering! I thought she seemed fishy, but I don't know enough about British nobility & aristocracy, so I wanted confirmation.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Gentry

Nobility are NOT royal unless HRH like Earl and Duchess of Wessex, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Duchess of Cornwall.

There is a protocol for forms of address to Dukes etc but used less and less and certainly nowhere near what was described
Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's The Earl and Countess of Wessex. Sophie is not a Duchess. Charles and Andrew hold Ducal titles too, as does Her Majesty.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Are there any pics of British nobles who attended the royal wedding?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Are there any pics of British nobles who attended the royal wedding?
I haven't seen any, or even a list of which members of the nobility were invited.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Westminster attended the wedding; she is one of William's godparents.
The Duchess of Westminster Photos - Zimbio
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting decision made by a Baroness who is working in the House of Lords
Forget daycare I'm off to the House of Lords! Breast feeding Baroness first to feed her son on the job (and it's only taken 700 years) | Mail Online
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting indeed. I would never work while breastfeeding though.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad to hear that she is pregnant,but never knew that once her sister was engaged to her actual husband,Earl of Durham
Socialite Marina Hanbury and the Earl of Durham are expecting their first child | Mail Online

It's a pity to hear of a final divorce of a couple,but that is the way .I have a feeling that in a private life Zac Goldsmith took definitely his father's route
Zac Goldsmith free to marry lover Alice Rothschild after 'imminent' divorce | Mail Online
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson shows off her new nose for first time after operation | Mail Online
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Esme, Dowager Countess of Cromer, has died peacefully in hospital at the age of 88 after a short illness.

A former Lady-in-Waiting to the Queen, artist and author, she was a co-chairman of the Founding Council of the Rothermere American Institute, an international centre of excellence at the University of Oxford for the study of the United States.

Her father was the second Viscount Rothermere and she was an aunt of Jonathan Harmsworth, the fourth Viscount Rothermere and Chairman of The Daily Mail and General Trust, which publishes the Daily Mail.

Read more: Esme, the Dowager Countess of Cromer, dies | Mail Online

Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Commoner

The always colourful Marquess of Bath had a spot of bother with his 'wifelets':

Police called after 'wifelets' brawl over who gets to sleep with the Marquess of Bath

Some more info on the Marquess & family:

Marquess of Bath 'to be a father' at age of 76

Longleat's management has been recently handed over to the heir, Ceawlin Henry Lazlo Thynn, Viscount Weymouth:

Marquess of Bath hands Longleat to his son

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility