The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to Lady Alexandra and Mr Hooper!:flowers::flowers:

I liked simplicity of the look and a very delicate veil.

Lady Brabourne is a personification of aristocratism and grace in excruciating situations. It is nice to see Princess Alexandra attending the wedding.

Last edited:
What a classic and beautiful wedding gown ... also love the outfits on the flower girls! I feel for Countess Brabourne -- she looks quite old (Yes, she's 92 ... but compared to her cousin -- Duke of Edinburgh). JMHO

Congratulations to the couple! :flowers:

It appears that this was quite an important society wedding, there was indeed a good royal turnout! I loved Lady Alexandra's dress, it was beautiful and I liked the simple appearance of it. Her tiara looked great with the veil, too. I thought the bridesmaids' dresses were pretty as well. Does anyone know why there were a few school pupils there dressed in uniform (on a Saturday) - were they used for security measures?

Her wedding dress was lovely- simple, well-fitted, and elegant.

Very interesting that Prince Charles gave her away.

It appears that this was quite an important society wedding, there was indeed a good royal turnout! I loved Lady Alexandra's dress, it was beautiful and I liked the simple appearance of it. Her tiara looked great with the veil, too. I thought the bridesmaids' dresses were pretty as well. Does anyone know why there were a few school pupils there dressed in uniform (on a Saturday) - were they used for security measures?
Children from The Mountbatten School, which was set up by Miss Knatchbull’s great-grandfather in 1969 and to whom she is now patron, were also in attendance at the ceremony.
The Queen attends 'society wedding of the year' as Prince Charles gives away Lord Mountbatten's great granddaughter*

P.S. Maybe it will be better to have separate thread for this wedding

Last edited:
Beautidul wedding there were 3 queens princesses from germany and jordan and greece very good so many presence

Does anyone know why there were a few school pupils there dressed in uniform (on a Saturday) - were they used for security measures?

The bride is Patron of the Mountbatten School in Romsey. It is possible they were invited as representatives of the school.

Yeah, likely due to not wanting him walking his daughter to the alter to make a sacred vow having broke his. I mean he's there at the wedding for crying out loud, lol.

Then again, Charles also broke his vow. So it really didn't make that much sense.

Charles didn't left his family behind to fly with his mistress to the other side of the globe...
Interestingly Lady Alexandra was one of the godchildren of Diana...

She didn't attend.

Alexandra has one brother Nicholas so DM have just chosen to make up things now.

Officially down to ill health, but it probably has something to do with her fathers years long affair.

So, they picked a man who had an affair for years

Charles didn't left his family behind to fly with his mistress to the other side of the globe...

So, it depended on where you were living.? What hypocrisy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hon. Alexandra. She will become Lady Alexandra when her father is earl

Prince William's old school friend and fellow Etonian James Tollemache attended the wedding with his wife, Princess Florence von Preussen - who is the great-great-granddaughter of Kaiser Wilhem II

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/25/18/35A6E99B00000578-3659684-image-a-7_1466874016750.jpg

Florrie's aunt Miranda (half sister of her mother) was once married to Sir Nicholas Nuttal, BT, who later married Jeannie McWheeny, who was Norton's other woman

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it depended on where you were living.? What hypocrisy.

Don't be childish. Lord brabourne left, litteraly, his family to live very publicly with his mistress in the Bahamas. Penny had to deal, alone, with their huge estate, and the BRF, especially the Duke of Edimburg and Charles, were very supportive. Plus her son and Charles's godson, Nicholas Knatchbull, had some serious drugs problems...
Is it so unthinkable that Alexandra chose to share this special moment with a very special and supportive friend like Charles instead of her father ?
Charles has his faults (kindly reminded like everydays on this forum) but i hope he can still be a decent man and gently lead a friend to the altar without being ashamed or seeking forgiveness on his knees for his very own, and past, sins...
Sometimes, i really wonder ...

Last edited:
It's is nice for Charles to do this for Diana's goddaughter.

It's is nice for Charles to do this for Diana's goddaughter.

He's a friend of her parents, grandparents, family and adored her great-grandfather. I doubt his being asked and accepting had anything to do with his ex-wife.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

He's a friend of her parents, grandparents, family and adored her great-grandfather. I doubt his being asked and accepting had anything to do with his ex-wife.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I didn't say it had anything to do with his ex, I just said that its nice that he did this for her and just mentioning that she's Diana's goddaughter.

Last edited:
The bride was stunning. A simple dress but paired with a beautiful veil :flowers:

It must be a bit sad for the FOB not to walk his daughter down the aisle. I can understand the pain she feels though over his affair. It is great the British royals were so supportive of her mother, her and her siblings. I am sure Charles was happy to do the honors :)

Lovely to see her grandmother though the Countess is looking very frail :sad:

Definitely a big turnout, including some foreign royals.

Does anyone know what is the latest on the Broadlands inheritance saga? Last I heard (admittedly some years ago), Nicholas will inherit the title, but the Baron and Baroness want the estate and its care to go to Alexandra.

Alexandra seems like a smart lady, with her head firmly screwed on.

The Hon Nicholas Knatchbull indeed will inherit the titles once his father passes away. There is nothing to change about that.

Nicholas will become the 9th Baron Brabourne, 4th Earl Mountbatten of Burma and 4th Baron Romsey. From what I understood, the Mountbatten estate will become under custody of a Board of Trustees, so that the future Lord Nicholas can not destroy what has been build up by generations before him.

His sister The Hon Alexandra Knatchbull married this weekend. The Hon Nicholas Knatchbull wanted to marry an Eritrean nurse once but that seems just a typical Daily Mail story.

Last edited:
The title will of course pass to their son. The daughters inheriting only applied to Patricia and Pamela. That is the difference between a letter patent and heirs general. The letter patent applies to the generation in question, and only to those named (only Patricia and Pamela are in line, no other female descendents). Heirs general, which is common in Scotland, is continuous. In the absence of a male heir, a female can inherit.

The estate itself though is private property. And if the estate was put in trust, the person who it is in trust for doesn't necessarily have to be Nicholas. There are 2 large estates in question, so if the rumors about Alexandra were true, Nicholas would not be left homeless. The Braboune family has their own estate, which has been the seat of the earldom as well since Patricia inherited. The estate mersham-hatch in Kent has been in the family since the 15th century. Not sure about the old manor house (if it still stands even) but Patricia lives in Newhouse manor on the estate.

Last edited:
My memory is fading quickly and no hot coffee made so correct me if I'm wrong.

Penny Romsey and the Duke of Edinburgh have always had a strong, close relationship with each other and were often pictured together carriage driving. There is a tie between Broadlands and Buckingham Palace that goes back decades and decades. This is Philip's family.

I thought it was quite fitting for Charles to step in and give the bride away as his relationship with the family has also been quite strong from his beloved Uncle Dickie to the woman, Amanda Knatchbull, to whom he did propose and was turned down as the "spark" just wasn't there and they wanted different things. Charles and Diana also spent the first night of their honeymoon at Broadlands.

As much as I have read that HM doesn't usually attend weddings, funerals and coronations, I know I would have been very surprised had she and Philip not attended this wedding. The ties are just too strong.

Did Lady Amanda Knatchbull Ellingworth's husband Charles Ellingworth attend the wedding?

The bride is Patron of the Mountbatten School in Romsey. It is possible they were invited as representatives of the school.

Thanks for the more detailed answer, that would explain their attendance. I think that's a nice gesture, if we are now both correct in our assumption that they are representatives of the school.

Diana was only her godmother because she was married to Charles.

The point is that she's Diana's goddaughter and it was nice of Charles to give her away. Although, it looked a bit off having her father there looking perfectly fine to walk in the church.

The point is that she's Diana's goddaughter and it was nice of Charles to give her away. Although, it looked a bit off having her father there looking perfectly fine to walk in the church.

I believe the point is that Charles doing this has absolutely nothing to do with Diana having been her godmother.

Charles did this because of his personal relationship with the family. Not because of Diana's relationship (which itself was only owing to Charles' relationship).

IMO, her father looked ill. He looked like he had difficulty walking. His gait did not look like a man who was well.

Diana had nothing to do with Charles being selected. This is beyond reaching.

I believe the point is that Charles doing this has absolutely nothing to do with Diana having been her godmother.

Charles did this because of his personal relationship with the family. Not because of Diana's relationship (which itself was only owing to Charles' relationship).

I never said Charles did this because she's Diana's goddaughter. I'm just mentioning that she is Diana's goddaughter.

Charles and Norton are 1st cousins once removed. Norton's mother is Charles' godmother, and Charles' father is Norton's godfather. They grew up together and were good friends, schoolmates at Gordonstoun. They named each other godfather to each other's first born son, and Norton named Charles' wife as godmother to his daughter. Nicholas and William were once friends, prior to the drug issues (Nicholas was arrested by one of William's RPOs for drugs). Since Norton ran off, Charles as well as his father have all stepped in and been support to Penelope and Alexandra. So indeed, him walking her down the aisle has nothing to do with Diana and everything to do with a long family bond, not simply based on blood.

Back
Top Bottom